• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good god, what did IGN do to this review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dfyb said:
IGN still failed to follow their own guidelines

IGN Editors Are Gamers Too

Before we sat down and wrote about videogames for a living, we played them in-between sleeping, napping, resting our eyes, lying down for a bit, and the occasional job interview. Every single editor at IGN is a dedicated gaming fanatic who brings years of experience and knowledge to each and every review we write. Moreover, we don't just assign games to our editors on a whim; we only assign reviews based on which editors are knowledgeable and interested in that genre. This approach ensures that people that are interested in the products we're analyzing are hearing from editors with tastes similar to theirs.

Holy shit that's embarrassing and unbelievable.

Vormund

toypop said:
Do not let IGN review games

Fixed.

Seriously, I did some reviews for a website a few years ago and we always allocated games to the person who would be the most experienced/who could potentially get the most enjoyment out of it.

I usually did reviews on fighting games and racing games. You need to have someone who is familiar with the genre so they have a point of comparison.

I don't play RTS's, but I would never say a game was bad because I personally didn't like it.

Nothing wrong with having a review by someone experienced and in this case, just state this game is not for everyone. Usually you'd understand whether you wanted a game by reading a review by someone who actually bothered to write one properly. Also people tend to look at scores first before reading a review - this would put them off immediately looking at a 2.0

^^edit just noticed the above. WHAT BULLSHIT.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
SapientWolf said:
No, he said that they didn't appeal to him but he could see how fans of the genre might enjoy it. Subtle difference.

The problem is you probably wanna consider that in the review rather than blindly using it as a tool to convey that you don't understand it NOR do you even want to.

At a certain point he should have hit delete and outsourced it or just let the UK review serve as a worldwide score.

M3d10n

Going by the logic used to defend the review, every game should never get a good score, ever, since if you pick random people on the street half of them would probably get bored or annoyed when playing it.

You don't see this kind of shit in movies and music reviews. It's like reviewing a classic music album and saying it's terrible because you can't dance to it. That kind of stuff goes into blogs and personal journals, not supposedly professional reviews.

Steroyd

Dang it's like saying Command and Conquer RTS is dogshit because it doesn't play like Gears of War or Killzone. :lol

Fair enough if the reviewer's opinion is that he doesn't like the game but he's expecting a whole different genre, all he had to do was read the description on the back of the game case to know what he was getting into at the very least.

It's amazing how something like this can happen on a popular gaming website, and on more than one occasion.

derder

This just shows that IGN is the best source of video game journalism. They give us two points of view: one from a person who is qualified and another from someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

We are spoiled.

ok, I just read the frist pages and have the urge to comment that's been nagging me for a while. someone may already post similar comment, but here goes.

I really think any reviews need to explicitly state what their expectation of the game and who the target audience is. expectation and target audience can skew a review score that it may be misleading to some people.

look at the review in op. basically, the reviewer is not the target audience nor he has the right expectation of the game (he want Fifa, not Fifa Manager), he then continues to score it badly, but when gamer read that reviews, they may got bad impression of the game even though there's a chance he might actually enjoy manager type game and actually is the target audience of the game.

I think this applies to a lot of reviews with wide range of scores from really bad to really good(aside from some truly biased reviews). even a really good game can look bad if the reviewer has wrong expectation of the game. as a reviewer, it's their job to make clear to the consumer what the target audience is and clearly explain the consumer so we have the right expectation of the game.

applying my kind of reasoning to KZ2 in that wildly hot topic of 1up previews, the problem with 1up previews is that the journalist themselves are not sure what are their expectation of the game and not doing a really good job to explain it to reader. they don't think the game is new or innovative, they compare it a lot to CoD but they also said it's nothing like CoD, Halo and GeoW. only one person in 1up shows said that it reminds him to GRAW, that's a much better explanation than other guys at 1up who don't know what to think of the game and resort to simply said game is not fun or helghast is bad art design.

there goes my long rant about reviews in general these days. feel a little relieved after typing all that down. sigh

benjipwns

Banned
Ninja99 said:
:lol

Protip: Don't review sports games if you don't like or understand sports games.
He's the sports editor.
This points again to the problems with modern game reviews.

Their reviews are simply their opinion about the game. Do I like it, personally? Good score. Do I dislike it, personally? Bad score. There is no well researched critical theory that uses this method. These aren't "Critics" so much as they are "random people with personal opinions," which shouldn't be the point of reviews.

IGN is not the only review site to suffer from this, by the way. A great deal of game review sites operate under the personal-opinion method.
Ah, yes. I too remember the good ol days of classic game reviews that always followed an objective empirical method. When GameFan, Game Players and "Scary Larry" gave a score to a game, I knew they had applied a empirical critical theory to the game instead of just giving me their opinion.

senahorse

FirewalkR said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

This is too funny.

And sad for the game's devs.

My thoughts exactly. Another sad part is that I was not surprised by this in the least when I saw those three letters I G N.

This thread was good for one thing. All the IGN apologists are now on my ignore list. Some of the logic used to defend or "talk down" the stupidity of this review has been unbelievably atrocious.

TTG

I always wondered why there are about 5 reviews on IGN for each big release. US, UK, AU, LE and CE if that's available. Now I know

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Tim the Wiz said:
This thread was good for one thing. All the IGN apologists are now on my ignore list. Some of the logic used to defend or "talk down" the stupidity of this review has been unbelievably atrocious.
I love meltdown threads for the same reason. I've got so many on my list I forget why I even put most of them there...
so I just assume it was the miyamoto bungie meltdown

It's a review guys, seriously don't get distraught over stupid, mindless shit, dig?

I'm not attacking anyone, but c'mon, this kind of these don't matter.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
This is what IGN does to arguably the greatest games franchise ever?

I don't play these footie management games any more, but I used to in the good old Championship Manager days.

SI produces something that has no peers every year. Despite the millions of sales no one has come close to these guys, in any management game, let alone sports management. EA constantly fail at the task, despite their size, wealth and power to replicate their achievements.

Hell American sports are more stat friendly & stat focussed, and no management game even exists that rivals FM. I guess in some ways its an advantage that there is no official stat trackers in football ala American sports as this makes FM a tool as well as a game.

jorma

is now taking requests
What a joke.

So according to IGN US, this is the 15th most terrible game in the entire history of PC gaming. It boggles the mind thet they actually let the reviewer score it that low. Especially since it's already won an IGN editors choice award. Makes at least one of them look retarded...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Bet you the guy who reviewed this got cock blocked by his missus the night before and just had to take it out on someone.

Nathan Rain said:
It's a review guys, seriously don't get distraught over stupid, mindless shit, dig?

Journalistic integrity be damned.

*Insert Kotaku quote about losing credibility*

Slavik81

dfyb said:
this is entirely separate. yes, reviews should attempt to be objective and written by people who are qualified to review that game. otherwise, the review is USELESS without first knowing the opinions and tendancies of that specific reviewer. when i read a review, i want to find out how good the game is -- i don't give two flying fucks whether or not the guy that happens to be reviewing it personally has a grudge against something in the game and slams it for it. i can go to forums for that.
A person who's qualified to review 'a' game is qualified to review any game. There shouldn't be a heavy reliance on genre-knowledge just in order to play a game.

Regardless of whether you've played an FPS before, you should be able to understand how Bioshock is played. Similarly, regardless of whether you've played a soccer manager game before, you should be able to understand how Soccer Manager is played.

Communicating the rules of the game to the player is vital.

plufim

tfg9000 said:
It's not the reviewers fault that he doesn't have a large knowledge of management games. Blame IGN management for giving the review to the wrong person. Ideally they would have several people people with different tastes review each game, but thats not realistic. If you have a fan of a series or genre reviewing only those types of games then they would have inflated scores since they love those games.

I bet there are a lot of people that would share the reviewers feelings for both reviews.

No, they both take blame for this clusterfuck.

Having been assigned the job he should have taken the time to understand the game. He's paid to give an informed review.

Mohonky

I'm continually baffled by some of these reviews, especially when such reviews come from commercially successful sites as large as IGN. Don't these guys review games with fore thought?

I can understand not liking a game because it's not your thing, but wouldn't you review a game and consider it's potential with the target audience or future potential? You wouldn't review a game like Little Big Planet and say 'users can make and download other levels, but the other levels I downloaded were all shit, therefore this feature is shit and adds nothing' but you'd look at the tools available and recognise the potential there, even if you played first person shooters and had no inclination to play or create your own level designs or others, you'd have to be able to recognise what is there and grade accordingly.

Even then, at least make mention in your review that the score maybe higher or lower depending on personal tastes.

That review is just awful. It's not even well written. I'm usually one to take reviews with a grain of salt considering personal opinion but that seriously, wtf was that?

G-Pink

Anyone from IGN want to comment on this?

Looking at the review, god damn, that's a horrendous mistake. I wonder if the PR person pitching the game to him pissed him off, and he decided to lash back or something?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Tim the Wiz said:

Not going that far since I do not use that forum's function, ever, but really guys

WHAT THE FUCK?! :O

This is one case where I feel the devs/publisher are definitely entiled to pull every ad pages from the website.

Brobzoid

G-Pink said:
Anyone from IGN want to comment on this?

Looking at the review, god damn, that's a horrendous mistake. I wonder if the PR person pitching the game to him pissed him off, and he decided to lash back or something?
ign people don't post here. their demographic is 13 year olds, while gaf caters to the unmarried uncles of said 13 year olds.

dfyb

Banned
Slavik81 said:
A person who's qualified to review 'a' game is qualified to review any game. There shouldn't be a heavy reliance on genre-knowledge just in order to play a game.

Regardless of whether you've played an FPS before, you should be able to understand how Bioshock is played. Similarly, regardless of whether you've played a soccer manager game before, you should be able to understand how Soccer Manager is played.

Communicating the rules of the game to the player is vital.
i'd say i'm fairly qualified to review games, but i'm not qualified to review sports games because my frame of reference for sports games is mostly wayne gretzky'98 and NFL blitz on n64. people would read my review and think "wtf, this guy hasn't played sports games in like 10 years" and my review would be pretty useless to anybody who actually likes and plays sports games... which would be most people who read the review.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Opiate said:
This points again to the problems with modern game reviews.

Their reviews are simply their opinion about the game. Do I like it, personally? Good score. Do I dislike it, personally? Bad score. There is no well researched critical theory that uses this method. These aren't "Critics" so much as they are "random people with personal opinions," which shouldn't be the point of reviews.

IGN is not the only review site to suffer from this, by the way. A great deal of game review sites operate under the personal-opinion method.
DING DING FUCKING DING.

People defending this review because the reviewer "didn't like the game" are idiots, a review should give potential buyers an insight on what the game achieves, not one where it is berated because it isn't a genre they enjoy.

I'll say this, AGAIN for the people who are clearly not reading and thus defending Avi Burk on false pretences: If Avi adequately demonstrated that he actually played the game properly, learned the systems, played at least a season before writing his review, and gave a critique of what FM is all about, and then slammed it, I wouldn't have a problem, that did not happen.

It is clear that Avi did NOT play for more than an hour, it is clear that no effort was made to play the game properly, and as such the "review" was short, uninformative, and quite wrong really. This isn't elitism, this is a reaction to one of the worst reviews processes I have ever seen in my life.

dfyb

Banned
IGN's explanation of their own ratings and reviews explains what a pretty good review should be. you only need to compare it to their own guidelines to see how much of a failure this review is. i've already quoted two major contradictions, but those aren't the only two.

dfyb said:
http://games.ign.com/ratings.html
We Don't Make Assumptions

When a game is reviewed by IGN, fair analysis is a part of the deal. Our reviewers will not make assumptions of what a game should or shouldn't be prior to playing it. Its general popularity (or lack thereof) and previous coverage has no bearing whatsoever on what we ultimately think about a finished game when it's time to review it.

IGN Editors Are Gamers Too

Before we sat down and wrote about videogames for a living, we played them in-between sleeping, napping, resting our eyes, lying down for a bit, and the occasional job interview. Every single editor at IGN is a dedicated gaming fanatic who brings years of experience and knowledge to each and every review we write. Moreover, we don't just assign games to our editors on a whim; we only assign reviews based on which editors are knowledgeable and interested in that genre. This approach ensures that people that are interested in the products we're analyzing are hearing from editors with tastes similar to theirs.

those defending this IGN review happen to be fighting against IGN's review guidelines.

I think the thing that annoys (and amuses) me most is people referring to the Championship/Football Manager series as 'niche'. Fuck your Americentrism, just this once. This game, which is the most accurate and comprehensive simulator of what is by far the world's most popular sport, is a mass market title in the UK and across Europe.

Brobzoid

Shake Appeal said:
I think the thing that annoys (and amuses) me most is people referring to the Championship/Football Manager series as 'niche'. Fuck your Americentrism, just this once. This game, which is the most accurate and comprehensive simulator of what is by far the world's most popular sport, is a mass market title in the UK and across Europe.
u kno uk is in Europe rite? fuck this segregation shit u fools be on.

PSGames

Nathan Rain said:

Reviews affect sales.

Closing Comments
This game obviously aims to provide the deepest soccer simulation experience possible for the sport’s most passionate and informed fans, but it offers little to nothing that would appeal to a casual fan of the sport or to the average videogame enthusiast. I fall into the latter category, and given that I am completely unable to look past my own bias and provide any sort of objective opinion on the game, I decree that this is the biggest pile of shite ever. I mean football, bunch of men hugging each other when they score.... Urrrrgh!

Maybe its a joke, the reviewers name is Burk after all :p

m3k

just looking at the scores... i always thought it was common sense to go to a review from a country where the sport is played alot for a more accurate review of a sports game... i know i have left that wide open for debate but generally speaking i found americans did not generally review football/soccer games as well as say, the british

and i would look at american mags for insight into basketball games

and so on

Doubledex

Banned
Darklord said:
US review: 2.0 http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/936/936295p1.html

UK review: 9.1 http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/930/930213p2.html
:lol

How on earth did they let the US one pass? He's complaining a sim managing game isn't like Fifa 09.
He complains about non-fans won't like it: No shit! It's not for casual players it's for hardcore soccer fans.

It would be like me going "I don't like Halo Wars. Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing as Master Chief in a first person view"

I'm not even into soccer but god damn that's pathetic.
WHAT THE F#CK??? ARE THEY F+CKING KIDDING ME???
How stupid are they to rate a game low, just because the don't GET and LIKE the genre?
WHAT THE F!

Its fairly simple the guy should have just talked to his manager about not having a clue and that someone else with a bit of knowledge should have reviewed the game.

IGN :lol :lol :lol

Haunted

Requesting IGN to be wordfiltered. Or at least IGN US. Or at least Avi Burk.

Review saved for whenever someone defends anything IGN related.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The 9.1 is just as laughable as the 2.0 in my opinion. How can you rate a stats game so highly when the UI is garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom