• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:
Actual journalism is fucking hard. They love to ignore you :(

I've e-mailed about 4 places for an interview, they've said they'll do them, and once I send off the questions they don't respond :\

Yeah I get that a lot, the local guys seem to be more open to it (Blue Tounge for example -deBlob) but had like with the likes of 5th Cell.

You'd think though Nintendo Australia though, would want to open some sort of dialogue - but yeah seems not.

One question I asked them, which might be worth bringing up here for discussion was something like "Now the Wii and DS have a crazy big userbase, where are the local content games like V8 Supercars, AFL, Cricket" etc. Of course I asked it way better in the actual sheet though. PS2 had them - why not Wii? Nintendo should be on the front foot for getting some of those types of games, or maybe they don't care enough.

pilonv1

Fredescu said:
Also, I seem to remember that JB initially had only new releases at $79 and after the first shipment sold the next ones sold for $99. I'll wait and see what brand new releases sell for before passing total judgement, but it's not looking great.

Yeah I've got a feeling that since this is a traditional slow period there's no point cutting your margin fine when you don't need to. If they're still doing this in Feb & March I'll be surprised. I think they just realised you can't be having razor thin margins on everything.

Has anyone checked other categories JB has been good with before (ie LCD/Plasma) to see if their pricing has changed?

Rlan said:
I've e-mailed about 4 places for an interview, they've said they'll do them, and once I send off the questions they don't respond :\

ill do one

legend166

vook, an AFL game on Wii with PES controls is my dream. It would pretty much be perfect.

Also, cricket with MotionPlus + Balance Board. amazing.

AMAZING.

Fredescu

I've decided that if I win $10 million I will fund the development of a kick ass motion+ cricket game that will never make it's money back but who cares. I don't buy lottery tickets though so it's not a very good plan at the moment.

Stryder

VOOK said:
One question I asked them, which might be worth bringing up here for discussion was something like "Now the Wii and DS have a crazy big userbase, where are the local content games like V8 Supercars, AFL, Cricket" etc. Of course I asked it way better in the actual sheet though. PS2 had them - why not Wii? Nintendo should be on the front foot for getting some of those types of games, or maybe they don't care enough.
Why would Nintendo want these sort of games? They aren't going to develop them themselves, so long as they are getting systems out the door they really don't care.

It's really a good opportunity for a developer/publisher to leap onto, not a first-party company like Nintendo.

From what I hear there is a certain development house which have secured the license from the AFL for a lengthy period, and are now underway on developing a new AFL game. Not sure which platforms, it might even be 360/PS3.

Tntnnbltn

VOOK said:
Sounds logical. I don't think Transmission Games (formerly IR Gurus) would be willing to make the jump to HD hardware.

legend166

Fredescu said:
I've decided that if I win $10 million I will fund the development of a kick ass motion+ cricket game that will never make it's money back but who cares. I don't buy lottery tickets though so it's not a very good plan at the moment.

Aussie Rules game with PES Wii controls. IT WOULD BE SO GOOD.

HOLY CRAP I WANT IT.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Stryder said:
Why would Nintendo want these sort of games? They aren't going to develop them themselves, so long as they are getting systems out the door they really don't care.

It's really a good opportunity for a developer/publisher to leap onto, not a first-party company like Nintendo.

From what I hear there is a certain development house which have secured the license from the AFL for a lengthy period, and are now underway on developing a new AFL game. Not sure which platforms, it might even be 360/PS3.

Of course Nintendo are not going to develop it themselves, but unless Nintendo push for it no one is going to make it on the Wii, hell it will probably end up on the PS2 still. If you know something spill - last I heard Sony let the AFL licence lapse.

Tntnnbltn said:
Sounds logical. I don't think Transmission Games (formerly IR Gurus) would be willing to make the jump to HD hardware.

They must be doing something at the moment though...

pilonv1 said:
:lol prepared for a 90 minute transcript of how awesome football manager 2009 and defense grid is?

I'd rather not :p

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Aussie Rules game with PES Wii controls. IT WOULD BE SO GOOD.

HOLY CRAP I WANT IT.
If you were motivated enough you could probably whip something like that up on PC using the mouse and sprites.

Tntnnbltn

VOOK said:
They must be doing something at the moment though...
One of the releases on their site is called "Secret Stuff".

Title: TBA
Publisher: ??
Platform: ??
Release date: ??
Description: Secret Squirrel Stuff

Links to Rotorheadgame.com, which only has a big "Please click here" link to the password protected http://www.rotorheadgame.com/tony4/intro.php

Question is... is it Secret PS3 game or Secret Wii Game?!

Also, scratch what I said about not being willing to make the jump to HD.
Today Transmission Games continues to break new ground. Already developing a number of next-generation titles, on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii, the company is exploiting the hardware capabilities of each unit to guarantee a rich gaming experience on all of its products.
We are seeking a Senior Environment Artist to join Transmission Games. We are currently working on three next gen (PS3, XBox360) titles, in the sports, flight and action genres.

caromelo said:
I wonder if many people on AusGAF still check out the ol' HYPER Magazine. I haven't read it regularly in awhile now but I came across this while browsing Kotaku which is really interesting.
Long time Hyper reader here... Read the first issue and sent in subscription page from the first issue, non stop subscriber until 2002, then moved overseas, and came back 1-1/2 years ago and resubscribed again. I also subscribe to EGM (only cost me about $30AUD for a year) but now they've just made their last issue and I had about 6 issues to go!

VOOK said:
I imagine when consoles start making heavy inroads into the indian population we'll see a few more cricket games.

Puck

Banned
Anyone subscribed to any magazines still?
I got a subscription for EGM in April last year.... 12 months :(.

Now looking for something else. I listen to 5-6 podcasts / week, but still like some physical stuff.

I've looked at Hyper and it doesn't look very good. Edge seems to be great though. However, edge prices seem to be fucking stupid to get them here. I think it was like $220 for a 12 month subscription..

Johnkers

PARANO1A said:

I know I shouldn't but it makes me tempted. I might have to sell off my Soul Calibur 4 to fund it, I barely play fighting games as it is.

untoldhero said:
Anyone know if this TV http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=2794 would allow me to plug in a PS3? I'm confused because it says composite in one area but not the other.

I'm getting a link to an air conditioner :lol

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Tntnnbltn said:
Also, scratch what I said about not being willing to make the jump to HD.

Their first HD game, Heroes Over Europe, is actually releasing in the next couple of months through Red Mile/Atari.

Tntnnbltn

Mario said:
Their first HD game, Heroes Over Europe, is actually releasing in the next couple of months through Red Mile/Atari.
Yeah, saw that after I'd already posted. Haven't been keeping up with much third-party stuff recently.

Quasar

Puck said:
Anyone subscribed to any magazines still?
I got a subscription for EGM in April last year.... 12 months :(.

Can't say I ever subscribed to any magazine (gaming or not). I made do with local newsagents.

As for Hyper, I occasionally browse a library copy, but that's about it. The net killed gaming magazines for me years ago. The last mag I bought with any regularity was Edge, and that really was just in the early days of edge. the first couple of dozen issues.

pilonv1

Mario said:
I guess Funtastic might be the distributor in Aussie. Atari is the publisher everywhere else AFAIK.

No you're right - it's Atari here (or at least that seems to be the case). Just strange cause Funtastic did some Red Mile stuff last year.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
pilonv1 said:
No you're right - it's Atari here (or at least that seems to be the case). Just strange cause Funtastic did some Red Mile stuff last year.

AFAIK Red Mile cuts distribution and publishing deals on a title by title basis, so they switch around a bit depending on where they can get the best terms.

Shaneus

I think that once those smaller "fish" sell out, they replace them with others. I've seen other items appear there before one minute and go the next. Don't worry, you're not mental!

Rahk

evlcookie said:
oooh thats tempting. Although i really want the CE. Wonder if cdwow will also have that available, im guessing not.
What's in the CE?

I've never been much of a fighting game fan, but I'm tempted to get SFIV. Then I'd need to get a stick. :(

Yagharek

OFLC website has classified GTA Chinatown Wars with an MA15+ cert. Version says "original".

I must say that was unexpected given the drug-dealing aspect.

Mar

RandomVince said:
OFLC website has classified GTA Chinatown Wars with an MA15+ cert. Version says "original".

I must say that was unexpected given the drug-dealing aspect.

It's pretty typical. The AAA games get away with a lot more, and in turn allows people of the wrong age to play adult content.

Games like Silent Hill and FEAR2 though, banned straight out.

The thing that annoys me the most though, is that COD: World at War is all good to show actual murders, executions and burying people alive scenes. Yet comical violence against silly monsters in Silent Hill is too much.

Fuck our rating sheme. Right in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom