• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good god, what did IGN do to this review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 Review Removed
Analysis of SEGA's stat-footy pulled from site.
by IGN Staff

US, December 5, 2008 - We missed the mark -- that's the only way to explain why we've pulled the U.S. review of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 off our site.

After seeing the community feedback and having more editors look at the title, we agree with the readers that our original review didn't give Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 a fair shake. Unfortunately, our critical analysis of WWSM '08 focused more on what the author wanted it to be rather than what the product actually was. We review games at IGN based on their own merits, and agree that it was unreasonable to compare WWSM '08 with action-oriented sports titles like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer. Because of the unfair comparison, we have deemed the review unacceptable and have removed it from the site.

We extend our sincerest apologies to both SEGA and our readers for the mistake and confusion. Look for an updated and more accurate relation of IGN's view of WWSM '08 sometime in the near future.

Hope the original review was preserved for posterity.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
duckroll said:
They got it right in the title of the article. It's pretty sad that even their retraction has a typo though...
And that over and over again.. IGN is an qualoty side no?

nbcjr

Since it was deleted, here's the text:

Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 Review
This game gets a red card, and possibly a lifetime ban.
by Avi Burk

December 5, 2008 - What sports fan doesn't want to take control of his favorite team and guide it to a championship, or, better yet, a long string of championships? Well, if it means playing Worldwide Soccer Manager, you can count me in that number.

Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 gives gamers the chance to manage and coach 5,000 soccer teams from 50 countries around the globe, giving them the chance to manage every aspect of their team's roster, field questions from reporters at their team's press conferences, and coach their teams in real time as each simulated game unfolds. What it doesn't do, more importantly, is provide any compelling reason to keep "playing."

Although the game's database of more than 350,000 real-life soccer players is certainly impressive, only the most diehard fans of the sport would be able to appreciate having such a massive pool of talent to sift through, and the casual fan would almost certainly find the task overwhelming – I did.
This is a game solely intended for hardcore soccer fans.

The game's incredibly complex menu system is very difficult to navigate, even with the on-screen help box directing you through the process. In short, this game is extremely difficult to simply pick up and play. If you're unfamiliar with the franchise expect to spend a significant amount of time simply trying to figure out how to navigate the menus.

Worldwide Soccer Manager's presentation problems don't end there though, once you finally make it to your team's first game you'll find that the player renderings and animations are awful, and the stadiums you play in lack any kind of personality or detail. Each field is bordered by fences and what appear to be unfinished stands, which don't have any fans in them. And, when the ball is kicked off of the pitch, it passes smoothly through the surrounding fences, right through the stands, and disappears from view only to return to the field in the same fashion, appearing magically from the stands and passing through the fences (and goals) on its way back into play.

Then there's the sound, or lack thereof. There is no soundtrack that plays while you work in the game's menus, which you'll spend the vast majority of your time in this game doing. There is no audio narration to accompany your participation in press conferences, even though your options for how to respond to each question is incredibly limited. There is no audio commentary to accompany the action in the simulated game's you watch/coach. In fact, the only sound we found in the entire game was the tones of fans cheering as each simulated game played out – which only detracts from the game's feel of authenticity seeing as there are no fans rendered in the stands.
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 deserves a bicycle kick into the circular file.

As far as traditional gameplay goes, there really isn't any in Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009. Apart from managing your roster and coaching your team, there really isn't anything to do at all. So, unless you really enjoy clicking on menu buttons, you'll find your interaction with this game extremely disappointing.

However, if you're a big footie fan and big fan of sports simulation, you'll be extremely impressed with the depth of Worldwide Soccer Manager, which allows you to control just about every facet of your team and draw from a player pool that is simply mindboggling.

Closing Comments

This game obviously aims to provide the deepest soccer simulation experience possible for the sport’s most passionate and informed fans, but it offers little to nothing that would appeal to a casual fan of the sport or to the average videogame enthusiast. The menus are complex and difficult to navigate, graphics are terrible, the sound is non-existent and there is no traditional gameplay to speak of. I couldn’t imagine why anybody would prefer Worldwide Soccer Manager to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.

Ratings
4.0 Presentation

Although the menus are extremely involved and tough for beginners to navigate, the game’s depth is amazing.
2.0 Graphics

While I appreciate that the introduction of 3D in-game graphics is a step forward for the franchise, those graphics are simply terrible.
0.5 Sound

The only sound you’ll find in this game is the roar of the non-existent crowd… Absolutely worthless.
4.0 Gameplay

Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing soccer.
2.0 Lasting Appeal

This game is aimed at a very specific audience, and it’s inconceivable to me that anybody outside of that audience could play even an hour of this game before turning it off for good.

Terrible OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mama Robotnik said:
IGN said:
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 Review Removed
Analysis of SEGA's stat-footy pulled from site.
by IGN Staff

US, December 5, 2008 - We missed the mark -- that's the only way to explain why we've pulled the U.S. review of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 off our site.

After seeing the community feedback and having more editors look at the title, we agree with the readers that our original review didn't give Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 a fair shake. Unfortunately, our critical analysis of WWSM '08 focused more on what the author wanted it to be rather than what the product actually was. We review games at IGN based on their own merits, and agree that it was unreasonable to compare WWSM '08 with action-oriented sports titles like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer. Because of the unfair comparison, we have deemed the review unacceptable and have removed it from the site.

We extend our sincerest apologies to both SEGA and our readers for the mistake and confusion. Look for an updated and more accurate relation of IGN's view of WWSM '08 sometime in the near future.
Hope the original review was preserved for posterity.

I have the page saved, I knew it would have been pulled, and rightly so. I am slightly worried by the typos in the apology though, the game is dated 2009 guys! :).

Anyway, any of the people defending this "review" before this care to comment?

Slavik81

DarkJC said:
Of course they can sometimes be useful to a wide audience, can this statement be any more all-encompassing?

The way this review is written and the justification behind the score is that this game wasn't another game. I haven't read most of this thread, but is anyone arguing that this is an effective and useful way to review a game?
I don't know. I'd have to have played the game to know if his review is justified, though I suspect it isn't. Many people seem to agree that it is not, so I'll defer to their judgment.

As to your first point, sadly, I can't say every review will be improved by considering those who've not played previous entries in the series. Nor can every review be improved by only writing for the hardcore fans of the series. Instead, I think that a wide spectrum of opinions is useful. Have the game reviewed by both people who are new to the series and people who have the perspective of a hardcore fan. There are drawbacks to both perspectives.

The primary qualifications of a reviewer should be their analytical ability and their skill at communicating themselves.

O.K. here's a wrench just for the fun of it.

Say a game called Super Boring Popcorn Text Reader came out, should IGN judge it on the basis of what it's trying to do or trying to be, or should they judge it on how good (i.e. fun) the game actually is....

But honestly this is a good reason why IGN as a whole has multiple reviewers/reviewing countries. Tis a good thing, not bad....:D

painey

the real shame is the huge number of bugs and absurdities in games like FM2009 which go totally unmarked upon in video game reviews. Its no coincidence that its the PC games that suffer these "knocked out" reviews.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The On Timers said:
O.K. here's a wrench just for the fun of it.

Say a game called Super Boring Popcorn Text Reader came out, should IGN judge it on the basis of what it's trying to do or trying to be, or should they judge it on how good (i.e. fun) the game actually is....

But honestly this is a good reason why IGN as a whole has multiple reviewers/reviewing countries. Tis a good thing, not bad....:D
The Babiez series should be reviewed by toddlers. It probably wouldn't affect the quality of the writing too much.

Stoney Mason said:
I give them credit for retracting the review. Its nice to see someone make a mistake and own up to it for once.

3401_300.jpg

GunBR

Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing soccer.

This review will never stop being funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom