• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I did not know about Dualsense + Steam = Big picture mode it just works

peish

I paired the controller to test BG3 using DS, i press the PS button, boom I get big picture mode, and now PC navigates just like a console experience

DS works relatively great for BG3 except the slow running speed, a bit of delay while centering your character with the movement stick.

Playing in controller mode pulls the camera closer and you can appreciate the details, BG3 looks really good with detailed textures and character models.

Klosshufvud

I wonder if you can set it so PC can start with the PS button. Does Big Picture tell you how much battery life the Dualsense got left? Because that's the most irritating part using the controller on my desktop PC.

Roni

Gold Member
Big picture mode was upgraded to have a Steam Deck interface a few months ago.

It is basically turning your PC into a console.

Have windows not ask for a password/pin on load, have steam run automatically and start in big picture mode, and there is your super console.
This. But there are ways of unlocking windows through Steam Link as well...

Ew no, I hate big picture mode. All I need steam for is to press that play button on BG3.

BG3 is pretty decent on controller though, I switch back and forth

El Muerto

Sure wish there's a better Windows driver for the dualsense. With linux the DS driver is built into the kernel, so you just connect the controller over bluetooth and the trackpad immediately works as a mouse and you get battery notifications too. Built a low end gaming rig HTPC w/ Linux for my living room. Use it mainly for emulators and installed the steam link app. It's been a pretty sweet setup.

Midn1ght

The new Big Picture Mode has been awesome for me since the update, I launch most of my game from it with the DualSense.

You have easy access to guides and other Steam features in game by pressing the PS button and the navigation is perfect. Super helpful when hunting for achievements. Screenshots are also easier, just press PS Button + R2 I think. In some games the Mute mic button only is needed for screenshots.

Also a weird thing, in some game the Playstation buttons icons will appear in game only by using Big Picture. If I launch Yakuza 0 from the launcher, it shows the Xbox buttons even if I use the DualSense, but when I launch it from Big Picture, it uses the PlayStation buttons prompt. It's great!

Last edited:

Interfectum

Controllers on pc is a mistake.
bitch slap GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

Have windows not ask for a password/pin on load, have steam run automatically and start in big picture mode, and there is your super console.
News to my ears. I want to go pc next Gen I think.

Once they figure out a way for my pc to turn on with a controller, I will probably jump ship to it

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
News to my ears. I want to go pc next Gen I think.

Once they figure out a way for my pc to turn on with a controller, I will probably jump ship to it
I say this as someone who has attempted this switch multiple times. PC will never, ever be as convenient as console. There will always be instances where you need to use a mouse/keyboard to do something.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my PC, and I recently hooked it up to my gaming TV to play through BG3. There are tons of benefits to PC gaming. But convenience and the simplicity of a console experience is not one of them. (Not to talk you out of trying it, just giving an honest perspective.)

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I say this as someone who has attempted this switch multiple times. PC will never, ever be as convenient as console. There will always be instances where you need to use a mouse/keyboard to do something.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my PC, and I recently hooked it up to my gaming TV to play through BG3. There are tons of benefits to PC gaming. But convenience and the simplicity of a console experience is not one of them. (Not to talk you out of trying it, just giving an honest perspective.)
Oh I 100% agree. I’m ok with some stuff but if it’s easy 95% of the time, I’m good.

Soodanim

Gold Member

This is true, but for every time you have to do something outside of installing and playing, you get to do something outside of installing and playing. Whether that's removing annoying videos that you wouldn't be able to on console, configuring a controller well above and beyond console capabilities, or installing some sort of quality of life upgrade for your game I've found that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. And of course, even the old games you go back and install get some love. There's so many little projects you find for older games that people are making (usually for free, too) that the prospect of giving it up for the sake of true console convenience just isn't strong enough for me. I say that being a huge fan of the strides consoles are making by offering performance modes, which was half the reason I built a PC in the first place.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is true, but for every time you have to do something outside of installing and playing, you get to do something outside of installing and playing. Whether that's removing annoying videos that you wouldn't be able to on console, configuring a controller well above and beyond console capabilities, or installing some sort of quality of life upgrade for your game I've found that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. And of course, even the old games you go back and install get some love. There's so many little projects you find for older games that people are making (usually for free, too) that the prospect of giving it up for the sake of true console convenience just isn't strong enough for me. I say that being a huge fan of the strides consoles are making by offering performance modes, which was half the reason I built a PC in the first place.
I completely agree. PC is a platform where you get as much out of it as you put in.

Admittedly, I don’t have the time or energy anymore to dedicate to enhancing my gaming experience at the expense of time and complication. It’s the same reason I now own an iPhone instead of Android. Definitely not the right move for everyone, but it’s suitable for me (and presumably other aging millennials with little free time 😂)

TrebleShot

Is console peasants are coming over to PC and they are going to hate how much we bastardize their M&K crampfest.

I also launch it with a DS interested how I remove a pin etc v annoying.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I completely agree. PC is a platform where you get as much out of it as you put in.

Admittedly, I don’t have the time or energy anymore to dedicate to enhancing my gaming experience at the expense of time and complication. It’s the same reason I now own an iPhone instead of Android. Definitely not the right move for everyone, but it’s suitable for me (and presumably other aging millennials with little free time 😂)
100%! Despite what I said, I would have a much easier time going back to console now than I would have in the previous gen. I also went over to iPhone (although part of me misses Android, I like useful notifications but that's a different thread)

Dream-Knife

Banned
But you CAN turn it on with a remote, it requires a mod though to be fitted between the power button jumper and the motherboard.
Yeah I didn't think of that.

No, you just jump the pins on the mb. If you made a remote switch that could do that then you'd be fine.

Dacvak

But you CAN turn it on with a remote, it requires a mod though to be fitted between the power button jumper and the motherboard.
This is the most descriptive PC gaming post ever. “It CAN do X, it just requires you do Y.”

Again, not a bad thing. It’s just some of us want X without having to think about Y.

sigmaZ

Indeed. Not too fond of the UI but the controller support is there. I prefer the switch pro controller though. Feels better in my hands. I use an app called reWASD.

This is what I do and it work's really well for me. Sort of annoying when my pc is at my desk, but it's really nice when I have it at the tv.
They already make products like that, some are not that expensive either:
This
or
This
for example
Stuff like this would be nice, but will never work for me since I have an ITX build.

peish

maybe we can use the remote power on(did not know such existence), windows hello fingerprint or face unlock, it may work

a long usb cable for sensor or camera, or how far seeing do windows camera go?

avin

MS needs to add "Xbox mode" to Windows, so you can boot into it with a controller. Seriously. If you're going to make PC the pro console, go all the way.

avin

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Now of only they could allow me remap to other button that isn't the Xbox button to open the menu in Big Picture... I use it for Game Bar since it allows me some actions without leaving my game screen so I don't want to disable it :(

Kataploom

Gold Member

But those stuff aren't even possible on consoles, like modding a game or something else gaming related.

Top Bottom