• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get Chrono Trigger for DS?

NewGame

Banned
OP you are playing the best JRPG if anything goes wrong the imperfection lies with you.

Good luck; have fun.

Either play the SNES version on SNES, or Wii for cheap, or get the DS definitive edition with the FMVs, no loading time and additional content.

Might me my favorite game of all time.

Phreak47

You know what's funny, the first two RPGs I ever played were Final Fantasy III/VI, then Chrono Trigger just a short time later. Needless to say, it all seemed downhill from there and I don't really play the genre anymore... but that's nobody's fault. It's just that those happen to be the best two fucking games ever.

Bluth54

I don't really like JRPGS at all but Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time and the DS version is probably the best version.

You know what's funny, the first two RPGs I ever played were Final Fantasy III/VI, then Chrono Trigger just a short time later. Needless to say, it all seemed downhill from there and I don't really play the genre anymore... but that's nobody's fault. It's just that those happen to be the best two fucking games ever.
You should try Dragon Quest V and get one more JRPG. After that, you are probably good to go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
CT is one of my favorite games of all time. I'd say get the DS version. I own the iOS port and it's pretty good. I just don't use it a lot.

The PS1 version is very slow. Stick to the DS or SNES version.

If you buy it brand new you get a fantastic poster too!!!

There's a lot of great JRPGs on PS1: FF7-9 (1-9 are on there, but still), Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar, and Suikoden 2. There's quite a few. I really enjoyed Dragon Quest IV and there is a DS port of that as well. IV,V, VI, and IX are all on NDS. I-III,IV, and VIII are on iOS.

Dragon Quest is a great series if you really enjoyed CT.

Ordered this myself this week after bsing with the PS1 and SNES emulated version for years. Finally going to give it the ol college try and beat it.

Hopefully they do the same with FF6 eventually for the same reasons.

Phreak47

C
There's a lot of great JRPGs on PS1: FF7-9 (1-9 are on there, but still), Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar, and Suikoden 2. There's quite a few. I really enjoyed Dragon Quest IV and there is a DS port of that as well. IV,V, VI, and IX are all on NDS. I-III,IV, and VIII are on iOS.

Dragon Quest is a great series if you really enjoyed CT.

I played FF7 and 8, but haven't finished another FF since. I also remember playing Wild Arms.

These days it's hard to imagine making all the time for any of these anymore, although in reality I waste plenty of time on other things.

Eyothrie

DS version is not the best version if you like high quality audio. There is a noticeable hissing sound in all tracks because of the audio compression. SNES version is the best version.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played FF7 and 8, but haven't finished another FF since. I also remember playing Wild Arms.

These days it's hard to imagine making all the time for any of these anymore, although in reality I waste plenty of time on other things.

Try Vagrant Story. It's easy to pick up and play. I'd recommend Parasite Eve too. They are rather easy to get into in terms of RPG.

You'd be surprised by how much progression you can make.

I wasn't a huge Wild Arms fan at the time. I was more of a Working Designs and Squaresoft fan. CT being one of my all time favorites.

Dot-N-Run

Chrono Trigger for the DS is definitely worth a buy. Also, this might sound heretical but give the touch controls for combat a try. I felt I could input commands for all three characters much faster than when I relied on buttons and never felt the need to slow down the game speed because of it, making all the battles feel fast-paced and smooth.

The DS is the definitive version, but don't do the endgame quest involving the
reptite haven and the mountain
unless it's the last thing you have to do, and don't try it without a guide.

One of the worst side quests in RPG history.

Otherwise, enjoy the music and story, it's quite a ride.

For future reference, GAF, the answer to “Should I play Chrono Trigger” is always YES! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YES. DO IT!!!!!!

…unless they next part of the sentence is “on ios.” That is the only time the answer is no.

The PS1 version was not all that great either...

I dunno that I'd recommend this. It's obviously good, not as BEST GAME EVER as people say it is, but very good.

The thing is, it's also pretty old-school and not really that accessible as a result in 2014. If you're into JRPGs then you'll likely love it, but if you're not, it's probably worth playing something more accessible so that when you come to Chrono Trigger you can really appreciate it for what it is.

I imagine it will be quite frustrating and annoying for many people new to the genre, is all, and their opinions will be poorer for that. I'd recommend it, just not as a starting point.

The Jutty

I dunno that I'd recommend this. It's obviously good, not as BEST GAME EVER as people say it is, but very good.

The thing is, it's also pretty old-school and not really that accessible as a result in 2014. If you're into JRPGs then you'll likely love it, but if you're not, it's probably worth playing something more accessible so that when you come to Chrono Trigger you can really appreciate it for what it is.

I imagine it will be quite frustrating and annoying for many people new to the genre, is all, and their opinions will be poorer for that. I'd recommend it, just not as a starting point.

It was the first I ever played, but I played it on release. If you don't like CT then you probably aren't going to enjoy the genre in general. I've never even came across a CT hater.

BriGuy

I prefer the SNES version due to its proper aspect ratio, superior sound quality, and translation. The DS version is still quite good, but it doesn't have the same soul as the SNES original and the extra content is pretty meaningless. If portability is important, go for it. Otherwise, get it on the VC and Youtube the extra ending.

Three reasons why the SNES version is the better version:

1/ They removed the game's intro in the DS version. CT had one of the most memorable 16-bit intros and the DS version outright removed it. Instead they give you a shitty animu opening.

2/ The DS version has incorrect pixel aspect ratio. Everything is vertically distorted. Here is how the SNES version should look like:

x1Rxvfj.png

On the DS, it looks more like this:

fbcSE5z.png

Yeah, the moon and any other round objects looks egg-shaped. Every sprite looks taller than it should be.

3/ The DS version has an inferior translation. Even the translator admits it isn't a perfect translation. At least the SNES one had charm.

Tom Slattery said:
This was an incredibly difficult project. For starters, I was not nearly as familiar with this game as with the others, to which I had given hundreds of hours of my childhood. On previous projects, I had a much better sense of what was nostalgic in a good way and what was probably best updated. For Chrono Trigger, I had to do a great deal more research.

The project schedule was also extremely tight. I had to move at a pace of 5000-6000 Japanese characters of translation a day, which meant I couldn't do a full retranslation even had I wanted to. There are things I would have liked to have done, like applying Frog's Elizabethan speech patterns to the rest of his time period, but I simply didn't have the time to study up on Elizabethan English and get to a place where I would feel comfortable writing in it. Instead, I had to kill his existing style of speech--knowing some fans would be upset--and go with something closer to what we had used in Tactics so that there would at least be consistency in the way people spoke throughout the Middle Ages.

Time travel, free party formation, and heavy re-use of messages also caused the sort of contextual issues that make a translator want to scream. I was fortunate enough to have awesome localization coordinators who played through the game recording video of all the events for me as I worked; otherwise, I simply would not have been able to get through it. Still, trying to wrap your head around the flow of conversations in the files of that game--not to mention all of the messages that randomly get re-used in multiple places--was not easy.

In the DS additional content he even missed the references to the sequel Chrono Cross in terms of names, places and items, making the extra ending all the more complicated.

Taruranto

The bonus content is like a few high school students went to town on RPG Maker with a generic Chrono Trigger tileset.

Ah, that's pretty accurate.

I think it's made even worse because one can't help but compare it to the "normal" CT sub-quests (which are pretty fucking good).

I'm going to buck the trend and say hell no. Play the DS version if you need a 100% accurate translation, play the SNES version if you want to read dialogue with character. Middle English-speaking Frog beats Noble Samurai Frog any day of the week.

EDIT: Nvm, looks like I'm not the only one who prefers the SNES version. Do the right thing, OP.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I'm going to echo the SNES version as the one to play if you can. And since you are new to the genre, and Final Fantasy has already been mentioned, you should definitely try and play this at some point as well:

1194298420-00.jpg

Phantasy Star IV.

Top-tier stuff right there.

Shouta

What am I even reading here? Chrono Trigger not accessible? *blink blink*

I wasn't a huge fan of the game itself, but it is a good balanced approach of entry into the genre. Just don't get used to the C&C, because its the exception, not the norm.

Wow, I can't even express how much I disagree with this claim.

Chrono Trigger is one of the most progressive JRPGs of its time -- almost every aspect of its design is oriented around making it accessible and enjoyable for a broad audience. Just to start with, it's a pretty easy game -- it'll introduce players to the type of tactical decision-making you use in a JRPG, but the challenge level is low enough to prevent players from getting frustrated and stuck. It has on-screen encounters which are often easier to get used to than random encounters if you're new to the genre.

Characters have special abilities that are easy to understand, yet flashy and cool. The storyline hits many of the JRPG tropes, but does so in a context that's imaginative and clever, and makes use of time travel in a really friendly, comprehensible way. Most of the game is linear enough that you can follow along easily, but at the end it gently opens you up to non-linear sidequesting in a helpful way. It's overflowing with charm, and it's got great visuals and music for anyone open to any type of lo-fi aesthetic.

(This isn't vaguely remembered hazy nostalgia, either, I replayed the game less than a month ago so it's all still super-fresh in my mind.)

I mean, I think if you ask almost anyone who's a seasoned JRPG fan about intro games, Chrono Trigger would almost always be high on their list, so I really just find this a bizarre conclusion.

kswiston

Can you get this on 3DS?

Never played it back in the day...

If it's on DS, you can play it on 3DS (unless Nintendo removed B/C from the newer 3DS models when I wasn't looking). It's not on the eShop if that was what you were asking. You'll have to track down a NDS retail copy.

Personally, I much prefer the SNES version, but considering the price difference, and the fact that you will have nothing to compare it to, the DS version is more than adequate.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If it's on DS, you can play it on 3DS (unless Nintendo removed B/C from the newer 3DS models when I wasn't looking). It's not on the eShop if that was what you were asking. You'll have to track down a NDS retail copy.

Personally, I much prefer the SNES version, but considering the price difference, and the fact that you will have nothing to compare it to, the DS version is more than adequate.

Thanks.

I played the PS1 version on the Vita, and you will absolutely love this game. I've never been a huge RPG fan and I loved Chrono Trigger

Wait, is the Vita version not better then?

Jomjom

Banned
In the DS additional content he even missed the references to the sequel Chrono Cross in terms of names, places and items, making the extra ending all the more complicated.

Ohh first time I've heard of this. What references did Slattery miss with the CC ending?

Top Bottom