• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

-Kees-

Well I was doing fine but then last week for a lot of reasons I had to miss a few days and consequently fell really behind with this thread. I picked it back up this week. so I'll post half here and the rest later. Onto a long post!

#14 High Tension (2003) (October 11th)

Looking forward to finally seeing it, but not without trepidation. I'll just get right into it
yeah, the twist wasn't handled well. Even though later I found out it was insisted by the producers, the original ending still had the twist. It was just revealed at the very end. It's not that I don't think it could work, but it doesn't feel like there is much motivation behind why she starts killing. Kind of unfortunate because everything leading up to it is really good. Maybe I'll revisit it later and see how I feel about it then.

#15 Inside (2007) (October 12th)

Agree with everything pitcairn55 said. The best I've seen so far. I was physically squirming at parts. An absolute brutal gut punch of a film. A must see for any horror fan.

#16 Angst (1983) (October 15th)

I first learned about it reading an interview with Gaspar Now where he raved about it. While I'm not as high on it as he was, it's still a really fascinating movie to watch. The director never made another film, but it's made with these incredible Orson Welles style overhead crane shots mixed in with the camera being strapped to the actor and spinning around to make it as disorienting as possible. It really puts you in the mind of a disturbed man. Though it's dragged down by long stretches of the movie just being him walking around. Still, really unique, and wish the director had been able to make other movies.

#17 Ravenous (1999) (October 16th)

I think this is a case of great actors elevating the material.
They do a great job making you believe that they're becoming super powered cannibals. It's alright but it becomes a 2 guys wrestle to the death movie.

#18 The Strangers (2008) (October 18th)

Starts out promising, but ends up feeling kind of...pointless?
Maybe that's the point. There's no motivation for what's happening, and they get away and both the leads get killed. If they wanted to tell a nihilistic story, I guess it was a success. But much of the tension ends up running flat about half way through, and it felt like Liv Tyler was crawling around the woods for most of the second half.
Feels like it should have been better.

#19 You're Next (2011) (October 19th)

I don't know what the consensus is or how it was marketed at the time, and I'm reluctant to ever use this term, but I think this movie is maybe underrated? It feels like you would really need to see it with a packed house to get the best experience. It's got some a lot of really dark humor, and yeah it feels a little bit like R-rated Home Alone at some points, but I had a really good time with it. Definitely recommended.

wZW1Ior.png
It was just okay. The replacement actress for Kristen and the killing of the surviving cast from 3 were kind of annoying. This film also felt really dated with some of the references.

To give credit, the
roach hotel
dream sequence made me squirm.

Not sure why I finished this one. Hopefully it's the worst in the series because I don't think I have it in me to watch anything worse than this.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978) *
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981) *
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers *
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers *
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)
13. 28 Days Later... *
14. 28 Weeks Later *
15. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later *
16. May
17. Halloween (2007) *
18. White Zombie
19. Halloween II (2009) *
20. Wrong Turn *
21. Suspiria
22. The Thing (1982)
23. Sleepaway Camp *
24. Exists
25. Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter *
26. The Mad Magician 3D
27. The Blob (1988)
28. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
29. Kidnapped
30. Dream Home
31. Would You Rather
32. Wishmaster
33. Midnight Meat Train
34. Triangle
35. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) *
36. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge *
37. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors *
* = rewatch

Movie #24: An American Werewolf in London.

Not much to say about other than it is entertaining from beginning to end. What a great movie. Probably the most fun I've had watching a horror film this month. It is kind of amazing how well that transformation holds up for a movie made more than 2 decades ago. Good stuff.

Film 29 – Calvaire aka The Ordeal

I don’t enjoy making you ugly.

nIo2BSl.png

Calvaire tells the story of a rubbish itinerant lounge singer who gets lost a couple of days before Christmas in the depths of rural Belgium and soon finds himself fighting for his life in a Deliverance / The Hills Have Eyes / Wrong Turn kind of way.

It’s a dull, grim, bitter movie that is even more prejudiced against people with cognitive impairment than is usual for the genre. Calvaire consistently presents mental handicap as something that causes you to enjoy rape, torture, murder and having sex with farm animals. Oh, and ‘comedic’ communal dancing. There’s no cannibalism though, which strikes me as a missed trick considering how much other Christian imagery the film co-opts in an attempt to disguise its essential vacuity.

The title of the film certainly hints at a deeper meaning, with a calvaire being a wayside shrine quite common in parts of Europe. They tend to feature a prominent crucifix and sometimes provide minimal shelter. Shelter is initially provided for our ‘hero’ and later
he gets crucified, presumably in an attempt to wittily reference the ‘ordeal’ that Jesus went through, according to Christian belief.
But really that’s just window dressing; along with all the crap satire and a smartass name check, the religious subtext is a failed attempt to make this small-minded, nasty little film seem more intellectually substantial than it is.

Verdict: Not nearly as clever as it wishes it was, and unpleasant for all the wrong reasons. One to avoid.

Divius

v4Wfo7J.jpg

#21 - Haute Tension AKA High Tension
'High Tension' might be an exaggeration, it's more like 'Medium Tension' as the movie is lacking in tense scenes and is even somewhat silly at times. Some aspects are handled well, such as the initial build-up, but most of the movie turned out to be underwhelming, especially due to the poor performances from anyone but the protagonist and as it falls apart at the end, no thanks to the ridiculous and poorly executed twist. Seriously, that was dumb. 5/10

Divius

3PU1zeZ.jpg

#22 - La residencia AKA The House That Screamed
A very stylish gothic horror; part Spanish, part English with a weird dub yet it also has an Italian giallo feel to it all which makes for a very interesting combination. I loved how some scenes just ooze with sexual frustration (it takes place in an all girl school and boys are hard to come by..) and how those were handled, as well as the performances from the cast and the general atmosphere and setting of the movie. The ending came out of nowhere and felt disconnected from what I feel the movie was trying to achieve and therefore didn't have much of an impact on me. Despite that I still had a lot of fun with this one. Thanks to big ander for the recommendation! 7/10

Penguin

Going to try and remember this correctly

1.You're Next
2. Blair Witch
3. Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
4. Freddy vs Jason - Always a fun treat. Rewatching it, I don't know if the film was smart enough to understand the horror tropes they created and just run with it or were attempting to make a solid movie and just ran into their own traps.
Also Jason is totally a hero in this film. He kills the abusive boyfriend. The cruel dad, and stops a potential date rape!

5. Oculus - Really smart use of what could have been a horrible plot device (An evil mirror), I like the parallel storytelling of what happened in the past in contrast to their insanity in the present.

6. V/H/S 2 - This was cool. Though the nature of the beast, some of the shorts were just a lot more interesting, and the unifying story wasn't too interesting or grand.

7. The Final - I think this is more scary in the concept because I can see it happening. Some messed up moments, and part of me understands should feel bad for them, but at the same time feel like they deserved part of what they got.

8. The Returned - I think I wanted to like the concept more than the movie did. I think the idea of a world with cured zombies is interesting, but this is more of a personal drama.

9. Jacob's Ladder - I don't get why this is classed as horror at all. Enjoyable film. More of a psychological thriller.

10. The Midnight Meat Train - An okay movie, didn't really do much for me personally.

11. The Purge Anarchy - Better than the original, but opened up its own share of problems. They tried to focus on TOO much with the sequel instead of focusing on one or two of the good ideas they introduced here.

12. Halloween - First time seeing this in full and disappointed in myself for not seeing it sooner. It's just a fantastically shot movie with a lot of genuine suspense. Only real beef, the killer has no motivation which makes his stalking his prey all the more strange.

13. Halloween 2 - If I watched the first, of course going to watch the second. It does a decent job following up on the original. And has some good moments, and a pretty finite ending, but they continue on.

14. Insidious - A solid premise, good acting, some generally freaky stuff in this film. The ending was messed up.

A bit of an aside, what is with horror films and fake-out endings. Was everyone designed with the notion of getting a sequel?

15. The Blob - I found this more gross than anything, but I dug the end with the whole conspiracy going on. Some really gruesome deaths, and totally 80s movie.

16. Suspiria - Had this recommended to me, and I imagine more for the audio/visuals than the actual content of the movie. Such a trippy movie. I'm not sure if would watch again but quite the experience first-time through.

17. See No Evil 2 - It spends a great deal of time at the start trying to establish why the killer is back to life, then quickly kills off most of the characters. Its an oddly paced horror film which seems more created to set the table for a continuing franchise!

18. Alien - Totally counts. The best thing I can say about this movie is it honestly doesn't feel anywhere close to its length. You're just invested in everything from start to finish.

P.S: I totally think Jones the Cat was working with the xenomorphs to weed out the humans...

19. Carrie - Don't mess with a girl with powers. Really dark movie at the end.

20. Below - This was another film where I was more interested in the concept than the final product. I thought the idea of a haunted submarine had some merits, but more like a confined space drama.

21. The Craft - Witches be cray cray. This is made for a specific audience during a specific time period, but it's an okay film.

22. White Zombie - I totally watched this before the GAF deadline and forgot to write about it, because forgot to write about almost all the movies I've seen. Not that interesting really.

23. Evil Dead 2 - First time watching this, even though I've seen part 3. It is a really goofy and off the wall horror film, but does it with a wink and a node that you have to appreciate.

24. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2013) - I missed a bit not having seeing the original, but a fun little fun. Twisted ending, which I guess set-up possible future installments.

25. Sleepaway Camp - I've mentioned this before, I have no idea how I avoided the ending to this film for all these years, but grateful for that because took me for a giant shock when I saw it.

26. Stakeland - The movie has a decent set of core characters I liked, and some interesting twists on a popular format.

I think all caught up on my movie viewings. Will add more if/when think of them. (Thank god for Netflix activity log!)

Kayo-kun

Divius

qqqjrki.jpg

#23 - Reazione a catena AKA A Bay of Blood
Having a bunch of movies from director Mario Bava on my list last year proved fruitful so I could not wait to watch some more of his work this time around, and boy, this did not disappoint. Although it his not his best work, this is the Mario Bava I love. It's just imaginary bloody kill after kill after kill, combined with a bunch of crazy characters and a unnecessarily confusing plot. Another Bava, another highlight. 7.5/10

Ridley327

qqqjrki.jpg

#23 - Reazione a catena AKA A Bay of Blood
Having a bunch of movies from director Mario Bava on my list last year proved fruitful so I could not wait to watch some more of his work this time around, and boy, this did not disappoint. Although it his not his best work, this is the Mario Bava I love. It's just imaginary bloody kill after kill after kill, combined with a bunch of crazy characters and a unnecessarily confusing plot. Another Bava, another highlight. 7.5/10
I feel confident in stating that even if the rest of the movie was awful, the ending would have still justified that score. It may be my favorite ending to a horror movie.

gabbo

October 26th Movie Movie #19 - The Last Man On Earth
Much better film than I expected, and much better than Will Smith's cgi crapfest that shares its source material. Vincent Price as both saviour and villain is a nice twist, those these vampires are quite zombie like in appearance (Romero probably cribbed a bit from that makeup). Not scary, but certainly tense, with some interesting ideas and a finale that's quite solid.

MattyH

#26 City Of The Living Dead second of 3 fulci films on my list this year its hard to rate this over say Zombie Flesh Eaters or The Beyond but its still one of his stand out films

Film 26: Halloween II (1981)
Method of viewing: Blu-ray Disc

FHWSeg1.jpg

Loved the original and this is a worthwhile sequel.

Film 27: A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Method of Viewing: Blu-Ray disc as part of the collection.

NBmdHWH.jpg

After enjoying the first three, I felt 4 was ok and 5 was a mess all around. Kill scenes like the comic book one was pretty cool.

^ Which Nightmare is it where it is a bunch of teens on a school bus?

My list so far:

Criterion Collection
1. The Night of the Hunter
2. The Devil’s Backbone
3. Eyes Without a Face
4. Sisters
5. Repulsion
6. The Living Skeleton
7. The Innocents
8. The Blob
9. Hausu

TREEHOUSE OF HORROR
10. The Amityville Horror
11. Night of the Living Dead
12. Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
13. Demon Seed
14. The Fly ‘58
15. Frankenstein
16. Shocker
17. The Omega Man
18. Bram Stoker’s Dracula

LUGOSI AND KARLOFF
19. The Return of the Vampire
20. The Body Snatcher
21. White Zombie
22. The Black Cat

DIGGING THROUGH THE GOOD STUFF
23. Fright Night
24. Young Frankenstein
25. You’re Next

ATTACK OF THE SEQUEL-A-THON
26. Halloween II ‘81
27. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

Penguin

28. Dead Snow - Really was better than it had any right to be. I liked the fact that the characters got smart quickly and actually started to fight back and not just become victims. And not just one or two of them. Also, surprised by who the lone survivor turned out to be.

So random fun fact or whatever

Of the 28 movies so far, 25 of them have been first-time ever viewings for me!

*Added Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare to Hall of Shame*

-

Surprised I liked this one so much after the middle entries of the series. This felt like a Scream for people who were born earlier/grew up with the series. My only complaint was the inconsistency. The film spends all this time trying to make Freddy scary again but then at the end when it should probably be going all out it just gets silly with him actually
trying to swallow Heather's kid and the weird tongue thing.

Series ranking for fun.
ANOES > New Nightmare >>> ANOES3 > ANOES2 >>> ANOES4 > ANOES5 > Freddy's Dead

Still great. Amazing that there's little to no gore in the film but it feels otherwise.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978) *
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981) *
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers *
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers *
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)
13. 28 Days Later... *
14. 28 Weeks Later *
15. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later *
16. May
17. Halloween (2007) *
18. White Zombie
19. Halloween II (2009) *
20. Wrong Turn *
21. Suspiria
22. The Thing (1982)
23. Sleepaway Camp *
24. Exists
25. Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter *
26. The Mad Magician 3D
27. The Blob (1988)
28. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
29. Kidnapped
30. Dream Home
31. Would You Rather
32. Wishmaster
33. Midnight Meat Train
34. Triangle
35. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) *
36. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge *
37. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors *
38. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
39. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
* = rewatch

Fox Mulder

#9 Ravenous

movieposter.jpg

I loved this movie, thanks for making it mandatory. Was my first time watch and I didn't expect it to be that good, since the summary and the trailer didn't do it justice. Without a doubt the best movie I've watched during this year's marathon.

just finished watching this, pretty surprised at how good it was given the premise.

I'm also caught up to the date.

WoodWERD

Seems I have some catching up to do. I think I'm going to check out Contracted, Bad Milo!, and Dead Snow next.

22. Darkness Falls (Netflix) - Another Tooth Fairy ghost story flick, had some jump scares but not much else. Bag of flashlights...groan.

23. The Horde (Netflix) - This was decent, I was hoping we'd see more strong zombies after the initial bullet-sponge encounter but that didn't materialize. There's plenty of cheese and the band of survivors is pretty ridiculous, but I liked the claustrophobic vibe with fast zombies in a setting similar to the first Raid movie.

24. Dead Silence (Netflix) - I liked The Conjuring so I was curious to see this one. I thought it was ok but fell apart a bit in the end. Some of the scenes with Mary Shaw were a little creepy but the cop character was worthless.

25. Dead End (Netflix) - Enjoyed it even though the ending felt a little rushed. I thought the actors were all pretty good fits for the characters, love the woman who plays the mom.

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
13. The Serpent and the Rainbow
14. Re-Animator
15. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
16. Phantoms
17. Monkey Shines
18. Dark Skies
19. Ravenous (rewatch)
20. Mine Games
21. Would You Rather
22. Darkness Falls
23. The Horde
24. Dead Silence
25. Dead End

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK)
19) The Crazies (Netflix UK)
20) You're Next (Netflix US)
21) Day of the Dead (Netflix US)
22) Friday the 13th (2009, Netflix Mexico)
23) Big Ass Spider (Netflix US)
24) Night of the Creeps (Netflix US)
25) Nosferatu (Netflix US)
26) Videodrome (Netflix Mexico): 4/5 First time watching this, and I love it. Total mind fuck of a movie. What I really loved about this movie was the special effects. James Woods knocks it out of the park in this.

gJRGPUI.jpg

I posted the other day about "Day of the Dead". I gave the film universal praise and stated it was by far the best film I've seen this marathon. I now move onto what is seen as the best in the series, the infamous "Dawn of the Dead". To start off, this film is very good. I'm surprised that it was made in the '70s because it aged like fine wine. Perhaps the strongest point of the film is that it nails its settings. The opening scene in the newsroom really has you indulge all the chaos. The next scene with the projects was wonderfully done as well, as you felt the gritty setting and the immense racism. The mall really needs no explanation, it gives you the perfect sense of it being a concrete playground.

The characters are serviceable (though I expected a bit more from flyboy and the woman), the pacing is great, and the zombie effects...well they are a little rough around the edges but they get the job done. All in all this film just screams "classic!" and I can easily see myself rewatching it again.

I can see now why many were initially disappointed with Day of the Dead. This film, while (surprisingly) on a shoestring budget, had a lot of scope, ambition, and zombie action. In comparison Day was much more smaller in scope, less ambitious, and has little zombie action (outside of the end). But that's okay as it is a different kind of zombie movie, it focuses on the people more than the zombies.

All in all, this is a great trilogy and I can see why it was/is so beloved. Each film is a classic in its own right and offers something new to the genre. One thing that I noticed though is that in each film the main characters go somewhere safer and safer yet at the end those that parish parish worse and worse. Night of the Living Dead has people in a house in the middle of nowhere. Dawn of the Dead is in a secluded shopping mall with many different floors. Day of the Dead takes place in an underground army bunker built to withstand nuclear war. Yet despite this, many people die and in each film they die more severely. Something interesting I noticed.

An-Det

I've been keeping up with movies but have gotten pretty behind with reviews.

15. Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood (HBO Go)

TftC is always great with its cheesy humor and absurdity and this was no different. Loved it.

16. The Monkey's Paw (Netflix)

A take on the old tale, it wasn't great. There was a few hooks that just went nowhere or weren't taken up, and it ends up being more of a slasher in the end that just didn't work.

17. The Grudge 3 (Netflix)

The Grudge is one of my favorite horror remakes, so while not as good as the original, part 3 I rather enjoyed. The last act kinda goes off compared to the original premise, but overall it was decent.

18. Ravenous (Netflix)

The second mandatory movie, once this got going I really started to like it. It's not great but it was really elevated by the cast. Robert Carlyle is fantastic in it, as always.

19. Shocker (HBO Go)

A different take on Freddy, Director Skinner starts killing from beyond the grave but with electricity and through tv's as a style. Dumb fun, not very scary but neat to watch and with a really trippy final battle that I liked.

20. The Human Centipede: First Sequence (Netflix)

Somehow I'd never seen this. Parts of it were cringe-worthy since body horror gets to me, but overall there was far less of that than I expected (which I guess they compensate for in part 2, so probably wont watch that). I guess it was ok for what it was, but there were so many dumb choices. Also, the entire time I kept picturing Tommy Wiseau as the nazi doctor villain, and now I really want that to be a thing.

21. Contracted (Netflix)

As a rape allegory I was fine with it, but as a film I couldn't get into it at all since it was just poor decisions one after another. Some decent body horror, but otherwise meh.

22. Oculus (Amazon)

I really liked this one. The past sections worked as a more traditional horror film, and the present sections tried to subvert tropes with the main characters being fairly self-aware and actively trying to overcome.
It didn't succeed
. Pretty decent.

23. Afflicted (Youtube)

This was pretty good. The found footage worked well enough, and the sense of mystery was decent. It managed to humanize the characters in a way that most horror films dont, which I appreciated.

24. Fright Night (Netflix)

Nice and cheesy in that 80's way, very fun to watch. The villain worked very well.

25. The Taking of Deborah Logan (Netflix)

This one popped up today with decent reviews so I checked it out. Not bad, although I was expecting something a bit more obvious like
The Skeleton Key
. The use of Alzheimers in a horror film was pretty unique, and while there were some questionable plot things some of the imagery was great (
the woman's head split open trying to consume the little girl like a snake was pretty fucked
). Also the old woman totally pulled a
Gollum at one point when saying "murderer"
, which made it pretty hard to take things seriously. The lady playing the old woman was fantastic in her role.

big ander

#12 Twilight Zone: The Movie (10/25)
2/5 Where Twilight Zone: The Movie trips up most notably in translating the series is in having the tales be lessons. In Serling's hands each episode of the series was a moral tale, an instruction in how some fault of man could lead to death (or worse) when humankind is confronted with the unknown. Here there are no true lessons. Spielberg's feeble segment is the worst at this: there's really no lesson, nobody does anything wrong. One man chooses to stay young, the others realize they like old age, and one misses the opportunity to choose. No gut-punch consequences to any choices. The same goes for the prologue, which is air then one cheap scare. Other segments are slightly more potent. Miller's rendition of "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is capably directed but safe, and I've never loved the original as much as everyone else anyway. same as hearing a hit song I never much liked covered competently. Landis's segment tries for a lesson on bigotry-- a shallow lesson though, and (with no crassness intended) seems it would have been just as uninspired had tragedy not struck during filming. Dante's "It's a Good Life" is the only obvious win and the only segment to leave a mark, an expansion and reimagining of a classic tale on the seeds of evil in children with lurid practical effects.

#13 I Walked With A Zombie (10/26)
4.5/5 Transient and mesmerizing and horrifying, a cinematic chill traveling up the spine and into the head to call everything into question. What isn't in question is that melancholy will come to swallow all.

#14 Twixt (10/26)
3.5/5 Inebriating, pretty, eerie and unexpectedly funny. The death of beauty, the layers and blurred surfaces of your own mistakes one must dig through to find creative truth. Themes of teenagerdom and girlhood both illicit and illicitly alluring to the pious are drab but easy to swallow when wrapped in expressionist digital painting.

#1 White Zombie (10/1)
#2 Strange Circus (10/2)
#3 Night of the Creeps (10/3)
#4 Event Horizon (10/5)
#5 Black Sabbath (10/6)
#6 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (10/7)
#7 The Blob (1958) (10/9)
#8 The Fly (1958) (10/11)
#9 Eraserhead (10/14)
#10 Cat People (10/19) [rewatch]
#11 Exte: Hair Extentions (10/20)

Steamlord

#37 - Don't Torture a Duckling

Pretty good movie, although calling it horror is kind of a stretch. It has an interesting pastoral setting that sets it apart from most other gialli I've seen.

Also I guessed the killer again.

#38 - The Fog

Solid film with some tense moments and that signature Carpenter flair. Not as memorable as Halloween or The Thing, but definitely good. I appreciated the restraint shown in terms of the relative lack of blood and guts and the ghosts' appearance - having them mostly obscured by shadows and fog makes them much more intimidating than if they were clearly visible.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
#22 I Saw the Devil

Rewatch for me, first viewing for my gf. Not traditional horror, but I needed a break from the normal spooky stuff. It's almost the end of the month and I'm getting burnt out on horror. I'm really struggling to even remember what I've watched.

#23 The Human Centipede

Another rewatch. I'm pretty fond of this movie, really. The concept and hype at the time was ridiculous, but it's played so straight that I find it effective. It should be dumb and silly, but I don't find it to be.

#24 Shaun of the Dead

Of course this is a rewatch, but I really can't get tired of this movie. Ended up feeling real bummed about Edgar Wright being off of Ant Man, though.

#25 Nightmare on Elm St. 2: Freddy's Revenge

I thought this was supposed to be one of the good ones, but I think I was mistaken. Hated it. Halfway in, I stopped giving a shit and played on my phone while it was on in the background.

#26 8MM

Expected this to be more of a horror movie than it actually was. I liked it, though. It's interesting to watch now, given how easy it is to find videos of murder online now. Made me feel bad.

W7SsfDc.jpg

Here's my previous week in short...

22. Peeping Tom
Nice classic thriller, started out more promising and got somewhat worse as it went along, but still a ver good early British slasher-esque kinda movie.

23. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
I really like the Hellraiser universe, I read the books when I was a kid and I probably also saw this movie at some time, and now I feel this could have been so much better... I didn't like the amount of reused stuff from te first movie, and even some disturbing images from within the movie sort of lose there power whe n they are intriduced again.

24. The Houses October Built
This was recommended here, and it worked as filler I guess, but I didn't enjoy much aboyut this. Tired old formula, annoying characters, zero story.

25. Night of the Creeps
This was wonderful 80s entertainment, one not to be missed.

26. Maléfique
Pretty interesting prison movie with some great scenes and a plot revolving around a an old book with occult practices; recommended.

27. The Believers
This one was pretty interesting, but more of a straight thriller than a horror film even if it involves pagan magic and ritualistic murders. Decently made but not very exciting.

28. Bad Milo

This was just goofy fun with a TV show cast, and a throwback to those 80s animated puppets. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Superflat

The first half of the month was busy so I wasn't able watch anything but I'm getting into them now, with a vengeance.

Alien [REWATCH] - Always a lovely return, and enhanced by the fact that Alien Isolation was fantastic. Favorite space horror by a long shot. Artfully filemd, smart direction, memorable characters, amazing creature design and grotesque effects. Don't know what to add about this movie without repeating everyone else. Supreme film for its time, and it's still awesome to come back to.

Coherence - A micro-budget film made with 100k dollars, but it certainly doesn't look it. It looks great with natural lighting and grounded camera work. It's even more impressive that the actors were more or less participating in a improv experiment with no prior knowledge of the plot or script -- even while they were filming! Can't say too much (or almost anything) about the movie without fear of spoiling but I would recommend this to any film buffs. The end result is a cleverly written sci-fi horror film with incredibly believable characters. Not for those who want Hollywood-type scares.

Honeymoon - An interesting film that fell flat at the end, but had an amazing build up that made it worth watching. The chemistry between the two leads is really great, and makes the strange turn of events even more effective. Can't pinpoint as to why I didn't enjoy the ending, but something felt missing. Anyway, the characters and the journey getting there was fun and worth it.

Session 9 - There was a lot of buzz around this indie horror film and I finally sat and watched this with a friend. A asbestos clean-up crew is tasked with cleaning out an abandoned insane asylum, and strange things start happening the longer they spend there. Made in 2001, it def shows its age a little with some of its cinematography and it ultimately looks like a fancy student film with some of its techniques, but it accomplishes a slow burn that leads to a boiling point. I felt a little lukewarm about it in retrospect but I enjoyed the creepy moments and some of the character writing.

Julia's Eyes/Los Ojos de Julia - Another great Spanish horror film. I really enjoyed Rec, Rec 2, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Orphanage, all of the mentioned films being on my all-time favorites for horror movies. Julia's Eyes comfortably sits alongside its contemporaries with very smart direction for tense scares and involved plot. The lead is the same actress from The Orphanage, and does another great performance. Some silly contrivances but it doesn't diminish an otherwise awesome film.

You're Next - It's been a while since I've seen a modern slasher film, and this one had me smiling the whole time. I missed clever death traps, the fear of being hunted by fellow humans, and poor decisions made by hysterical people in a closed-off location. The lead female is refreshing to say the least, and the pacing kept things interesting without leaning on cliches. It's tongue-in-cheek without completely showing its hand, and the way it subverts expectations and blends humor into its premise was fun. What starts off as a tense, seriously handled scenario reveals a twist that turns everything into a absurd black comedy. Loved it.

Sexy Killer - I normally stay away from horror films that have a strong sexual element (which usually just means hot models being killed in lingerie), but I gave this a shot from some recommendations and it was surprisingly good. It's a Spanish horror-comedy with a lady serial-killer med student as the protagonist. She constantly breaks the fourth wall, refers to hallmark horror films, and, as the film suggests, is quite sexy. The fragmented storytelling, imagery, and cutting between the past and present made for a slickly produced pop-horror with a irreverent, gorey tone that just gets better and more absurd as it goes along. This is probably the best "hot girls+horror" combination I've seen of its genre. Hell, I'd even like to see a sequel because the lead does such a good job.

We Are What We Are - A nifty, slow-burn movie that is beautifully shot but could be a bore for some. They use the ever-so-tiring premise featuring a overzealous Christian justifying evil because "We're doing God's will", but I enjoyed the incredibly tense scenarios and the final payoff that the story was inevitably leading towards. Could have been executed better on the character and writing side of things, and the movie has its unintended awkward moments, but it was affecting overall. Didn't love it, but I liked it quite a bit.

Proxy - Man, what a brutal opening. Uncomfortable and has you holding your stomach from the get-go, Proxy is not for the squeemish -- but its icky bits are actually few and far between. It's a unsettling tale of maladjusted people who cross paths to create the perfect storm of what-the-fuckery. Awkward (in a good way), darkly funny, tragic, and a well-crafted film with memorable characters and a simple but effective story.

#01 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#02 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#03 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#04 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#05 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#06 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#07 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#08 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)
#09 Sinister (2012) (October 9)
#10 The Conjuring (2013) (October 10)
#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)
#12 V/H/S (2012) (October 12 - 13)
#13 Funny Man (1994) (October 13 - 15)
#14 Carnival of Souls (1962) (October 15)
#15 Ravenous (1999) (October 16 - 17)
#16 Horror Express (1972) (October 17 - 20)
#17 Zombies Vs. Strippers (2012) (October 21 - 24)
#18 Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! (2008) (October 24 - 25)
#19 King of the Zombies (1941) (October 25 - 26)

thatsracist.gif

This movie is listed as an horror comedy. It turns out that 95 % of the humor consists of a Black guy being the butt of every joke (Oh oh, he's Black! Oh oh, he's a servant who doesn't know his place! Oh oh, he's a coward! Oh oh, he iz not speak English very well!), so while I can understand how it must have been great fun for the (White) public in the 40s, it's rather embarrasing to watch in this day and age. That being said, Mantan Moreland is quite effective in his role, and I must admit he made me smile a couple of times despite all the cringe.

The plot bears a similarity to White Zombie's, but is worse (IMO) and this time there's no Bela Lugosi to save it (the funny thing is that, according to IMDb, the role of the villain was actually designed for Bela Lugosi but he became unavailable).

This movie is in the public domain.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I see a lot of motherfuckers NOT watching Blood Gnome. You're running out of time, dudes. It's a D-grade gem.

Divius

deGwEoe.jpg

#24 - Rogue
This was a lot of fun! Like Jaws, but with a giant killer croc instead of a great white shark. The setting of the beautiful Australian outback is great, as it makes for some gorgeous scenery and you almost feel the sweaty fly-ridden heat it produces. There's enough likeable and dislikeable characters, it's well made and does a great job of teasing the croc and showing just enough, as well as having pretty decent cgi effects. Recommended! 7.5/10

Oct. 25

Thereptileposter.jpg

Oct. 26

Plague+of+the+Zombies.jpg

These Hammer films directed by John Gilling were shot back to back on the same sets, with the same crew and some cast overlap. Known to Hammer fans as the "Cornwall Classics", they are frequently held up as classic examples of mid-60s Hammer production, and both are noted for importing some exotic horror into the English countryside. The Reptile features a unique were-serpent in the curvaceous form of Jacqueline Pearce, cursed for her father's transgressions against a Malayan snake cult. And The Plague of the Zombies is rightfully famous for a terrifying graveyard scene of awakening undead that is rumoured to have inspired George Romero. Well-written, well-paced, well-acted, well-shot and well worth a look...

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other Hammer monsters week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)
  19. Twins of Evil (1971)
  20. Vampire Circus (1972)
  21. Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (1972)
  22. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)
  23. Ravenous (1999)
  24. The Mummy (1959)
  25. The Reptile (1966)
  26. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)

cacildo

To those of you watching all the Elm Street movies, i cant recommend enough this

never_sleep_again_dvdafig3.jpg

Its better than most of the sequels. I found it just lovely to see producers, make up guys, actors, directors, etc talking about each movie. They seem pretty honest about it, why it some failed, why some succeded.

scream1yqsfm.jpg

Also i watched Scream the other night...

And its really a great movie. It deserves all the success it had at the time.

I had the movie kinda fresh in my memory from rewatching it in the early 2000´s. But i dont remember anything from Scream 2. And i just read online its actually pretty good

You're Next - It's been a while since I've seen a modern slasher film, and this one had me smiling the whole time. I missed clever death traps, the fear of being hunted by fellow humans, and poor decisions made by hysterical people in a closed-off location. The lead female is refreshing to say the least, and the pacing kept things interesting without leaning on cliches. It's tongue-in-cheek without completely showing its hand, and the way it subverts expectations and blends humor into its premise was fun. What starts off as a tense, seriously handled scenario reveals a twist that turns everything into a absurd black comedy. Loved it.

I want to watch this movie for quite some time, since everybody says its very good. Its on netflix just waiting

But i need to ask first, is there rape involved in the movie? I really hate rape scenes. Makes me really unconfortable.

Halloween remake was over for me by the time they just put a rape scene in the beginning without any reason at all

(im asking this while trying to avoid spoilers. In fact i didnt even read this very quote above)

Divius

QWm55jy.jpg

#25 - Nude per l'assassino AKA Strip Nude for your Killer
So much nudity! Dare I say... too much nudity? It might be weird and I never thought I'd say something like that, but it is a legit complaint about Strip Nude for your Killer; It's more Nude than Killer. And mostly the nudity is without merit, except to just be that, nude. Luckily there is this leather clad motorcycle-helmet wearing killer that slashes and murders his way through the movie with some decent bloody kills in sleazy scenes. Unfortunately parts of the movie are quite boring at times as it falls into a slump without much entertainment, leaving the viewer wanting for something to happen. A mixed bag for sure. 5/10

Fox Mulder

I want to watch this movie for quite some time, since everybody says its very good. Its on netflix just waiting

But i need to ask first, is there rape involved in the movie? I really hate rape scenes. Makes me really unconfortable.

Halloween remake was over for me by the time they just put a rape scene in the beginning without any reason at all

(im asking this while trying to avoid spoilers. In fact i didnt even read this very quote above)

no rape, but it starts with a sex scene.

big ander

3PU1zeZ.jpg

#22 - La residencia AKA The House That Screamed
A very stylish gothic horror; part Spanish, part English with a weird dub yet it also has an Italian giallo feel to it all which makes for a very interesting combination. I loved how some scenes just ooze with sexual frustration (it takes place in an all girl school and boys are hard to come by..) and how those were handled, as well as the performances from the cast and the general atmosphere and setting of the movie. The ending came out of nowhere and felt disconnected from what I feel the movie was trying to achieve and therefore didn't have much of an impact on me. Despite that I still had a lot of fun with this one. Thanks to big ander for the recommendation! 7/10

Glad you liked it! I agree the ending is a little far-flung but I thought it worked if you think of how
Madam Forneau's sexual frustration, which is a sort of set-in version of the girls, created her twisted son.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)
16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)
17. The Thing From Another World (DVD)
18. What's the Matter with Helen? (DVD)
19. The Vagrant (DVD)
20. The Godsend (DVD)
21. The Outing (AKA: The Lamp) (DVD)
22. Swamp Thing (Blu-Ray)
23. The Darkest Hour (Blu-Ray 3D)
24. Death Kappa (Blu-Ray)
25. Evilspeak (Blu-Ray)
26. Tales From the Crypt: Ritual (Netflix)

27. The Puppet Masters (Blu-Ray)

-I bought this Double-Feature Blu-Ray last year for Deep Rising (which I love!) and finally decided to check out The Puppet Masters - I really liked it! It was a really cool take on the alien invasion/body-snatchers story with some great practical effects.

White Man

Just watched Tourist Trap. It starts off better than it ends. The mannequins and masks are creepy, though. It's from 1979 and very much of its time. If that's your thing, it's probably worth watching. Considering it came out during the post-Halloween slasher rush, it's pretty much its own thing, too. Even though it goes downhill, I think it's still pretty worthwhile.

Film 30 – Dead Snow (Netflix UK)

Fucking Nokia – the battery’s dead!

ItJegG1.png

You can’t go wrong with Nazi zombies. They’re good fun in video games, they’re good fun in movies, they’re good fun all round. And Dead Snow is a particularly good fun Nazi zombie movie.

The initial set-up is similar to every other cabin in the woods film, a fact that the group of medical students on Easter vacation make reference to as they trudge up the snowy climbs to their destination. They are soon being warned by an enigmatic local that an evil has lain dormant in the snow since the end of the second world war and they should be careful not to awaken it. Of course they initially dismiss such portents as nonsense, but soon enough things start to get a little bit messy.

This is a rewatch for me, and it’s been a while since I first saw it. I’d forgotten just how simultaneously funny and gory the film was, especially in its final half hour. A running, unravelling intestines joke in particular is disgustingly amusing, and there’s a hammer and sickle sight gag that’s almost worth the price of entry on its own. The characters are appealing and well-acted, the soundtrack is ace, there’s sly nods to a bunch of cult horror movies, and the blood on the snow looks gruesomely beautiful. It must be said that many elements of the plot are not especially original, but the film has such panache it still manages to feel fresh.

Verdict: This silly, funny, occasionally gross Norwegian comedy horror is bloody great and definitely recommended.

EDIT: Just discovered a sequel was released this month - Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead! That’s top of my must see list now, though sadly (and understandably, considering the intolerance most of my fellow Brits show towards subtitles) it doesn’t look like there’s going to be a general UK cinema release.

QWm55jy.jpg

#25 - Nude per l'assassino AKA Strip Nude for your Killer
So much nudity! Dare I say... too much nudity? It might be weird and I never thought I'd say something like that, but it is a legit complaint about Strip Nude for your Killer; It's more Nude than Killer. And mostly the nudity is without merit, except to just be that, nude. Luckily there is this leather clad motorcycle-helmet wearing killer that slashes and murders his way through the movie with some decent bloody kills in sleazy scenes. Unfortunately parts of the movie are quite boring at times as it falls into a slump without much entertainment, leaving the viewer wanting for something to happen. A mixed bag for sure. 5/10

Sorry you didn't like it. I though it was some silly, sleazy fun. I probably should give it a rewatch some day though to make sure my memory of it is correct.

I'm not sure too much nudity should be allowed as a complaint when Edwige Fenech is in it though ;)

Film 30 – Dead Snow (Netflix UK)

Fucking Nokia – the battery’s dead!

http://i.imgur.com/ItJegG1.png

You can’t go wrong with Nazi zombies. They’re good fun in video games, they’re good fun in movies, they’re good fun all round. And Dead Snow is a particularly good fun Nazi zombie movie.

{snip}

Verdict: This silly, funny, occasionally gross Norwegian comedy horror is bloody great and definitely recommended.

EDIT: Just discovered a sequel was released this month - Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead! That’s top of my must see list now, though sadly (and understandably, considering the intolerance most of my fellow Brits show towards subtitles) it doesn’t look like there’s going to be a general UK cinema release.

I'm glad more people are watching Dead Snow. The movie is fantastic. Love the use of music in it.

That's a shame about Dead Snow 2 though, especially considering quite a bit of it is in English.

White Man

Just finished The Ninth Gate. I had put off seeing this because I love The Club Dumas and I had heard this wasn't a very good adaptation. And it really isn't--characters are renamed and combined, key plot points are changed, and an entire key plot thread is completely excised. Even with all those problems I ended up liking the movie. It's obviously not one of Polanski's best, but it does a good job of building tension and giving a good sense of intrigue. The biggest letdown is that the book reads like it would make a great movie. It's very tightly paced and not particularly long, so it's disappointing that the movie ultimately doesn't reach the potential indicated by the book. I'd still recommend it, but I super highly recommend the book.

Top Bottom