• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/05 - 01/11

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
I know

Resident Evil 3 PSX 1.3 million
Resident Evil Code Veronica DC + PS2 773k

Yes, the number is important. That's what I'm saying.

And KH1 (without reeditions) sold ~850 so the psp version selling AT LEAST 700k (without reeditions) would not be a bad number.
Okay, so forget the number... do you think BBS would sell better on PS2 or PSP? Doesn't this also factor into the CV example... was the massive drop there from lacking a number or from switching to a weaker (market wise) platform?

And if BBS sells under 700k, is that a disappointment then?

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Okay, so forget the number... do you think BBS would sell better on PS2 or PSP? Doesn't this also factor into the CV example... was the massive drop there from lacking a number or from switching to a weaker (market wise) platform?

BBS shouldn't sell better on the PS2. I don't see a reason for that when high budget Square Enix games are selling fine on the psp.

But BBS is a psp game, the "if BBS was a ps2 game..." add nothing to the conversation

jarrod said:
And if BBS sells under 700k, is that a disappointment then?

700k LTD? Yes.

BBS looks like a high budget game comparable to the ps2 counterparts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PS3 and 360 Nibbling At Console Market Share

Japan - At the beginning of last summer, the Wii almost crossed its 70% console market share barrier with 69.99% on 06/02/08. While the Wii was reaching for historic highs, the 360 had reached its lowest point and the PS3 was quickly decelerating in one of its lower moments (23.55%). Since then, the Wii has lost nearly 2% console market share, not an insignificant number this deep into the generation. The 360 hasn't been that low again, climbing up to a much more respectable 7.68% and the PS3 looks like it will be locking in around 24% for the generation and currently sits at 24.18%.

Questions for consumption:
1. Are we seeing the plateau of Wii success in Japan? Is 70% the zenith it will never quite reach?
2. What does this mean? Can Microsoft hold its head up a little higher with 7.68% than it could at 6.something %?
3. In the same breath, should Sony be ashamed that it only has 24% market share after dominating so completely for the past ten years? Or, has the market truly split into casuals vs. hardcore, and, as the fanboys put it, it's doing really well for being so expensive?

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

tn_mc-2-consoles-weekly-pie-111.png
tn_mc-3-consoles-weekly-line-111.png
tn_mc-4-consoles-LTDs-111.png

tn_mc-5-consoles-markeshare-line-111.png
tn_mc-5-consoles-markeshare-pie-111.png
tn_mc-6-consoles-marketshare-line-111.png

>> Read the entire article and see full charts @ ChartGet.com >>

swerve

PantherLotus said:
1. Are we seeing the plateau of Wii success in Japan? Is 70% the zenith it will never quite reach?

Without knowing the next 24-36 months of software releases, this is an impossible question to answer with even a hint of accuracy.

PantherLotus said:
2. What does this mean? Can Microsoft hold its head up a little higher with 7.68% than it could at 6.something %?

Microsoft Japan achieved a lot in 2008. It can certainly hold its head higher than before.

PantherLotus said:
3. In the same breath, should Sony be ashamed that it only has 24% market share after dominating so completely for the past ten years? Or, has the market truly split into casuals vs. hardcore, and, as the fanboys put it, it's doing really well for being so expensive?

Not ashamed, no. They should only be ashamed if, in future, they fail to adapt and learn from this generation.

Casuals Vs. Hardcore split? No. Check out the Japanese Nintendo Channel average play times for 'traditional' games and more 'core' fare like Zelda, Shiren 3, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem... enthusiast gamers are everywhere.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
BBS shouldn't sell better on the PS2. I don't see a reason for that when high budget Square Enix games are selling fine on the psp.

But BBS is a psp game, the "if BBS was a ps2 game..." add nothing to the conversation
So, what you're implying here is that there's no real difference in sales potential between PS2 and PSP so long as budgets remain consistent? Am I getting that right?

Do you also think this is true with other platforms then? Do you think Code: Veronica would have sold identically had it been on PS2 from the start rather than Dreamcast?

Spiegel

jarrod said:
So, what you're implying here is that there's no real difference in sales potential between PS2 and PSP so long as budgets remain consistent? Am I getting that right?

Exactly, PSP has an userbase of 11.5 million consoles (13 million at least when KH releases) and high budget S-E games are selling fine on the psp. KH:BBS should also be fine.

jarrod said:
Do you also think this is true with other platforms then? Do you think Code: Veronica would have sold identically had it been on PS2 from the start rather than Dreamcast?

Certain games would have (and have had) the same sales potential on other platforms.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PSP Cements Foothold in Handheld Market

Japan - Just as Nintendo was once synonymous with gaming in the way that Kleenex is synonymous with tissue, Game Boy was used interchangeably with handheld gaming for more than 15 years. So when the data comes in showing that Sony's first entry into the handheld market has captured and held 30% market share or more for over six months, it's no small feat, especially when considering that the DS has overtaken the PS2 for greatest selling system in Japan, ever.

Clearly there are several issues that factor into this, including the much larger handheld market, the costly entry into hardcore gaming this generation, and actually having a viable competitor to the Nintendo product, but Sony's foothold in the market can no longer be denied.

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

tn_mc-9-handhelds-weekly-pie-111.png
tn_mc-10-handhelds-weekly-line-111.png
tn_mc-12-handhelds-marketshare-pie-111.png

tn_mc-11-handhelds-LTDs-111.png
tn_mc-13-handhelds-marketshare-line-111.png
tn_mc-13-handhelds-ms-weekly-line-111.png

>> Read the entire article and see full charts @ ChartGet.com >>

swerve

PantherLotus said:
the data comes in showing that Sony's first entry into the handheld market has captured and held 30% market share or more for over six months, it's no small feat, especially when considering that the DS has overtaken the PS2 for greatest selling system in Japan, ever.

It is an awesome achievement, and it's remarkable how handheld gaming has exploded - how many GBAs were sold in Japan and how soon will PSP eclipse that (if not already)?

lo zaffo

Well done Sony!! That reminds me when in an Italian forum I foresaw PSP 50% market share for 2005, that days I feared PSP eventually would had killed Nintendo DS (there's some Nintendo virus in my blood). I think that PSP is a truly achiever in the fighting portable market.

Askia47 said:
Well Star Ocean is an established name, WKC is a new ip and it still sold well. There is less 360s in Japan but I think that the a new game in the Star Ocean series will generate good sales. I think at the it should come close to 300K. If not that then around 200K.
There are a lot fewer 360s in Japan--about two million fewer. Historically, pretty much no game* has ever reached 33% saturation, which would mean SO 4 can't hit 300k. I agree with the brand power, and I think it will get to 200k--which would make it a giant success. It may well end up the best-selling 360 game yet in Japan.

*Besides bundled ones.

swerve said:
It is an awesome achievement, and it's remarkable how handheld gaming has exploded - how many GBAs were sold in Japan and how soon will PSP eclipse that (if not already)?
Going by Famitsu numbers, since the early GBA days go before weekly MC numbers...
GBA: 15.5 million
PSP: 11.2 million

Doing a good-case scenario for PSP, if 2009 and 2010 pull 2008-like numbers, it would catch up to GBA February or March 2010?

Jonnyram

Liabe Brave said:
There are a lot fewer 360s in Japan--about two million fewer. Historically, pretty much no game* has ever reached 33% saturation, which would mean SO 4 can't hit 300k. I agree with the brand power, and I think it will get to 200k--which would make it a giant success. It may well end up the best-selling 360 game yet in Japan.

*Besides bundled ones.
Star Ocean 4 has a bundle, so the same logic could be applied to it as Blue Dragon, potentially.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Going by Famitsu numbers, since the early GBA days go before weekly MC numbers...
GBA: 15.5 million
PSP: 11.2 million

Doing a good-case scenario for PSP, if 2009 and 2010 pull 2008-like numbers, it would catch up to GBA February or March 2010?
Well, it's fair to remember GBA had a fairly short lifespan too. Comparably, by this point in PSP's cycle, GBA already had it's successor on market. Actually, how many had GBA hold 4 years in?

aerts1js

Has any square-enix game released on the PSP really been a disappointment in terms of sales? I would not count on Kingdom Hearts being one.

Liabe Brave said:

*Besides bundled ones.
This is less the case with minor systems. The userbase tends to... have a certain niche which can make some games get quite high attach rates. SSBM's 1.35 million on a 4 million userbase comes to mind. Or X360's own Blue Dragon was actually over 50% for a while. Original Xbox's DOA3 had a huge percentage as a launch title, and even by the end of the generation was at about 45%.

Though even successful systems like Wii and DS have been known to get some absurd rates. Any of the Wii games over 2.6 million are currently doing better than 33%.
jarrod said:
Well, it's fair to remember GBA had a fairly short lifespan too. Comparably, by this point in PSP's cycle, GBA already had it's successor on market. Actually, how many had GBA hold 4 years in?
Yeah, definitely the case. By March 2005, GBA was at 14 million.

Grimmy

Banned
aerts1js said:
Has any square-enix game released on the PSP really been a disappointment in terms of sales? I would not count on Kingdom Hearts being one.

Well, so far the games that did well were Crisis Core, Dissidia and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Did OK/so-so were the Star Ocean 1 & 2. I think they might have wanted higher sales for those.
And the Final Fantasy 1 and 2 were just overpriced for what they were. Hence, middling sales.

RpgN

Grimmy said:
Well, so far the games that did well were Crisis Core, Dissidia and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Did OK/so-so were the Star Ocean 1 & 2. I think they might have wanted higher sales for those.
And the Final Fantasy 1 and 2 were just overpriced for what they were. Hence, middling sales.

1. Agreed
2. Agreed, SO2 could have sold more but it did okay for a port. SO1 was handled much better, it is more a remake. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth did also pretty good for a port.
3. Not to mention how they milked the shit out of it. I swear I'm going to kill something/someone if they release another FF1&2 ports!

RpgN said:
3. Not to mention how they milked the shit out of it. I swear I'm going to kill something/someone if they release another FF1&2 ports!
At least they were actually redone, rather than just being another slight shuffling of the WSC/PS1/GBA graphics.

Really I just wonder how long it will take for the first 3D remake of the first two FFs or DQs, since they're the ones that get recycled the most, and would be easiest to do.

RpgN

JoshuaJSlone said:
At least they were actually redone, rather than just being another slight shuffling of the WSC/PS1/GBA graphics.

Really I just wonder how long it will take for the first 3D remake of the first two FFs or DQs, since they're the ones that get recycled the most, and would be easiest to do.

But do you think that it will matter for the people who bought them before and maybe twice?

About those remakes, maybe after FFV and VI? Do you think they'll be on the ds?

Rolf NB

PantherLotus said:
1:
Share will depend more on the competition's performance than on the Wii's own. In absolute numbers, 2008 is already slightly down from 2007, so maybe it is as you say, but I wouldn't want to extrapolate a trend from that just now.

2:
Microsoft is done in Japan. We've seen another wave of hopeful releases recently, and we've, again, seen the sales. The Kool-aid notion that the western market can somehow "make it up" to Japanese publishers that make the wrong decisions wrt to homeland sales is now thoroughly disproven. Some publishers might still be willing to send their IPs to die worlwide and devalue their brands, but the size of the moneyhat required for that to happen will be prohibitive. After Star Ocean 4 the age of Japanese Xbox 360 exclusives is over, and with it goes the hope for further growth. The low price may or may not allow them to maintain current share.

3:
Shame isn't something you wait for. They should be ashamed now and let that inspire them to fight themselves out of this uncomfortable situation. The Wii's victory is cemented, but Sony has room to expand share. 35%, maybe, potentially, almost 40% before this is all over, that would be a fine goal.

Unordered:
As I've said before half-joking, Japan is Sony's 2009 project, or at least it should be. I expect another price drop at some point during the year, and that really is the most important change to make. Everything else hinges upon price.
That said, White Knight Chrabonicles was a good way to end the holiday season, Demon's Souls soon, that Advent Children Complete/FF XIII demo bundling and RE5 should in combination provide some impulse to the hardware early in the year.

Just because I hate it so much myself when people make proto-predictions with just suggestive feel-good words but no way of verification, I'll predict that H1 2009 vs H1 2008 (before Metal Gear Solid 4 last year, basically) PS3 hardware sales in Japan should be up 20% without a price drop, and obviously above if a price drop should happen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bcn-ron said:
Just because I hate it so much myself when people make proto-predictions with just suggestive feel-good words but no way of verification, I'll predict that H1 2009 vs H1 2008 (before Metal Gear Solid 4 last year, basically) PS3 hardware sales in Japan should be up 20% without a price drop, and obviously above if a price drop should happen.

I think that is pretty unlikely. Yes, there is some good stuff coming the next few months- Yakuza 2, SFIV, RE5, FF7 demo..but with no price drop I don't see that doing much honestly. 2008 had some big time games last year and it did them little good.

I'd add that sales have been down year to year since last Fall, and I think its unlikely that games alone will reverse that trend.

jarrod

Banned
Grimmy said:
Itadaki Street Portable underperformed, which I'm guessing is why Armor Project hasn't touched PSP again. Granted it was a port, but it was also a pretty early release and had little in the way of meaningful competition.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Next step is PSN/XBLA ports for FF I/II Anniversary Editions imo. We might get a 3Dmake afterwards though, but I'd expect to see FFV/VI DS before that even.

I don't think we'll get DQI+II or DQIII remakes this gen though. After the DS trio finish up, I expect we'll see Arte Piazza and Cattle Call do a DQVII remake for Wii, to clear the way for DQX. They've already got the engine in place actually (Opoona).

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Itadaki Street Portable underperformed, which I'm guessing is why Armor Project hasn't touched PSP again. Granted it was a port, but it was also a pretty early release and had little in the way of meaningful competition.

Sure, Armor Project hasn't touched PSP again because a year and half late port of a ps2 party game only sold 100k+.

That must be the reason.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Sure, Armor Project hasn't touched PSP again because a year and half late port of a ps2 party game only sold 100k+.

That must be the reason.
Well, it's probably at least a factor. A game headlined by FF and DQ all-stars isn't exactly just another party game either...

Horii going Nintendo crazy is an issue too, but I kinda wonder why else they've avoided PSP then? Any suggestions?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jarrod said:
Well, it's probably a factor. A game headlined by FF and DQ all-stars isn't exactly just another party game either...

Horii going Nintendo crazy is an issue too, but I kinda wonder why else they've avoided PSP then?

Why would they go PSP, if they games sell well on DS ?

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Well, it's probably a factor. A game headlined by FF and DQ all-stars isn't exactly just another party game either...

Horii going Nintendo crazy is an issue too, but I kinda wonder why else they've avoided PSP then?

Because Itadaki Street is a Dragon Quest AND Final Fantasy crossover, Horii goes "highest installed userbase" crazy and *his* DQ games are doing great on Ds.

jarrod

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Why would they go PSP, if they games sell well on DS ?
Well, Armor Project didn't seem to have trouble supporting the top two platforms last gen (PS2 & GBA). I'm just surprised we haven't seen anything for PSP since ISP in 2006?

Hell, I think a DQM or Torneko/Yangus style spinoff would probably do pretty well on PSP, but it doesn't seem to be happening... we aren't even getting PSN classics DQ reissues even iirc? :/

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Well, Armor Project didn't seem to have trouble supporting the top two platforms last gen (PS2 & GBA). I'm just surprised we haven't seen anything for PSP since ISP in 2006?

Hell, I think a DQM or Torneko/Yangus style spinoff would probably do pretty well on PSP, but it doesn't seem to be happening...

They also don't have trouble supporting the highest selling console and handled now (Wii/DS)

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
They also don't have trouble supporting the highest selling console and handled now (Wii/DS)
But those aren't the top two platforms exactly? I mean honestly, Armor Project's just a planning company, they'd easily be able to contract out a PSP dungeon crawler or something. Nomura/Kitase/Kawazu seem capable of spreading the wealth and moving to more machines, why not Horii?

And what about the PSone classics? I know SE's got a strict "no DQ/FF/Chrono" policy for VC/PSN, but I doubt that would extend to Torneko or Monsters?

edit: also just noticed that ISP is their worst selling game since the merger. Still, looking at their overall sales, Horii's team has got to be the biggest proportional earner among SE's R&D divisions?

03.23.2003 Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (GBA) 593,458
11.14.2003 Dragon Quest Slime Morimori (GBA) 346,190
03.25.2004 Dragon Quest V (PS2) 1,611,974
06.24.2004 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 (GBA) 115,262
11.27.2004 Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) 3,538,860
12.22.2004 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special (PS2) 380,482
12.01.2005 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (NDS) 293,970
04.20.2006 Dragon Quest Characters: Shonen Yangus (PS2) 301,755
05.25.2006 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP) 110,823
07.20.2006 Dragon Quest V: Ultimate Hits (PS2) 145,524
07.20.2006 Dragon Quest VIII: Ultimate Hits (PS2) 100,240
12.28.2006 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (NDS) 1,458,149
06.21.2007 Itadaki Street DS (NDS) 413,537
07.12.2007 Dragon Quest Swords (Wii) 486,222
11.22.2007 Dragon Quest IV (NDS) 1,201,771
07.17.2008 Dragon Quest V (NDS) 1,152,229

cw_sasuke

jarrod said:
But those aren't the top two platforms exactly? I mean honestly, Armor Project's just a planning company, they'd easily be able to contract out a PSP dungeon crawler or something. Nomura/Kitase/Kawazu seem capable of spreading the wealth and moving to more machines, why not Horii?

And what about the PSone classics? I know SE's got a strict "no DQ/FF/Chrono" policy for VC/PSN, but I doubt that would extend to Torneko or Monsters?

The DQ Userbase is on DS/Nintendoplatforms ...why split the fanbase across all plattforms ? Look what happened to Tales of....Horii is comfortable with the situation now, there is no need to rush any spin-offs on other plattforms...

Spiegel

jarrod said:

You have said it before: Horii going Nintendo crazy is one reason, DQ games doing great on DS/Wii is also a reason.

Could they make a DQ PSP? Sure, why not
Would the game sell well? Probably
Do they need to make a DQ PSP? Not really

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
You have said it before: Horii going Nintendo crazy is one reason, DQ games doing great on DS/Wii is also a reason.

Could they make a DQ PSP? Sure, why not
Would the game sell well? Probably
Do they need to make a DQ PSP? Not really
And then there's also (rightly or wrongly) the performance of their last PSP game, which was also their worst selling title since the merger (and possibly, ever?). I mean really, do you think if Itadaki had done 200k+, we still wouldn't have seen anything else on PSP from Horii? No TOSE-ports even?

PSOne classics still confuses me though?

Spiegel

jarrod said:
And then there's also (rightly or wrongly) the performance of their last PSP game, which was also their worst selling title since the merger (and possibly, ever?). I mean really, do you think if Itadaki had done 200k+, we still wouldn't have seen anything else on PSP from Horii? No TOSE-ports even?

PSOne classics still confuses me though?

Maybe the fact that the ps2 version was the first game with DQ and FF characters had something to do with the sales.

Yes, they CAN release dq games for Psp. Yes, they would probably sell well. No, they are not making the decision of not bringing DQ games to psp because a late port of a party game didn't set the charts on fire, that would be stupid.

They are supporting the highest selling portable and console and they're fine with that.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Maybe the fact that the ps2 version was the first game with DQ and FF characters had something to do with the sales.

Yes, they CAN release dq games for Psp. Yes, they would probably sell well. No, they are not making the decision of not bringing DQ games to psp because a late port of a party game didn't set the charts on fire, that would be stupid.

They are supporting the highest selling portable and console and they're fine with that.
LOL. You honestly think performance had no impact on the decision making process? Had Itadaki Portable sold 300k and Slime Morimori 2 sold 100k, you think we'd be in the exact same situation regardless? :lol

I'm not saying all and future potential Armor Project support for PSP hinges on these sales, but looking back it's pretty easy to see the lukewarm response likely didn't help matters and were undoubtedly a factor in originally steering Horii into his current platform positions.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
I dunno, GS seems like the closest point of comparison imo, despite in game canon. Same genre, same development team, similar budget... it's far closer to the GS games than the main SH series titles really.

But don't forget the bigger involvement on the Capcom side and the far bigger advertising campaign. The Gun Survivor games were also throwaway games that experimented to see if FPS Biohazard was viable. The first one was out a mere week before CV, GS2 was an arcade game out a few months before REmake, and GS4 was out a few months after Zero and the same year as the first Outbreak. Meanwhile, UC was never meant to be overshadowed by any other game in the series, whether it be RE4 Wii or RE5. UC was meant to be taken seriously by series fans and can't be ignored. The sales reflect that sentiment. The GS comparisons are fairly superficial at this point.

cw_sasuke

jarrod said:
LOL. You honestly think performance had no impact on the decision making process? Had Itadaki Portable sold 300k and Slime Morimori 2 sold 100k, you think we'd be in the exact same situation regardless? :lol

I'm not saying all and future potential Armor Project support for PSP hinges on these sales, but looking back it's pretty easy to see the lukewarm response likely didn't help matters and were undoubtedly a factor in originally steering Horii into his current platform positions.

Can't compare a Minigame Ps2 Port to a new Action-Adventure Slime Game.

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
But don't forget the bigger involvement on the Capcom side and the far bigger advertising campaign. The Gun Survivor games were also throwaway games that experimented to see if FPS Biohazard was viable. The first one was out a mere week before CV, GS2 was an arcade game out a few months before REmake, and GS4 was out a few months after Zero and the same year as the first Outbreak. Meanwhile, UC was never meant to be overshadowed by any other game in the series, whether it be RE4 Wii or RE5. UC was meant to be taken seriously by series fans and can't be ignored. The sales reflect that sentiment. The GS comparisons are fairly superficial at this point.
Oh sure, on the promotion end TUC definitely got a far bigger push than any of the PS2 GS gunners. I think Wii's performance (and RE4 Wii's performance right before it) probably had a lot to do with that though... the production values on TUC itself are pretty obviously low, I don;t think Capcom had the same sort of push planned when they started making it.

Spiegel

jarrod said:

A decision two years ago? Sure, I haven't denied that. Maybe it had some impact.

Now? No, psp is a viable platform not worse than, let's say, Wii in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Can't compare a Minigame Ps2 Port to a new Action-Adventure Slime Game.
Well, they both use 99% recycled assets. :lol

And I'm not comparing them, I'm just using a hypothetical to stress the absurdity of sales performance having no impact in future platform support.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
A decision two years ago? Sure, I haven't denied that. Maybe it had some impact.

Now? No, psp is a viable platform not worse than, let's say, Wii in Japan.
Decisions two years charted the path to "now" though. And PSP is viable "now", so why the disconnect from Armor Project?

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Decisions two years charted the path to "now" though. And PSP is viable "now", so why the disconnect from Armor Project?

I don't know, I'm not Horii.

Maybe they have some yet to unveil spinoff prepared or like I said before maybe they are fine supporting the best selling handled and the best selling console in Japan.

Grimmy

Banned
Sorry, I totally forgot about Valkyrie Profile and Itadaki Steet.

From Japan Charts:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 753.939
Final Fantasy Tactics 301.796
Star Ocean 1: First Departure 204.996
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth 168.515
Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution 143.424
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition 124.839
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable 110.823
Final Fantasy II 78.057

wrowa

jarrod said:
But those aren't the top two platforms exactly? I mean honestly, Armor Project's just a planning company, they'd easily be able to contract out a PSP dungeon crawler or something.
But that's not the way they manage their business. Armor Project always released Dragon Quest games only on the best selling home console and on the best selling handheld (I think the only exceptions were the MSX ports of DQ1, 2 and 3). They aren't going to change that anytime soon.

jarrod

Banned
wrowa said:
But that's not the way they manage their business. Armor Project always released Dragon Quest games only on the best selling home console and on the best selling handheld (I think the only exceptions were the MSX ports of DQ1, 2 and 3). They aren't going to change that anytime soon.
They already did. We technically already got a DQ branded game on PSP with ISP.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Oh sure, on the promotion end TUC definitely got a far bigger push than any of the PS2 GS gunners. I think Wii's performance (and RE4 Wii's performance right before it) probably had a lot to do with that though... the production values on TUC itself are pretty obviously low, I don;t think Capcom had the same sort of push planned when they started making it.

I think UC was looking to be a pretty big Wii third party title even before RE4 Wii was announced. RE4 Wii certainly validated the series' potential on Wii, but that didn't stop UC from being inevitably bigger and more important than any GS game. I think the best way to shape UC is neither as a GS-type game or an Outbreak-type game, but in a weird CV/RE4 hybrid, where we get a main game without a number and a new type of gameplay like what RE4 introduced (and UC isn't really like any GS game).

Just wanted to say that I'm impressed the PSP is about to hit 12 million units. That's amazing given the huge success DS has been. Now if Sony could just do something about software sales...

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I think UC was looking to be a pretty big Wii third party title even before RE4 Wii was announced. RE4 Wii certainly validated the series' potential on Wii, but that didn't stop UC from being inevitably bigger and more important than any GS game. Ithink the best way to shape UC is neither as a GS-ty[e game or an Outbreak-type game, but in a weird CV/RE4 hybrid, where we get a main game without a number and a new type of gameplay like what RE4 introduced.
Eh, RE4/CV seems far too stretching a comparison honestly. Neither of those games recycled half their assets, neither game jumped genre entirely, and this game was definitely way too low budget by comparison. Maybe in the BH pantheon it ranks ahead of other spinoffs, but it's not core series either... a good analog in another series might be something like DQ Swords actually. Or Luigi's Mansion. High profile spinoff, but a genre divergent, comparably low budget, spinoff all the same.

wrowa

jarrod said:
They already did. We technically already got a DQ branded game on PSP with ISP.
That's kind of a different case, imo. ISP was (together with DQ Slime) one of their first games for the new generation of handhelds – at that time they were not sure which plattform will succeed, I suppose.

Spiegel

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
Just wanted to say that I'm impressed the PSP is about to hit 12 million units. That's amazing given the huge success DS has been. Now if Sony could just do something about software sales...

Yeah, it's pretty sad that SCEJ has only announced two "detective" adventure games for this year. They could have the fucking Gran Turismo Portable or a non low budget spinoff SRPG Wild Arms or at least port some ps2 games like Dark Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy, Minna no Tennis,...

They are doing nothing.

Top Bottom