• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Happy birthday Galaxy, you're the best game I've played in 19 years of gaming life. You are such a gigantic FUCK YOU to the competitors, it's amazing

thank you :x

Azure J

Fuu said:
I know it sort of deviates from the line you made but: bizarre and quirky SMG sequel all over my face.

With Shy Guys.

This please. Also, +1000 respect if they go he selectable characters route again. It's been ages since we could play as Princess Peach & THE Toad. :lol

Why stop there though? Throw Dasiy in the mix and call it a day.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
AzureJericho said:
This please. Also, +1000 respect if they go he selectable characters route again. It's been ages since we could play as Princess Peach & THE Toad. :lol

Why stop there though? Throw Dasiy in the mix and call it a day.
Sonic Mario's shitty friends.

Only half-kidding.

HUELEN10

Epilogue

-The Homecoming-

Page 1 (Music: Chico (Luma))

A short time after departing the girl's home planet on one occasion, a strange feeling came across the girl as well as all the other "family members". That night, when the girl lay down to sleep, a soft light enveloped her once more to remind her of her home. "Why every hundred years when we could go there now?" she thought. It had been about one year since something very special occurred, and it only felt right to visit again.

Page 2 (Music: The Wish)

The comet carrying the Lumas and the girl suddenly changed its course and started off on its journey to the girl's home planet once more. With its proud white tail glittering in the sky, and even more "family members" this time around, everyone was happily anticipating the celebration that awaited. When they finally arrived, the girl sat under that tree once more, looked up into the sky, and with a big smile on her face she loudly, yet proudly proclaimed...

Page 3 (Music: Starbit Festival)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEW GALAXY!

-The End-

Happy Birthday to SMG indeed, the best game ever made, and the Game of the Absolute!

SMG is probably the only game I look back on with nothing but pure, unabashed love. Even 1 year later, it's still the best game to come out since. Seeing this thread bumped has motivated me to go back and grab a couple more stars in honor of the occasion.

Haunted

Those .gifs are just awesome, Tab. I love how every time this thread is bumped and I click on it expectantly, I'm greeted by some new jump .gif from you. :lol Keep 'em coming.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Tab's .gifs just keep reminding me of all the fun in this game. I'm giggling at some of them. Again. A whole year after I first played it.

Struct09

124k936.png]

Happy birthday SMG!

jts

...hate me...
Shit, awesome timing. I just double 121 star'd the game last Sunday.

I HAVE 4 WORDS FOR YOU:

I LOVE THIS GAME!!! YEAAAAAAAH
</steve ballmer>

Birbo

Like many have said, playing this game gives me that same youthful excitement I felt when I first played SMB. It's such an excellent game.

Unfortunately, over the weekend my 5 year old son erased my save file of 75 stars. :( I'd been hoping to complete it at some point, but really don't want to start all over again (even though I'm sure I will once the shock wears off).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Okay, what the FUCK

I fired up my Wii again after months to have another run on SMG. Everything seemed fine but when I started playing the picture got all messed up. Everything consisted of lines and other messes. Basically unplayable. Is my videocard dead here? I can't test any other game since it's the only thing I have atm. Also, VC games seem to work fine, so it's half dead? Or could something be wrong with the disc? It is pretty scratched up.

Vinci

Danish
Happy birthday, Galaxy! You are the best game made in the last ten years, and I'd like to send out a massive props to the insanely awesome bastards that brought you to life.

And to Tab ... You are the patron saint of this game and you help rekindle the feelings I had first playing it every time I click on this thread. Thank you for your time and investment.

Nabs

Happy Birthday Galaxy :D

Naked Snake said:
I agree. Although I still didn't beat the game (and I've had it since release week), I'm at 56 stars or something like that. I need to turn on the Wii more often.

damn... you really need to get on that. You probably have 5+ galaxies to open.

Azure J

There isn't enough praise that can be given to this game. Coming in a time where the straight forward fun of a video game takes second tier to production values and hype, this game did nothing but remind me of why I love this hobby and why it still has such an impact on me 16 or so years after getting into it. I hope that somewhere this game has started a paradigm shift towards games being fun and creative for fun and creativity's sake.

Happy Birthday Super Mario Galaxy, and may there be many more to come.

Teetris said:
Okay, what the FUCK

I fired up my Wii again after months to have another run on SMG. Everything seemed fine but when I started playing the picture got all messed up. Everything consisted of lines and other messes. Basically unplayable. Is my videocard dead here? I can't test any other game since it's the only thing I have atm. Also, VC games seem to work fine, so it's half dead? Or could something be wrong with the disc? It is pretty scratched up.

Sounds like you fucked up your disc, which in turn should be a sin. :lol

Maybe you could try a disc doctor if you can get one?

Man, a year has passed and I still think Galaxy is one of the best-looking games of all time. :D

Just looking at some of those gifs and HD screens make me want to go back and play it. I'm busy with Resistance 2 and LBP so I'm not going to but they make me WANT to go back. Maybe when 1st semester ends, I'll spend my college's 1 1/2 month Christmas break playing the games I want to go back and play. It's just that so much awesome stuff is out this season that there is very little time to actually go back and replay old games.

Guzim

I remember buying this game when it came out thinking that it would be awesome, but that it would never replace SMB3 as my favorite Mario game. I was wrong, and this is one of my favorite games of all-time.

Penguin

Guzim said:
I remember buying this game when it came out thinking that it would be awesome, but that it would never replace SMB3 as my favorite Mario game. I was wrong, and this is one of my favorite games of all-time.

It's my favorite game of all time.

I remember going to the midnight launch (still stands as the only time for anything) of this game. The atmosphere was just so fun, the lines not so much.

Got home at like 2 in the morning and played this bad boy. Got like 10 stars or something like that.

Beat the game in like 3 days.

Ahh to go through this game again for the first time.

Eteric Rice

Teetris said:
Okay, what the FUCK

Your drive could be broken or dirty.

Tab0203

Wii Will Rock U said:
Man, a year has passed and I still think Galaxy is one of the best-looking games of all time. :D

Just looking at some of those gifs and HD screens make me want to go back and play it. ...
36" 16:9 flatscreen CRT SDTV + RGB cable.

5cgahv.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
AzureJericho said:
Sounds like you fucked up your disc, which in turn should be a sin. :lol
Yeah, wasn't my fault though. :(

Eteric Rice said:
Your drive could be broken or dirty.
You mean the disc drive? I searched around the internet and found people had the same issues because their Wii was overheating which made the videocard unstable. I don't know if mine overheated but I just tried Zelda today. Had the same results in 3D areas. FMV seems to work fine.

Goddamnit, if it was any other game I would've said fuck it but I just have to play this game again. How much would Nintendo ask to fix this when you have no warranty?

The Hermit

Unregistered007 said:
I want to buy a Wii just for this game alone and maybe Zelda, but I think Wii is too expensive.

IF the Wii had the PS3 pricetag, SMG alone would be worth it... no kidding.

BTW, don´t buy Zelda.

Kusagari

Seeing this thread brought back so many memories. I was so hesitant towards Galaxy, I detested Sunshine and thought Nintendo could never win me back. They didn't just win me back they made one of the greatest games of all time. Even with how disappointed I am in the Wii itself, Galaxy alone is worth buying a Wii for. I don't know how Nintendo can ever top this one.

Woffls

Second favourite game of all time I think, only after Ocarina of Time.

I'll probably replay it this year, but i wont be getting 242 stars again :p

Penguin

The biggest disappointment of this gen thus far has been the lack of SMG knock-offs.

I know it would be near impossible for any of them to achieve the level of greatness, but to play pure, fun platformers again was something I was so looking forward to.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Penguin said:
The biggest disappointment of this gen thus far has been the lack of SMG knock-offs.

I know it would be near impossible for any of them to achieve the level of greatness, but to play pure, fun platformers again was something I was so looking forward to.

I would kill for downloadable content. A new planet every month.

The cure for depression is right there nintendo! DDOOO IIITTTTTT PLLLEAAASSSEEEE

robox

just beat the game over several sessions of playing it. there're a bunch of things i like about this game.

this game is just pure fun and joy. it's refreshing that it's not trying to be anything else. which in some ways is kind of a sad statement regarding video games today.

the game is presented in short bursts. small attainable short term goals that always keeps you interested. allows you to play for as short as you want or keep you going for a long time with the "just one more" mentality.

the game's a little on the easy side though. haven't decided whether that's good or bad. it's nice for low impact, low frustration experience. and even if a bit hard (trial planet) there's always an endless supply of 1 ups that'll let you try forever. i don't know why they don't just abolish lives altogether. but on the other hand, it's means it's not pushing the boundaries. they really are just scratching the surface of the gravity gimmick.

definitely going back to get the rest of the stars.

Model 500

Baiano19 said:
IF the Wii had the PS3 pricetag, SMG alone would be worth it... no kidding.

Easily. SMG is gaming at it's best. One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. And I've played computer & video games since SVI-318.

Shiggy

What a crappy Christmas this year! What would I give to play a game like SMG again...
I really hope that the Tokyo team will have something great in the pipeline next year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, semi late to the party. What do I mean by that? Well, I played a good chunk of the game previously, but never completed it. However, the portions that I played I felt were good enough that I had a feeling my overall opinion of the game (which was very fuck awesome) wouldn't change much if at all, and fortunately, turned out that it was the case. Let's get the good stuff out of the way.

Graphics: Holy fuck, I know this is nothing new, but the levels are friggin gorgeous. This is Nintendo's most aesthetically pleasing game ever imo. It actually made me NOT cry myself to sleep due to Wii being a vastly inferior console tech wise for once!

Level design: Utterly, utterly brilliant. The game smacks you with something new with every mission. The following are my favs:

Music: Yeah, of course.

-Matter Splatter Galaxy (dear god, the programming on this level must have been a bitch)
-Battlerock Galaxy
-Dreadnought Galaxy
-Dusty Dune Galaxy
-Freezeflame Galaxy
-Possibly Gusty Garden Galaxy

Okay, now for the not so good stuff.

Water Levels: Holy shit diediediediegoddamnyoudie!!! Course, this isn't cause of the levels themselves, but because of the SHITTASTIC swimming controls. I'm not exaggerating when I say these are probably the worst swimming controls I've ever encountered in a major game. What the hell happened here? Mario 64's swimming wasn't great, but I don't recall having so much difficulty in that. Wtf Koizumi?

Motion control based mini games: Fuck these as well. The rolling ball and ray racing immediately comes to mind. The Wii remote doesn't work well with this sort of shit. At the very least give a goddamn break button or something?

Sphere based planets where you have to chase something (usually a stupid rabbit): Okay, some may disagree with me on this bit. It's fun traveling around spheres at first because it's novel and all, but that shit gets very disorienting. Even moreso when you have to chase the goddamn rabbits and they have this irritating habit of changing directions just as you're getting near them, which sucks for me since almost always when I'm close to them, I'm in the middle of a jump, and turning can fuck you up based on what direction the camera is in.

Camera control: People gushingly praise the camera, but although it worked most of the time, I still yearned for a manual camera control. That's the other thing, the little camera control that was in the game was worthless. Why am I only able to view an extremely teeny tiny field of vision? I could view a 360 degree area with the Zeldas, why can't I do so with this game?!

Finally, stuff that's irksome to me, and only me:

Mario's Controls: Mario didn't control 'bad' in any way, however I felt that this Mario moved a bit too sluggish, and didn't seem to have the right amount of momentum and slight slipperyness of his elder brother.

The final Level: The background should have been used from Bowser's Dark Matter Reactor. Would have made the game feel 10 times more epic. Wasted potential. gg, again Koizumi.

Okay, so it may seem like I'm bitching quite a lot, but in all honestly I still love the game, and it's not as profound a disappointment as pretty much most of Nintendo's games within the past 10 years. Another Miyamoto masterpiece.

Tab0203

Vinci said:
Happy birthday, Galaxy! You are the best game made in the last ten years, and I'd like to send out a massive props to the insanely awesome bastards that brought you to life.

And to Tab ... You are the patron saint of this game and you help rekindle the feelings I had first playing it every time I click on this thread. Thank you for your time and investment.
My pleasure.

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation: 2D edition

2chq0lc.gif

148fct1.gif

Music: Tension, Nemesis King Koopa

Top Bottom