• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid tracker recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturmdogg

So my 4 y.o. son was running around the mall's hallway like it's his big personal playroom. I lost track of him for a couple of seconds, and I was about to panic and run like hell to where I last saw him when he pops out behind a display he was hiding behind to scare me.

And he succeeded. Almost had a heart attack.

Having scared the bejesus out of me, I started to wonder if there was a way to have something like a keyfinder on him that will send out an alarm if i lost track of him. Something along the lines of, if I press a button, a gadget on his person would start making a racket loud enough to wake the dead to make it easy for me to find him. Or a heartbeat monitor like in COD. Any recommendations?

quickwhips

He is your kid put the phone down and pay attention to him?
No trying to be a dick but I know it sounds like it. Just there are creepy people out there and you need to watch him.

I was kept on a leash. I dunno if ppl still do that though.

First thing that came to mind.

pHAIvNC.jpg

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I just have the NSA on speed dial, they know everything.

Seriously though, watch your kid and teach him to stay with you at all times.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Something along the lines of, if I press a button, a gadget on his person would start making a racket loud enough to wake the dead to make it easy for me to find him.

Maybe a shock collar to go with the leash?

Askani

No trying to be a dick but I know it sounds like it. Just there are creepy people out there and you need to watch him.

You may not be trying to sound like a dick, but you do.

I lost a kid at a mall once and it was horrible. We had just rode the carousel and went to the play are next to it that has 1 exit. I set her down inside and took her shoes off, walked out, to the side area to look in, and she was gone. I immediately went into full search mode asking everyone if they had seen her. Turns out she walked out directly behind me and back to the carousel and the operator picked her up. Shit happens. You can't plan for everything.

DJ_Lae

I see kids on leashes occasionally...okay, maybe less often than that. It looks ridiculous.

I'm lucky in that both my daughters don't generally wander very far when we're in an unfamiliar place, although apparently when I was younger I was great but my sister would just take a fucking beeline for freedom every chance she got. I think it's just a personality thing.

I would sooner put my keychain beeper on them than use a leash, though.

Have a conversation with him about the dangers of running off alone. Communication is going to be more helpful than some stupid gadget or leash.

Implement some type of reward/punishment system and make sure he knows exactly what gets him a reward and what gets him punished.

sturmdogg

No I wasn't on my phone, I was walking behind him and kept (or so I thought) a tight watch on him.

Maybe a shock collar to go with the leash?
I'm saving this for when he gets older and starts to talk back to me.

Ecto311

I don't know for small areas but there are GPS trackers for kids though. I use my eyes on my 5yr old daughter and that works for most situations. Come on man.

My parents bought a leash for my son when he was like 2 or 3, but I told them I didn't like them using it. They're defense was that they're older and can't necessarily run around to chase him if he takes off. I still don't like it.

Anyway, to the people in here saying, "Duh, just watch your kid." - you obviously don't have kids. Those little bastards can disappear in a second. They're like little Houdinis.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My parents bought a leash for my son when he was like 2 or 3, but I told them I didn't like them using it. They're defense was that they're older and can't necessarily run around to chase him if he takes off. I still don't like it.

Anyway, to the people in here saying, "Duh, just watch your kid." - you obviously don't have kids. Those little bastards can disappear in a second. They're like little Houdinis.
I'm posting this with my 3yr old in my lap.LOL

You can watch your kids. You can teach them to stay with you in crowds. My daughter was taught to hold hands in public places with crowds, like a mall. My nephew the same. Maybe it's the gene pool of awesome that's working here, but I like to think that the parenting skills of us are somehow also responsible.

Its not really a leash, there are backpacks with Spongebob/Dora or whatever that tie up to a grownups hand. Kids can be lost pretty easily.

Don't let the name throw you Jimmy. It's not really a floor, it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported!

lisathevegetarian4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom