• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good god, what did IGN do to this review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

Ghost said:
The 9.1 is just as laughable as the 2.0 in my opinion. How can you rate a stats game so highly when the UI is garbage?

the score isn't the issue, since in the end its opinion. the issue is how that score was derived - the reviewer clearly had the wrong mindset and barely played it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
while i'm not one to wish unemployment on a guy in the run up to christmas during the greatest economic downturn of modern times....well, avi, maybe you can trade that journalism degree for a jolly red hat and a fake white beard.

i can't think of a more effective way to demonstrate your absolute and irrefutable inability to perform your job than this uncultivated bile.

Gagaman

Lazy reviews seem to be becoming more and more common on IGN. The Sonic Unleashed 360 video review of deliberately jumping into pits and now this. :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Ghost said:
The 9.1 is just as laughable as the 2.0 in my opinion. How can you rate a stats game so highly when the UI is garbage?

It really isn't. While the scores isnt the main issue as people already stated, 9.1 is perfectly valid and pretty much expected for a franchise that is widely considered the best in the genre. 9.1 reflects its status as a AAA manager game.

2.0 is a score that was only 'beaten' by 14 other games, in the history of IGN pc reviewing.

Blimey are all the players pussies or something? I've just lost 3 of them in one match.

I wasn't expecting that level of realism with them all faking injuries, so I wonder if you can instruct them to make a racist comment in the press.

Slavik81

dfyb said:
i'd say i'm fairly qualified to review games, but i'm not qualified to review sports games because my frame of reference for sports games is mostly wayne gretzky'98 and NFL blitz on n64. people would read my review and think "wtf, this guy hasn't played sports games in like 10 years" and my review would be pretty useless to anybody who actually likes and plays sports games... which would be most people who read the review.
No, that would make the review more useful to a small, hardcore audience. In fact, their extensive familiarity with the series would probably make them less useful to a wide audience. It's very hard to cast aside that understanding and perspective. Things that seem to make sense might only be that way because they've been done that way for a long time. To an outsider, they could be totally nonsensical.

If I were to go look at a review of Madden '10, I'd want to know "How well does this game explain itself for those of us who might never have played Madden?". To me, it looks pretty daunting. Reassurances that its easy to learn how to play in Madden '10 from someone who's played Madden '96-'09 might be unconvincing.

dfyb

Banned
Slavik81 said:
No, that would make the review more useful to a small, hardcore audience. In fact, their extensive familiarity with the series would probably make them less useful to a wide audience. It's very hard to cast aside that understanding and perspective. Things that seem to make sense might only be that way because they've been done that way for a long time. To an outsider, they could be totally nonsensical.

If I were to go look at a review of Madden '10, I'd want to know "How well does this game explain itself for those of us who might never have played Madden?". To me, it looks pretty daunting. Reassurances that its easy to learn how to play in Madden '10 from someone who's played Madden '96-'09 might be unconvincing.
you're contradicting IGN's own review guidelines (which are actually pretty good, if only they'd follow them) and just plain old sound logic.

IGN said:
we only assign reviews based on which editors are knowledgeable and interested in that genre. This approach ensures that people that are interested in the products we're analyzing are hearing from editors with tastes similar to theirs.

nobody's going to click to read a soccer manager review if they aren't interested in a soccer manager game. and if they happen to want a regular soccer game, they'd find out the soccer manager game wasn't for them by simply reading the text in the review.

let's say a newbie did review a game... and now it may benefit some other newbies. oops, the review is now worthless to most of the game's market. but the experienced player could still benefit the newbies as well, because they'd know more about the changes that may or may not make it easier for new players.

in essence, you don't get some uneducated newbie to educate others about something.

edit: fuck it. i'm now repeating myself. fuck GAF.

Fio

Ghost said:

The UI is not garbage, definitely.

To the people that have been playing the serie for a long time, there's no problem whatsoever. I do admit that for someone new to the game it's a bit overwhelming at first, but with patience (and if you don't have patience, don't bother playing WSM) you can "get" the interface in less than an hour.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Slavik81 said:

Dude, you could probably say the same thing about the Civilization games too.

Splatt

:lol :lol :lol

Oh wow. I can't believe they put up such a review... wait, I actually can :lol :lol

tfg9000 said:
The reviewer doesn't like that type of game. It's his opinion. I don't see the big deal. Would you rather it get a higher score because he thinks someone else might enjoy that type of game a lot?

ao00b5.jpg

Ghost said:

What's wrong with the UI?

The whole game is set out to replicate the real world equivalent of whatever the page is attempting to do. If you are on the News section then the screen is laid out as if it were Outlook, click on a subject and the message is displayed on the bottom screen.

The squad pages are just a table of players names and a series of stats that can be resorted however you want. You want to know about a specific player...just click on his name and go to the players individual page.

Tactics are probably the most complex part of the game (and where the most dedicated players spend most of their time as it's where you turn good teams into great teams most effectively when you know what you're doing) and even that page is blindingly simple to use. A diagram of the pitch, the players represented by where they stand on the pitch in the current formation, a drop down menu to select different formations and another to select individual and team instructions. You want to withdraw one of your forwards to turn a 4-4-2 into a 4-4-1-1? Just drag the players number to the gap between midfield and the front line. You want to play long ball football? Set the tallest forward to a Target Man and pick direct passing, channeled through the middle.

If you don't have a clue about football then most of it will look like gibberish, but then if you don't have a clue about football you probably will never play Football Manager anyway. It is marketed, designed and regarded as the ultimate in-depth simulation of the sport. If you don't think you have the knowledge of the game to coach Football (or at least bullshit about it) and have no inclination to spend a few hours learning how to then don't play this game.

It's called Football Manager. It simulates being a Football Manager. Booting up the game and discovering that it's a series of spreadsheets with the names of footballers on it should be the least surprising turn of events imaginable.

:lol

That is the worst review I've ever read. I mean, I have Football Manager fatigue and am not interested in buying this year's iteration at present, but come on....

Metal Gear Solid 4 is so shit for not letting me play Mario Kart at Shadow Moses. I cannot imagine why anyone would rather play MGS4 than Tiger Woods 2009 or Singstar.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Darklord said:
US review: 2.0 http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/936/936295p1.html

UK review: 9.1 http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/930/930213p2.html
:lol

How on earth did they let the US one pass? He's complaining a sim managing game isn't like Fifa 09.
He complains about non-fans won't like it: No shit! It's not for casual players it's for hardcore soccer fans.

It would be like me going "I don't like Halo Wars. Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing as Master Chief in a first person view"

I'm not even into soccer but god damn that's pathetic.
That's wield they gave it some bad scores in the UK review and it still got a 9.1? Man does IGN need to change the way they review games.

JonathanEx said:
Blimey are all the players pussies or something? I've just lost 3 of them in one match.

I wasn't expecting that level of realism with them all faking injuries, so I wonder if you can instruct them to make a racist comment in the press.
There's supposed to be a patch out that fixed the very high injuries number.

Gabyskra

Banned
Who the hell is complaining about the user interface? It's really good already considering how much there is to do when nothing is automatized; and the FM fan community is fantastic, coming up with great graphical tweaks as the year goes on.

Sorry, but a bit of research is not asking too much from reviewers, or people defending said reviewers.

FM 2009 may not deserve a 9 out of 10 grade, but that's only because SI perfected the engine prior to this year, especially from 2006 to 2008. They still have a lot to do with 3D, but that only means that as it stands, it's at least an 8 out of 10.

This is *pretty* pathetic. This is what passes for writing at IGN, apparently. People defending the review are almost as bad. There's no defense of this, whatsoever.

Honestly, I have no interest whatsoever in playing this game- but with a niche genre like sports management it seems fairly clear that the game should be reviewed for its probable audience.

Seriously, games like this only appeal to a certain type of person. It should be reviewed relative to their expectations.

Slavik81

dfyb said:
you're contradicting IGN's own review guidelines (which are actually pretty good, if only they'd follow them) and just plain old sound logic.

nobody's going to click to read a soccer manager review if they aren't interested in a soccer manager game. and if they happen to want a regular soccer game, they'd find out the soccer manager game wasn't for them by simply reading the text in the review.

let's say a newbie did review a game... and now it may benefit some other newbies. oops, the review is now worthless to most of the game's market. but the experienced player could still benefit the newbies as well, because they'd know more about the changes that may or may not make it easier for new players.

in essence, you don't get some uneducated newbie to educate others about something.

edit: fuck it. i'm now repeating myself. fuck GAF.
Whether the concept has merit and whether IGN allows it are two separate things. I'll totally agree with you if you want to make the case that this guy wrote a poor IGN review because it wasn't following IGN review guidelines.

However, I still maintain that a review written by a less experienced person can sometimes be more useful to a wide audience than a review written by an expert.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Dude, you could probably say the same thing about the Civilization games too.
Sure. That's ok with me.

Gibb

Someone should start a website for bull like this, listing review gems like this one.. linked to the author's name and add in a search feature for future LOLs or cringes.

linsivvi

Slavik81 said:
However, I still maintain that a review written by a less experienced person can sometimes be more useful to a wide audience than a review written by an expert.

Sure, if you're writing for the video game section of a newspaper or Entertainment Weekly or something. Not when you're writing for a dedicated video game website, and one of the largest ones there is. Not to mention that this is the sports editor.

DarkJC

Of course they can sometimes be useful to a wide audience, can this statement be any more all-encompassing?

The way this review is written and the justification behind the score is that this game wasn't another game. I haven't read most of this thread, but is anyone arguing that this is an effective and useful way to review a game?

AnnSwag said:
That's wield they gave it some bad scores in the UK review and it still got a 9.1? Man does IGN need to change the way they review games.

They gave the gameplay 9.0 and lasting appeal 9.5, it's an amazing game just because there's a poorly implemented 3D engine doesn't detract from that.

IGN Ratings for Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 (PC)

4.0 Presentation: No Madden in the cover
2.0 Graphics: No UE3
0.5 Sound: No "eat sh*t and die"
4.0 Gameplay: No Guns
2.0 Lasting Appeal: Fulbo?
2.0 OVERALL

Kryten

Ok, am I reading this correctly? It looks to me like IGN have now pulled their review AND deleted the forum thread discussing it.

tino

Banned
Somebody still have the cache of the 2.0 webpage? I would like to have a screenshot to save on my hard drive.

Kryten said:
Ok, am I reading this correctly? It looks to me like IGN have now pulled their review AND deleted the forum thread discussing it.

Wow, awesome... obviously they listened. I wonder if they'll re-review it... what'll it get this time, a 3.0? :)

(But seriously, the review was so obviously wrong that they definitely did the right thing.)

Juice

Kryten said:

Why delete the thread? I hate how sites like IGN still get off on fighting their own users.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pilonv1 said:
the score isn't the issue, since in the end its opinion. the issue is how that score was derived - the reviewer clearly had the wrong mindset and barely played it.
Yeah, but if he gave the game a higher score there wouldn't have been this much of a backlash. If he rewrote the review and kept the score people would still come after him with fire and pitchforks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom