• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/05 - 01/11

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Spiegel said:
Konami can't expect PES2009 psp selling like PES2008 ps2 because the psp version is a joke: no commentators, one stadium only, months later, no replays,...

:O

Holy shit that's bad.

cvxfreak

ccbfan said:
I mean in this series of threads where People say a side game like

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 241,855 is a smashing success

People like to call this game a success because it sold 500K more than its 600K expectations.

Spiegel said:
Okay, so you know nothing about Wii games. Of course publishers have to lower expectations, no shit, they are making games with a lower budget and slapping a big/spinoff name on it.

For example:

Konami can't expect PES2008 Wii selling like PES2008 PS2 because the Wii version is a joke: months later...
Namco can't expect Tales of Symphonia: KoR selling like TOtA ps2 because the Wii version is a half-sequel/spinoff.

But you don't seem to understand this. There must be a problem with the Wii and its games can't sell more than 300k.

Wii can't be the new PS2 if publishers don't make ps2-like games. They are making ps2-LITTLE games and that shows in the sales.

Just for shits and giggles...

Grimmy

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
It's pretty bad. The PS3 sold almost 6 million units of software in the same month--on a userbase 85% smaller.

Considering that the PSP had next to no releases in November and December, 3.7 million software is actually quite impressive. Surely those 3.7 million aren't just copies of Need for Speed Undercover or WWW Smackdown vs. Raw?

Grimmy said:
Considering that the PSP had next to no releases in November and December, 3.7 million software is actually quite impressive. Surely those 3.7 million aren't just copies of Need for Speed Undercover or WWW Smackdown vs. Raw?
Well...no...

Top 10 PSP Games

1. PSP MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
2. PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
3. PSP LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
4. PSP MIDNIGHT CLUB: LA REMIX TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
5. PSP STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS
6. PSP IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA
7. PSP NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PSP NBA LIVE 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE

Grimmy

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Well...no...

That's my point. Mot of these games are pretty old. If you look at the 360 or the PS3, most of the games are from the last 2 months of release. Frankly I would have thought the software sales would have been worse. I certainly didn't find much to buy - except for Super Stardust.

Spiegel...

He's saying developers have placed expectations too high for PSP games, not that the platform is incapable of selling that high, but that the history isn't there.

He's not passing judgment on the platform, nor excusing Wii bombs. He's saying developers expect more then the market is going to give them.

They have done the same with a smattering of Wii titles as well. Expecting more then the market was going to give.Know your market, know your sales.

He's really not trying to fight with you, or excuse failures on competing platforms. He's giving you insight into the market today.

And he's right. Aside from a few titles the PSP sells little. Aside from a few titles the Wii sells little.

Dev costs, time spent, and release dates all need to come into this, and I'm sure they do, but right now they seem to expect a PS2 level environment from software that barely comes close to successes on that platform. They expect that with both the PSP and Wii, when the DS seems to be the new home of the PS2 gamer.

test_account

XP-39C²
Liabe Brave said:
Well in that case, it's just different comparisons. Calling the PSP software sales "LOLTASTIC" is comparing them to what they should be, given how many PSPs are in people's hands. Calling them "not bad" is comparing them to the history of the PSP, which has always had low software sales. Both are right then.
Ye, i agree, it is different ways to look at it :) I didnt say he was wrong to say "LOLTASTIC" (i dont claim that you said i did that, just to underline that), i just asked him if he thought that based on the relatively poor game support that the PSP have had in 2008, at least when it comes to many games that has/had the potential to sell alot of copies.

Liabe Brave said:
It's pretty bad. The PS3 sold almost 6 million units of software in the same month--on a userbase 85% smaller.
Indeed, many people have a PSP in the US, so if you look at the PSP install base in the US and compare those numbers to the 3.7 million PSP games that were sold in December, then it might look kinda bad, i agree. But what is the more "correct" (or what i shall say) comparison, to look at the total install base and then on the software sales, or to look at which games and how many games that have come out for the PSP (or any systems for that matter) the last year or so, and then based on this info, to see if the software sale is good, "ok"/decent/expected or bad?

I would say that both of these comparison are valid, so i guess it depends on how you look at it :)

Personally i think that the PS3 have had a more appealing software lineup overall compared to the PSP software lineup in 2008.

HiResDes said:
So no 360 title in the top 50, man that just seems so ridiculous to me, the fact that Microsoft is pouring a crapload of money into the eastern market and yet it seems to all find its way down in the depths of Japan's sewage system.

Aside from their triforce of JRPG's that came out some time ago what else has selling potential?

Pai Pai Master said:

I meant quality wise. (Yes I'm aware that LBP and Resistance but they are the exception).

OldJadedGamer said:
And it was Sega's fault for making it exclusive to only one system. With a niche game, you really need the biggest audience you can get.

Yep. There's a reason why Persona 4 is on the PS2 instead of a current gen console.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Aside from their triforce of JRPG's that came out some time ago what else has selling potential?

I meant quality wise. (Yes I'm aware that LBP and Resistance but they are the exception).

Yep. There's a reason why Persona 4 is on the PS2 instead of a current gen console.

Uncharted, Resistance 1&2, Ratchet, LBP, Folklore, Motorstorm 1&2, GT Prologue. Sony 1st party isnt bad unless you are only focusing on SCEJ.

ALso did you post this in the right thread?

Rolf NB

test_account said:
Ye, i wonder how much money Microsoft has used to get those exclusive (and timed exclusive) RPGs in Japan and how much money they have made on this. I would assume that Microsoft have used money on getting these exclusive RPGs at least, since i cant really see why the games wont come to PS3 as well if Microsoft havnt payed anything for it, but who knows.

Others have probably mention this before me, but i also think that maybe Microsoft is trying to get the Xbox 360 (and perhaps the next Xbox to come as well) to be known for the console where you can get good RPG games, especially in the japanese gaming market.
The biggest benefit to them is not the business they did for themselves, but the business they have prevented. They have tied up all these teams and people for such a long time. Some of them might have built PS3 or multiplatform games (before PS3's trajectory even became what it is now) but they were already occupied with something else.

Meier

Grimmy said:
Considering that the PSP had next to no releases in November and December, 3.7 million software is actually quite impressive.
You have to be kidding, right? What DS game was released in December? Chrono Trigger? Which didn't even chart (I assume it was barely within the sales period or something if that was the case). Those PSP numbers are just plain horrific, there is no 2 ways about it.

But this is completely irrelevant in a Media Create thread.

Grimmy

Banned
HK-47 said:
Well over a million, thats all I remember

SO3 Japan: 533.373
But then, Tales is usually a 500,000+ seller on the PS2, and ToV didn't even crack 200,000

So will be interesting how SO4 will do.

jeremy1456

HK-47 said:
Didnt SO3 sell very well in NA? Like half a million?

I'm pretty sure it did. I remember being surprised to see it do so well.

EDIT: If not I'm pretty sure it was within 100k of it.

HK-47 said:
Uncharted, Resistance 1&2, Ratchet, LBP, Folklore, Motorstorm 1&2, GT Prologue. Sony 1st party isnt bad unless you are only focusing on SCEJ.

ALso did you post this in the right thread?

Well besides the games I mentioned and Uncharted/Ratchet most games can't compare to Nintendo, SEGA, or Microsoft games (IMO), definitely no the N64.

...Personally I don't even know.:lol

jeremy1456 said:
Star Ocean 4 dude.

I meant as of right now.

Syntek

Lightning said:
That excuse doesn't work.... there are over 25million 360's sold in the world.

That 24+ million has an effective purchasing power equivalent to the 800k or so users in Japan when it comes to these games. Regional attach ratio has such a massive disparity that looking at the total global userbase is pointless.

test_account

XP-39C²
Meier said:
You have to be kidding, right? What DS game was released in December? Chrono Trigger? Which didn't even chart (I assume it was barely within the sales period or something if that was the case). Those PSP numbers are just plain horrific, there is no 2 ways about it.

But this is completely irrelevant in a Media Create thread.
I agree that this discussion doesnt quite fit to take place in a Media Create thread, since it is mostly about the sales and the gaming situation in Japan, but i just want to comment alittle on regarding the November and December releases of the DS and the PSP games in the US. Looking at to ToTheGame.com:

DS November 2008 games (49 games)
PSP November 2008 games (5 games)

DS December 2008 games (12 games)
PSP December 2008 games (0 games)

EDIT: I see that you only mentioned December, but since Grimmy mentioned November, i posted the info for that month as well :)

Unfortunately i dont know too much about ToTheGame.com so i dont know if they count every game though. I havnt looked too much through the list of which games that came out either, but the DS software releases are at least much more healthy overall in numbers compared to the PSP games in November and in December. The DS is a monster when it comes to sales :) The same cant be said really be said about the PSP :\

If the PSP software sales were good for what it is in December, i guess it depends on how you look at things. I guess that i can be correct to say that the software sales were bad and not so bad depening on how you look at things :) Personally i think that the PSP software sales number for December in the US can be looked at in more than just one way depending on what factors you take into concideration, but that is just my opinion :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Kagari said:
What's the current LTD on IU and TLR?
Infinite Undiscovery = 96,197

The Last Remnant = 118,842

Famitsu numbers (from Garaph.info).

I guess both will increase abit in numbers when the Famitsu and the Media Create Top 500 lists for 2008 comes out :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Square took a huge bath on TLR. I don't know who took the bath on IU, but that was also huge. Have to imagine Namco did not profit on Vesperia either.

That development strategy will have to end.

cvxfreak

Y2Kev said:
Square took a huge bath on TLR. I don't know who took the bath on IU, but that was also huge. Have to imagine Namco did not profit on Vesperia either.

That development strategy will have to end.

The Xbox 360 is not a good platform for third parties to develop exclusive JRPGs. Plain and simple.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Well besides the games I mentioned and Uncharted/Ratchet most games can't compare to Nintendo, SEGA, or Microsoft games (IMO), definitely no the N64.

...Personally I don't even know.:lol

I meant as of right now.

What the fuck are you talking about? Dont compare?

Talk about selling opinions as facts

cvxfreak said:
The Xbox 360 is not a good platform for third parties to develop exclusive JRPGs. Plain and simple.
Didn't Infinite Undiscovery end up selling more world wide than Radiata Stories (416,000-PS2)?

cvxfreak

SimpleDesign said:
Didn't Infinite Undiscovery end up selling more world wide than Radiata Stories (416,000-PS2)?

Less competition on the 360, bigger development budget for IU, etc.

JRPGs need both HD systems to really do well.

Meier

cvxfreak said:
I think the bigger issue is their quality. If these games were of high quality, they'd have sold better in the West. I have no doubt.

cvxfreak said:
Less competition on the 360, bigger development budget for IU, etc.

JRPGs need both HD systems to really do well.
Infinite Undiscovery was released the same year as Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and The Last Remnant. It also released a month from Fable 2 and Fallout 3.

What was the budget for Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant, I'm interested.

Y2Kev

SimpleDesign said:
I don't think so. IU is sub-100k in Japan and price collapsed in America to half price in a month and can now be had for 9 dollars. I don't think IU sold 150k in EU and NA to beat out Radiata.

As I've said before, Star Ocean 4 is the real test. It's not a new IP. There's real equity in the brand. It's performance in America is almost an entirely separate issue because it will need to shatter what has become an Xbox 360 JRPG glass ceiling to be considered a success really.

Meier said:
I think the bigger issue is their quality. If these games were of high quality, they'd have sold better in the West. I have no doubt.

IU is an absolutely horrible game, but TLR is not.

Y2Kev said:
I don't think so. IU is sub-100k in Japan and price collapsed in America to half price in a month and can now be had for 9 dollars. I don't think IU sold 150k in EU and NA to beat out Radiata.

As I've said before, Star Ocean 4 is the real test. It's not a new IP. There's real equity in the brand. It's performance in America is almost an entirely separate issue because it will need to shatter what has become an Xbox 360 JRPG glass ceiling to be considered a success really.
I remember seeing a chart released by Square Enix or something showing sales of the games released this year, I'm having trouble finding it though. I do remember IU being over 400,000 though.

Y2Kev

SimpleDesign said:
I remember seeing a chart released by Square Enix or something showing sales of the games released this year, I'm having trouble finding it though. I do remember IU being over 400,000 though.

Square claims to have shipped 410,000 copies of IU. More will never be reordered, it will never be restocked (it won't sell another unit past 410,000). It won't, then, outsell Radiata.

Worse, I think, is that Square is probably going to be salting the earth with retailers in the future if they have to stuff channels with crap that isn't going to sell. I don't know what EBGames and walmart have arranged with their distributors, but if I were the buyer, I would not buy 200,000 copies of the next square RPG unless it was a big fuckin' name. And that's really dangerous.

I think this process is considerably more visible in Japan.

Y2Kev said:
Square claims to have shipped 410,000 copies of IU. More will never be reordered, it will never be restocked (it won't sell another unit past 410,000). It won't, then, outsell Radiata.

Worse, I think, is that Square is probably going to be salting the earth with retailers in the future if they have to stuff channels with crap that isn't going to sell. I don't know what EBGames and walmart have arranged with their distributors, but if I were the buyer, I would not buy 200,000 copies of the next square RPG unless it was a big fuckin' name. And that's really dangerous.

I think this process is considerably more visible in Japan.
You mean like Bethesda with Fallout 3 or Namco with Soul Calibur IV?

How much has IU sold in America so far?

Y2Kev

SimpleDesign said:
You mean like Bethesda with Fallout 3 or Namco with Soul Calibur IV?

How much has IU sold in America so far?

Well, Namco certainly did a bang up job with SCIV (and it's very visible if you take a look in the channel in terms of mark downs and deals you can find on it), that's for sure.

We don't have IU sales figures. It never charted.

Y2Kev said:
Well, Namco certainly did a bang up job with SCIV (and it's very visible if you take a look in the channel in terms of mark downs and deals you can find on it), that's for sure.

We don't have IU sales figures. It never charted.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did the same thing with Tales of Vesperia.

Rolf NB

Kagari said:
How much did it sell in the US/EU?
Just FYI Radiata Stories was never released in PAL territories, so you can probably ignore IU's (largely nebulous) EU sales entirely and still have an accurate comparison.

cvxfreak

SimpleDesign said:
Infinite Undiscovery was released the same year as Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and The Last Remnant. It also released a month from Fable 2 and Fallout 3.

Lost Odyssey was 2007 in Japan. Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are also relatively non-factors in Japan.

The PSP, DS and PS2 also see many RPGs hit at similar time periods. 2007 for the DS had FFIV, DQIV and ToI hit for the holidays. In 2004, DQVIII hit a few weeks before Tales of Rebirth.

SimpleDesign said:
Ok so it basically sold as much as Radiata, now does anyone know the budget of it and TLR?
They had to be much higher.

Also, in Japan Radiata Stories sold more than three times as well as Infinite Undiscovery.

freddy

Banned
Well now, there seems to be a huge glut of games with no time and effort put into them this generation, at least according to this thread. Is this a new trend or has it been going on for a lot longer?

Perhaps the developers are intentionally releasing games of low quality and spending a few weeks on development so they will have an excuse when it doesn't sell.

Vinci

Danish
LTTP, but:

schuelma said:
... PowerPro is inexcusable. It was cheaper than the PS2 version and sold less than the 07 version.

It isn't conceivable that the majority of the PowerPro fanbase has remained on the PS2 or that the Wii version, that doesn't take advantage of any of the system's unique values, isn't as appealing naturally? My point is simple: If you want your game to appeal to the Wii audience, you have to make it fit within the philosphy of the core product. Playing the 'it's cheaper' card isn't going to win you any favors when people are already quite happy with the PS2 offering and the Wii version isn't providing any incentive beyond it.

I don't see why this is so difficult to understand. Put motion control in the game, its sales would be far higher. It's like the polar opposite of PES Wii: That game took advantage of what the Wii offered it and it sold because of that. That's where the interest was - seeing a game play uniquely to the console its on, and play well.

Top Bottom