• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The build quality of the PS4 is horrible

Aces&Eights

Mines been working great, OP but I know what you are saying. It just feels under built in the quality parts department. Remember that whole HDMI connector port thing at launch? So, I've been super paranoid about anything breaking so I literally have not moved the unit since launch or unplugged any cables. I dust regularly as well. I've even started buying digital as to not put any wear on the disc drive or the parts that pull a disc in and eject it. I'm probably being extremely paranoid but that's just how I am. If I have something that I really, really like I handle it with kid gloves and won't even breath wrong on it.

Hope you get yours sorted out, mate. Really sucks to hear bad sounds coming from a piece of expensive electronics that you own.

On Demand

Banned
Yup. So many people say "just don't push on it" but that's besides the point really. It's a minor annoyance but it's one that shouldn't exist imo.

If it's on a completely flat surface it doesn't do that. When I have it in my TV cabinet it doesn't wobble. Looking at it right now I can see all sides are touching the surface. When I put it on my desk it wobbles and the left side and back right are suspended in the air a little if you look closely. The 3 rubber feet are in those areas, and shaped that way, for a reason. It lines up perfectly on a flat surface.

vesvci

Banned
Sony really dropped the ball here, the PS4 may be the most powerful current gen system but you wouldn't think it by looking at the console and controller. My biggest issues is with the DS4 and how the triggers creak and the analogues wear out quickly. The console itself is made with creaky plastics and the disc drive isn't smooth when it comes to inserting and ejecting a disc. I've already got a problem where when when insert a disc the machine struggles to suck the disc in. My wii u on the other hand is smooth for both. Didn't Sony invent the damn disc format? Why did they use the shittiest drive of all time on their premier console?

I like the system a lot, but it's built like garbage and Sony should have spent a few extra bucks making a more robust console and controller.

/rant

IMO the PS4's build quality is not "premium" by any means, but it is definitely above average (same goes for the DS4 as well). The whole design is fantastic, IMO. Amazing that such a small box has so many components inside.

In comparison, the XBO has an average built quality, besides the controller. Great ergonomics with the controller, but the built-quality is not the greatest.

Can't comment on the Wii U, since I've yet to use one

I don't understand why you feel this way, why don't you show us your redesign OP. Seriously, the thing crams a good amount of tech into a little package and DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING 2LB POWER BRICK. Between the PS4 and my XB1, moving the PS4 is a helluva lot easier to move if I want to bring it anywhere else in the house. Yes the XB1 is quieter, but I've never understood why you guys are playing with the sound low enough to hear the god damn system.

Edit: forgot the controller piece. I've had no issue with my controller yet, but I'm not having 3 - 6 hour play sessions. Maybe sweaty hands? I know that isn't the first I've heard of people saying the thumb sticks wear off.

Duxxy3

IMO the PS4's build quality is not "premium" by any means, but it is definitely above average (same goes for the DS4 as well). The whole design is fantastic, IMO. Amazing that such a small box has so many components inside.

In comparison, the XBO has an average built quality, besides the controller. Great ergonomics with the controller, but the built-quality is not the greatest.

Can't comment on the Wii U, since I've yet to use one

Wait, what? This would be the first report of the XB1 controller have any build quality issues.

gruenel

Why? It may not be an indication of poor build quality, but it's an indication of cutting corners (no pun) in the design phase. Should have been rectified at prototype phase imo, but it's really not much of a negative against the product as a whole. I mean it only wobbles if you push it.

Why would they have 2 ugly rubber feet visible on the top of their console (when standing vertically)?

They made it the way it is because it looks better and functionally there's no difference at all unless you're OCD and push down your console all day. That's got nothing to do with "cutting corners".

Can't believe people still think it's a flaw of some kind.

Whatever.

ronco2000

Would you rather have crappy cpu or a sturdy console? I rather have a better cpu than Sony spending money on stuff that's irrelevant. I haven't had a single issue on my PS4. Maybe take a better care of your system.

DJ_Lae

My only real complaint about the PS4 build quality is the disc drive - the mechanism for inserting and ejecting the disc sounds like it was manufactured from the cheapest parts imagineable. Compared to my One or WiiU (or even Wii) it sounds like it's dying every time a disc goes in or out. Though to be fair, my PS3 slim also seems to have a really shitty drive mechanism.

Wait, what? This would be the first report of the XB1 controller have any build quality issues.

My white One controller has an issue with the top shell - came loose, I had to break the warranty seal to tighten it up. Still doesn't fit quite right as you can push it in slightly near the port at the bottom..

Audioboxer

I don't understand why you feel this way, why don't you show us your redesign OP. Seriously, the thing crams a good amount of tech into a little package and DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING 2LB POWER BRICK. Between the PS4 and my XB1, moving the PS4 is a helluva lot easier to move if I want to bring it anywhere else in the house. Yes the XB1 is quieter, but I've never understood why you guys are playing with the sound low enough to hear the god damn system.

Edit: forgot the controller piece. I've had no issue with my controller yet, but I'm not having 3 - 6 hour play sessions. Maybe sweaty hands? I know that isn't the first I've heard of people saying the thumb sticks wear off.

There's just something satisfying for many about having a quiet system, and the need is fueled on by others saying there's is whisper quiet.

As for the controllers, there was 100% a production issue that was fixed. Good friend of mine who works for Sony answered a few questions about it for me at the Eurogamer Expo. Not to do with building cheap, there was an issue with the moulds on the production line and batches of controllers were made that did indeed crumble. Fixed fairly quickly, Sony will replace crumbling controllers apparently, and most consoles that shipped earlier this year will already be fixed.

A bit more info, he said they stopped manufacturing the coloured controllers for a short while to narrow down where the issue was, and then apparently "installed" some new test on the production lines to make sure the moulds were sorted for further production. Also just because you have a day 1 or 2013 controller doesn't mean yours will crumble. As it was down to production line faults and not design flaws most of the controllers from day 1 will be okay.

After seeing the ifixt teardown i think the build quality and component layout is wonderful. Its ingenious how they got everything in there including the power brick

Bgamer90

Banned
Lots of people confusing design and build quality in this thread. Kind of funny.

Yep.

Would you rather have crappy cpu or a sturdy console? I rather have a better cpu than Sony spending money on stuff that's irrelevant. I haven't had a single issue on my PS4. Maybe take a better care of your system.

Heh, I remember people saying the same in terms of the Xbox 360 issues/RROD. Memories.

I feel the same. I think the Xbox controller feels cheaper than the DS4. Not sure why, but the analogs feel so clicky. My hand just dry slides all over the controller. I think the thing that gives it the edge is just that its very solid. Like when you drop it...it doesn't feel like it would break. The DS4 is the opposite but the overall feel of it, feels much better imo.

There's just something satisfying for many about having a quiet system, and the need is fueled on by others saying there's is whisper quiet.

As for the controllers, there was 100% a production issue that was fixed. Good friend of mine who works for Sony answered a few questions about it for me at the Eurogamer Expo. Not to do with building cheap, there was an issue with the moulds on the production line and batches of controllers were made that did indeed crumble. Fixed fairly quickly, Sony will replace crumbling controllers apparently, and most consoles that shipped earlier this year will already be fixed.
I can respect that, I just don't think it's as loud as people make it out to be. I've never been playing a game and thought "Wow you sure are loud PS4". As for the Xbox it makes sense that they focused on cooling this generation with the RROD debacle. IMO both systems have their strengths and weaknesses, but this is a little sensationalist to say that the build quality is "Horrible". Show me an engineer saying it's horrible and then let's talk (not you audioboxer :p)

Flambe

Eh I've been packing mine with me on 2+ airplane trips a month since I've had it and it has held up beautifully. Was worried baggage handling would cause problems as my flights usually have two to three connections as well.

Controller hasn't had squeaky issue either and I play a lot of shooters.

Anecdotal of course but I'm happy with mine =)

Audioboxer

I can respect that, I just don't think it's as loud as people make it out to be. I've never been playing a game and thought "Wow you sure are loud PS4". As for the Xbox it makes sense that they focused on cooling this generation with the RROD debacle. IMO both systems have their strengths and weaknesses, but this is a little sensationalist to say that the build quality is "Horrible". Show me an engineer saying it's horrible and then let's talk (not you audioboxer :p)

Any engineer viewing the PS4 will probably say it's a masterclass. Fitting everything into a box the size Sony have, and with an internal powerbrick is undeniably impressive. Having confidence that you won't end up with some sort of RROD, or in Sony's case YLOD speaks for itself.

I think most people are criticizing the materials used. Sure they're not aluminum, high end plastics or real wood. However as my first post in the topic said cuts had to be made somewhere to give us the most powerful hardware of the 3 console makers at what was originally a lower price than MS.

A PS3 era Sony (Playstation) bleeding money is not good for anyone. So chalk me up on the power & reliability side over premium materials.

vesvci

Banned

eh? seriously? my 2 week-old white XBO controller just started creaking on the right side.

I can't play without hearing *creak* *creak*...

DrZeus

Are the ds4 sticks still having those issues with the rubber coming off or was that just launch window consoles? I'm getting a ps4 next week and am just curious. Might grab some pads for the sticks for protection.

Aces&Eights

I don't think OP is bullying the actual design of the system. I think he is saying the parts used, I.E. quality of plastic appears to be of a lesser grade than previous systems. Mine works great but it def feels less "sturdy" than, say, my OG ps3. That thing was a tank. You could bump it, move it, kick it and it ran like a champ.

It's not surprising. This is where we are moving towards in mass production. I remember that my parents bought a fridge back when I was really young. The thing is still in my mom's house and working. I'm talking 30 some odd years and it had never broken. I have gone through 2 separate ones in the last 10 years. The water intakes are no longer stainless steel, rather plastic and my last one busted a leak after 3 years and flooded my kitchen. Things are made as cheap as possible to keep costs down and I get it. That is why I buy a replacement plan for everything. I'm almost hoping that my ps4 falters in the next 6-12 months so I can go get a brand new one before my warranty expires.

Audioboxer

Are the ds4 sticks still having those issues with the rubber coming off or was that just launch window consoles? I'm getting a ps4 next week and am just curious. Might grab some pads for the sticks for protection.

I posted a tidbit about those above - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140089021&postcount=317

While a post on the internet from someone saying they know someone who told them something is usually frowned upon it's someone I've known for years. If you check my GAF post history I never post anything about knowing anything substantial either. In other words the one or two times I have posted (PS4 controller issues/PS4 Pulse USB headset issues), I know it's from someone I can trust.

I wasn't expecting this thread yet. At least, not until a new revision that promises to fix most issues is announced.

But I guess not too many people is ready to admit how ugly it is until that new revision arrives.

On Demand

Banned

A bit more info, he said they stopped manufacturing the coloured controllers for a short while to narrow down where the issue was, and then apparently "installed" some new test on the production lines to make sure the moulds were sorted for further production. Also just because you have a day 1 or 2013 controller doesn't mean yours will crumble. As it was down to production line faults and not design flaws most of the controllers from day 1 will be okay.

Good info.

Audioboxer

How do you guys dust the glossy part without scratching? I've just left that specific section dusty for the past year lol

It scratches if you look at it. That is the one part of the material design I really dislike. Wish it was all matte like the first PS3 slim.

IMO I'd use air to clean it. As in blow really hard or a can of compressed air. As for fingerprints, just try and avoid them. Any sort of rubbing of the surface just seems to scratch it (dust particles are probably strong enough to scratch it).

You could try using a glasses lens cloth, but I guarantee it'll still scratch.

Dysun

The console is fine but there is no denying the controller is lacking. My triggers broke and sticks wore out within the first 9 months

Curufinwe

At least in the past, developers had the sense to avoid the L2/R2 buttons. Now that they, for some reason, think they are good, they use them as primary buttons.

Sony still has the worst triggers on the market. They were better off with analog face buttons, and digital shoulder buttons.

My wife and I both used R2 thousands of times in D3 on PS4 with no problems.

vesvci

Banned

PS4 CPU? That's a thing now? I guess Ubisoft rolled the whole "PS4 bad CPU" PR and see where it led. Amazing what propaganda and PR can do.

"By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise."

Sony really dropped the ball here, the PS4 may be the most powerful current gen system but you wouldn't think it by looking at the console and controller. My biggest issues is with the DS4 and how the triggers creak and the analogues wear out quickly. The console itself is made with creaky plastics and the disc drive isn't smooth when it comes to inserting and ejecting a disc. I've already got a problem where when when insert a disc the machine struggles to suck the disc in. My wii u on the other hand is smooth for both. Didn't Sony invent the damn disc format? Why did they use the shittiest drive of all time on their premier console?

I like the system a lot, but it's built like garbage and Sony should have spent a few extra bucks making a more robust console and controller.

/rant

You are factually correct. Objectively, this thing has a cheaper FEEL than my Sony Blu-Ray players, for example. It also feels cheaper than my OG PS3 by a large margin and even somewhat cheaper than my PS3 slim. On the plus side, the DS4 definitely has better build quality than the garbage DS3.

That said, I personally haven't experienced any durability problems yet, at least partially because my PS4 mainly gathers dust (backlog on 360, PS3 + Xbone are holding my interest much more lately).

I think there's some confusion in here between "design" and "build quality". The PS4 design is awesome, it really is a marvel in that regard. Build quality, not so much. The Xbone is the exact opposite...the design is half-baked and lazy, but the build quality feels much more solid.

I've had too controls since launch and the triggers and sticks are fine. I don't know what else to say other than I have no complaints.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Microfiber cloth. Don't rub it either. Dust will still scratch it. Just glide over it.

I hate glossy products.

It scratches if you look at it. That is the one part of the material design I really dislike. Wish it was all matte like the first PS3 slim.

IMO I'd use air to clean it. As in blow really hard or a can of compressed air. As for fingerprints, just try and avoid them. Any sort of rubbing of the surface just seems to scratch it (dust particles are probably strong enough to scratch it).

You could try using a glasses lens cloth, but I guarantee it'll still scratch.

Yeah I try to blow on it but blowing on it hard usually results in me spitting on it a little. Lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I wasn't expecting this thread yet. At least, not until a new revision that promises to fix most issues is announced.

But I guess not too many people is ready to admit how ugly it is until that new revision arrives.

My PS4 is one of the slickest looking pieces of tech on my entertainment center.

I wonder what the op does with his ps4 to have the opinion he has now.
I hardly ever touch my ps4 physicly because i turn it on with the controller.
When i swap a disk it feels sturdy and really good.
What does a console of 400 dollar/euro has to do more. Its cool quiet and solid. Its also has an build in psu and still compact and really nice design.
The controller same never had any problems sturdy build nice looks and lays extremely well in the hand.

My PS4 is one of the slickest looking pieces of tech on my entertainment center.

Aesthetic appeal is subjective to be sure, but I agree...in terms of looks and design the PS4 is very well done.

I just wish they hadn't cheaped out on the build quality.

Wasp

The DualShock 4 has amazing build quality compared to the Xbox One controller.

The XBO controller feels a lot cheaper, it rattles when it's shook or vibrates and the face buttons clack when they're pressed, whereas the DS4 doesn't.

Top Bottom