• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Rlan said:
Did see about 10 Gameboy Micros there though. I asked to get a price and they scanned at $109. Checkout chick was surprised they even had them still. Hoping I can grab one real cheap on post-boxing day.
Did you see Target are selling them for $20? Not sure how many would be left though.

Rlan

Fredescu said:
Did you see Target are selling them for $20? Not sure how many would be left though.

Yeah, nothing at Target unfortunately. I checked out most stores. Even asked EB - they were giving people a whole $1 for them the last time he was one :lol

pilonv1

Rlan said:
Went to JB and asked what deals they'll be having. The guy wasn't too sure but said they ARE having some absolutely rediculous deal for Arcade 360s. We're talking sub-200 bucks WITH Gears of War 2.

wow, thats freaking insane.

hopefully theres a nice discount on mirrors edge

Choabac

`Moe Joe. said:
Aww. They must all be sold out at every DSE now :(

http://search.dse.com.au/search?p=Q...=0&sessionid=494f4fc70518f686273fc0a87e010696

Anyway, the games listed above, from 5 - 30 dollars, are tbh - sold out. But if you can print off a game you want, EB must price match it; if they don't have new copies of the game, they'll give do it with a pre owned.

Shame Dead Rising got taken off.

They only price match it if its in stock at the place that you’re asking them to match it from.

Even then, they tend to only match the local store.

Mar

Rlan said:
Went to JB and asked what deals they'll be having. The guy wasn't too sure but said they ARE having some absolutely rediculous deal for Arcade 360s. We're talking sub-200 bucks WITH Gears of War 2.

Really? Jesus. I might pick one up as a spare. I don't even like Gears, but that's a deal that's hard to pass up.

diss

Banned
nertz. i couldn't find a gameboy micro anywhere. kind of funny how all the shops have been nearly picked clean of every decent older game

Rlan

Those of you who were big GET THIS fans, Tony Martin and Ed Kavalee (and Matty D) all got back together for a Richard Marsland remembrance.

It's an hour and 15 minutes of laughs and clips, along with Tony and Ed chatting about Marsland.

Look up "Marsland" in your iTunes store for it. It's like the show was back on the air again :(

Rlan

From Ecogamer. Plenty of bargains, but this is the goer:

2008-12-26-jb1.jpg

I was $100 off, but still a great deal. If you haven't grabbed Dead Space / Mirror's Edge now is the time to do it!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn. I already have enough crap to buy tomorrow for boxing day, I think I will stay away from all of the gaming stores :lol

`Moe Joe.

Banned
My 360 1 light of deathed me so I'm buying an arcade tomorrow.

$228 from Big W; I need to make sure, at the moment, this is indeed the best deal?

Tntnnbltn

I'm back home for Christmas in a country town... The only stores that sell games here are EBGames and an independent gaming store that charges full price.

It made me sad to see a sign at EBGames saying "Silent Hill: Homecoming $109.95, LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEED" and know that it was factually correct. :(

Nearest JB Hifi: 7 hours away.

Ydahs

Tntnnbltn said:
I'm back home for Christmas in a country town... The only stores that sell games here are EBGames and an independent gaming store that charges full price.

It made me sad to see a sign at EBGames saying "Silent Hill: Homecoming $109.95, LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEED" and know that it was factually correct. :(

O_O where do you live?!

Ydahs

Tntnnbltn said:
Western Australia. The only JB Hi-Fi stores are in Perth.
Oh ok. So you must live quite far away from the city (I think, don't know much about WA). Isn't there a K-Mart or Target near you that sells games?

yjs666

Tntnnbltn said:

A country town with 2 game stores? That ain't no country town... more like a regional centre!

Tntnnbltn

Ydahs said:
Isn't there a K-Mart or Target near you that sells games?
We have Target Country, but I'm not sure if they have any games. Maybe some Wii shovelware at best.
yjs666 said:
A country town with 2 game stores? That ain't no country town... more like a regional centre!
Semantics. ;-) But yeah, it's not a real country town.

Zhuk

Banned
Has anyone been able to track down X3: Terran Conflict at a JB Hi-fi yet??? going to go buy this awesome game tomorrow so trying to see if JB's price is better than EB's :)

Mar

Tntnnbltn said:

??

How is that possible? The game is banned in Aus and doesn't have a release date. Right?

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Boxing Day opening sales were horrible today. I nearly suffocated and managed to get the last arcade unit. Never doing this shit again unless I have a weapon.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Tntnnbltn said:

E.B in W.A sells imports?

Tntnnbltn

Mar_ said:
??

How is that possible? The game is banned in Aus and doesn't have a release date. Right?
...Then who was game?

Seriously though, I'll go back there and check the sign again on Saturday. This never even occurred to me. I only looked at it briefly while I was picking up a DualShock 3 controller, maybe I misread it?

CryptiK said:
Anybody know if Motorstorm PR is cheaper than $89 anywhere?
You can get it from cdwow.com.au for 52 bucks (free delivery)... it ships from the UK but it is still good.
I ordered it last week and should get it early next week

CryptiK

HardDrive28 said:
You can get it from cdwow.com.au for 52 bucks (free delivery)... it ships from the UK but it is still good.
I ordered it last week and should get it early next week
is it the UK version of the game if so will I have any problem with servers not in my Region and stuff

PLAYASIA has it for $29 hmmm would I have any problem with the Asian version of the game?

CryptiK said:
is it the UK version of the game if so will I have any problem with servers not in my Region and stuff

PLAYASIA has it for $29 hmmm would I have any problem with the Asian version of the game?
On CDwow, it says PAL so I am guessing it will be fine. The UK version should be the same as the Aussie version.
As for the asian version on PlayAsia... not sure.
I am not sure if Motorstorm PR is region locked when playing online...

[EDIT] I just did a search and found that Europeans have been playing online with Americans... so it looks like it has global servers which is good news. It still does not answer whether the Asian version can play Europeans and Americans

Puck

Banned
This years boxing day sales were shit.
Same with last year.
I had a good look on palgn/ecogamer and a few retail sites for some gaming bargains, and there really isn't anything worthy besides old games @ big w for resale :(.

Oh well, Santa came through with the goods ; fc2, waw and ra3 on pc and r2 on ps3 :). I feel guilty for getting a lot in these tough times, though.

CryptiK

I have decided against getting foreign versions as I wont be able to by DLC for the game off the AusPSN so I am just going to dish out $89 :(

Grant DaNasty

Neo Member
Guys, I think it's time to update the current thread title. At the current exchange rate Australian prices are nowhere close to twice as much, and I've seen some stuff (like Wrath of the Lich King & the 60 gig 360) that are actually cheaper in Australia than in America.

Gazunta

Well on Christmas my wife bought me a Wii. Why? Because she's ridiculously awesome, that's why. Anyway I was looking around the Virtual Console section and discovered that the Commodore 64 games aren't available in Australia.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

I'm not complaining for myself - I think my wife would have legitimate grounds for divorce if I spent another cent re-buying games I already own several times over - I'm complaining on behalf of the 20 million Australians who are now deprived of the sheer fantasticality of playing games like International Karate +, Mayhem In Monsterland and Paradroid on their Wiis. When I think about how empty and soulless their lives will be because of this it brings me to drink (OK I'm drinking already, but still). What a horrible, cruel fate that Nintendo Australia or Commodore Gaming are inflicting upon the innocent and wonderful people of Australia.

Has anyone given a reason for this? Is there any hope?

Oh God DAMN it, Wizball is hitting Virtual Console next year apparently. THE GREATEST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME. AAAAAGH I'M SO PISSED OFF

Yagharek

I'm not entirely sure but IIRC pilonv1 was switching to the EU system/store and had some VC games from the C64 on his at one stage. I suggest getting in contact with him somehow.

I'm hoping they decide to get some Amiga 500 loving happening more than anything.

pilonv1

yep switch your account to UK. you'll lose any points you currently have. and any points in your UK account when you change back

Yagharek

Oooh and while I remember, heads up to anyone looking at post-$mas sales. At EB especially.

They have marked up the prices on some games by, say $20 - and then put "$20 Off" stickers on them to make it look like a bargain.

It's the same scam they pull when they put "50% off" stickers on games that are marked as $99.95 - only when the games are Platinum or Greatest Hits etc.

So yeah, be careful of their scams.

Kujo

Grant DaNasty said:
Guys, I think it's time to update the current thread title. At the current exchange rate Australian prices are nowhere close to twice as much, and I've seen some stuff (like Wrath of the Lich King & the 60 gig 360) that are actually cheaper in Australia than in America.
Shhh, don't let the retailers know.

Yagharek

legend166 said:
I don't think those are scams. That's simply what EB usually sell the games for.

Well they are scams in the loose sense of the word. You can't advertise something as being "on sale" (at a discounted price) if its the same price you already sell it at. It's misleading.

Tntnnbltn

RandomVince said:
Well they are scams in the loose sense of the word. You can't advertise something as being "on sale" (at a discounted price) if its the same price you already sell it at. It's misleading.
He meant that they really do charge that +$20 price normally.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
A friend got me Golden Axe - Beast Rider on 360 for Christmas... They don't know much about games. They probably went to E.B and asked "Whats the most popular game?" then the clerk pawned this atrocity off to them for $119.

Router said:
A friend got me Golden Axe - Beast Rider on 360 for Christmas... They don't know much about games. They probably went to E.B and asked "Whats the most popular game?" then the clerk pawned this atrocity off to them for $119.
Which reminds me... a friend of mine recently got a 360 and she's really into RPGs. As she is confirmed to be getting me a present... do any of you know where to get Fallout 3 for cheap?

Rlan

My boxing day pickups:

boulderdash1.jpg

Was hoping to grab Age of Empires Mythologies DS for $30 but the Big W thing must have been wrong, or meant the original version.

Also Steam:

damnyousteam.png

Yagharek

legend166 said:

Well either youre agreeing with me and saying the same thing I am, or I dont quite get what you mean? I used to work there and it's a "scam". I'll give an example I saw and you tell me if it's the same thing.

Case in point:

1. Random game (let's say Gran Turismo 4) goes platinum. Price drops from $99.95 to $49.95.
2. Two weeks later, EB "sale" starts.
3. GT4 price goes back up to $99.95, only now they put a 50% off sticker on it, making it look like a bargain.

Granted, this is one of the upper end of the scale examples, but it is the same method used in newer sales. Usually not with new releases though, just games that have had official drops in RRP shortly before the sale begins.

Is that what you meant? :)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Which reminds me... a friend of mine recently got a 360 and she's really into RPGs. As she is confirmed to be getting me a present... do any of you know where to get Fallout 3 for cheap?

Big W has it for $79.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom