• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Whats AUSGaf's opinion on netbooks? I'm looking at getting one but cant decide between them or a regular laptop. Will be using it for web surfing, game emu and word processing.

Puck

Banned
i'm in a similar situation.
i think it depends mostly on where you are going to take it.
i'm starting my 3rd / final year of uni this year, and i'm looking at a 1000h netbook. my friend had one last semester and it was good for him, browsed the net during lectures and took down notes and stuff easily. battery life was good too (~4-6 hours, my sister got a [full size] laptop and the default battery only lasts 3 hours max).
i think i will end up getting a 1000h.

wp is quite useful (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=130), especially this thread (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1085942)

CryptiK

I just found out something shocking!

there is no Spyro the Dragon on AusPSN

WHY AND WTF IS THIS!

Do PS1 games work on any type of PS3? I might have to go hunting for a hard copy >.> its going to be hard to find one that isn't scratched to hell.

Tntnnbltn

CryptiK said:
I just found out something shocking!

there is no Spyro the Dragon on AusPSN

WHY AND WTF IS THIS!

Do PS1 games work on any type of PS3? I might have to go hunting for a hard copy >.> its going to be hard to find one that isn't scratched to hell.
Spyro the Dragon was never released on any PAL store.

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! was released on July 26, 2007 in PAL regions. It was later pulled from the store along with MediEvil and Crash Bandicoot 2 because of game-breaking bugs.

PS1 backwards compatibility is present in all PS3 consoles. PS1 discs are region-locked, but PS Classics from the PSN store are not.

CryptiK

Thanks I'm gunna drop by a game shop tomorrow see if they have the Spyro Games. One of my Favorite PS games :D They better not cost to much.

Thanks for the help Tntnnbltn

Tntnnbltn

CryptiK said:
Thanks I'm gunna drop by a game shop tomorrow see if they have the Spyro Games. One of my Favorite PS games :D They better not cost to much.
If you had a US account and method of adding funds, you could just purchase Spyro the Dragon from the US PSN store. Sadly Entropay can no longer be added to new US accounts.

Tntnnbltn

2DMention said:
I'm glad I live in the U.S.
If this is in relation to the previous PS Classic discussions, you should know that Europe/Australia have more PS Classics than the US store. It's also easier for people in Europe to add funds to Japanese and US accounts than vice versa. So yeah, we kind of win that one. :p

CryptiK

Well the trip to the game shop today failed. Not one Spyro game could be found anybody else got any ideas? DO NOT say ebay people on there are over pricing bastards.

Mar

Fix The Scientist said:
How can i get Fallout 3 cheap? Will JB take PS2 games?

I just bought it too. Didn't try and get a cheaper one other than the $99 price at JB. I can't believe this game is so expensive. It's $120 everywhere else. Fuck that.

caromelo

I wonder if many people on AusGAF still check out the ol' HYPER Magazine. I haven't read it regularly in awhile now but I came across this while browsing Kotaku which is really interesting.

The 2008 Game of the Year Awards are off to a solid start, with numerous votes being cast for a wide range of games. Many of you are voting and participating in the spirit in which the awards are offered, and for that we thank you. However, we ask others who are voting in an opposing manner to please rethink their actions.

As an example, we can appreciate a game publisher's allegiance towards one of its titles, but would prefer it if an account using an "@eidos.co.uk" e-mail address would not vote for one of its own games across a number of different categories.

We realise that such motivations do not apply to the lion's share of members and participants, but nevertheless, we do need to make it clear that we will not accept such a practice. We would like to see games win honestly, voted for by honest people.

http://www.hyper.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=17348

Shaneus

Hyper was never Mean Machines Sega... there was Megazone and Hyper which were the main ones I read (although, only had a handful of MZ) and Hyper was its own mag on Next Publishing. I have pretty much all the early Hyper mags from #1 to (I think) #200. The early days of that mag were fucking fantastic. I miss it terribly :(

I'm going to Australia (Melbourne/Sydney/Cairns) and NZ in a week.
I may buy a DS Lite (I'm still with the Phat) since it costs pretty much the same as in the US and have some questions...

Is it cheaper in Aus or NZ? I know it's AUD200, but have no idea of the price in NZ.
Where should I buy it? Most important thing is they let me exchange it if it has dead pixels.
Any good deals?
Soul Bubbles & Chibi Robo Park Patrol -> Are these games easy to find?
Fat cases (EU) or normal (NA/JP)?

Thanks in advance.

Fredescu

Allan Holdsworth said:
Is it cheaper in Aus or NZ? I know it's AUD200, but have no idea of the price in NZ.
Not sure, but I do know that Nintendo distribution in NZ is notoriously poor, so it may be harder to find. I don't know if the situation has improved. The DS is fairly ubiquitous in Aus.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Where should I buy it? Most important thing is they let me exchange it if it has dead pixels.
Any good deals?
JB Hi-Fi is considered to be the best retailer for gaming in general, but keep an eye on http://www.ecogamer.com/ for catalog deals. $188 + a game is the standard sort of deal. Toys R Us often have the best bundles, but you usually have to go to a store to find out what they are

I'd be fairly suprised if any retailer knocked you back on a replacement for dead pixels, but I've had no first hand experience of that.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Soul Bubbles no. I don't even think it's out here yet. If it is I haven't seen it and I visit game retailers far more often than is healthy. Chibi Robo, yes. If you get anywhere near a KMart, which if you're here for a holiday you probably won't, they have it on their clearance list. You should pay about $30AU. Otherwise JB or EB should have it for around the $50AU mark.

Allan Holdsworth said:
We actually get both, but the normal ones are more common.

rass

Allan Holdsworth said:
I'm going to Australia (Melbourne/Sydney/Cairns) and NZ in a week.
I may buy a DS Lite (I'm still with the Phat) since it costs pretty much the same as in the US and have some questions...

Any good deals?

Thanks in advance.
where are you flying into?
I picked up a DS lite at Sydney airport duty free shop for AU$170 about a month ago on the way back from holidays. It came with nintendogs, which is still in its plastic wrap haha.

I didnt get dead pixels but if so i dont think i could have exchanged it, risk i was willing to take. Im not familiar with Soul Bubbles but have seen copies of Chibi Robo Park Patrol on store shelves (before christmas) in Melbourne.
check out ecogamer.com -> they always have links to the latest aus catalogues and deals

enjoy your stay! NZ is a beautiful country too

edit:
Fredescu said:
in depth answers
well colour me beaten

Tntnnbltn

Old? Edited version of Silent Hill Homecoming has been classified.

wu1c8l.png

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
does anyone know if that Sanity PS3 $10 controller deal is still going? i assume it's finished but double checking.. can't finda nything about it on their site

Rlan

They're adding .99 and .98 to a lot of their stuff too. They used to be one of the few places which would keep a straight number (like $79). Totally screws up the look of their magazine now.

higher prices makes me sad. $104.98 for MGS4?

saunderez

$115 for Fallout 3!!!

Are they fucking high!?!?!?!

DVDCrave is selling it for $73

JB has now joined the ranks of "places I will never shop for games" alongside Harvey Norman and EB.

Ollie Pooch

-Winnie- said:
What is this? O_O

sanity/hmv have (had?) a deal where if you buy a chart game for ps3, you can get a dualshock 3 controller for $10.

i stupidly ignored it for a while and now i fear it's over... dammit!

Kujo

Fredescu said:
The irony is the new Harvey Norman catalog has a couple of decent prices in it.
Yeah, it's a role reversal:

Farcry 2 JB: $104.98
Farcry 2 HN: $63

Quantum of Solace JB: $104.98
Quantum of Solace HN: $68

-Winnie-

julls said:
sanity/hmv have (had?) a deal where if you buy a chart game for ps3, you can get a dualshock 3 controller for $10.

i stupidly ignored it for a while and now i fear it's over... dammit!

Damn... sounds like it was a great deal. :<
I never even knew that Sanity sold games until a few weeks ago.

Ollie Pooch

-Winnie- said:
Damn... sounds like it was a great deal. :<
I never even knew that Sanity sold games until a few weeks ago.

theyre pretty pricey, though seeing the new JB prices they don't seem so bad anymore, that deal was killer, i'll check this week to see if its still on, just in case :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, and they were just going to open a JB here.

I wanted the good prices. :'(

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I told you guys months ago that JB would hit hard times, and no you didn't listen to me >_>

legend166

Wonder if that rumour about JB being in trouble was true.

Anyway, I just bought something from them. Blu-Ray's are so expensive : ( $40 for Wall-e. I wouldn't pay that much for any other movie.

markot

Banned
Im a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad panda >_< JB was the only place that didnt suck.

Guess I have to buy them all online now to get decent prices...

Fredescu

They haven't hit times any more or less hard than other retailers though. Their stock price has been very stubborn. I think they were just running very tight margins on games and able to do so because they were selling a certain volume. That volume has probably dried up so they need higher margins.

Also, I seem to remember that JB initially had only new releases at $79 and after the first shipment sold the next ones sold for $99. I'll wait and see what brand new releases sell for before passing total judgement, but it's not looking great.

Ollie Pooch

markot said:
Im a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad panda >_< JB was the only place that didnt suck.

Guess I have to buy them all online now to get decent prices...

even with the aussie dollar whre it is atm, its cheaper to get stuff from play-asia, which wasnt normally the case... (well, for region free ps3 stuff :D)

there's always cdwow and dvdcrave now :(

markot

Banned
Yeah, the Aussie dollar is getting stronger ^_^ kicks ass. Games on steam are cheaper too now.

Also, side note.

Where the hell is club Nintendo >_>

-Winnie-

legend166 said:
Wonder if that rumour about JB being in trouble was true.

Anyway, I just bought something from them. Blu-Ray's are so expensive : ( $40 for Wall-e. I wouldn't pay that much for any other movie.

Wait, Wall-E is already out? I thought it comes out tomorrow. :/
And on that note, where's the cheapest place I can get the Blu-Ray tomorrow? :0

legend166

It's at JB today and my sister saw the DVD at Coles yesterday.

I've looked online for the Blu-Ray, and I doubt you'll get it cheaper than $40. Dammit, I remember when DVDs used to cost this much. It sucked.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
markot said:
Where the hell is club Nintendo >_>

:lol :lol

I asked Nintendo, they won't email me back again after I asked last year.

Infact I had about 15 question for them in an Interview, ones that they could actually answer not dumb shit like "can has moar zelda". But nope nothing back on that either.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
-Winnie- said:
Wait, Wall-E is already out? I thought it comes out tomorrow. :/
And on that note, where's the cheapest place I can get the Blu-Ray tomorrow? :0
I bought Wall-E yesterday at Woolies of all places :lol Grabbing a couple of items, see it in the express lane and said what the hell.

Rlan

VOOK said:
:lol :lol

I asked Nintendo, they won't email me back again after I asked last year.

Infact I had about 15 question for them in an Interview, ones that they could actually answer not dumb shit like "can has moar zelda". But nope nothing back on that either.

Actual journalism is fucking hard. They love to ignore you :(

I've e-mailed about 4 places for an interview, they've said they'll do them, and once I send off the questions they don't respond :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom