• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/05 - 01/11

Rock_Man

JoshuaJSlone said:
Did anyone get Dengeki stuff for the week beginning December 29?

Yes, I have the top 50. I'll mail it if you want.

Was there any Dengeki hardware software report published for the week 12/22-12/28? I can't find it here.

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 62.7 / 37.3 bring total shares to 68.9 / 31.1. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 230.4 weeks (June 12, 2013).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 27.3 / 72.7 bring total shares to 24.1 / 75.9. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 175.4 weeks (May 24, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 40.6 / 59.4 bring total shares to 26.2 / 73.8. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 175.1 weeks (May 21, 2012).

Week over week, everything tanks. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
X360

gantz85

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Square claims to have shipped 410,000 copies of IU. More will never be reordered, it will never be restocked (it won't sell another unit past 410,000). It won't, then, outsell Radiata.

Worse, I think, is that Square is probably going to be salting the earth with retailers in the future if they have to stuff channels with crap that isn't going to sell. I don't know what EBGames and walmart have arranged with their distributors, but if I were the buyer, I would not buy 200,000 copies of the next square RPG unless it was a big fuckin' name. And that's really dangerous.

I think this process is considerably more visible in Japan.

Infinite Undiscovery shipping 200K in North America as listed in that document is incredible. It makes IU their fourth-best selling software of the last fiscal year.

I seriously wonder what happened with the shipping/distributor situation, and whether it had anything to do with Microsoft and their dealings with Squeenix.

So before I get to the normal Famitsu stuff, I notice some larger-than-normal discrepancies between these and Media Create's version of the two weeks Famitsu combines: the ones starting December 22 and December 29. It appears Famitsu is more generous towards every system.

Code:
Wii
MC:  254,923
Fam: 303,730
Diff: +48,807 or +19%

DSL
MC:  104,613
Fam: 116,214
Diff: +11,601 or +11%

DSi
MC:  371,215
Fam: 418,343
Diff: +47,128 or +13%

PS2
MC:  22,952
Fam: 32,008
Diff: +9,056 or +39%

PS3
MC:  106,643
Fam: 116,813
Diff: +10,170 or +10%

PSP
MC:  275,853
Fam: 289,244
Diff: +13,391 or +5%

X360
MC:  22,952
Fam: 31,947
Diff: +8,995 or +28%

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 213 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 165.5 weeks (May 1, 2003), where DS was at 95.6 weeks (September 28, 2006), and where GBA was at 145.2 weeks (December 30, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 151 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 15.7 weeks (December 28, 2001), where PS3 was at 25.0 weeks (April 29, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.5 weeks (December 27, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 113 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 29.2 weeks (September 18, 2000), where PSP was at 56.5 weeks (January 4, 2006), where GCN was at 118.1 weeks (December 15, 2003), and where Wii was at 29.5 weeks (June 21, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 110 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 93.2 weeks (December 31, 2002), where DS was at 74.4 weeks (May 3, 2006), where PS2 was at 109.6 weeks (April 4, 2002), and where PSP was at 160.7 weeks (January 4, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 10 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 25.4 weeks (August 6, 2003), and where DSL was at 10.2 weeks (May 9, 2006).

Wii narrowly misses catching back up to PS2. Now that the holiday bump is over, it may not do that any time soon.

Wii+in+terms+of+PS2

Rock_Man

bttb said:
Every "ASCII Game Market Report" has data for This Week/Last Week. Hardware/software totals for the week 12/22-12/28 can be found on the week 12/29-01/04 (Vol. 22).

Yes, that's good. Just the weekly top 20 missing.

I noticed there is a 2008 Top 30 there too. Don't know if it has been posted here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lightning said:
That excuse doesn't work.... there are over 25million 360's sold in the world.

my comment was related to japan, which is the subject of this thread.

so3 did 800k in japan.
so4 will not do 800k in japan.
it would be impossible for so4 to do 800k in japan

OK, with both the two-week Top 30 and the individual week Top 20s, those weeks are fairly well covered, until we get more from Top 100/500s.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
Mario Kart Wii passes 2 million.
2854+-+Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii

Wii Fit passes 3 million.
2674+-+Wii+Fit+-+Wii

Dissidia passes Crisis Core.
D%3AFF

A couple recent music titles have caused bigger-than-normal third party stirs on Wii. Taiko Wii is now the #2 third party game on teh system, and Karaoke Joysound is #7.

The third Layton's (3293) weekly sales aren't holding up quite as well as the second so far, but thanks to the bigger start it's still matching its total this far from launch very closely.

Jokeropia

Great work as always, Joshua and Rock_Man.

Anyway speaking of PSP in the west, there's a reason the software support is weak. It's because even when it was strong, software sales were poor.

Johann

Most Western developers see the handheld as a platform in which you can make easy money with little investment. Many Western PSP games were outsourced ports of the PS2 counterpart that suffered from poor controls and hardware optimization.

With the development cost of an average PSP game being a hair behind that of an average PS2 game, most Western developers cut bait after software sales floundered.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Johann said:
Most Western developers see the handheld as a platform in which you can make easy money with little investment.
An image that for most part, Sony helped to create. Shoehorning external memory to PSP design was a bad hw-design decision, but it may have done more damage to the platform by image it helped to create.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
my comment was related to japan, which is the subject of this thread.

so3 did 800k in japan.
so4 will not do 800k in japan.
it would be impossible for so4 to do 800k in japan

This 800k is an awfully inflated number. It's a lot more realistic to say that SO3 did 500k in Japan, because that's what it did, before they re-released it, and even then, it only did 600-700k.

SO3 did 500k in Japan, SO won't do 500k in Japan, it's impossible. But it is possible that SO4 will do 250k in Japan, which isn't all that bad all things considered. If SO4 doesn't do over 200k in Japan within the first month, then I think that would be a disappointment in terms of expected sales.

jarrod

Banned
ccbfan said:
LOL at people trying to argue for PSP sales in a Media Create topic.

I mean wtf, you think you're really gonna convince people?

I mean in this series of threads where People say a side game like

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 241,855 is a smashing success

while a side game like

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Konami 358,277
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus Konami 206,365

are failures
Yikes! Well, with UC we do have a subseries point of comparison at least...

Gun Survivor 2: Resident Evil Code: Veronica Capcom 118,747
Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis Capcom 76,720
Gun Survivor 4: Resident Evil Heroes Never Die Capcom 40,622

...you honestly wouldn't call "a side game like"...

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 241,855

..."a smashing success" after that? :lol

Nevermind that I don't see anyone calling MGSPO/+ a "failure", nor that it actually isn't a genre divergent spinoff (Kojipro actually considers it core series iirc?). If you want a comparable PSP genre divergent spinoff failure for the franchise (which I've already mentioned) it's...

Metal Gear Acid 2 Konami 50,943

ccbfan said:
or same games like

Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 Konami 104,654

is a success while

World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008 Konami 174,111

is a failure.
LOL. I don't see anyone calling any of the PSP Winning Elevens failures? That'd be the DS or 360 iterations. :lol

Also worth mentioning the Wii version was the final iteration released, by a month, of a game that hit six platforms before it. Now, the PSP version wasn't treated much kinder (5th platform release, a month earlier than the Wii SKU), but then it was also the 3rd WE on it's platform and wasn't building an audience ground up. Previous WE games on PSP sold within the same 100-200k range iirc, which I don't think most would consider all that bad.

Zihark

So Atelier Annie is releasing in a few weeks, does anyone have numbers for Atelier Lise? Also what is GUST highest selling title?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zihark said:
So Atelier Annie is releasing in a few weeks, does anyone have numbers for Atelier Lise? Also what is GUST highest selling title?

atelier lise 40,542 for famitsu

Their best-selling is Atelier Lilie, which was released in 2001 and sold 90k.

Spiegel

Dash Kappei said:
:O

Holy shit that's bad.

Yeah. At least PES 2009 PSP has online this year, only took them 4 years! Konami is Sony's bitch [/farham].

I can't believe how some people think publishers expect psp games like Tales of the World, Dynasty Warriors or PES 6/2008 selling like the main ps2 entries. Like I said before, must be that they know nothing about those psp games.

duckroll said:
This 800k is an awfully inflated number. It's a lot more realistic to say that SO3 did 500k in Japan, because that's what it did, before they re-released it, and even then, it only did 600-700k.

SO3 did 500k in Japan, SO won't do 500k in Japan, it's impossible. But it is possible that SO4 will do 250k in Japan, which isn't all that bad all things considered. If SO4 doesn't do over 200k in Japan within the first month, then I think that would be a disappointment in terms of expected sales.
I wonder how big the marketing campaign will be, not even Blue Dragon could top 250k in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Radiant Mythology heralded as a near universal success around here? It outsold all it's predecessors and other Tales spinoffs iirc?

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Radiant Mythology heralded as a near universal success around here? It outsold all it's predecessors and other Tales spinoffs iirc?

Read donny's previous posts

Tales of is a ps2 saga with games selling 400k+ and the psp game FAILED selling that number. He says publishers can't expect selling 300k+ on the psp because the ps2-sagas have failed doing that.

Spiegel said:
Yeah. At least PES 2009 PSP has online this year, only took them 4 years! Konami is Sony's bitch [/farham].

I can't believe how some people think publishers expect psp games like Tales of the World, Dynasty Warriors or PES 6/2008 selling like the main ps2 entries. Like I said before, must be that they know nothing about those psp games.
It's not the people setting expectations too high its the publishers on the whole actually.

They are looking for another PS2. They aren't finding one aside from the DS. This leaves them confused and befuddled. Making them overshoot expectations on a myriad of titles, on a myriad of platforms as they try to find their white knights equal.

Fun generation overall.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Read donny's previous posts

Tales of is a ps2 saga with games selling 400k+ and the psp game FAILED selling that number.
I only saw donny mentioning general franchise drops, did he really specify Radiant Mythology? :lol

Truth be told, the Tales franchise fatigue is an issue bigger than just whatever platform it's being whored to at the moment... and RM's one of the few games to even beat that trend compared to ND1-3.

Spiegel

jarrod said:
I only saw donny mentioning general franchise drops, did he really specify Radiant Mythology? :lol

Truth be told, the Tales franchise fatigue is an issue bigger than just whatever platform it's being whored to at the moment... and RM's one of the few games to even beat that trend compared to ND1-3.

No, see my edit.

Tales is only an example. He says publishers can't expect selling 300k/400k+ on the psp because ps2 sagas have failed doing that on the handled.

Truth is: psp don't have a main tales or a main dynasty warriors or a main pes or a main sengoku basara or a main ff or a main star ocean or a main... See my point?

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
No, see my edit.

Tales is only an example. He says publishers can't expect selling 300k/400k+ on the psp because the ps2-sagas have failed doing that on the handled.
Well, I think that's probably true to a degree, but I wouldn't put an exact ceiling (ie: 400k) on it. In a general sense though it just seems likely due to overall market trends, regradless of cherrypicking examples.

Honestly, I think had for example Crisis Core been a PS2 game, it's have sold quite a bit more. I think the case will probably be similar for KH BBS. On the other hand, I'm not sure Dissidia or Agito FFXIII would, given their entire design seems better suited to PSP as a platform. It goes both ways really, but saying "PS2 style games would sell better on PS2" doesn't seem like that huge a leap.

jarrod said:
Yeah, here it is (450) doing quite better than any of its GBA predecessors. There was a GBC Tales of the World game, too, but it didn't do better.
Spiegel said:
Tales of is a ps2 saga with games selling 400k+ and the psp game FAILED selling that number. He says publishers can't expect selling 300k+ on the psp because the ps2-sagas have failed doing that.
asdfsdfoasdpofjisadfopiajsfopwipiwnf If Namco had expected Radiant Mythology to do so well that they'd need to sell 300K in Japan to break even, then they would have lost money on it. Budgeting for minor success is Not A Bad Thing.

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
asdfsdfoasdpofjisadfopiajsfopwipiwnf If Namco had expected Radiant Mythology to do so well that they'd need to sell 300K in Japan to break even, then they would have lost money on it. Budgeting for minor success is Not A Bad Thing.

Who said that?
Thanks for proving my point

I the only one who is saying that publishers don't expect psp games selling like ps2 games because the budget and the effort are usually lower. New Psp games with a budget/effort comparable to ps2 counterparts that sold +400k have not failed selling +400k

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Yikes! Well, with UC we do have a subseries point of comparison at least...

Gun Survivor 2: Resident Evil Code: Veronica Capcom 118,747
Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis Capcom 76,720
Gun Survivor 4: Resident Evil Heroes Never Die Capcom 40,622

...you honestly wouldn't call "a side game like"...

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 241,855

..."a smashing success" after that? :lol

I'm still not sure UC can be compared to the Gun Survivor series. UC is undeniably a part of the main series, featuring the main cast and a plot that figures into the main series. Capcom's got a time line promotion for the series leading up to RE5 in Japan, and UC gets a spot in that timeline, while the GS games and Outbreak don't. ;)

Good point about MGA btw. Portable Ops seems more comparable to Biohazard Deadly Silence than it does to Umbrella Chronicles. And Deadly Silence sales outpaced the MGA series.
And Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, for randomness sake
:lol :lol

Grimmy

Banned
jarrod said:
Honestly, I think had for example Crisis Core been a PS2 game, it's have sold quite a bit more. I think the case will probably be similar for KH BBS. On the other hand, I'm not sure Dissidia or Agito FFXIII would, given their entire design seems better suited to PSP as a platform. It goes both ways really, but saying "PS2 style games would sell better on PS2" doesn't seem like that huge a leap.

Except if Crisis Core was released on the PS2, it may have sold less. Two reasons: a dying platform, and the ghost of Dirge of Cerburus. In many ways Crisis Core benefitted from a clean break from Dirge, as well as pitch-perfect timing, since it was at the height of Monster Hunter 2 Portable mania.

But then, we're all speculating, so no one wins.

jarrod

Banned
Grimmy said:
Except if Crisis Core was released on the PS2, it may have sold less. Two reasons: a dying platform, and the ghost of Dirge of Cerburus. In many ways Crisis Core benefitted from a clean break from Dirge, as well as pitch-perfect timing, since it was at the height of Monster Hunter 2 Portable mania.

But then, we're all speculating, so no one wins.
Really, I doubt it. High profile PS2 games are still charting and as for DOC's negative impact, most Crisis Core owners as is likely have PS2s anyway. If DOC was so detrimental, it would've effected Crisis Core no matter it's platform.

I also don't see much relevance with MHP2, which released six months earlier? The games are in different genres with entirely different focuses? This isn't like PSU. The timing with PSP2000 was good but come on... you really don't see a game like Crisis Core cracking 1m+ on PS2? Seriously? When something like FFX-2 did twice that?

cvxfreak said:
I'm still not sure UC can be compared to the Gun Survivor series. UC is undeniably a part of the main series, featuring the main cast and a plot that figures into the main series. Capcom's got a time line promotion for the series leading up to RE5 in Japan, and UC gets a spot in that timeline, while the GS games and Outbreak don't. ;)
I dunno, GS seems like the closest point of comparison imo, despite in game canon. Same genre, same development team, similar budget... it's far closer to the GS games than the main SH series titles really.

Grimmy

Banned
jarrod said:
Really, I doubt it. High profile PS2 games are still charting and as for DOC's negative impact, most Crisis Core owners as is likely have PS2s anyway. If DOC was so detrimental, it would've effected Crisis Core no matter it's platform.

I also don't see much relevance with MHP2, which released six months earlier? The games are in different genres with entirely different focuses? This isn't like PSU. The timing with PSP2000 was good but come on... you really don't see a game like Crisis Core cracking 1m+ on PS2? Seriously? When something like FFX-2 did twice that?

Crisis Core outsold every PS2 game out that year and since. I'm sure Square Enix was happy with that. You are speculating on something we will never know, so me trying to convince you otherwise (or vice versa) is a waste of time. But FFX-2 is totally different since it's actually a full RPG with teams, etc. To compare them is really futile - it's like trying to justify Mystic Quest versus Final Fantasy IV.

And MHP2 revived interest in the PSP, and more importantly significantly increased its HARDWARE SALES. To think it had no relevance is blind.

Spiegel

jarrod said:
you really don't see a game like Crisis Core cracking 1m+ on PS2? Seriously? When something like FFX-2 did twice that?

I'm not so sure. Crisis core is a short (main story is 15 hours) Action RPG with little to no exploration, it's not comparable to a long turnbased rpg.

I'd say ~800k is a good number and S-E must think the same thing when they announced Agito XIII and PE3 after that.

Grimmy

Banned
Spiegel said:
I'm not so sure. Crisis core is a short (main story is 15 hours) Action RPG with little to no exploration, it's not comparable to a long turnbased rpg.

I'd say ~800k is a good number and S-E must think the same thing when they announced Agito XIII and PE3 after that.

Yes. Crisis Core established the PSP as one of SE's bases. Without it, definitely the sales of Dissidia wouldn't be as high. Let's just say that SE really doesn't have much to complain about the PSP. Last we heard Crisis Core was nearing 2 million worldwide, with Europe just released. I'd imagine it's over 2 million now - impressive number.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:

Agito's multiplayer focused though? That seems more following in the MHP/PSP/Dissidia trend than Crisis Core, even if it's battle system more mirrors the latter. And I'm not saying SE is disappointed in Crisis Core, I'm only saying it probably could've sold better on PS2. The main story in FFX-2 is only 25 hours, also well shirt of the 40 hour miniumum we've come to expect from the main entires.

As an aside, how do you expect KH BBS to sell? On par with KH2 or worse?

jarrod

Banned
Askia47 said:
If WKC can do 300K +, Then SO4 should also do similar numbers. I don't think people expected WKC to do this well.
I sure didn't. But it's first party, so clearly it doesn't count anyway. ;)

Grimmy

Banned
jarrod said:
Agito's multiplayer focused though? That seems more following in the MHP/PSP/Dissidia trend than Crisis Core, even if it's battle system more mirrors the latter. And I'm not saying SE is disappointed in Crisis Core, I'm only saying it probably could've sold better on PS2. The main story in FFX-2 is only 25 hours, also well shirt of the 40 hour miniumum we've come to expect from the main entires.

Worse. 500,000, but doubt it'll reach even Crisis Core's height.

And SE has proven tha not only MHP wannabes sell. Obviously SE had a plan when Crisis Core was made - and it's not just based on the sales of one game, so whether it sold more or less on PS2/PSP is moot. It wanted to establish another possible market on a hardware, and it did just that with both Crisis Core and Dissidia.

Spiegel

jarrod said:

Worse. KH:BBS is not KH3

The gba version managed to sell 340k, so KH:BBS should double at least that number.

test_account

XP-39C²
bcn-ron said:
The biggest benefit to them is not the business they did for themselves, but the business they have prevented. They have tied up all these teams and people for such a long time. Some of them might have built PS3 or multiplatform games (before PS3's trajectory even became what it is now) but they were already occupied with something else.
Ye, that is a good point :) I wonder how the situation will be in the upcomming years, if Xbox 360 will contunie get more exclusive RPGs from 3rd parties, or if 3rd parties will start to make multiplatform RPGs instead.

jarrod

Banned
Grimmy said:
Worse. 500,000, but doubt it'll reach even Crisis Core's height.
Well, at least you can still use it to refute donny's 400k ceiling then. :lol

I really think the KH games are bit misjudged in terms of platform though. BBS should've been a PS2 game and 352/8d should've been a PSP game. I think SE's done themselves somewhat a disservice by abandoning PS2 so early honestly.

Grimmy said:
And SE has proven tha not only MHP wannabes sell. Obviously SE had a plan when Crisis Core was made - and it's not just based on the sales of one game, so whether it sold more or less on PS2/PSP is moot. It wanted to establish another possible market on a hardware, and it did just that with both Crisis Core and Dissidia.
Crisis Core would've sold regardless though, it's not much like MHP imo, which was really a perfect fusion between platform and game design. In that sense, MHP's more similar to Pokemon, Crisis Core's more Mario Kart.

I can see your point in market building, which is probably more key. I also sort of wonder how a multiplatform CC might've gone over?

Askia47

Case said:
How'd you come to that conclusion?

Well Star Ocean is an established name, WKC is a new ip and it still sold well. There is less 360s in Japan but I think that the a new game in the Star Ocean series will generate good sales. I think at the it should come close to 300K. If not that then around 200K.

jarrod said:
I sure didn't. But it's first party, so clearly it doesn't count anyway. ;)

? Theres a rule against first party games or something I'm not getting?

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Worse. KH:BBS is not KH3

The gba version managed to sell 340k, so KH:BBS should double at least that number.
GBA version's entirely different though, unlike BBS it isn't retaining the core series genre/gameplay or budget/production values. BBS seems basically like a core series installment but lacking the number... it's like the series' "Code: Veronica" really.

Unless you're saying a number is that important? What if they'd have just called it "Kingdom Hearts Zero", then would it have sold better?

Lightning

Banned
jarrod said:
GBA version's entirely different though, unlike BBS it isn't retaining the core series genre/gameplay or budget/production values. BBS seems basically like a core series installment but lacking the number... it's like the series' "Code: Veronica" really.

Unless you're saying a number is that important? What if they'd have just called it "Kingdom Hearts Zero", then would it have sold better?
The number seems to be important in the mind of the general public. I don't get it though because it's one of the most stupidest thing I've ever encountered. FFXIII for example is seen as the main game while Versus XIII is seen as a spin-off despite the fact that both games have the absolutely fantastic development teams and are getting an incredible amount of effort put into them.

Spiegel

jarrod said:
GBA version's entirely different though, unlike BBS it isn't retaining the core series genre or budget/production values. BBS seems basically like a core series installment but lacking the number... it's like the series' "Code: Veronica" really.

I know

Resident Evil 3 PSX 1.3 million
Resident Evil Code Veronica DC + PS2 773k

jarrod said:

Yes, the number is important. That's what I'm saying.

And KH1 (without reeditions) sold ~850 so the psp version selling AT LEAST 700k (without reeditions) would not be a bad number.

Top Bottom