• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I've added the following movies to my Netflix queue:

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Rubber
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Rubber

That gives me 8 horror movies to watch, plus I still have my Dracula and Frankenstein rewatches, so that should carry me for the rest of the month.

ElTopo

Banned
pBuZy7F.jpg

#17 - Pieces
Yess! FInally something truly awesome, the highlight of the month so far for me. There is a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense plotwise, but honestly it does not matter since it is so much fun. There is lots of co-ed nudity, gorey and bloody chainsaw killings and a rather terrible dub, what else could you ask for. Also that final shot wtffffff. 8/10

It's exactly what you think it is!

Moreso. Way better than the original. I hated the original too and thought the remake was 10X better.

I'll check it out then, thanks. I wrote it off as more cheap crap after seeing the crappy poster.

pBuZy7F.jpg

#17 - Pieces
Yess! FInally something truly awesome, the highlight of the month so far for me. There is a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense plotwise, but honestly it does not matter since it is so much fun. There is lots of co-ed nudity, gorey and bloody chainsaw killings and a rather terrible dub, what else could you ask for. Also that final shot wtffffff. 8/10

I should have mentioned earlier that the subtitled version is better. The dub changes the muisc and makes it cheesier. The Spanish version has a more horror soundtrack and a better script, which I think makes all the absurdity on screen even better.

I've added the following movies to my Netflix queue:

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Rubber
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Rubber

That gives me 8 horror movies to watch, plus I still have my Dracula and Frankenstein rewatches, so that should carry me for the rest of the month.

Rubber is complete garbage. Watch the trailer and you've seen everything good about it. Such a waste of an awesome killer tire :(

I attended a "12 Hours of Terror" event at a cinema in Cleveland last night/this morning. It had seven films so this post will be a bit longer than usual. Sorry in advance.

---

Somehow hadn't seen this one before now. Really glad I did now though. Fantastic effects, atmosphere, and just an overall great horror film. It's considered a classic for a reason.

I actually saw this one not that long ago. If I knew about the marathon I would've waited. I don't think it's that great of a film but the ending is really something.

It was pretty cool to see it in a theater with a fair amount of people who hadn't seen it before/didn't know the twist.

Apparently this film hasn't really played anywhere yet? We were told we were the first in Cleveland to see this film. It was a found footage film based around sasquatch/big foot. Mixed feelings on this overall. It had it's moments but I'm not personally a fan of found footage and as with a fair chunk of horror films the ending was really divisive.

Not a fan of this series (it's my least favorite of the big three) at all but this one was pretty okay. Probably the best outside of the first two.

Had a lot of fun with this one. Pretty sure it wouldn't be a classic Vincent Price film when thought about in context of his career but it was good for what it was.

Didn't have high expectations for this one but was pleasantly surprised. A corny but good 80s monster film.

The most exciting part of the marathon for me. As a fan of both the original and the 03 remake it was about time I saw this. The change in tone is definitely a bit jarring but after you have the chance to adjust it's just a great time.

I kind of feel like this is the kind of thing Rob Zombie tries to accomplish with some of his films but doesn't always succeed.

The chainsaw fight had me in tears.
---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)
13. 28 Days Later...
14. 28 Weeks Later
15. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
16. May
17. Halloween (2007)
18. White Zombie
19. Halloween II (2009)
20. Wrong Turn
21. Suspiria

inm8num2

#19 - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes 1963)
220px-X-RayEyes_Rep.jpg

Great Corman flick! It's more sci-fi than horror, but the film expertly builds the horror elements to an ending shot that stays with the viewer. Great visual effects for some of the POV shots as well.

Full viewing list

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
2. The Thing from Another World
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
4. Grave Encounters
5. The Thing (1982) (rewatch)
6. Shadow of the Vampire (rewatch)
7. Bram Stoker's Dracula (rewatch)
8. Paranorman (rewatch)
9. Cropsey
10. Halloween (2007)
11. Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht (1979) (rewatch)
12. The Descent (rewatch)
13. Night of the Creeps
14. Saw
15. Hellraiser

Falling a little behind :/

I forgot exactly how fucking good Herzog's Nosferatu is. I think I like better than the original, even. It's utterly haunting, and by far the most unsettling vampire film I've ever seen. I love the interpretation of Dracula's castle in it, too. It manages to be even creepier by not being the stereotypical dusty, dark, gothic behemoth

Movie #19: Willow Creek.

This big foot focused flick is disappointing. They waste far too much time setting everything up especially given its short runtime. I also found it crazy that they spent almost 20 minutes with the camera framed solely on the two characters reacting to to sound just to set up a couple of decent jump scares.

I am also slightly confused about a bit near the end.
So after the night of noises (I guess the big feet weren't ready to attack and kill them yet) the camera comes back and they talk about how they want to the fuck out of there and it is almost dawn. That's cool makes sense, however when they get lost and pass the same tree again, Kelly says that they've been out there for three hours and that it is almost night again. How does that work?

I get that suspension of disbelief is a part of horror movies, but I find the amount that you can ask of audience in a found footage is less than that of other horror films. It is something Willow Creek and a lot of others in the sub-genre struggle with.

Anyways. Willow Creek is not good. I love the concept and think maybe it would have worked better as a short in an anthology and was more economical with its time.

13. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

I'm familiar with the concept and sex appeal of Elvira, but this is my first time actually seeing some of her material, and I'm surprised how much she flaunts her sexuality more than just an open-cut dress. It's not as much a horror movie as one might think, as it's mostly about the lively, voluptuous Elvira clashing with the prudish Mayberry-esque town she's staying in, and the horror plot is only in a few scenes throughout until it's finally unleashed in the final half-hour. Overall, this isn't a bad movie, but the character of Elvira doesn't appeal that much to me for some reason. On the plus side, it does have that '80s-ness in a few scenes, like
the Flashdance homage, or the rap number at the end
, as well as featuring Edie McClurg, who you might recognize as Grace the secretary from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, or the car rental lady from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Wait, Cassandra Peterson is 63 now?

1. White Zombie
2. Shadow of the Vampire
3. The Cabin in the Woods
4. The Stuff
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
6: Dawn of the Dead (1978)
7. Day of the Dead
8. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
9. Stephen King's Children of the Corn
10. The Blair Witch Project
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
12. Ravenous

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
16. Critters.
Crittersposter.jpg

Should've left this one in my childhood. Can't believe this shit used to be scary to me. So corny. I'll probably still watch the sequels at some point this month, though.

17. Alien Resurrection.

I'm glad Firefly got cancelled.

18. Las Brujas de Zugarramurdi (Witching and Bitching on Netflix).

The English title doesn't do this movie justice. You'd think it would be a crappy direct-to-dvd affair, but it's actually pretty legit. Not really scary, but entertaining and unexpected. I was continually surprised by the events as they transpired. That's really hard to encounter in horror movies today. I dug it.

15. Day of the Dead(Hulu). Bun was okay but didn't care for this. Watched the Battery again to wash the taste out.

1. Aaah! Zombies!! (Hulu) decent
2. Candyman (Crackle) good
3. Silent Night, Zombie Night (Hulu) forgettable, not worth your time
4. White Zombie (Hulu) didn't get into it
5. The Blob (1958) (Hulu) good
6. Carrie (2013) (Amazon) bad
7. Student Bodies (Amazon) bad
8. The Battery (Hulu) great
9. Phantoms (Amazon) surprisingly good, Ben Affleck is the bomb in it
10. Stalled (Amazon) great
11. Night of the Demons (blu) decent
12. Ghostbusters (Vudu) perfect
13. Scream (Vudu) classic
14. Monster Squad (Theater) I want a sequel
15. Day of the Dead (Hulu) bleh

Oreoleo

#13 Willow Creek

Unmarked spoilers but you shouldn't watch this anyway so who cares.

I can't believe someone in this thread said this was good... I have a soft spot for found footage movies so I tend to go easy on 'em but this was just absolutely derivative. The first half was okay as I found the style pretty grounded and believable (by which I mean it seemed like a real documentary due to the lack of any attempts at scares or suspense). But basically everything in the 2nd half was either poorly executed or beyond my suspension of disbelief. Basically the only scene in the movie that even attempts to be scary/unnerving is the two main characters sitting in front of the camera reacting to off-screen sounds. Which I do not have a problem with on principle. I think Blair Witch Project is an *excellent* movie and that's basically the entire movie. But here it just feels unearned as there is literally zero buildup or any kind of mood-setting to make the viewer feel uneasy. The movie could have on-screen cues for the audience "Be scared now!" and it would be just as effective (or ineffective as the case may be) as what is actually presented. There was a scene when the main characters were entering the forest and were stopped by a local who promptly turned rude and told them to GTFO. 1. This same exact scene happens in The Last Exorcism so I was immediately cynical about it. 2. I expected the rude local to show up in the 3rd act or have any sort of significance, but nope, just random asshole who shows up to pad the running time and serves zero purpose. I expected the noises the main characters heard from their tent to end up being that local and his friends getting revenge because they didn't heed his advice. That's basic story telling, to me. Instead it was a herd of Bigfeet, because that makes any sense. There's one bigfoot video from like 40 years ago and no one has seen any since.. but they huddle around campers tents at night making spooky noises, and then give them the opportunity to leave in the morning? Of course they get lost trying to get back to their car, which would be utterly predictable if it weren't for Pointless Angry Local whom I expected to have trashed their car so they'd be stranded in the wilderness. But no. They're just two idiot campers who didn't think to bring a GPS or map or mark their way back to the car or ANYTHING that normal people would do when camping in an unfamiliar, unmarked area. And as an aside I thought the male lead was really unlikable and while I get that they needed one of the leads to believe in bigfoot, his unwillingness to compromise/eagerness to believe every single thing he saw/heard was a result of bigfoot was irritating and embarrassing. I don't get how he landed his girlfriend, it's like everything that came out of his mouth was an attempt to get under her skin and be argumentative.

I think this is the most I've written about any of the movies I've watched this month. And it's because it was bad. Almost offensively bad. I actually believe I could make a better Bigfoot movie than this if given the means. 1.5/5

---
#1 The Conjuring
#2 Insidious
#3 Insidious: Chapter 2
#4 Sinister
#5 The Awakening
#6 Hellraiser
#7 The Last Exorcism
#8 The Last Exorcism Part 2
#9 You're Next
#10 Interview with the Vampire
#11 Alien
#12 Honeymoon

late posting and im to lazy to write reviews, but here is my list so far:

01. Children of the Corn (1984)
02. Children of the Corn (2009)
03. Halloween (1978)
04. Halloween II (1981)
05. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
06. Halloween 5 (1989)
07. Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
08. Halloween H20 20 Years Later (1998)
09. Halloween Resurrection (2002)
10. Halloween (2007)
11. Halloween II (2009)
12. Monster House (2006)
13. Afflicted (2013)
14. You're Next (2011)
15. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
16. The Woman in Black (2012)
17. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero (2014)
18. Dreamworks Spooky Stories (2009)
19. V/H/S/ 2 (2013)

White Man

I watched ALL the Children of the Corn and ALL of the Hellraiser sequels earlier this year over the course of 3 or 4 days. I don't know why I did it to myself.

Divius

I should have mentioned earlier that the subtitled version is better. The dub changes the muisc and makes it cheesier. The Spanish version has a more horror soundtrack and a better script, which I think makes all the absurdity on screen even better.
I actually saw the dub with subtitles, it was like like I was watching 2 different movies at once! :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I watched ALL the Children of the Corn and ALL of the Hellraiser sequels earlier this year over the course of 3 or 4 days. I don't know why I did it to myself.

I've only seen the first four Hellraiser movies. Are any of the others worth anything?

Oct. 19

320px-Twins_of_Evil_poster.jpg

The final film from Hammer's Karnstein trilogy deviates significantly from the J. Sheridan Le Fanu novella Carmilla; you could, in fact, change Count Karnstein's name to Schmidt and remove Carmilla's brief walk-on entirely without altering the core of the film, where the lesbian and erotic elements have been toned down in favour of a truly horrific atmosphere. The town of Karnstein is under siege by Vampires haunting Karnstein castle on one side and the witchfinder Brotherhood led by the puritan Gustav Weil (pronounced "Vile") on the other, when Weil's twin nieces arrive from Venice after the death of their parents... One is a "good girl", one less so, and so the plot thickens, twisting with secret trysts and a case of mistaken identity... Peter Cushing is brilliant as the deplorable Weil, managing to generate some sympathy for a thoroughly vile religious extremist with a penchant for burning attractive young women in the name of God. Mary and Madeleine Collinson are better Playboy Playmates than actresses, but their lines are over-dubbed by professionals, which helps, and they certainly aren't hard to look at. The film is decidedly grim, with few (if any) really admirable or likeable characters, but excellent production values including some terrific period sets and a solid script make for compelling viewing.

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other vampires week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)
  19. Twins of Evil (1971)

Wolf_Creek_2_poster.jpg

As I said at the beginning of the thread, even though I wouldn't be doing the full 31 days this year, I'd still be chiming in from time to time :)

Wolf Creek 2

Man, what a pleasant surprise this was!I saw the original waaaay back when it was first released and mostly just recall the main antagonist, Mick Taylor.I actually watched this in two parts due to having some wine the first night and passing out. The first half
with everything involving the first two victims
was okay with some pretty nasty gore (
seeing the boyfriend being harvested, including his cock...yikes!
, but I just wasn't into it. I was starting to get worried that the film was just gonna be average, considering its predecessor.Then, when I picked it up the second night where
the main victim takes over
, the film just becomes...well unhinged! Almost everything between Mick and protagonist is just gold and, you honestly don't know where the film is going to go. The absolute highlight is [/spoiler]the whole extended sequence in the main torture chamber and the mind games that ensue[/spoiler]I feel like this works due to the first film which established that A: Mick is genuinely an antagonist not to be fucked with and is completely unpredictable, B:
the film isn't afraid to kill off its cast as well as have unhappy endings
.Because of this,
you don't know who's going to win or not. Having known nothing about Wolf Creek 2, I genuinely didn't know if Mick would actually lose in this one
Its nuts that this movie took so long to get made (original came out in 2005), but I'm still glad it did and glad I watched it.

IMHO, Mick Taylor is a classic villain and more people should see these films.

8/10

Ridley327

Time to catch up on the reviews!

WEEK THREE (Oct 17): WOMEN IN HORROR

As a rule, I tend to not go after rape/revenge films for these marathons. I've got nothing against them personally, odd as that sounds, but with how they tend to get lumped into horror more often than not, you'd expect more of them to be, well, horror movies. While there's a longstanding feeling of rape being a worse fate than murder (and not without good reason), rape itself is rarely explored in a way in many of those films that doesn't begin and end at being rougher with an actress who just didn't have any better options for getting some screen time available for them. In a lot of cases, it feels like the act gets trivialized in the hands of people who want some empty provocation to go along with some skin.

Ms. 45 has a strong reputation of being a standout of the rape/revenge genre, and with enough arguments out there that managed to convince me about it being more of a straight horror film than it initially appears to be, I was swayed into putting it in the marathon. I was also eager to see something else directed by Abel Ferrara, whose work is largely unknown to me, outside of seeing The Driller Killer eons ago, as his reputation proceeds himself.

Far less a female-starring Death Wish and much more how I imagine Repulsion would play if it was more like Maniac, Ms. 45 caught me off-guard in all the ways I like. The advertising would lead you to think you're getting a run-of-the-mill exploitation flick, but the film has a very thoughtful progression to it that rarely stoops so low as to appease anyone looking for a cheap thrill, and has far grander ambitions in mind. The beginning's risky gambit of showing two back-to-back rapes would have failed miserably, had Ferrara not taken special care to minimize the exploitation of the victim by focusing more on the attacker, and making sure we understand Thana's unique situation of being mute, which amplifies the horror of her situations without having to depict it in a more straightforward manner. You're screaming for her, which puts you even more on her side than this would normally play out.

A lot of credit goes to Zoe Lund for making everything work so well. As Thana, she has to work with a handicap of being unable to speak by using just about every damn muscle the face has to offer to express her feelings. With great femme fatale features, Lund absolutely owns every scene she's in. Every extreme sensation and feeling is profound and authentic, no matter what the cause of it is. You feel the hurt and rejection she feels as she begins her healing process and pray she gets away with the crime that no one would ever dare convict her for. After about 30 minutes, you might begin to wonder why there's so much film left. Every major plot point is done... right?

From there, the film takes a pretty sharp left turn without even making it obvious that it has taken one. I've alluded to what transpires, but it really does need to be seen to be believed, as Ms. 45 turns into a very different film, and one that challenges every preconception you've had up to that point with regards to your sympathies and your sense of justice. Ferrara forges a radical spin on the revenge genre, where the very essence of vigilante justice is put forth and tried for its crimes.

The film does have some clunky moments to it, as comic relief seems like a rather odd thing to have in a film about such heavy themes, but what it gets right, it knocks right out of the ballpark. It's an uncompromising film in a genre that often straddles the fence, and in taking a firm stance, it ensures that it gets talked about long after the shock of unpleasant scenes wears off.

Oct 18

Is there a such thing as depicting a character as being too evil? We Need to Talk About Kevin goes to some obscene lengths to show how evil its title character is from birth. Conceived at midnight and brought into the world by a woman unsure of wanting to be a mother in the first place, Kevin himself is hellbent on making sure his mother knows how much he despises her. As the entire story is filtered through Eva's perspective on how events have transpired, there's a feeling that she might be amplifying the level of malice that's actually present in his actions, especially as its revealed early on that she's now reflecting on it in the aftermath of a terrible incident that was carried out by him. But while that can work for a couple of events that happen along the way, the filmmakers do very little to carry the conversation away from the direction of Kevin being pure evil, like what would happen if Michael Myers had grown up in affluence. There's very little room for any other kind of interpretation, and because the film goes out of its way to show you just how eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Kevin is, the more shocking moments ring hollow and, at times, feel unintentionally humorous with how over-the-top they're depicted while remaining stone-faced serious.

As Eva, Tilda Swinton does a remarkable job of having to carry that character through two different eras of psychological torment, but she's having to do a lot of the heavy lifting for a screenplay that has it in for her every step of the way. With everything prior to the incident, she receives little support for her concerns about Kevin, which wouldn't be so bad if the supporting cast (including a completely wasted John C. Reilly) did more than just fall for Kevin's impish smile and tell her not to worry. In the events that take place after the incident, Eva is loathed by all of the townspeople, who have made it their life goal to make her feel worse than she already does after things have gone down, which feels particularly mean-spirited and nasty in the context of the film's final twist, giving those scenes on retrospect a rather sadistic bent to them that they didn't enjoy prior to knowing just how far-reaching Kevin's crimes were.

For the subject matter it tries to tackle, the film just never seems to know what to say about it. It's carried by a strong lead performance and nice visuals, but it feels very hollow and clumsy once I reflect upon it.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)
16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)
17. The Thing From Another World (DVD)
18. What's the Matter with Helen? (DVD)
19. The Vagrant (DVD)
20. The Godsend (DVD)
21. The Outing (AKA: The Lamp) (DVD)

22. Swamp Thing (Blu-Ray)

-I remember seeing episodes of the TV show as a kid but I'd never seen the movie until now. I liked it a lot (for what it was, haha) and Ray Wise & Adrienne Barbeau were great, as always.

23. The Darkest Hour (Blu-Ray 3D)

-I'd been curious about this one ever since I saw the original trailers a few years back and, since I found the 3D Blu-Ray for $5 over the summer, I finally decided to give it a watch. I'm a sucker for
alien invasion
movies so I thought it was pretty great!
I really liked the concept and the special effects were pretty cool too - especially in 3D!

Ridley327

WEEK FOUR (Oct 19): THE LAND (WAY) DOWN UNDER

Pretty much how you expect an Outback-set Jaws ripoff directed by the man who brought Highlander and countless music videos from the early 80s to the world, Razorback is long on style and short on, well, everything else. What it does offer that other films of its kind don't is a whole hell of a lot of Australian oddball humor, with the locals being on a practically different planet from the main characters. Other than that, though, you know what you're getting into with a film like this. It's driven almost entirely by Russell Mulcahy's visual eye, which no longer has the limited budget of his music videos, allowing him to go full tilt with all the crazy transitions and colored lighting that he can get his hands on, especially with of many sets feeling like they came straight out of a Duran Duran video that the record label couldn't afford. Mulcahy keeps the pacing rather brisk, even if he can't quite hide the story problems that a slightly slower pace would make insufferably tedious, nor can he fully shy away from the human antagonists of the story being way more despicable than any giant boar could ever be, leading to some rather unpleasant moments that happen just because, well, just because. Overall, it's just a really stupid film that gets by on good looks.

I got to upgrade my copy of 'Pieces'. Still got my dvd copy from when the movie was being tossed around on public domain dvd box sets.

Is there any blu rays planned?

Ridley327

I got to upgrade my copy of 'Pieces'. Still got my dvd copy from when the movie was being tossed around on public domain dvd box sets.

Is there any blu rays planned?

It'll be coming at some point. Grindhouse Releasing is a really small company, but they exercise an insane amount of quality control over their Blu-ray releases, so expect their eventual Blu-ray of the film to be truly definitive.

Mmm, I'm all over a Pieces Blu-ray like stink on a monkey.

I have their DVD of it and it's a great release but I'll still upgrade for high def chainsawin'

Ridley327

Mmm, I'm all over a Pieces Blu-ray like stink on a monkey.

I have their DVD of it and it's a great release but I'll still upgrade for high def chainsawin'

Honestly, the biggest reason I bought their Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray was because it came with the remastered soundtrack on CD. They're one of the best boutique labels out there. I'm really eager to see what they have in store for The Beyond, which is their next release.

Honestly, the biggest reason I bought their Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray was because it came with the remastered soundtrack on CD. They're one of the best boutique labels out there. I'm really eager to see what they have in store for The Beyond, which is their next release.

Oh nice, I have the crappy Seven Doors of Death DVD of that, so looks like I'll be upgrading to thier BD if the extras are good.

I wonder what they'll do for Pieces. Most of the music is from other movies and stock tracks so I'd doubt a CD.

Update on my viewing....

17. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - 4/5
18. House Hunting - 2/5
19. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn - 4/5
20. Hellraiser - 5/5
21. Hellbound: Hellraiser II - 4/5
22. Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth - 3/5

The first 16, just for reference.

1. Blood Lake - 1/5
2. Ravenous - 3/5
3. Higanjima - 3/5
4. Rosemary's Baby - 4/5
5. The Prophecy: Uprising - 4/5
6. The Reeds - 3/5
7. Carrie (2013) - 4/5
8. Trollhunter - 2/5
9. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero - 2/5
10. The Monkey's Paw - 2/5
11. Wake Wood - 4/5
12. Detention - 1/5
13. Event Horizon - 4/5
14. Scar - 2/5
15. Hatchet II - 2/5
16. The Colony - 4/5

Manus

Wow i really enjoyed Willow Creek. It was a horror film that took the time to have some buildup and made me care for the main 2 people in the movie which most horror films never do.

Kayo-kun

#8 Willow Creek

willowcreek_600.jpg

I got interested in watching Willow Creek after reading the reviews you guys posted about it in the thread. I really enjoyed the beginning parts of the movie and the documentary style set-up worked out well . What I didn't really enjoy was the last part. Felt like they dropped the ball with this movie
with the tent scene and beyond. They were in the tent listening to the strange sounds for like 15 minutes and I was like "oh come on".

Previous:
#7 Street Trash (Oct 19)
#6 The Last Winter (Oct 17)
#5 The Dark Half (Oct 12)
#4 Brainscan (Oct 5)
#3 The Night Flier (Oct 4)
#2 Demons (Oct 2)
#1 White Zombie (Oct 1)

It is more like 20 minutes long. Longer if you count the preceding scene. It is made worse because that Willow Creek is only some 80 minutes long. They use a quarter of their runtime to setup a couple of jump scares. They could have achieved the same build up and release of tension in half or a third of the time and had it be just as effective.

I also thought it was extra dumb because
in typical found footage fashion the big foot or feet mysteriously decide to leave them alone the first night but then attack them for real the next night for whatever reason. Maybe these things that apparently ripped apart a dog couldn't figure out how to get in the ten.

Kayo-kun

It is more like 20 minutes long. Longer if you count the preceding scene. It is made worse because that Willow Creek is only some 80 minutes long. They use a quarter of their runtime to setup a couple of jump scares. They could have achieved the same build up and release of tension in half or a third of the time and had it be just as effective.

I also thought it was extra dumb because
in typical found footage fashion the big foot or feet mysteriously decide to leave them alone the first night but then attack them for real the next night for whatever reason. Maybe these things that apparently ripped apart a dog couldn't figure out how to get in the ten.

I agree.
Haha I actually wrote 20 minutes in my previous post, before editing it since I thought that I shouldn't exaggerate. Rewatched that scene now and its even more than 20 minutes.

I also think they should have focused on using that time to strenght the ending. The last scenes after the tent felt so rushed.

mkenyon

Banned
I've followed these threads every year, and my wife and I always step up our viewing, but I don't quite have the time to really keep up.

I know this sort of thing often gets asked, but just in case I've maybe missed something, we've been looking for a legitimately scary in a way that makes you unsettled for awhile type of movie.

Short list of movies in memory that have accomplished this:

Descent
They
Sinister
The Ring
The Strangers

So pretty much, stuff that has constant tension without easing up. I get destroyed by Alien movies (Fire in the Sky, Dark Skies, Fourth Kind, and couldn't even watch ET when I was a kid), and she gets really bothered by stuff like the Strangers and Them. Neither one of us are big on the torture stuff like Martyrs or Saw.

Film 23 – The Horde (DVD)

Time for your suppositories you old fucks!

nkDzxRG.png

In this highly entertaining and blood drenched French action horror, a group of cops enter an apartment block on a revenge mission but soon find themselves having to team up with their criminal quarry to try and survive the undead apocalypse unfolding all around them, and escape the building safely.

It’s a great story, with a great ending, and though the direction is occasionally a bit too frenetic for my taste, it’s not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment. The cast are also excellent, especially Yves Pignot, who steals every scene he’s in as a repugnant, racist old soldier using the zombie attack to relive his disturbing glory days from the first Indochina war. ‘Feels good huh? Feels like Dien Bien Phu!’ he gasps at one point, grinning from ear to ear and covered in blood, having just dispatched an attacker with seriously heavy duty axe.

Talking of which, I particularly liked how hard to kill the zombies in the film were – just whacking them on the head with a stick is definitely not going to stop these guys. They’re tough, fast, strong, and they don’t stop coming, which leads to some fantastic fight scenes. Mind you, I also found myself getting wound up by the characters stupidity in not even attempting to go for headshots most of the time, but hey.

Verdict: Bloody good fun, well worth a watch.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Anyone going to watch the vicious brothers new movie, EXTRATERRESTRIAL? Just came out on iTunes rental.
They're the grave encounters guys.

This movie was godawful. Amazing disappointment since Grave Encounters actually felt worth watching. Take every boring cliche you know about aliens and make the most unimaginative horror film out of it. I was waiting for some crazy ass twist or something because of how by-the-numbers it all is. Like seriously its fucking bad. Which is so weird because the actual production quality behind it isnt bad at all.

Movie #20: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2.

Did not enjoy it nearly as much as the first one but I enjoyed it. The base change of concept just didn't as scare me as much. There is something really scary about something in your dreams being able to kill you and I was disappointed that they abandoned it. I also found it really strange that they did just a drastic change on how Freddy Kruger worked while maintaining continuity with the first film.

Complaining aside I think they do a good job with the possession angle and the last 20 minutes (minus the very end) are a lot of fun even if they aren't scary at all.

Film 20: The Body Snatcher (1945)
Method of Viewing: iTunes Rental

Z2CYYXy.jpg

This was a really good film. In my opinion, the best movie so far I've seen from these two outside of their signature roles. Especially Karloff. This is actually the first movie I've seen him actually have dialogue. He either has none as the monster or very little or stiff like in The Mummy.

Steamlord

Movie #20: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2.

Did not enjoy it nearly as much as the first one but I enjoyed it. The base change of concept just didn't as scare me as much. There is something really scary about something in your dreams being able to kill you and I was disappointed that they abandoned it. I also found it really strange that they did just a drastic change on how Freddy Kruger worked while maintaining continuity with the first film.

Complaining aside I think they do a good job with the possession angle and the last 20 minutes (minus the very end) are a lot of fun even if they aren't scary at all.

Dreams Warriors is much much much better. Definitely a return to form and highly recommended if you like the original.

Top Bottom