• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Assume you mean the current Stage Fright thats on Netflix now and not the good one with Owl head?
I don't know if it is on Netflix (I rented it on Blu-ray) but I am talking about the one that just came out this year and is directed by Jerome Stable. Minnie Driver and Meat Loaf are in it.

Divius

Tonight movie #30 - My Bloody Valentine. Then do some quick write-ups, tomorrow after work my last movie to complete this wonderful month \o/

I don't know if it is on Netflix (I rented it on Blu-ray) but I am talking about the one that just came out this year and is directed by Jerome Stable. Minnie Driver and Meat Loaf are in it.
Good, because this Stage Fright is pretty dope.

Metalmarc

Ladies and gentleman i'm here to admit i failed this year once again, last year i got up to 17 movies i was aiming for 20+ this year.

This year however October brought some unforeseen family problems (nothing major just a few things to deal with, e.g my dad and his mental illness problem) as well as work, and a few other niggles and just generally being more tired this year also.

I reached the grand total of five throughout october, i'm gonna try and watch a few Tomorrow and will post my thoughts on what i watched saturday.

I'm obviously gonna end my list with my umpteenth re-watch of Halloween tomorrow night, but I'm having trouble deciding what to watch tonight (might watch a couple).

How is Halloween IV? I remember watching it as a kid and it scaring the bejeezus out of me, and I watch the opening credit sequence recently, and I loved how atmospheric it was. Is it worth a watch?

Ladies and gentleman i'm here to admit i failed this year once again.

Same here....only got up to 8 flicks thus far. A disastrous re-org at my job destroyed my attention span/will to live, etc.

Watched Pieces the other night for the first time though and it was an absurd delight.

I'm obviously gonna end my list with my umpteenth re-watch of Halloween tomorrow night, but I'm having trouble deciding what to watch tonight (might watch a couple).

How is Halloween IV? I remember watching it as a kid and it scaring the bejeezus out of me, and I watch the opening credit sequence recently, and I loved how atmospheric it was. Is it worth a watch?

It's not terrible, which is saying a lot for the Halloween franchise outside the first. It's probably my favorite of the sequels aside from 3. I'd say it's worth a watch.

Ridley327

Might be somewhat late for this year, but I came across this list that is full of great horror movies. I've seen most of the movies listed but bookmarked the page for next year because of the movies I've not seen yet :D Highly recommended to look this list over next year when looking for movies to watch. I might post it again next year if I happen to stumble across it.

- Flavorwire: '50 Visually Stunning Horror Movies for Twisted Aesthetes'

I've seen a lot of those already! Hooray!

It's not terrible, which is saying a lot for the Halloween franchise outside the first. It's probably my favorite of the sequels aside from 3. I'd say it's worth a watch.

Cool thanks. I actually haven't seen any of the sequels besides what I saw of this as a kid and Rob Zombie's remake. Why 3? Wasn't that the one that wasn't even about Michael Meyers?

Film 33 – Frontier(s)

Here everything is possible.

72pJARU.png

Frontier(s) is one of the most bonkers, fantastically deranged examples of the so-called New French Extremity that I’ve ever seen. It’s one of those ‘we definitely shouldn’t have stopped at this hotel’ style movies, set in the depths of rural France, with Nazi cannibals. Full on crazy awesomeness, in other words.

The film is fast-paced, extremely and inventively gory, and features some great performances, particularly from Jean-Pierre Jorris, who chews the scenery with considerable relish as the Nazi patriarch ruling over all. Like many films of its ilk, it is absolutely balls-to-the-wall loony-tunes from start to finish, but who cares when it’s this entertaining? Highlights for me included
the daft climactic machine-gun shoot out, the mutant mine-dwelling children and the steam room lock-in.

The film also has a serious political message about the ever present dangers of fascism in Europe, but this only comes through in the brief moments when the director tones things down a bit. Indeed, the film’s most genuinely horrific scene is completely free of gore, and involves a conversation between two women that takes place while one cuts the other’s hair. It’s a fantastic, moving and disturbing moment that suggests Frontier(s) could have been a very different and probably more effective movie if it wasn’t so constantly over-the-top. Though to be honest a more sensible version of this material probably wouldn’t be quite so entertaining.

Verdict: Wonderfully ridiculous. I bloody loved it.

Kayo-kun

#11 Fright Night

peliculas.9628.IMAGEN6.jpg

The original Fright Night is a classic and will always have a special place in my heart. I decided to watch the remake with an open mind, and by my surprise, I really enjoyed it. Is it better than the original version? I actually don't know, what I know is that it's without a doubt on par with it. Yelchin, Farrell and Tennant all did a good job with their roles. Not to mention that Imogen Poots and Sandra Vergara are absolutely gorgeous in the movie.

Previous:
#10 The Purge: Anarchy (Oct 29)
#9 Ravenous (Oct 26)
#8 Willow Creek (Oct 20)
#7 Street Trash (Oct 19)
#6 The Last Winter (Oct 17)
#5 The Dark Half (Oct 12)
#4 Brainscan (Oct 5)
#3 The Night Flier (Oct 4)
#2 Demons (Oct 2)
#1 White Zombie (Oct 1)

3zsFwk2.jpg

26) Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) (1987) (Oct 28)

The Getting in Shape Mini-Marathon - Movie 1

Ah, the 80s and their aerobics... After the success of Flashdance (1983) it was only a matter of time until horror oozed its way into the gym for some grueling workouts.

Probably the most well known gym related horror movie would be The Toxic Avenger (1984). But that's not all my friends. Last month as a bit of a warmup I watched Lucio Fulci's dance studio giallo Murder-Rock: Dancing Death (1984) and set aside what were probably my two most anticipated movies of the marathon while I'm reviewing now.

Starting with Killer Workout, I knew I was in for a good time. This is just an all around terrible movie, but it's also an insane amount of fun.

Killer Workout delivers on everything you want in such a movie.
- A catchy, yet goofy 80s pop soundtrack? Check!
- Some of the best bad acting this side of Troll 2? Check!
- Hilarious They Live-like fistfights? Check!
- Cops driving around in piece of shit cars? Check!
- The most gratuitous aerobics sequences ever put on film? Check!
- Murders with quite possibly the most inane weapon ever? Check!

Serisouly, this has everything! There's one fight scene that's begging for the Mortal Kombat sound effects treatment. And those aerobics sequences? I've never seen so many thrusting groins and wiggling asses in a single sitting. The leotard budget for this thing must have been though the roof!

Someone release this gem on Blu-ray!

Highly Recommended.

9MHrKev.jpg

27) Death Spa (1989) (Oct 28)

The Getting in Shape Mini-Marathon - Movie 2

Killer Workout is a tough act to follow, but Death Spa was ready for the challenge.

While Killer Workout was a riot because of how terrible it was, Death Spa actually isn't a poorly made movie. It still has that 80s cheese to it, but it's well shot with some very stylish lighting, some nice effect work and actually has legitimate actors, including apple lover, Ken Foree. Shocking, I know.

The movie starts out typical enough, but soon goes its own way and gets pretty nuts. While it is much better made than Killer Workout, it still has a few flaws and at times feels a little thrown together like they were still working on the script as they went. This is most noticeable with Ken Foree's character who appears to be a main character at the start, then just seems to pop up whenever they remember they needed more Ken Foree. At one point I'm almost certain an entire scene with him is shot with a body stand-in and his face is never shown, like they just added him in after Ken had already wrapped. I can't really blame them though, every movie should have more Ken Foree.

The movie is still a ton of fun though. Fans of Intruder and Dead Heat will definitely want to check this out.

I also learned an awesome new insult that I'm sure I'll be annoying my friends with for years to come.
I'm Beta, you're VHS.

Highly Recommended.

amiAoRb.jpg

[BONUS] Linnea Quigley's Horror Workout (1990) (Oct 29)

The Getting in Shape Mini-Marathon - Bonus Viewing

This I just threw in for fun. I didn't want to include it in my numbered movies because it's only an hour long and I'm not even really sure if you can call it a movie...

Anyway, the title tells you exactly what you're in for.

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)
14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)
15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)
17) Slugs: The Movie (Slugs, muerte viscosa) (1988) (Oct 18)
18) La Setta (1991) (Oct 19)
19) Shivers (aka They Came from Within) (1975) (Oct 19)
20) Videodrome (1983) (Oct 21)
21) Tetsuo: The Iron Man (The First Cut) (1989) (Oct 23)
22) Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) (Oct 24)
23) Tetsuo: The Bullet Man (2009) (Oct 24)
24) American Mary (2012) (Oct 27)
25) Excision (2012) (Oct 27)
26) Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) (1987) (Oct 28)
27) Death Spa (1989) (Oct 28)
[BONUS] Linnea Quigley's Horror Workout (1990) (Oct 29)

Cool thanks. I actually haven't seen any of the sequels besides what I saw of this as a kid and Rob Zombie's remake. Why 3? Wasn't that the one that wasn't even about Michael Meyers?

Yeah, Michael Myers isn't in it. And frankly, it's a really stupid movie. But it's very charming in its stupidity. If you get a chance, you should check it out.

edit: and it has this song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoqxhvdAdns

Fox Mulder

#32 Evil Dead (2013)
a cynical evil dead fan, but liked it. Didn't really add much to the originals, but the finale was great.

#33 House (1977)
whoa..

1 The Thing (1982)
2 The Blob (1958)
3 Dracula (1931)
4 They Live (1988)
5 Fright Night (1985)
6 Frankenstein (1931)
7 Alien (1979)
8 The Mummy (1932)
9 Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)
10 IT (1990)
11 Ghostbusters (1984)
12 The Blob (1988)
13 You're Next (2011)
14 Friday the 13th (1980)
15 The Descent (2005)
16 White Zombie (1932)
17 Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
18 The Ivisible Man (1933)
19 Friday the 13th Part III 3D (1982)
20 Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
21 The Fly (1958)
22 Ghostbusters 2 (1989)
23 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
24 The Wolf Man (1941)
25 Ravenous (1999)
26 Dawn of the Dead (2004)
27 Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
28 Bubba Ho-tep (2002)
29 The Mist (2007)
30 Phantom of the Opera (1943)
31 Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
32 Evil Dead (2013)
33 House (1977)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK)
19) The Crazies (Netflix UK)
20) You're Next (Netflix US)
21) Day of the Dead (Netflix US)
22) Friday the 13th (2009, Netflix Mexico)
23) Big Ass Spider (Netflix US)
24) Night of the Creeps (Netflix US)
25) Nosferatu (Netflix US)
26) Videodrome (Netflix Mexico)
27) The Exorcist (Netflix Netherlands)
28) Scary Movie 2 (Netflix US): 3/5 Not as funny as I remembered it. It had its share of laughs, but most of the jokes are low-brow humor. If you liked the first, might be worth checking it out.

29)The Taking of Deborah Logan (Netflix US): 4/5 This was recommended in the Netflix thread. It is a found footage type of movie. I really enjoyed it. It has a creepy vibe to it (the main actress anyway). It did make me jump a few times. Worth the watch if you like those type of movies.

-Kees-

One more update tomorrow and I'll be caught up.

#20 Hellraiser (1987) (October 21st)

Don't know how or why I hadn't seen this yet, but it's really solid and the effects and body horror imagery are great. Didn't know Garak was in it either.

#21 The Legend of Hell House (1973) (October 22nd)

Fun old-school haunted house movie. Another case of what you could get away with under a PG rating in the 70's.

#22 The Conjuring (2013) (October 23rd)

No fault of the movie but like LoHH, haunted house movies aren't really my thing. But this is one that I really liked. It's restrained and actually keeps the scares feeling fresh rather than just rehashes the entire time.

#23 Eyes Without a Face (1960) (October 24th)

Another one of movies I've been meaning to see for years. And well, I was dissapointed. I mean, parts of it were fine, but it felt like kind of aimless near the end. I don't know. I wasn't feeling too great when I watched it, and probably wouldn't have if it wasn't during the marathon. I'll revisit it later.

#24 Black Christmas (1974) (October 25th)

For a 40 year old proto-slasher it does it better than most that came well after it. It's amazing just how many of the tropes are here, and done well.
The call was literally coming from inside the house!
There was ever reason for it to feel stale, but I think it holds up excellently.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)
16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)
17. The Thing From Another World (DVD)
18. What's the Matter with Helen? (DVD)
19. The Vagrant (DVD)
20. The Godsend (DVD)
21. The Outing (AKA: The Lamp) (DVD)
22. Swamp Thing (Blu-Ray)
23. The Darkest Hour (Blu-Ray 3D)
24. Death Kappa (Blu-Ray)
25. Evilspeak (Blu-Ray)
26. Tales From the Crypt: Ritual (Netflix)
27. The Puppet Masters (Blu-Ray)

28. Rawhead Rex (DVD)

-A helpful GAFer helped me determine the name of this movie based on a vague description of a scene I recalled seeing as a child and I finally managed to find a copy of it at Comic-Con this past summer.
It definitely didn't terrify me (like the scene I accidentally saw as a kid did), but it was pretty entertaining and had a cool story.

29. Sinister (Blu-Ray)

-I had this one hyped up like crazy for me and although I did enjoy it, I found it to be a bit underwhelming. It was certainly creepy, but didn't really scare me all that much.

30. Mirrors (Blu-Ray)

-I had pretty low expectations for this one but it pleasantly surprised me! I especially enjoyed the ending.

I'm gonna give Ravenous a watch before bed tonight and then I'll have successfully watched 31 'new' horror movies this year! :D

19. Spanish Dracula (rewatch)

Every Halloween I watch Dracula, but this year, I wanted to vary it a bit and watch the Spanish version, which is included on my DVD copy. I've seen it once before, and decided on a whim to watch it again. This isn't just a Spanish dub, it adds and changes scenes and dialogue, making it a sort of Dracula: Special Edition. It's worth checking out, especially if you enjoy the Bela Lugosi version.

1. White Zombie
2. Shadow of the Vampire
3. The Cabin in the Woods
4. The Stuff
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
6: Dawn of the Dead (1978)
7. Day of the Dead
8. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
9. Stephen King's Children of the Corn
10. The Blair Witch Project
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
12. Ravenous
13. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
14. Rosemary's Baby
15. Fright Night
16. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
17. Let The Right One In
18. Scream

Film 30: Ravenous (1999)
Method of Viewing: Netflix

MJVTFcx.jpg

A much better film than I ever thought. I always caught the trailer at the beginning of a lot of movies in the late 90's but gave it no thought like most people. Tension and suspense filled with scenes that get your heart racing. Robert Carlyle is such a good actor.

Film 31: The Vanishing (1988)
Method of Viewing: Hulu Plus

UIkbqo3.jpg

Interesting little Dutch film about a woman that goes missing all of a sudden while traveling through France with her boyfriend. It is not scary or technically a horror movie but the horror of your friend getting abducted and
three years later finding out it was some psychopath who preys on women.

Criterion Collection
1. The Night of the Hunter
2. The Devil’s Backbone
3. Eyes Without a Face
4. Sisters
5. Repulsion
6. The Living Skeleton
7. The Innocents
8. The Blob
9. Hausu

TREEHOUSE OF HORROR
10. The Amityville Horror
11. Night of the Living Dead
12. Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
13. Demon Seed
14. The Fly ‘58
15. Frankenstein
16. Shocker
17. The Omega Man
18. Bram Stoker’s Dracula

LUGOSI AND KARLOFF
19. The Return of the Vampire
20. The Body Snatcher
21. White Zombie
22. The Black Cat

DIGGING THROUGH THE GOOD STUFF
23. Fright Night
24. Young Frankenstein
25. You’re Next

ATTACK OF THE SEQUEL-A-THON
26. Halloween II ‘81
27. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

28. Dead Alive
29. Gremlins
30. Ravenous
31. The Vanishing '88

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Marathon

Movie #28: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Still one of the all-time favourites. Everything about it so well done. Leatherface's introduction still gets to me every time. The way the music and sound works in unison within him coming out of nowhere along with the absolute brutality of his actions are just terrifying. Still holds up 40 years later.

Movie #29: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Watching this back to back with the original makes the difference in tone between all the more pronounced. They replaced the brutality of the violence in the first with gore and exploitation, and the menace of the cannibal family with a more over the top, goofy personalities. Parts of it come off as comedic more than horror.

That said I still think it is an enjoyable film. I like the two protagonists that they've got (although I forgot how much of the movie Stretch spends just shrieking) and for the most part they execute well on the new style they are going for. It looses the thread in the middle pretty badly but manages to find its way into a pretty decent landing at the end.

Movie #30: Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III

What a boring movie. Boring characters. Boring action. Boring story. Boring shots. Everything is boring. I guess Ken Foree was pretty cool in this and there is some decent gore. Not a good movie.

Movie #31: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.

What a weird movie. More a straight slasher flick then the others it has this really campy writing that once again gives this film a wildly different tone from the previous films. It also has a weird scene where they recreates a 60 second shot from the original film. It isn't good but at least it more entertaining than the third film...?

Tomorrow I will finish off this year's round of horror films with a marathon of the Scream franchise.

Snake

I haven't updated in almost two weeks, but the horror hasn't stopped!

(In between these entries I also watched the entire Friday the 13th series, but I don't feel like writing about them since I've covered them in previous versions of 31 Days of Horror)

pOzu89n.png

I held off on seeing this film for a long time because I mixed it up in my head with The Exorcism of Emily Rose, but I finally took the plunge and was glad for it. The Last Exorcism is a solid found footage film. It actually has relevant themes, a decent touch of mystery, and a nice payoff. No, it's not an amazing film by most standards, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and would definitely recommend it to found footage fans.

Tnw3qqx.png

The sequel, on the other hand, is totally skippable. Not only does it undermine the original, it also manages to do nothing interesting with the change in POV/style of presentation. Generic.

6FSspbL.png

I crossed the finish line with this film on purpose. But I'm afraid to say that I wasn't pleased with V/H/S Viral. It's the least of the series by far. First and foremost, we're dealing with a much shorter entry with only three short films + wraparound. Of those four components, only two are passable, movies 2 and 3. And even those tested my patience at times. Maybe I'll change my mind upon rewatch, but right now I'm disappointed.

Ck1Vj3P.png

4 continues on the path that 3 set up, but winds up being a major step down. The accompanying image is probably the best part of the movie. Freddy and the dream sequences have gotten stale.

dqAj0jm.png

Not a complete waste, but not very compelling either. Another step down.

Ko2UJia.png

Nothing to say that wasn't already said about 4 and 5.

iC8E1cy.png

[Rewatch]
My memory of Wes Craven's New Nightmare did not jive with what I saw for the first hour. My recollection was that I was so bored watching it the first time that I wanted to fast forward to the end. This time around I came in with a more open mind, and was rewarded, at least for some time. Unfortunately, the second half of the film squanders the premise and turns into as generic Freddy fare as you'll find in any of the later Elm Street films.

WoodWERD

Why are some people stopping at 30? Ahh can I stomach 2 more today?

28. Texas Chainsaw (2013, Netflix) - A bit of a new twist on the classic. Pretty bloody and it kept me entertained for the most part. Helped that there were some smoking hot chicks.

29. Saw IV - Not sure the last time I watched a Saw movie, and I'm pretty sure I didn't see #3, but what does it matter really. Jigsaw always wins and there's some gruesome fucking kills, like the
ice blocks...wtf!
Some of the transition effects between different scenes were pretty laughable. Maybe I'll finish this marathon off with 5 & 6.

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
13. The Serpent and the Rainbow
14. Re-Animator
15. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
16. Phantoms
17. Monkey Shines
18. Dark Skies
19. Ravenous (rewatch)
20. Mine Games
21. Would You Rather
22. Darkness Falls
23. The Horde
24. Dead Silence
25. Dead End
26. Dead Snow
27. Bad Milo!
28. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
29. Saw IV

Steamlord

#43 - Blood and Roses

A beautiful, dreamlike adaptation of the Carmilla story with a bonkers dream sequence near the end. Good stuff.

#44 - The House By the Cemetery

Even more ridiculous than City of the Living Dead, but it didn't take itself too seriously so I had fun with it. The bat scene had me in stitches.

obin_gam

A few hours late, but for number 30 I watched the best zombie movie of all time.

No, not Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

0iYfjKb.jpg

Tonight we make love til we die!

Oct. 30

220px-The_Mummy_1932_film_poster.jpg
The-wolfman.jpg

My daughter Zoe took me to see a double feature of these two classics last night at a local theatre. I presume both films were 4K masters from the most recent restoration done for the Universal Classic Monsters The Essentials collection released on Blu-ray last year. They looked and sounded excellent on the big screen. Of course, I've seen both many times before, but as much as I love these films this was my first opportunity to see either in an actual cinema. The Mummy was as ethereal and dreamlike as always. The Wolf Man, made only 9 years later, feels so much more modern; Evelyn Ankers star power shines on the big screen and the chemistry between her and Lon Chaney is notable. Wonderful films but I would have gone if they were showing Ed Wood's stuff; having my 23 year old daughter ask me out to see a horror movie at Halloween is a gift not to be denied.

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other Hammer monsters week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)
  19. Twins of Evil (1971)
  20. Vampire Circus (1972)
  21. Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (1972)
  22. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)
  23. Ravenous (1999)
  24. The Mummy (1959)
  25. The Reptile (1966)
  26. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
  27. The Gorgon (1964)
  28. X The Unknown (1956)
  29. The Mummy (1932)
  30. The Wolf Man (1941)

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)
16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)
17. The Thing From Another World (DVD)
18. What's the Matter with Helen? (DVD)
19. The Vagrant (DVD)
20. The Godsend (DVD)
21. The Outing (AKA: The Lamp) (DVD)
22. Swamp Thing (Blu-Ray)
23. The Darkest Hour (Blu-Ray 3D)
24. Death Kappa (Blu-Ray)
25. Evilspeak (Blu-Ray)
26. Tales From the Crypt: Ritual (Netflix)
27. The Puppet Masters (Blu-Ray)
28. Rawhead Rex (DVD)
29. Sinister (Blu-Ray)
30. Mirrors (Blu-Ray)

31. Ravenous (Netflix)

-I went in thinking this would be a slasher flick based on the above poster, but it was not at all what I expected! Great stuff and props on the recommendation! :)

I've now officially watched 31 'new' movies so I'm going to celebrate by watching a bunch of my old favorites today. :)

Happy Halloween!!

Kayo-kun

#12 Critters

d1fzf11.png

Hilarious 80:s monster movie. I always prefered the Gremlins over the Critters thought. The only thing that bothers me with this movie is the slow intro and the parts with the bounty hunters, would have been a much better movie without those parts.

Previous:
#11 Fright Night (Oct 30)
#9 Ravenous (Oct 26)
#8 Willow Creek (Oct 20)
#7 Street Trash (Oct 19)
#4 Brainscan (Oct 5)
#2 Demons (Oct 2)
#1 White Zombie (Oct 1)

BioHazard

Haven't posted in the thread until now, so here's the bulk post:

01. Horns - 2014 - 3/5
02. Big Ass Spider! - 2013 - 2/5
03. Dead Snow - 2009 - 5/5
04. V/H/S - 2012 - 5/5
05. V/H/S: Viral - 2014 - 4/5
06. ABCs of Death 2 - 2014 - 4/5
07. Resolution - 2012 - 3/5
08. Annabelle - 2014 - 1/5
09. The Town That Dreaded Sundown - 2014 - 3/5
10. The Horror of Party Beach - 1964 - 2/5
11. Dracula Untold - 2014 - 3/5
12. The Battery - 2012 - 4/5
13. ParaNorman - 2012 - 5/5
14. Pontypool - 2008 - 5/5
15. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - 2010 - 5/5
16. Cabin in the Woods - 2012 - 5/5
17. Ouija - 2014 - 2/5
18. The Thing - 1982 - 5/5
19. Abby - 1974 - 3/5
20. Cannibal Holocaust - 1980 - 5/5
21. Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein - 1948 - 4/5
22. The Phantom of the Opera - 1925 - 4/5
23. Homebodies - 1974 - 5/5
24. High Tension - 2003 - 4/5
25. The Satanist - 1968 - 2/5
26. Blood Feast - 1963 - 3/5
27. Inner Demons - 2014 - 2/5

I'm going to watch the last remaining 4 today. I've got Cub (2014), What We Do in the Shadows (2014), Halloween (1978), and Halloween II (1981) all lined up after work.

Divius

8HRgIMi.jpg

#28 - The Others
The only spooky/ghost/haunted house movie on my list this year. I thought I had not seen this before until 3/4th into it when I realized I had seen this prior and I remembered the twist as well. So that kinda sucked. I still enjoyed The others though; Kidman's performance is very decent, the movie has a great spooky, eerie atmosphere and the narrative and pacing are good as well. At times it has beautiful cinematography and the end reveal is handled quite nicely. Solid, but not very exciting. 7/10

Divius

uX4FFGQ.jpg

#29 - À l'intérieur AKA Inside
This was marvelous. Shocking, unsettling, with fist clenching tension and great gore to boot. Technically impressive and the actor performances were very solid. The only real negative point would have to be the '
zombie policeman
', which was just dumb and unnecessary. I'm sure anyone who has seen this will agree. Would recommend to pregnant women. 7.5/10

izakq

Saw_II_poster.jpg

Movie #29 - Saw II (2005) - Rent

It was ok, I guess, though there were a lot of flashbacks, again, and the rapid, single frame shots of whenever a new contraption is introduced gets a bit annoying. Thumbs in the middle.

Saw3_cape10.jpg

Movie #30 - Saw III (2006) - TiVo

I don't know why, but I liked this one better than the second film. Traps were good, the guy playing the grief-stricken father did a great job as well as Jigsaw. So better than the second, not quite as good as the first. Thumbs up.

Movie #1 - Night of the Living Dead (1968) - TiVo
Movie #2 - Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Youtube
Movie #3 - Annabelle (2014) - Theater
Movie #4 - You're Next (2011) - Netflix
Movie #5 - The Thing (1982) - TiVo
Movie #6 - Cabin In the Woods (2012) - Netflix
Movie #7 - Saw IV (2007) - TiVo
Movie #8 - Excision (2012) - TiVo
Movie #9 - V/H/S (2012) - Netflix
Movie #10 - Fire in the Sky (1993) - TiVo
Movie #11 - Would You Rather (2012) - OnDemand
Movie #12 - Oculus (2013) - Redbox
Movie #13 - The Blob (1988) - TiVo
Movie #14 - V/H/S/2 (2013) - Netflix
Movie #15 - Sinister (2012) - Rent
Movie #16 - Ring (1998) - YouTube
Movie #17 - The Conjuring (2013) - HBOGO
Movie #18 - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - Youtube
Movie #19 - The Mist (2007) - Rent
Movie #20 - REC (2007) - YouTube
Movie #21 - Martyrs (2008) - Dailymotion
Movie #22 - The Human Race (2014) - YouTube
Movie #23 - Creepshow (1982) - Rent
Movie #24 - Candyman (1992) - Netflix
Movie #25 - Hellraiser (1987) - Netflix
Movie #26 - Dumplings (2004) - Netflix
Movie #27 - Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) - Netflix
Movie #28 - Ravenous (1999) - Netflix

One more to go! I don't know if I'll have the time for it though, being that I'm taking my kid out tonight for trick-or-treating, and if I do, I don't know what to end it with. The only choice I have left:

Indisious
Rec 2
Shutter
The Purge: Anarchy

Kind of leaning towards The Purge: Anarchy.

-Kees-

Last big update, finally caught up.

#25 The Hills Have Eyes (1977) (October 26th) & #26 The Hills Have Eyes (2006) (October 27th)

Easier to talk about both all at once. I had to tell you which one I liked better I don't think I could. The original has a low-budget grainy 70's exploitation feeling and does it well. The remake has the mid 2000's ultra-violent saturated style and does it well. Maybe watching both for the first time back-to-back wasn't the best idea. I'd definitely watch both again.

#27 Cube (1997) (October 28th)

It's compelling and doesn't feel like you're spending the entire movie in one location, but the performances really keep me from fully embracing it.

#28 The Descent (2005) (October 29th)

If I could give a movie a high five, I'd give one to The Descent. Top to bottom I absolutely loved it. It also fails the reverse Bechdel test. Only one man has any dialogue, and he gets killed in the first 5 minutes.

#29 Resolution (2012) (October 30th)

I wasn't expecting that. Contrasting it with Cube, it also spends a lot if it's time in one single area, the difference being the 2 actors are really good and you buy their relationship. However it goes....places. I don't know, maybe it all makes sense if I wasn't kind of blindsided by it.

I'm about to sit down for my last film of the month, but before I do that I wanted to share this video that my eldest son just showed me.

Dizzee Rascal - Couple of Stacks - horror movie homage video

The lyrics are very NSFW, the video even more so. Not really my cup of tea musically, I will admit that, but if you're a horror fan the video is great. It's also only going to be up for this weekend, after which apparently it will disappear forever.

Happy halloween!

Divius

bLmtQEL.jpg

#30 - My Bloody Valentine
Rather typical 80s slasher that sets itself apart with its unique setting and location, as it takes place in a little mining town with a portion of the movie being in the actual mine. The characters are a bit too over the top, the kills are decent but nothing special and the story isn't that great either. Still, this wasn't all that bad considering and it is undeniably entertaining. 6/10

ElTopo

Banned
bLmtQEL.jpg

#30 - My Bloody Valentine
Rather typical 80s slasher that sets itself apart with its unique setting and location, as it takes place in a little mining town with a portion of the movie being in the actual mine. The characters are a bit too over the top, the kills are decent but nothing special and the story isn't that great either. Still, this wasn't all that bad considering and it is undeniably entertaining. 6/10

Did you see the uncut version? There's a pretty big difference.

Kayo-kun

#13 The Howling

howling.jpg

It's an ok werewolf movie. Kinda got bored half way throughout the movie so I don't have much more to say. Neat effects on the werewolves thought.

I have one more movie for tonight which I'll be watching later on. That one will be Night of the Creeps. Happy Halloween everyone!

Previous:
#12 Critters (Oct 31)
#11 Fright Night (Oct 30)
#9 Ravenous (Oct 26)
#8 Willow Creek (Oct 20)
#7 Street Trash (Oct 19)
#4 Brainscan (Oct 5)
#2 Demons (Oct 2)
#1 White Zombie (Oct 1)

#01 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#02 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#03 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#04 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#05 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#06 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#07 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#08 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)
#09 Sinister (2012) (October 9)
#10 The Conjuring (2013) (October 10)
#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)
#12 V/H/S (2012) (October 12 - 13)
#13 Funny Man (1994) (October 13 - 15)
#14 Carnival of Souls (1962) (October 15)
#15 Ravenous (1999) (October 16 - 17)
#16 Horror Express (1972) (October 17 - 20)
#17 Zombies Vs. Strippers (2012) (October 21 - 24)
#18 Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! (2008) (October 24 - 25)
#19 King of the Zombies (1941) (October 25 - 26)
#20 House of the Dead / Alien Zone (1978) (October 26 - 28)
#21 A Bucket of Blood (1959) (October 28)

Horror comedy. The plot is very similar to The Little Shop of Horrors (1960), but with less fantasy and a different brand of humor (satire). It has aged very well IMO. I enjoyed it a lot.

This movie is in the public domain.

#22 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) (October 28)

Amazing. It certainly deserves its reputation!

I loved the plot twist and thought that it was incredibly well played. That kind of twist can easily kill a story if it's not done properly. So I was surprised when I read on Wikipedia that the ending is actually the result of executive meddling.

I read an interesting fan theory: Francis killed Alan (think about it!). Not only did this film introduce the twist ending in cinema, but it might also have introduced the fridge horror!

There are several versions available. I'm no Caligari expert, but here are some tips that might help you choose one:

- Be sure that the version you watch is 71 minutes long and is tinted, not black and white (i.e. some scenes should be greenish, others reddish etc). The 51 minutes version is apparently the result of a transfer at wrong speed (and some scenes might be missing? I don't know)
- Several soundtracks have been made, so if you don't like what you're hearing, try another one!

See the IMDb board for more info.

Here's the version I watched. I found the soundtrack AWESOME. It was made by Timothy Brock.

Although the movie is in the public domain, some might want to buy it on disc. This should be useful: DVD / Blu-ray versions comparison.

[Short] Le manoir du diable / The Haunted Castle (1896) (October 30)

Considered to be the first horror film.
3 minutes of fun!

[Short] Barbe-bleue / Bluebeard (1901) (October 30)

Another silent horror film by Georges Méliès.
There's actually horror in this one.

Divius

1DwRuEN.jpg

#31 - I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale AKA Torso
Babes! Boobs! Blood! Very enjoyable sleazy schlock giallo featuring some beautiful locations and scenery, beautiful women and beautiful kills. I quite liked the soundtrack as well. 7/10

Movie #32: Scream.

The movie that started it all for me. It has the first horror film I had ever seen back in 1996 at the ripe young age of 10 years old after tricking my dad to take me. Still holds up really well although elements of it feel slightly dated. Obviously as I've seen more and more slasher flicks and understand the humour in the movie, I like it for very different reasons than when I first saw it. One of my all-time favs. So many really terrific scenes.

Scavenger

#27 Insidious (2010) 10/24 *First time viewing*
It's decent. Not that scary and there were a bunch of cheap ass lame jump scares, but what kept me watching it was the story which I found enjoyable.

#28 The Thing (1982) 10/26 *First time viewing*
I liked how the tension between the crew members was scarier than the thing itself.

#29 The Evil Dead (1981) 10/27 *First time viewing*
This is really good stuff. I like the special effects and there were some legitimately scary scenes.

#30 The Evil Dead 2 (1987) 10/28 *First time viewing*
A strange but very good sequel in its own way. What kind of crack was Raimi smoking?

#31 Ravenous (1999) 10/28 *First time viewing*
At first I thought it was going to have a serious tone, but I was also a bit suspicious because of the "Eat me" quote. Then shit hit the fan when the cannibal got chased while some hilarious background music is being played and the film gets progressively sillier. It's a great comedy. Its quirkiness kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks.

#32 The Raven (1963) 10/29 *First time viewing*
A very innocent horror comedy without any bloodshed. Not that great, but I liked Vincent Price's performance.

Previous films:
#1 The ‘Burbs (1989) 10/2 *First time viewing*
#2 Theatre of Blood (1973) 10/4 *First time viewing*
#3 Scanners (1981) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#4 Hardware (1990) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#5 Videodrome (1983) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#6 Alligator (1980) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#7 Street Trash (1987) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#8 The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#9 White Zombie (1932) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#10 Phantom of the Paradise (1974) 10/9 *Seen it before*
#11 Lisa and the Devil (1973) 10/9 *Seen it before*