• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/05 - 01/11

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Spiegel said:
Yeah come on, name those lots of BIG BUDGET games in the first two years please.

Wii (and DS for that matter) didn't have anything close to:

Metal Gear Solid x2
Monster Hunter
Ace Combat
Dynasty Warriors
Tekken
Ridge Racer
GTA x2
Winning Eleven (came only with the 08 edition for Wii) x3
Burnout
SW: Battlefront II
Naruto
Midnight Club
Initial D
Tales of
Sakura Taisen
Megaman x2
Valhalla Knights
Disgaea
Ys
Virtua Tennis
Valkirie Profile
Riviera
Armored Core
Darkstalker
Street Fighter
Jeanna d'Arc (Level 5, Sony published it though)

...and Crisis Core at 2.5 years from launch date.

I mean REALLY NOW Spiegel?
ffs, how could anyone in his right mind deny *facts*.

bttb said:
First Day Sales (01/15)

[PS3] Naruto: Narutimate Storm (Bandai Namco Games) - 27,000 (53%)
[PS3] Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks) - 15,000 (49%)
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1231858801/235
The Narutimate series continues to slow down. The last couple games on PS2 (in 2007) started with 75k and 95k first weeks, versus what will be about 50k on PS3. How much of this is series fatigue--the highest sellers were back during the PS2's peak--and how much is just a small PS3 userbase I wouldn't venture to guess.

Fallout 3 is interesting. It did 33k first week on 360 about a month and a half ago, and it looks like PS3 will about match that. We've seen that day-and-date HD releases typically do far better on PS3 (Dynasty Warriors 6, Devil May Cry 4), whereas much later ports typically don't (Enchanted Arms, Trusty Bell). It looks like that effect extends even to relatively short delays, what with Assassin's Creed and now this. I wonder if that's a consumer perception effect, or if it's just coincidence related to what particular games are at issue (e.g. western versus Japanese, etc.)

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
See what? That I'm excusing a bomba on the psp
Yep, and immediately after criticizing anyone doing the same for Wii bombs.

Truth be told, there's reasons these sorts of games tanked on any platform. Hell, even DS and PS2 have long lists of bombs... sure the platform figures to a degree, but there's always more to it than just that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dash Kappei said:

Metal Gear Solid x2
Monster Hunter
Ace Combat
Dynasty Warriors
Tekken
Ridge Racer
GTA x2
Burnout
Naruto
Midnight Club
Initial D
Tales of
Sakura Taisen
Megaman x2
Valhalla Knights
Disgaea
Ys
Virtua Tennis
Valkirie Profile
Riviera
Armored Core
Darkstalker
Street Fighter

A lot of those arent big budget...Riveria? Valkyrie Profile with some FMV added? Ys?

Liabe Brave said:
The Narutimate series continues to slow down. The last couple games on PS2 (in 2007) started with 75k and 95k first weeks, versus what will be about 50k on PS3. How much of this is series fatigue--the highest sellers were back during the PS2's peak--and how much is just a small PS3 userbase I wouldn't venture to guess.
Naruto in general seems down. Certainly userbase can't be blamed for the Wii Gekitou Ninja Taisen games doing worse than their GCN predecessors. Looks like 2004 was the Naruto peak? The only games to pass 400K (one PS2, one GCN) were released within two months of each other. The last one to pass 300K was released in 2006. Until the 2008 Top 500 is released, we can't even be sure any post-2006 games have hit 200K.

Durante said:
More importantly Valhalla Knights and a Disgaea port!

Big budget has changed.
There's also the ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers in the list. Darkstalkers was basically a straight arcade port, IIRC. A lot of the games are spinoffs too, like the Metal Gears.

It's funny, because before the PSP had no games. Now it had all the games but failed anyway.

Spiegel

Dash Kappei said:

Metal Gear Solid x2
Monster Hunter
Ace Combat
Dynasty Warriors
Tekken
Ridge Racer
GTA x2
Burnout
Naruto
Midnight Club
Initial D
Tales of
Sakura Taisen
Megaman x2
Valhalla Knights
Disgaea
Ys
Virtua Tennis
Valkirie Profile
Riviera
Armored Core
Darkstalker
Street Fighter

The fuck? Japan don't give a shit about more than half of that list.

And psp also didn't have plenty of wii games (one piece, resident evil, samurai warriors, tenkaichi games, sengoku basara, we love golf, dragon quest,...).

What's your point?

Yep, and immediately after criticizing anyone doing the same for Wii bombs.

Truth be told, there's reasons these sorts of games tanked on any platform. Hell, even DS and PS2 have long lists of bombs... sure the platform figures to a degree, but there's always more to it than just that.

What? No, like I said before I'm critisizing people who thinks the psp bombas and the wii bombas are any different.

Re-read this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14395191&postcount=218

Dash Kappei

HK-47 said:
A lot of those arent big budget...

Indeed, the argument was also about comparing the 3d party support tied with how that software performed on the first 2 years for Wii/Psp/Ds.

I think my list still stand, Wii (and DS for that matter, again) didn't have certainly a support of that degree in the first two years, not even close.

Dash Kappei

Green Biker Dude said:
There's also the ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers in the list. Darkstalkers was basically a straight arcade port, IIRC. A lot of the games are spinoffs too, like the Metal Gears.

It's funny, because before the PSP had no games. Now it had all the games but failed anyway.

Darkstalkers was a sought after launch title that had the early adopters excited, and SF A3m too would have been lauded as fantastic news for psp owners if it weren't for the d-pad problem exposed by that time (they even tried to correct that with the little pad thingie bundled in). It was portable awesomeness at the time.

Metal Gear: PO isn't a prominent release now? :lol

I've never said PSP had no games at the time (nor I did later but its future/current release list is indeed scarce for my own tastes). In fact until Ds Lite the PSP games library was much more appealing to me than the DS:
So.Stop.Fucking.Generalizing.

Grimmy

Banned
Dash Kappei said:

Metal Gear Solid x2
Monster Hunter
Ace Combat
Dynasty Warriors
Tekken
Ridge Racer
GTA x2
Burnout
Naruto
Midnight Club
Initial D
Tales of
Sakura Taisen
Megaman x2
Valhalla Knights
Disgaea
Ys
Virtua Tennis
Valkirie Profile
Riviera
Armored Core
Darkstalker
Street Fighter

Horrible way to prove your point - a large chunk of games in your list are all ports. Even Monter Hunter games are ports than somehow struck it big on the portable. And as mentioned before, in Japan no one cares about stuff like Burnout or Star Wars.

Oldschool

Spiegel said:
That's the point. PSP bombas are something unacceptable, Wii bombas are no big deal.

Exactly.:lol

Bomba on Wii : "It wasnt advertised properly; low-budget game; It obviously wouldnt sell;"

Bomba on PSP: "PSP doesnt sell games; 3rd parties will bail out soon; They must be disappointed with those sales".

Nowadays PSP doesnt sell games just because just a few sold over 300k. :lol

Oldschool said:
Exactly.:lol

Bomba on Wii : "It wasnt advertised properly; low-budget game; It obviously wouldnt sell;"

Bomba on PSP: "PSP doesnt sell games; 3rd parties will bail out soon; They must be disappointed with those sales".

Nowadays PSP doesnt sell games just because just a few sold over 300k. :lol
Oh crap, you just started it up again! :(

Chumly

Spiegel said:
That's the point. PSP bombas are something unacceptable, Wii bombas are no big deal.
One fun fact. Wii games actually manage to sell outside of Japan. PSP games do not. PSP just managed to sell a LOLTASTIC 3.7 million pieces of software in december.

Spiegel

Chumly said:
One fun fact. Wii games actually manage to sell outside of Japan. PSP games do not. PSP just managed to sell a LOLTASTIC 3.7 million pieces of software in december.

I love random numbers.

If I'm right we'll see more big japanese third party announcements for the psp this year. If I'm wrong we won't, it's that easy.

End of the story

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Ah thanks. :)

It's under the radar perfomance actually kind of mirrors "retroactive successes" on Wii like PES 2008, Family Ski, and Family Trainer. Not bad at all really.
No problem! :)

Ye, some games seems to be able to sell under the radar indeed :) I am looking forward to see the Famitsu and the Media Create Top 500 charts for 2008 to see if some games kept on selling under the radar :)

Chumly said:
Is 3.7 million PSP games sold in December really that LOLTASTIC? I guess you mean in USA by the way? It is much less compared to how many DS games that was sold in December, that is for sure, but i am under the impression that there were hardly any new PSP games out and that there arent really that much shelf space devoted to PSP games, but i could be wrong of course, i havnt really followed the PSP situation that closely. If this is the case, is 3.7 million PSP games sold really that bad?

Zihark

test_account said:

Ye, some games seems to be able to sell under the radar indeed :) I am looking forward to see the Famitsu and the Media Create Top 500 charts for 2008 to see if some games kept on selling under the radar :)

Don't worry none of the games you like sold under the radar :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Zihark said:
Don't worry none of the games you like sold under the radar :)
Which games do i like? I cant really recall that i have mentioned any specific games that i liked in 2008 on NeoGAF before, so please enlighten me :)

test_account said:

Is 3.7 million PSP games sold in December really that LOLTASTIC? I guess you mean in USA by the way? It is much less compared to how many DS games that was sold in December, that is for sure, but i am under the impression that there were hardly any new PSP games out and that there arent really that much shelf space devoted to PSP games, but i could be wrong of course, i havnt really followed the PSP situation that closely. If this is the case, is 3.7 million PSP games sold really that bad?
It's atrocious.

Remember, this is December.

Atreides

test_account said:
Ye, or am i wrong?

True, but even so, it sold one million units of hardware. That means a tie ratio for that month of 3.7 and that is lower than the global tie ratio of PSP in USA. In December.

So if third parties have the intention of selling their games out of Japan too, I think the extremely low software sales of PSP outside of Japan is a big factor.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Durante said:
Talking about under the radar, when will the 2008 Top 500 be made available?

I think that doesn't come out until like June or some other obscenely late date.

Top 100 should be out soon, hopefully next week

donny2112

Spiegel said:
If I'm right we'll see more big japanese third party announcements for the psp this year. If I'm wrong we won't, it's that easy.

o_O PSP has been and should continue to see more "big"-ish announcement for games in Japan. The announcements of said games don't suddenly negate the idea that the expectations for those games (outside of the previously stated exceptions) should probably be 200-300K. Now if PSP comes out and sells a few 400K+ games this year not in the vein of Monster Hunter, you could be on to something. :)

test_account said:
Ye, or am i wrong?

So, essentially, you're asking if it's good that a system known for not selling a lot of software comes out in December and doesn't sell a lot of software, thus meeting expectations?

schuelma said:
I think that doesn't come out until like June or some other obscenely late date.

I want to say sometime between May and August. By then, the only people who will care about it will us amateur trackers. :lol

CrisKre

my god. PSP is being pirated to absurd levels at this point i reckon. Not very attractive prospects for developers to invest on the platform. =[

Spiegel

Atreides said:
True, but even so, it sold one million units of hardware. That means a tie ratio for that month of 3.7 and that is lower than the global tie ratio of PSP in USA. In December.

So if third parties have the intention of selling their games out of Japan too, I think the extremely low software sales of PSP outside of Japan is a big factor.

Do you know how many games were released in the last quarter of the year? I'd say ten times less psp games than wii games. To tell you the truth, I'm surprised it sold almost 4 million.

And now that you have the data, let's see how good those japanese third party games have sold on each console, please.

o_O PSP has been and should continue to see more "big"-ish announcement for games in Japan. The announcements of said games don't suddenly negate the idea that the expectations for those games (outside of the previously stated exceptions) should probably be 200-300K. Now if PSP comes out and sells a few 400K+ games this year not in the vein of Monster Hunter, you could be on to something. :)

What possible ps2-like games would you say that can be announced and can sell more than 400k+ on the psp or the wii?

There must be plenty of them.

And what ps2/budget/effort-like game released on the psp have failed selling that number.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jaded Alyx said:
In afterthought i might not have used the right words here, i am sorry about that. When you first said that the PSP software sales were bad, and then i say that the PSP is the system that doesnt sell software, then i am pretty much confirming what you just said :)

What i ment to say is that the PSP seems to be known as the "system that doesnt sell software", at least that is my understanding. And based on this, when i saw a total software number at 3.7 million games sold, then i think this is not so bad.

I am not saying that the PSP software sales are great, but also looking at the PSP game lineup for 2008 in USA, i dont really see too many big games (big as in "big title"). I think that the biggest PSP game in 2008 was God of War: Chains of Olympus. You did have some other games like Secret Agent Clank, Loco Roco 2 as well, Madden 09, Need for Speed Undercover and Lego Batman, but beside these titles i dont really see any games that have had some big selling potentials, but please correct me if i am missing something.

I would say it pretty much comes down to what we expect the PSP software to be. Personally i dont think 3.7 million PSP games sold in December (even if it is in December which usually is a big month for hardware and software sales) sounded that bad considered how relatively few PSP games that came out in 2008 that has/had the potential to sell well. But as said, please correct me if i am missing something :)

Atreides said:

Indeed, or actually it can be a even lower tie ratio than 3.7 as well since people who bought PSP games in December might already own a PSP :)

Ye, i agree, i am not saying that the PSP software is great in the US, but personally i dont think that 3.7 million PSP games sold in December is really that bad considering the factors that i mentioned to Jaded Alyx above here.

donny2112 said:
So, essentially, you're asking if it's good that a system known for not selling a lot of software comes out in December and doesn't sell a lot of software, thus meeting expectations?
In afterthought i see that i worded myself badly, i think i explained it better to Jaded Alyx above here what i ment :)

This is really not the thread to be discussing US sales, especially since the NPD thread is barely 24 hours old.

And I'm about to go shoot myself for getting involved in this tedious debate.

test_account, godspeed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jaded Alyx said:
This is really not the thread to be discussing US sales, especially since the NPD thread is barely 24 hours old.

And I'm about to go shoot myself for getting involved in this tedious debate.

test_account, godspeed.
Indeed, i was actually thinking of that myself before i wrote my previously post, but instead of posting in the NPD thread about what i ment, i think it was better to post here since this is where we first discussed.

Why are you about to shoot yourself just because i think that the PSP sales werent that bad? I hope that it is ok to discuss thing and disagree without having to get angry at eachother or anything? :\

I dont see if there is to much to debate about in what i just said though? I will just say that i personally dont think that 3.7 million PSP games sold in the US, even in December, is really that "LOLTASTIC". It is not really great, but not really that bad either, at least in my opinion. If anyone wants to disagree, feel free to do so :)

donny2112

Spiegel said:
What possible ps2-like games would you say that can be announced and can sell more than 400k+ on the psp ...?

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php

That's sort of the point. The PSP has had a lot of 400K+ selling PS2 series games brought to it, and, outside of the Monster Hunter/Crisis Core/Dissidia games, none have crossed 400K on the PSP. Thus, I think the expectations should be 200-300K (there have been four games sell 3xxK, including the recent Gundam vs. Gundam, but that is why I said anything over 300K should be looked at as a bonus) for a PSP game to top out at (other than MH/blockbusters). If the PSP were to suddenly come out and have multiple games cross the 400K barrier that aren't in the vein of Monster Hunter, then that would be a good sign that things are changing in Japan, though. :)

Edit:
test_account said:
Ye, i agree, i am not saying that the PSP software is great in the US, but personally i dont think that 3.7 million PSP games sold in December is really that bad considering the factors that i mentioned to Jaded Alyx above here.

Pureauthor has an interesting little saying. If you say the sales aren't bad because of x, y, and z. You are essentially saying that the sales are bad, and x, y, and z are the reasons.

test_account said:
Indeed, i was actually thinking of that myself before i wrote my previously post, but instead of posting in the NPD thread about what i ment, i think it was better to post here since this is where we first discussed.

Why are you going to shoot yourself just because i think that the PSP sales werent that bad? I hope that it is ok to discuss thing and disagree without having to get angry at eachother or anything? :\

I dont see if there is to much to debate about in what i just said though? I will just say that i personally dont think that 3.7 million PSP games sold in the US, even in December, is really that "LOLTASTIC". It is not really great, but not really that bad either, at least in my opinion. If anyone wants to disagree, feel free to do so :)
To clarify, I'm going to shoot myself because I was complaining earlier about this whole PSP software argument in this thread that seemed to have been going on since time began, and yet I somehow found myself involved in it.

Nothing to do with you or your opinion :)

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php

That's sort of the point. The PSP has had a lot of 400K+ selling PS2 series games brought to it, and, outside of the Monster Hunter/Crisis Core/Dissidia games, none have crossed 400K on the PSP. Thus, I think the expectations should be 200-300K (there have been four games sell 3xxK, including the recent Gundam vs. Gundam, but that is why I said anything over 300K should be looked at as a bonus) for a PSP game to top out at (other than MH/blockbusters). If the PSP were to suddenly come out and have multiple games cross the 400K barrier that aren't in the vein of Monster Hunter, then that would be a good sign that things are changing in Japan, though. :)

I love selective quoting

I'm sorry but none of the franchises that have sold 400k or more on the ps2 and have failed to do that on the psp come close to have the budget or the effort of the ps2 games. If you disagree name some of them.

EDIT

I have a psp and I play games. I know what I'm talking about.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
I love selective quoting

I don't love trying to be drawn onto sides of arguments that I don't believe myself. :lol You keep trying to turn this into a Wii vs. PSP debate. I don't believe it is, and so I intentionally avoid the traps you keep laying. :p

Jaded Alyx said:

:(

Weisheit

Spiegel said:
Do you know how many games were released in the last quarter of year x? I'd say ten times less psp/GC/N64/dreamcast/PS3 games than wii/PS2/PS1/DS games. To tell you the truth, I'm surprised it sold almost x million.
Fixed it for you.

Your argument works for every console that has a tough time selling sw. Just as (surprise) consoles that don't have that problem inevitably end up with the largest sw library.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
I don't love trying to be drawn onto sides of arguments that I don't believe myself. :lol You keep trying to turn this into a Wii vs. PSP debate. I don't believe it is, and so I intentionally avoid the traps you keep laying. :p

It's very easy. You just have to tell me what games with a budget/effort comparable to ps2 franchises selling more than 400k have failed doing that on the psp.

But It seems like you have never touched a psp and you know nothing about its games, so it's understandable.

ccbfan

LOL at people trying to argue for PSP sales in a Media Create topic.

I mean wtf, you think you're really gonna convince people?

I mean in this series of threads where People say a side game like

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 241,855 is a smashing success

while a side game like

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Konami 358,277
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus Konami 206,365

are failures

or same games like

Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 Konami 104,654

is a success while

World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008 Konami 174,111

is a failure.

Remember The PSP need PS2 third party numbers to be considered not a failure while Wii only needs to beat GCN numbers to be a smashing success. Well in some cases like TOS 2 it doesn't even have to beat GCN number while a PSP side game like TOW or ports like TOE still needs to new main series PS2 tales games to not be a failure or "Worth Namco investing time in it". As long as your understand this double standard you should be fine.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
You only have to tell me what games with a budget/effort comparable to ps2 franchises selling more than 400k have failed doing that on the psp.

No. I would simply list the franchises that sold over 400K on the PS2, say very correctly that the PSP was set up to be the PS2 in the handheld space by Sony, and that those same franchises did not sell 400K on the PSP, thus indicating that publishers should have lower expectations for the PSP compared to what they saw on the PS2. That wouldn't satisfy you, you'd keep on believing that the PSP will do better than that (which is fine), and try to drag this out longer.

Wii sales mostly stink for core games in Japan.
PSP UMD sales are way under what a primary video game playing device should have for its hardware sales, but that makes perfect sense since the PSP is not a primarily UMD video game playing device (based on the software sales and reports from Japan). Whether they're "bad" or not depends on your definition.

Oh, well. :/

Edit:
Jaded Alyx said:
qweryfnv qlnewue4n89v2p ;fjk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol Sorry. I shan't continue this, at this time. :)

Weisheit

ccbfan said:
As long as your understand this double standard you should be fine.
Yeah, because completely eliminating 1rst party sw from the outset, in a debate (ultimately) about the state of a platforms
sw market is soooo not disingenuous....Nope, not at all.

test_account said:
I will just say that i personally dont think that 3.7 million PSP games sold in the US, even in December, is really that "LOLTASTIC".
It's pretty bad. The PS3 sold almost 6 million units of software in the same month--on a userbase 85% smaller.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
No. I would simply list the franchises that sold over 400K on the PS2, say very correctly that the PSP was set up to be the PS2 in the handheld space by Sony, and that those same franchises did not sell 400K on the PSP, thus indicating that publishers should have lower expectations for the PSP compared to what they saw on the PS2. That wouldn't satisfy you, you'd keep on believing that the PSP will do better than that (which is fine), and try to drag this out longer.

Wii sales mostly stink for core games in Japan.
PSP UMD sales are way under what a primary video game playing device should have for its hardware sales, but that makes perfect sense since the PSP is not a primarily UMD video game playing device (based on the software sales and reports from Japan). Whether they're "bad" or not depends on your definition.

Okay, so you know nothing about psp games. Of course publishers have to lower expectations, no shit, they are making games with a lower budget and slapping a big/spinoff name on it.

For example:

Konami can't expect PES2009 psp selling like PES2008 ps2 because the psp version is a joke: no commentators, one stadium only, months later, no replays,...
Namco can't expect Tales of The World selling like TOtA ps2 because the psp version is a dungeon crawler spinoff.

But you don't seem to understand this. There must be a problem with the psp and its games can't sell more than 300k.

PSP can't be the PS2 portable if publishers don't make ps2-like games. They are making ps2-LITTLE games and that shows in the sales.

S-E gets it
Bandai gets it

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Pureauthor has an interesting little saying. If you say the sales aren't bad because of x, y, and z. You are essentially saying that the sales are bad, and x, y, and z are the reasons.
Ye, that is a correct way to say it, i agree :) But i still think things can be concidered good, or not that bad, taken how the situation is around a thing. I didnt really mean to say something like "Hey, the PSP sales is good because there are no great games that comes out!" and then ignore everything else around the PSP situation (i am not saying that anyone here does that just to underline that, i am only speaking about myself here).

The PSP software sales is definetly not good in the sense compared to how thing actually could have been, or compared to how for example the software sales on the DS is. I just thought that 3.7 million PSP games sold in December really isnt that bad concidered how the game situation is around the PSP in the US (at least i am under the impression that is isnt really that good). I think that things could have been worse around the PSP than how the current situation is. Do you know what i mean? :)

Jaded Alyx said:
To clarify, I'm going to shoot myself because I was complaining earlier about this whole PSP software argument in this thread that seemed to have been going on since time began, and yet I somehow found myself involved in it.

Nothing to do with you or your opinion :)
Ah ok, i thought you were reffering to me, i am sorry for the missunderstanding! :( I try to be as polite as possible when i discuss, so i just wanted to make sure that i didnt say anything that could be understood in another way than what i ment. So i just wanted to explain myself what i ment and ask if i had said something that might have been understood as something "negative" (or what i shall say) against some arguement(s), if you know what i mean?

Thanks for the answer! :)

test_account said:
The PSP software sales is definetly not good in the sense compared to how thing actually could have been, or compared to how for example the software sales on the DS is. I just thought that 3.7 million PSP games sold in December really isnt that bad concidered how the game situation is around the PSP in the US (at least i am under the impression that is isnt really that good).
Well in that case, it's just different comparisons. Calling the PSP software sales "LOLTASTIC" is comparing them to what they should be, given how many PSPs are in people's hands. Calling them "not bad" is comparing them to the history of the PSP, which has always had low software sales. Both are right then.

Top Bottom