• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 49

wow @ Singstar ABBA - London was filled with ads for that one...

edit:

BishopLamont said:
It debut 4 weeks ago at number 2 on the PS2 charts, it has been number 1 ever since.

oh, never mind then.

sionyboy said:
I blame;

-Zero advertising

(From a UK perspective)

You've got to be kidding - I've seen TV adverts every bloody day for the past week or so. It has certainly had a decent ad push, so blaming that isn't going to wash.

Cosmonaut X said:
(From a UK perspective)

You've got to be kidding - I've seen TV adverts every bloody day for the past week or so. It has certainly had a decent ad push, so blaming that isn't going to wash.

I'm in the UK and have yet to see one ad for it. Lips/Your In The Movies/Animal Crossing/Ronan Keating's Wife and Daughter (in that order) but nothing for the Prince.

dabra

4rtb4p.png

Australia

The best selling games of 2008

1 Wii Fit
2 Wii Play
3 Mario Kart Wii
4 Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
5 Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
6 Mario & Sonic At The Olympics (Wii)
7 Mario & Sonic At The Olympics (NDS)
8 Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
9 World Of Warcraft Wrath of The Lich King (PC)
10 Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (NDS).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sionyboy said:
I'm in the UK and have yet to see one ad for it. Lips/Your In The Movies/Animal Crossing/Ronan Keating's Wife and Daughter (in that order) but nothing for the Prince.
There is a 360-branded advert on TV. I've seen it a few times. Like I said before, though, it's crap. It's that trailer they released before with the emotional music, but they took away the music, added some shitty male voice-over and upped the amount of combat. Truly a terrible ad.

Lucky for us it means the game will come down in price quick. :D

agm2502

cjelly said:
There is a 360-branded advert on TV. I've seen it a few times. Like I said before, though, it's crap. It's that trailer they released before with the emotional music, but they took away the music, added some shitty male voice-over and upped the amount of combat. Truly a terrible ad.

Lucky for us it means the game will come down in price quick. :D

I've seen this ad aswell, it isn't much good. Loads of 360 adverts on TV now. Also noticed Sony have started advertising LBP and Singstar ABBA.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/uk-charts-call-of-duty-5-sells-1-million-in-four-weeks

Activision's Call of Duty: World at War has sold over one million units in the UK, after only four weeks at retail.

Sales have dropped 15 per cent from last week, but the latest in the popular shooter series still holds on to the number one spot in the region. It took last year's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare eight weeks to sell one million units.

The question is, will they come back next year for Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2 :s

Frillen

test_account said:
That might be, and what he says might be true, but it is actually the way that he writes it that i question. The way i understand it is that he writes some of these comments in a negative way, like he is taking a shot at the PS3 preformace.

I once remember that he asked something like "why are people comparing Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles to Uncharted? Have the Sony fanboys hit a new low?". And then maybe 1-2 weeks later or something like that when the NPD numbers for USA came out, then he said something like "Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles outsold Uncharted? (insert like 10x "lol" emoticons here)", which in my opinion could be understood that he was comparing these 2 games to eachother himself. I also think he was banned for this comment if i am not mistaken (or atleast he was banned around at that time when he said that comment). This happend about a year ago, so i am not trying to pull up old stuff here, but i just wanted to say that this isnt the first time he writes some comments about the PS3 sales preformance.

When he was unbanned i cant recall seeing too many PS3 comments from him, but now they seem to be more frequently compared to how they were before, atleast after my knowledge. To me it feels more like he is more trying to take a shot at the PS3 sales and at the "Sony fanboys" rather than trying to put things into perspective (it might be that he tries to do this as well, but the way i understand it, he doesnt do it in a "neutral" way (or what i shall say) atleast), but as i said, please correct me if i am wrong, i could be missunderstand what he means.

I am not saying anything negative about Frillen just to point that out, he is probably a nice guy, i just wonder what he means with some of these comments about the PS3 :)

You have no idea what I've been called for the last few years. Everything from Sonunit, to Xbot, Ninendork, PC junkie etc. You name it! I've been a Sony fanboy, Microsoft fanboy, Nintendo fanboy and even an Apple fanboy according to you guys.

Yes, I've been much harcher when it comes to the PS3 and Sony fanboys these days because of a simple reason: You won't find a more arrogant group than Sony fans.

You know, I was a semi Sony fanboy myself back in the PS1 generation and in between the PS1 and the PS2. And I have one simple conclusion. Sony fans today acts COMPLETELY identical to the average Nintendo fan back in the late 90s/start of 2000. The same arrogant attitude. You don't have to look any further than to Wollan, Private Hoffman, Leech, SPwolf etc etc. You always know what they're going to spit out of their mouth when it comes to "fair" discussion. The worst thing is that they act like they aren't Sony fans and think they are 100% neutral. That's the vomiting part. Just like Nintendo fans were back in the N64/Cube days.

Remember back in the early Gamcube days? It's scary how much it compares to the early PS3 days which we are in now. Sony fans with a RIDICULOUS amount of spinning and their expecations when it comes to sales, performances etc. is ALL over the place, and changes faster then I change my underwear.

But hey, it entertainment! Can't wait to see Private Hoffman's, Wollan's etc reactions come this Thursday (NPD). It's going to be a ride.

Obviously everything has to do with how the system you are a fan of perform. And that's the reason why I REALLY hope the PS3 starts to pick up soon, so maybe Sony fans can take of their arrogant masks. But things aren't looking to hot for the system.

Dunlop

Frillen said:
Yes, I've been much harcher when it comes to the PS3 and Sony fanboys these days because of a simple reason: You won't find a more arrogant group than Sony fans

Bullshit, they all have the fanatic console warriors.

Wow, we need to start worrying about "console profiling" now :D

Sony misread the market, it is not their fans fault. Any system doing badly does not help us in the slightest

Frillen

Dunlop said:
Bullshit, they all have the fanatic console warriors.

Wow, we need to start worrying about "console profiling" now :D

Sony misread the market, it is not their fans fault. Any system doing badly does not help us in the slightest

I'm not saying that 360 or Nintendo fans are the brightest people in the world, and better than Sony fans. Because they're not. But way less arrogant? Heck yes.

Spiegel

Frillen said:
I'm not saying that 360 or Nintendo fans are the brightest people in the world, and better than Sony fans. Because they're not. But way less arrogant? Heck yes.
:lol

Frillen said:
You have no idea what I've been called for the last few years. Everything from Sonunit, to Xbot, Ninendork, PC junkie etc. You name it! I've been a Sony fanboy, Microsoft fanboy, Nintendo fanboy and even an Apple fanboy according to you guys.
Well, one thing is sure then!

Flakster99

Captain Smoker said:
Mario Kart Wii ist just a beast.

Double Dash didn't even manage 100.000 units in UK, MKW cracked the million mark. xD

That is impressive for many, many reasons. Mario Kart Wii is one of my top games for this generation. Incredible multi-player goodness.

Frillen said:
Yes, I've been much harcher when it comes to the PS3 and Sony fanboys these days because of a simple reason: You won't find a more arrogant group than Sony fans.

I stopped reading after this utter bullshit.

Dunlop

Flakster99 said:
That is impressive for many, many reasons. Mario Kart Wii is one of my top games for this generation. Incredible multi-player goodness.

I finally caved and got it for my kids for X-mas. I curious to try the MP

edit: Forgot this was a PAL thread, being a Canuck my aforementioned MK purchase has no bearing here. I'll tie it in by playing someone in the PAL region over the holidays :D

gtj1092

Frillen said:

You know, I was a semi Sony fanboy myself back in the PS1 generation and in between the PS1 and the PS2. And I have one simple conclusion. Sony fans today acts COMPLETELY identical to the average Nintendo fan back in the late 90s/start of 2000. The same arrogant attitude. You don't have to look any further than to Wollan, Private Hoffman, Leech, SPwolf etc etc. You always know what they're going to spit out of their mouth when it comes to "fair" discussion. The worst thing is that they act like they aren't Sony fans and think they are 100% neutral. That's the vomiting part. Just like Nintendo fans were back in the N64/Cube days.

Remember back in the early Gamcube days? It's scary how much it compares to the early PS3 days which we are in now. Sony fans with a RIDICULOUS amount of spinning and their expecations when it comes to sales, performances etc. is ALL over the place, and changes faster then I change my underwear.

But hey, it entertainment! Can't wait to see Private Hoffman's, Wollan's etc reactions come this Thursday (NPD). It's going to be a ride.

Obviously everything has to do with how the system you are a fan of perform. And that's the reason why I REALLY hope the PS3 starts to pick up soon, so maybe Sony fans can take of their arrogant masks. But things aren't looking to hot for the system.

Really more arrogant than nintendo fan? Nice of you to try and explain but really its not believeable because every side has raging fanboys who try and pretend to be neutral
Yes this includes you
but they are transparent because all of their post are about the company they supposedly can't stand.

gtj1092 said:
Really more arrogant than nintendo fan? Nice of you to try and explain but really its not believeable because every side has raging fanboys who try and pretend to be neutral
Yes this includes you
but they are transparent because all of their post are about the company they supposedly can't stand.

There's a difference between preference and arrogance. For example, I don't think there's any wonder that I prefer the 360, but I don't do the equivalent, for example, of going into a thread entitled JRPG Virgin - Xbox 360 and suggest Valkyria Chronicles, which just happened.

Cue the examples of 360 users posting in PS3 suggestion threads about, I don't know, Scene It? I guess? I'm sure it's happened. But that's probably where he's coming from.

Opiate

Please, all of you stop. Gtj, Frillen, please stop. Spiegel, please don't get sucked in.

Please guys? I have pictures of Unicorns if you'd like those. We all like Unicorns, don't we? And rainbows? And gumdrops -- who doesn't like gumdrops?

Opiate said:
Please, all of you stop. Gtj, Frillen, please stop. Spiegel, please don't get sucked in.

Please guys? I have pictures of Unicorns if you'd like those. We all like Unicorns, don't we? And rainbows? And gumdrops -- who doesn't like gumdrops?

Yeah, I like all three. I'm on your side now.

Kenka

A fairly impressive amount of bullshit in the last posts...

Come on guys, we are healthy dudes and what are we doing ? Spitting against each other whil we should be hanging out like brothers who share the same hobby. Let's forget this console war and let's drink a beer. Anyway, not even a single cent of what these companies earn falls in your pockets. So... let's avoid useless anger ok ?

I'm damn serious.

Kenka said:

Come on guys, we are healthy dudes and what are we doing ? Spitting against each other whil we should be hanging out like brothers who share the same hobby. Let's forget this console war and let's drink a beer. Anyway, not even a single cent of what these companies earn falls in your pockets. So... let's avoid useless anger ok ?

I'm damn serious.

I'm with you, man. But, I prefer cider. Is that cool?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kenka said:

I'm damn serious.
Yep, fully agree here, why people feel the need to get all pissed off about who likes what console is beyond me, we're all gamers here, we should be comrades in arms, not enemies.

Anywho, M&S At the Olympics hsn't stopped charting yet? It's like people are buying it just to make me choke on crow :/
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm with you, man. But, I prefer cider. Is that cool?
If you haven't drunk Scrumpy, you're not a Cider drinker.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32643/DS-breaks-all-time-UK-console-sales-record

Nintendo console unaffected by consumer spending slowdown as it claims historic achievement

Nintendo’s DS Lite has broken the all-time weekly sales record for hardware in the UK, MCV can reveal.

ELSPA/GFK-ChartTrack figures show that the console broke the record in week ending December 6th (week 49).

The system surpassed its own record to claim the achievement. And GFK-ChartTrack has predicted that the console could even break the milestone again before Christmas.

Opiate

Interesting, thanks Siony.

There were two competing trends for Nintendo during this recession:

1) Their hardware and software is generally the cheapest available. In harder times, cheaper things tend to do better.

2) Nintendo's hardware is generally considered the most "casual." Things that people buy casually tend to do less well in a recession than things that people care more passionately about.

It appears the former factor has significantly trumped the latter, assuming the latter has validity to begin with.

nli10

sionyboy said:

Superb news, the only thing that stopped it upping that in 49/50/51 last year was poor supply - and this year there are still units in the channel!

Layton has been a disaster in terms of restocks, the thing has been the game to flip on amazon/e-bay for 2-3 times RRP for a while now. If they could get 100,000 units to the UK next week they would sell them and still have demand.

Wii Music is stable, and LBP is finally climbing back up. Lips is really underperforming compared to singstar but hopefully will stay high over Xmas then after will sell really slowly.

'Urine - the Movies' (29 in the 360 chart) has seemingly flopped and completely missed the target casual audience. With it\s 58% 'average' score (lower than Wii Music's much derrided 63%) I can't see it winning much acclaim with gamers either.

nli10

cjelly said:
No wonder I can't find one. :lol

Try Argos not the cheapest but you can order and reserve online then easily pick up.

Or just go in to town on Wed/Thur when most games stores get their Friday launch games delivered. Expect them to sell up though with bundled games.

Kenka

BenjaminBirdie said:
Actually I do prefer whiskey. I thought for some reason we were staying in the draft family.

Hell, it would be one hell of a night to hang out in Stureplan and watch some football in an irish bar... crap that it's just an illusion.

Nintendo console unaffected by consumer spending slowdown as it claims historic achievement

Nintendo’s DS Lite has broken the all-time weekly sales record for hardware in the UK, MCV can reveal.

ELSPA/GFK-ChartTrack figures show that the console broke the record in week ending December 6th (week 49).

The system surpassed its own record to claim the achievement. And GFK-ChartTrack has predicted that the console could even break the milestone again before Christmas.

That is really surprising. DS doens't seem to move that much software in comparison to Wii and 360 in weekly charts still but manages to spank them hardware-wise ?

Parl

Opiate said:
Interesting, thanks Siony.

There were two competing trends for Nintendo during this recession:

1) Their hardware and software is generally the cheapest available. In harder times, cheaper things tend to do better.

2) Nintendo's hardware is generally considered the most "casual." Things that people buy casually tend to do less well in a recession than things that people care more passionately about.

It appears the former factor has significantly trumped the latter, assuming the latter has validity to begin with.
With #1, DS is cheaper than PSP, but 360 is cheaper than Wii.

Most who "care passionately" about gaming have already bought a PS3/360/Wii.

I think it's more down to Wii's and DS's higher perceived value. Before this global recession, Wii and DS were the most popular, on its outset (now), it's still the most popular and both continue to sell at a faster rate. It's pretty much how Iwata-san puts it - consumers, for instance, would buy the 3 things on the top of their wish list in a given period in good economic times, and in bad times, would be the top one, and luckily for Nintendo, that's the Wii for many people. So I guess it could actually be your latter point in that many people care passionately about getting a Wii. Despite being an over exaggerated myth, even if Wii players are relatively "casual" with the amount of time they spend gaming, most weren't casual when it came to their desire to buy a Wii, especially in the NA and UK.

Kenka said:
That is really surprising. DS doens't seem to move that much software in comparison to Wii and 360 in weekly charts still but manages to spank them hardware-wise ?

People need to own the system before they buy software for it. You only have to look at the charts to see it's still being bought predominantly for Brain Training and Nintendogs.

doicare

Frillen said:

Ironically that was one of most arrogant statements made in this thread.

Verve

I have to do some Perl stuff at work, so I thought I'd practice on something useful and do some string substitutions for the charts :)

10oh45e.png

Norway:
Week 49, 2008 - All Formatshttp://www.vg.no/spill/topp20konsoll.hbs?liste=2&uke=50&aar=2008

Consoles
01 (01) Singstar Abba (Sony)
02 (04) Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision)
03 (05) FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)
04 (03) Need For Speed: Undercover (Electronic Arts)
05 (02) Call of Duty: World at War (Activision)
06 (11) The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (Activision)
07 (__) Wii Fit (Nintendo)
08 (12) Lego Batman: The Video Game (Warner Brothers Interactive)
09 (__) Disney: Sing it (Disney Interactive)
10 (14) Crash Bandicoot: Mind over Mutant (Activision)
11 (06) Little Big Planet (Sony)
12 (__) Resistance 2 (Sony)
13 (13) Quantum of Solace: The Game (Activision)
14 (08) Mirror's Edge (Electronic Arts)
15 (__) Lips (Microsoft)
16 (15) Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (Activision)
17 (17) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
18 (10) Tomb Raider: Underworld (Eidos)
19 (09) Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)
20 (16) Shaun White Snowboarding (Ubisoft)
PC
01 (01) Football Manager 2009 (Sega)
02 (02) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (Blizzard)
03 (03) Call of Duty: World at War (Activision)
04 (04) Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (Electronic Arts)
05 (10) Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)
06 (09) The Sims 2: Byliv (Electronic Arts)
07 (06) Left 4 Dead (Valve)
08 (__) Josefine Skolehjelp: Talljakten (Pan Vision)
09 (__) Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft)
10 (__) Josefine Skolehjelp: Ordlek i luften (Pan Vision)
Handheld
01 (01) Littlest Pet Shop (DS) (Electronic Arts)
02 (02) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
03 (08) Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Nintendo)
04 (09) Josefine og Dr°mmespeilet (Pan Vision)
05 (04) Crash Bandicoot: Mind over Mutant (Activision)
06 (05) Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
07 (03) High School Musical 3: Senior Year (Disney Interactive)
08 (__) MySims Kingdom (DS) (Electronic Arts)
09 (06) FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)
10 (__) The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (Activision)

I didn't do handhelds or consoles for now.. but as you're having Norway data in older threads, I assume you have your own parsing scripts anyway (I just needed any good example to work on ^^)

EDIT: Just realized the source syntax is the same for PC and handheld pages, so they're all in my post now.

spwolf

Parl said:
With #1, DS is cheaper than PSP, but 360 is cheaper than Wii.

Most who "care passionately" about gaming have already bought a PS3/360/Wii.

I think it's more down to Wii's and DS's higher perceived value. Before this global recession, Wii and DS were the most popular, on its outset (now), it's still the most popular and both continue to sell at a faster rate. It's pretty much how Iwata-san puts it - consumers, for instance, would buy the 3 things on the top of their wish list in a given period in good economic times, and in bad times, would be the top one, and luckily for Nintendo, that's the Wii for many people. So I guess it could actually be your latter point in that many people care passionately about getting a Wii. Despite being an over exaggerated myth, even if Wii players are relatively "casual" with the amount of time they spend gaming, most weren't casual when it came to their desire to buy a Wii, especially in the NA and UK.

Wii is cool, Wii is hot... helps to be cheaper than competitors too (except for arcade)... but Wii sells a lot bundled with games too, so it is far from it being hot because of the price. Maybe that was true year ago but it is not anymore. A lot of people would buy and have probably bought (bundles) Wii for more than what people pay for 360/PS3.

Same goes for DS - it is completly different audience than PSP. I got one for my wife, and she lots her Nintendogs and Cooking Mama. She thinks PSP is cool, just for her DS is fun fun.

There is nothing wrong with catering to casuals (look at the sales) so dont take it as insult :).

Parl

spwolf said:
Wii is cool, Wii is hot... helps to be cheaper than competitors too (except for arcade)... but Wii sells a lot bundled with games too, so it is far from it being hot because of the price. Maybe that was true year ago but it is not anymore. A lot of people would buy and have probably bought (bundles) Wii for more than what people pay for 360/PS3.

Same goes for DS - it is completly different audience than PSP. I got one for my wife, and she lots her Nintendogs and Cooking Mama. She thinks PSP is cool, just for her DS is fun fun.

There is nothing wrong with catering to casuals (look at the sales) so dont take it as insult :).
By 'not being casual in their desire to buy a Wii', I mean that they don't just think "Hey, I wouldn't mind one of those. Might get one, dunno", but it's more "That's looks lots of fun, I really want one".

I'm not talking about them being a "casual" gamer. Either way, didn't we get information a while ago that Wii owners play games often?

Verve said:
I have to do some Perl stuff at work, so I thought I'd practice on something useful and do some string substitutions for the charts :)

I didn't do handhelds or consoles for now.. but as you're having Norway data in older threads, I assume you have your own parsing scripts anyway (I just needed any good example to work on ^^)

EDIT: Just realized the source syntax is the same for PC and handheld pages, so they're all in my post now.
I don't know whether anyone else has parsing scripts, but I have been fomatting them manually. If you can parse Norway charts or whatever charts you can each week, it'd be of great help.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
Sony's own market research revealed that 13-17 year old boys were the strongest demographic for PSP. DS appeals strongly to virtually all demographics, that's why it's so successful.

Verve

BishopLamont said:
I don't know whether anyone else has parsing scripts, but I have been fomatting them manually. If you can parse Norway charts or whatever charts you can each week, it'd be of great help.

As long as the source is the same and has the same source html syntax, I already have everything I need and would be glad to help you :)

Top Bottom