• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Oooh and while I remember, heads up to anyone looking at post-$mas sales. At EB especially.

They have marked up the prices on some games by, say $20 - and then put "$20 Off" stickers on them to make it look like a bargain.

It's the same scam they pull when they put "50% off" stickers on games that are marked as $99.95 - only when the games are Platinum or Greatest Hits etc.

So yeah, be careful of their scams.
I saw that in EB... Grid Platinum going for $99.95 :lol

Puck

Banned
Router said:
A friend got me Golden Axe - Beast Rider on 360 for Christmas... They don't know much about games. They probably went to E.B and asked "Whats the most popular game?" then the clerk pawned this atrocity off to them for $119.
Get the receipt.
You won't be much of an asshole at all. Just tell him / her that you finished the game, and that they are awesome for buying you a game. However, tell them that you can trade it in within a month for a new game that you will enjoy just as much, so basically, the friend gave you TWO games.

diss

Banned
Puck said:
Get the receipt.
You won't be much of an asshole at all. Just tell him / her that you finished the game, and that they are awesome for buying you a game. However, tell them that you can trade it in within a month for a new game that you will enjoy just as much, so basically, the friend gave you TWO games.
i'd still feel like an asshole if that's the explanation i gave them :p i'd tell them the game "doesn't work on my system" and see if they have the receipt

ps. someone at the game shop has a sick sense of humour trying to ruin someone's christmas by recommending that shit :(

Mar

Gazunta said:
Well on Christmas my wife bought me a Wii. Why? Because she's ridiculously awesome, that's why. Anyway I was looking around the Virtual Console section and discovered that the Commodore 64 games aren't available in Australia.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

I'm not complaining for myself - I think my wife would have legitimate grounds for divorce if I spent another cent re-buying games I already own several times over - I'm complaining on behalf of the 20 million Australians who are now deprived of the sheer fantasticality of playing games like International Karate +, Mayhem In Monsterland and Paradroid on their Wiis. When I think about how empty and soulless their lives will be because of this it brings me to drink (OK I'm drinking already, but still). What a horrible, cruel fate that Nintendo Australia or Commodore Gaming are inflicting upon the innocent and wonderful people of Australia.

Has anyone given a reason for this? Is there any hope?

Oh God DAMN it, Wizball is hitting Virtual Console next year apparently. THE GREATEST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME. AAAAAGH I'M SO PISSED OFF

Your pain is shared.

However, do what every other C64 fan in Australia has done. Set your console to UK, and enjoy downloading all those lovely games.

Just remember that you lose any points you currently have. When I did it I had 200 points there. I thought that was a fair sacrifice to play games like The Last Ninja.

In fact, I set my console to UK soon after C64 games were released, and it has been UK ever since. There is no reason to switch back.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Puck said:
Get the receipt.

Yeah, I'll do that... As long as they kept the receipt! :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Shaneus said:
I saw that in EB... Grid Platinum going for $99.95 :lol

Slightly related... Anyone know anything about the Australian Track/Car pack for GRiD? I thought it was supposed to be out by now. Was thinking of getting the game at the holiday sales for that DLC.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta Has anyone given a reason for this? Is there any hope? Oh God DAMN it said:
It's Nintendo Australia, No it's Nintendo Australia - Just do what Mar says and then mail your poop to Nintendo.

Gazunta

Awesome, thanks very much for the heads up Mar. I'll do that the next time I boot the machine up. The wife's been playing De Blob all day. :)

PARANO1A

Well I've spent most of Thursday through today playing The Last Remnant. A stunning JRPG (almost SRPG) that got terrible reviews but GAF steered my so very right on this one. JB are selling it for $68, which is a steal considering the amount of hours I'm getting out of it - compared to something like Dead Space or Mirror's Edge. Do itAus, GAF!

markot

Banned
I avoid EB and Game like the plague >_<

Thank God for JBhifi.

Maybe its just Canberra, but JB seems to be the only real alternative to the big gaming stores. Target, BigW and co always seem to have a really poor video game sections....

Mar

Gazunta said:
Awesome, thanks very much for the heads up Mar. I'll do that the next time I boot the machine up. The wife's been playing De Blob all day. :)

Oh, and remember you can't use Australian wii point cards if you have your console set to another region too. You have to buy wii points via the wii shop channel, and it's all in british pounds. There might be a small conversion fee on your credit card, but again, I think it's worth it.

diss

Banned
markot said:
I avoid EB and Game like the plague >_<

Thank God for JBhifi.

Maybe its just Canberra, but JB seems to be the only real alternative to the big gaming stores. Target, BigW and co always seem to have a really poor video game sections....
i'll almost always go to EB now and price match. that 7 day trial period they have has proved invaluable for many games i thought i would love, but ended up hating. maybe i should rent more games...

Puck

Banned
Oh wow.
What a good fucking day today.
Woke up -
amazon parcel sitting at my door with 2 books i ordered on the 20th (they were estimated arrival date 21st jan). still waiting on the other book that was shipped seperately, but i can't complain. it was the cheapest shipping order.

check my emails, i won $1000 and a signed cricket bat from all of the AU players from a weekly draw for master card pick n win. that shit is awesome.

had a shower, go downstairs and theres a guy waiting at the door with rock band 2 from play-asia that i ordered on the 22nd.

i played RB2 for a bit, went back downstairs and the postman dropping off crysis warhead, cod:waw and farcry 2 on pc that i got from a trading forums.

now i have no stress and so many things to do :)

legend166

Do you guys think it's safe to order something from ezydvd? They've got Ratatouille on Blu-Ray for $30. However, it's out of stock, so I dunno if they'll get any more in in their current situation.

diss

Banned
Puck said:
Oh wow.
Woke up -
amazon parcel sitting at my door with 2 books i ordered on the 20th (they were estimated arrival date 21st jan). still waiting on the other book that was shipped seperately, but i can't complain. it was the cheapest shipping order.

check my emails, i won $1000 and a signed cricket bat from all of the AU players from a weekly draw for master card pick n win. that shit is awesome.

had a shower, go downstairs and theres a guy waiting at the door with rock band 2 from play-asia that i ordered on the 22nd.

i played RB2 for a bit, went back downstairs and the postman dropping off crysis warhead, cod:waw and farcry 2 on pc that i got from a trading forums.

:O

Mohonky

Puck said:
Oh wow.
Woke up -

You got a horseshoe up your ass or something?

Rlan

Got my copy of Puzzle Quest for the DS today, awesome.

Now I've got Puzzle Quest, Viva Pianta DS, Panzer Tactics DS and Boulder Dash Rocks! to go through on DS. Stocked up for the bus trips to work next year :)

Puck: What trading forum is that?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
legend166 said:
Do you guys think it's safe to order something from ezydvd? They've got Ratatouille on Blu-Ray for $30. However, it's out of stock, so I dunno if they'll get any more in in their current situation.

are they going bust or something? i haven't had any probs with them recently - everything was shipped pretty quick. can't speak for items out of stock though, of course :p

Tntnnbltn

julls said:
are they going bust or something? i haven't had any probs with them recently - everything was shipped pretty quick. can't speak for items out of stock though, of course :p
Wow. Just did a Google News search, not having heard of any problems myself.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20081218-EzyDVD-collapses-into-receivership.html said:
EzyDVD collapses into receivership
Thursday, 18 December 2008
James Thomson

Mounting debts, a string of big losses and weak retail sales has forced entertainment retailer EzyDVD into receivership, putting the jobs of more than 200 staff at risk. [...]
http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20081219-More-details-emerge-on-EzyDVD-collapse-as-business-is-put-up-for-sale.html said:
More details emerge on EzyDVD collapse as business is put up for sale
Friday, 19 December 2008
James Thomson

The receivers of failed entertainment retailer EzyDVD have started the process of looking for a buyer for the chain and say there has already been strong interest from potential buyers. [...]
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/12/24/39791_news.html said:
DVD chain scratched
December 24th, 2008
Aleks Devic

Geelong movie buffs are out pocket after EzyDVD went bust and receivers put a block on the DVD retailer honouring gift vouchers and giving refunds on customer orders that won't be fulfilled.

At Geelong's EzyDVD there is $35,000 worth of DVD orders that are unlikely to reach customers' hands.

[...]

Mr Dorward said the projected income for December was about $300,000 but because no stock filtered through he would be lucky to take half that figure.

Mr Dorward said despite countless phone calls and emails asking EzyDVD's head office where the stock was, he had received no reply.

Maybe not the best time to order an out-of-stock item through them.

Ventron

I saw GAME in Brisbane today selling de blob for $49 (although knowing them thats probably been jb's price for a while now).

EB nearby was selling a preowned ninjabread man for the same price :lol

GaryD

Not sure if anyone has said anything yet, but Xbox 360 Arcade for $228 at BigW. Should be able to get places to price match.

Edit: read back a page and its already been mentioned. Still, it's a fucken decent price. Hopefully this may be early signs of a price cut.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
EzyDVD is dead? Fuck, I ordered stuff from them for Christmas. I'd better check that they have shipped.

Also got sick of waiting for news from playasia over the TE SFIV arcade sticks. Put my preorder down with http://www.lizardlick.com/.

Darklord

Banned
Puck said:
Oh wow.
Woke up -

3 postman in 1 day?

Puck

Banned
Yea, 2 were couriers and 1 was regular post.
Was really awesome overall though.

I was happy to pick up bishock for $5 on steam too. Great game if you haven't played it.

Shaneus

I assume that was fairly expensive shipping with RB2 from PA? I ordered Midnight Club with el cheapo shipping on the 17th and still haven't received it :(

Edit: :D

Puck

Banned
I'm in Sydney,
Shipping details
Shipping type: Air Economy Box
Tracking number: N/A
Shipping date: 22, Dec. 2008

I really wasn't expecting anything this early. I thought that the post wouldn't move on Christmas.

Fredescu

Target have Ninja Gaiden DS for $28 in their Jan 1 catalog. I was thinking, fat chance of them having it in stock, but when I went today they had at least ten, all nicely shrink wrapped. Still scanning at $63 at the moment though.

Puck

Banned
You should hide them all randomly throughout the store (hide them in the womens section, for example) and then go back when the sale starts, pick them all up and resell them.

Fredescu

Check out all the Buy It Now's on Ebay for ~$40. I think others might be doing the same :p Not worth the effort for a couple of bucks and the hiding thing doesn't work unless you happen to have a particularly lazy Target. Have a look around towards the end of a busy day and you'll see trolleys around that they use to separate all the crazy shit that doesn't belong in their department so it can go and be stacked in the correct departement for the next day. On a busy day a department store looks nice first thing in the morning and like a bomb hit by mid afternoon.

Not sure how long the deal is lasting for, but apparently you can get an Arcade + Gears 2 for $259 at JB.

So if you want an arcade and plan of getting Gears 2, then it's a better deal than the Big W one.

Gazunta

Any quick tips on where's the cheapest I can walk into a store tomorrow and pick up a HDMI cable? Tandy had one for $70, EB had one for $40...

I saw in the new GAME catalog they're selling one for $17 - any reason I should avoid it?

Rahk

Gazunta said:
Any quick tips on where's the cheapest I can walk into a store tomorrow and pick up a HDMI cable? Tandy had one for $70, EB had one for $40...

I saw in the new GAME catalog they're selling one for $17 - any reason I should avoid it?

Shops are open tomorrow?

You can get cheap, good quality cables from http://ezyhd.com.au and they have very quick shipping. I got mine the second day after I ordered.

Not sure about cheap in store cables though. There is no difference in picture quality between HDMI cables, so the one from GAME should be fine unless you're worried about build quality (which I can't make a judgement on since I haven't seen it). No point in paying those prices at Tandy or EB.

Try it and see if it works. The worst thing about the cheap cable is that it might not be the latest spec of HDMI, the ost recent being 1.3. SINCE YOU NEVER PLAY GAMES WITH SOUND ON, GAZ, YOU DON'T NEED HDMI 1.3. If you want 7.1 surround out of a PS3 and have an AV amp with HDMI in, make sure its 1.3. Earlier versions don't do much more than stereo audio.

PS- Happy new year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom