• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #158 - "Happy Birthday"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangent

Nah, I'm distracted constantly (though usually at work I'm distracted by other work related things. My job seems to be non-stop crisis mode at the moment.). Anything over 2K words in a day is extraordinary for me, and involves being really in the zone or spending a lot of time ignoring my family in the evening : )

Kinda? I usually cycle through a few ideas in search of the one I'm going to write, but I have a fairly good pre-production filter, I guess you might say. I seem to be pretty good at recognizing well ahead of time what will work and won't and almost never actually start writing on something that I won't finish anymore.

I always assume that people like you never get distracted! And sorry to hear about the crises at work. But regardless, 2K a day is pretty awesome. That's NaNo style! And it's pretty great to have a pre-production filter. It can make it easier to start a longer writing piece, too -- with more confidence.

I take the very first idea that pops into my head. Then it can suck all it wants.

*high five*

Most of the time I just start writing not knowing where I'm going. Even when I have an idea, once I'm finished writing I realize I went another direction.
Wow, that's cool. I usually have a rough skeleton but it's cool that you can start writing without knowing AT ALL how a blank page will fill up.

Mike M

Nick N
I always assume that people like you never get distracted! And sorry to hear about the crises at work. But regardless, 2K a day is pretty awesome. That's NaNo style! And it's pretty great to have a pre-production filter. It can make it easier to start a longer writing piece, too -- with more confidence.

In all fairness, I don't actually write 2K words a day most of the time, that's just what I shoot for when I *do* write. Most of my actual creative time is spent revising the 2K words I wrote earlier ; )

Speaking of which...

Bradman
Usual password, 2025 words.

Tangent

In all fairness, I don't actually write 2K words a day most of the time, that's just what I shoot for when I *do* write. Most of my actual creative time is spent revising the 2K words I wrote earlier ; )

Nice. Still, it's just great that you spend so much regular time on this stuff. I have a lot of projects that I think about incessantly. Then I somehow trick myself into thinking that might mean I'm actually working on these projects. But daydreaming is not the same as chipping away.

Anyhoo!

"Birthday Wishes" (1355 words)

Sober

Wow, shit, power outage and bad timing with scrivener and drop box and now I lost my story. This sucks. I was in the middle of typing when the power went out and now the file is just blank despite having saying there's 26,000 characters. :\

edit: wow, no backups cause I did the project in one session and never open/closed it. Fix that for next time. Sucks.

Ashes

Banned
Wow, shit, power outage and bad timing with scrivener and drop box and now I lost my story. This sucks. I was in the middle of typing when the power went out and now the file is just blank despite having saying there's 26,000 characters. :\

edit: wow, no backups cause I did the project in one session and never open/closed it. Fix that for next time. Sucks.

Shit sucks. Write it up now when it's still fresh in the memory.

I think it's good practice to write first drafts or rough drafts in an online word processor, so you lose as little as possible. Google docs is perfect for that. Or alternatively write by hand.

Sober

Nevermind, just realized Dropbox keeps snapshots too from the last 30 days for each save/upload. Thank goooood.

Nezumi

Nice. Still, it's just great that you spend so much regular time on this stuff.I have a lot of projects that I think about incessantly. Then I somehow trick myself into thinking that might mean I'm actually working on these projects. But daydreaming is not the same as chipping away.

That sounds exactly like me...

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I demand an extension because A, i just saw this tread today and 2, today's my birthday! ;p

Thanks guys. I don't write as much as I'd like so I'd sure love to participate in these challenges. Unfortunately I only seem to catch these threads when I see them bumped at the deadline time.

That was exactly when I saw it, haha. I just spat something out in a couple hours.

Nezumi

Votes:

1.) Ashes
2.) Sober
3.) Charade

HM: Croll, timetokill

Comments (1st part):

THLunarian:
The idea and execution are funny. There are a lot of characters in there and sometimes I would get confused as to who was who. I do like the whole concept of having the "roleplaying-reality" mix with the real one.

Chainsawkitten:
Short and funny.

Cyan:
I liked the beginning with the description of the arcade. The inclusion of the secondary did feel a bit forced however.

Zeitgeister:
I feel like I maybe need to know more about the Batman Universe than I do, to understand your story. I was a bit confused by the ending as to who was saying "Hi, Mom" On second read I guess it is supposed to be Harley Quinn's daughter (by the Joker?).

Rock And Roll:
Since Ben Affleck's biography isn't something I'm very knowledgeable about it took me longer to really understand what you were going for here. I did stumble over the whole CIA and "Canadians" part, but couldn't place it until I came to the actual call from Snyder.

Azih:
I found it hard to believe that a journalist would have any real interest in the arrest of a small time criminal just because he has a somewhat funny name.

Mike M:
Sweet slice of life of story.

Tangent:
Something rubbed me the wrong way with this one but for the love of God, I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. I'm sorry for not being more specific :(

Azih

First batch of comments. Probably finish reading on the train ride home and put my ratings in then.

THLunarian - "Happy Birthday, Mike!"
Kinda proud that I know almost all the references in here really well. Also that it's actually a pretty great homage to one of Mike's stories to boot.

Chainsawkitten - "Batman's Birthday"
The alliteration was fun but the story was serving that more than anything else.

Cyan - "Why Don't They Have Arcades Anymore, Those Were Way Cool"
Really liked this one. Made sense that the local arcade whiz kid wouldn't know who the Penguin was and nicely worked in quite a lot of bat jokes too.

Zeitgeister - "the long joke"
Of all the ones I've read, this feels the most like an actual Batman story. It did feel like a first draft but a retrospective of Batman finally going over the edge and his disappearance ironically making Gotham much saner was pretty great. Also the idea that Batman's lack of humour is the only thing keeping him from completely losing it. Harley being the one who actually managed to adjust back to a normal life is actually pretty inspired. Liked it a lot.

Rock And Roll - "Becoming Batman"
Hah, the story didn't make sense until it all started to come together in the end. Affleck's entire film career leading up to that end moment was a really fun twist.

Mike M - "Bradman"
Sweet little story. Kinda wanted something more from the Dad rather than just pulling off a very successful birthday party though.

Tangent - "Birthday Wishes"
Sad story, told well I think. Joel and Carmen felt real and that gives the story its heft.

Charade - "Murcielago"
There's been so many stories of people hunting down Nazi fugitives in South America that I'm sorry to say this felt a little cliche. I don't think the gift of a box without a key from Luke initially quite worked but working in the bats as just another minor crime in Joachim's life was a nice touch. Didn't quite buy Luke putting himself at risk to make some sort of point either.

Sober - "Origin Story"
Brita and Damon's little game was pretty fun. I think Becca's last comment kinda pulled it down though. Was the second 'real' story meant to become just another fiction inspired by Becca or was it the real story? I don't think the ambiguity was pulled off really well.

Ashes - "Servant."
Well this came out of nowhere. Completely not expecting that in the middle of all the batman jokes. Veered between creepy, sweet, and tragic in a short space of time and finally managed to end at a good spot in the middle. I think you really knocked it out of the park.

not sure if it's my place to vote (feel free to ignore them if necessary), but I felt 'the tiniest genie' worked best for me in terms of structure and readability (my reading ability has become extremely weak, and I find it difficult to focus on any book I read, if you're wondering), followed by the 'bat man' and 'servant', though that last one could easily stand alone, which is why I rank it second rather than third. I did like the language of Murcielago as well, and the sentiment of Birthday Boy.

So (imho):

1.) Nezumi
2.) Ashes
3.) Timetokill

Azih

Tapping on phone apologies for brevity.

Little Timmey
Too random for my tastes. Grammatical errors hurt it also.

The Bat Man
Well told story. Ending too mean spirited for me. Unclear if the coach of the Bears was the same as the man's old coach. They talked the same.

Nezumi
Felt very inspired by Arabian Nights tales. Did the style well. The ending was a bit abrupt though.

Votes
1 Ashes
2 Zeitgeister
3 Cyan

HM Mike, Nezumi, Rock and Roll, Charade.

THLunarian - Really liked this one. Enjoyable premise and the D&D references were spot on.

Chainsawkitten - Great alliteration that made me chuckle.

Cyan - Made me nostalgic for arcades. I really liked the idea of Batman being terrible at something.

Zeitgeister - You really nailed Harley's voice. Definitely felt like the most legitimate Batman out of all of them.

Azih - Really good dialogue. The ending was pretty funny too.

Mike M - Great little story with some downright hilarious dialogue. I would honestly consider giving this a first place vote if you didn't win the last challenge. (This is my first time doing this so I have no idea if that kind of thing is kosher).

Tangent - Completely wasn't expecting something this sad given the themes. All in all I would say it was pretty well written.

Charade - Very cool story. Great scenery that I was able to visualize.

Sober - I liked the premise of the story but some of the dialogue felt a bit stiff to me. You do have a pretty good idea that would be great to see fleshed out in the future.

Ashes - This was a great story. Well written with real characters and real emotions. Fantastic work!

FlowerisBritish - I had a couple of laughs but other than that I had a hard time reading this one. The grammatical errors kind of held it down.

timetokill - Always love a good baseball story. You really captured how depressingly unfair that game can be at times.

Nezumi - Great take on a folklore. The idea of a genie being unable to grant one extremely limited wish is something you should definitely explore.

I believe that's everyone.

1) THLurian
2) Charade
3) Cyan

HM: Mike, Ashes, Zeitgeister

You're all pretty damn good writers. I'll be back for the next one and will step my game up!

Mike M

Nick N
Mike M - Great little story with some downright hilarious dialogue. I would honestly consider giving this a first place vote if you didn't win the last challenge. (This is my first time doing this so I have no idea if that kind of thing is kosher)
Use whatever criteria you want, man : )

Mike M

Nick N
ThLunarian: Had me smiling like a loon the whole time, though it really put the lie to the fact that my D&D characters are suuuuuper goofy and cringe worthy when divorced from their context. Plus, if you ever got around to reading the book I gave you, you’d realize just how unoriginal Val really is : P For those that are curious/not understanding of Lunarian’s story: I guess you could say we’re both part of a GAF D&D (Well, technically mostly Pathfinder at this point) troupe over in the barren wastes of the Community Forum. We’ve just completed our second play-by-post campaign, each of which have successfully completed from start to finish with a beginning, middle, ending, and everything. They’ll each run you about as long as novel or so (Though there’s a lot of back channel stuff you can just skip over). Most of these characters were brain children of those expeditions. You can read Quest For the Holy Relics here, and the pseudo-sequel follow-up, Excalibur here. None of it is my finest hour (I didn’t dedicate as much to refining my contributions as I do to Creative Writing Challenge), but some of the characters are among my favorite that I’ve ever conceived of. It’s me reveling in all the high fantasy tropes I usually poo-poo, but it’s also what got me into creative writing to begin with. Some of my guilty pleasure favorite stories that I’ve written are in there, especially if you manage to stick it out to the end of each campaign : P

Chainsawkitten: Man, when you decide to go outside the lines on your presentation, it almost never fails to impress. That is perhaps the most impressive streak of alliteration I’ve ever beheld, calling to mind (though perhaps not quite as impressive a feat) of that time Cyan wrote and entire story without using the letter “e.” I also really dug the photo composite, the B&W is bleak and reminiscent of the Gashlycrumb Tinies for me. Quite suitable for the subject matter, apparently.

Cyan: Fun fact: I went back to my hometown of Fresno, California to attend my cousin’s wedding a couple weeks ago, and the nickel arcade (where you’d pay an entry fee and then all the credits were only 5 cents) was still around! I didn’t have time to actually go inside and see if they were up to date on their games, but I was impressed that they were still around. Hell, I was impressed that many of the establishments were still around, Fresno always seemed on the brink of collapse when I lived there. I thought for sure that the economic crisis would have done them in, but I guess they survived because they were already at rock bottom? But then just this week, my favorite restaurant down there shut their doors. I should have gone while I had the chance : ( Where was I going with this? I don’t even know anymore. Nice usage of “I’m the goddamn Batman” and finding a way to slip in a “My parents are dead!” bitch slap. Very much in keeping with the terrible, awful, execrable “Legends of Batman” source material. You should probably feel some sense of shame about that. Heh.

Zeitgeister: Read all of this with Arleen Sorkin’s voice in my head. That had the curious side-effect of making some of the Joker’s dialog seem a bit more highbrow than he ever got in the cartoon, which is no fault of yours since it was still in keeping with how he gets on in the comics, where Harley exists as well (even though they keep doing their best to ruin her…). The part about the Joker getting upset about Harley stealing his thunder hews a bit close to Mad Love, but the concept of “What does Batman do if there’s no Joker?” is an interesting one that I don’t thiiiiink has been explored that much in the fiction (Despite appearances, I’m a pretty terrible Batman fan who actually reads very little Batman). As a reversal of this premise, there was a story arc some decades ago (I don’t remember what year or what it was called. Terrible Batman fan, remember?) where the Joker thought he had killed Batman and decided he could stop and try and live a normal life. But then it turned out that Batman was just recovering from being nearly killed, and when he came back the Joker was upset that he had to go back to being the Joker again. It was a surprisingly empathetic read, in the end you really felt for Joker’s girlfriend. Wish I could remember what it was called/narrow my Google search to find it, it’s totally worth reading.

Rock and Roll: I jumped on the Creative Writing Challenge train in January of 2012 thinking that it was going to be one of those things I get all excited about, but then get discouraged and quit because I’m not good enough. Now I’m going into the third year of this stuff, and I’ve only had to step out for one challenge in that whole time. This shit’s habit forming : P Anyway, I totally did not see the twist of the identity of the narrator coming (Really should have, given the two Jennifer thing), so that was well played in my book. I think the chronology could have used a little reordering, as you have a whole paragraph summarizing his entire life before moving to California, but then you rewind back to high school and go from there in the next. That was a little disjointed. I was also a bit confused by the litany of jobs he worked; I get that these were his major roles, but the way they’re worded I can’t tell if he’s being delusional and think that they actually occurred (a possibility, given the ending), or if you were just trying to be coy about not letting on that they were in fact movie roles. I didn’t go for the ending, honestly. I thought the framing was clever enough on its own without needing to take a leap that far, no need to oversell it.

Azih: At first I was reading this and thinking, “Wow, this reminds me of the kid who got caned in Singapore for graffiti,” and then you drop the mention of the guy getting caned. I’m not sure where exactly this is supposed to be happening, but that forever left an indelible impression of it being Singapore, so it colored my imagination of the events being described, but then we get the reveal at the end that his name is Arabic (I think?). So I guess this is more likely to be Dubai or something? Dude went on a hell of a bender for his birthday, I’ll say that much! I’m not sure how much the punch line really paid off here, as I never really got the impression that this was supposed to be a comedic piece, and even at the end it didn’t elicit anything more than a smirk from me. A smackhead steals a bank card, robs a snooker den, gets caught in a drug den. These are the sort of things that actually happen, and honestly seem more tragic than funny most of the time. For a comedic piece, I would have appreciated maybe another couple notches of ridiculousness beyond what happened here as the guy keeps upping the ante. Apropos of nothing, this is the second time I’ve heard of this game “Snooker” on GAF in like a week, despite having never actually heard of it before. Weird.

Mike M: This was the subject of a small revelation for me. I brought this to my writing group last week, and we had a new member who used to be an editor for a literary magazine who told me that she liked my style, but would have sent me a polite rejection if I had submitted this because there were no stakes in play, making it more of a vignette than a fleshed out story (I subsequently went back and added the bit about Robin fearing that Brad would not pull it off and ruin Madison’s birthday to at least attempt to mitigate this). I super appreciated this critique, however, because she articulated exactly what had been lurking in the back of my mind that I considered to be a problem with the story, but was unable to figure out on my own. I’ve often found that “slice of life” stories such as this don’t exactly thrill me, and even when they’re well-written they usually don’t get my top vote (there are exceptions of course), and I don’t particularly enjoy writing them that much (again, with exceptions). And I think it’s the fact that there’s usually nothing at stake is exactly why. I enjoy reading and writing funny, snappy dialogue, but if there’s no fail state, there’s no tension. Without tension, all you have is slack that never really goes anywhere. I don’t know if I would say I succeeded in “fixing” the story entirely by bolting on the possibility that Brad might fail, but I think I at least improved it.

Tangent: I tend to agree with Nezumi that there was something about this that rubbed me the wrong way, but I think I’m a little more able to put a name to my pain and it is Batman. Right from the outset, we have a five year old with an au pair having a birthday party with black bean patties. Right off the bat, that paints him as not only coming from money, but preachy vegetarian money, and makes him hard for me to relate to. Granted, the fact that the kid’s parents are obviously well-to-do is no fault of his own, but I was kind of put out of sorts right from the start with that bit. The eventual plight of the mother seems like a shameless ploy to play on our sympathies and make them not appear like heartless monsters for forgetting their kid’s birthday, but if anything had the opposite effect for me and just highlighted how self absorbed and not vested in their child they are. Not that I don’t sympathize with them, but even when the shit is hitting the fan, you keep track of your damn kid. Or at the very least if you can’t be bothered to get in touch with someone you pay to raise your kid for you to tell them that something is wrong and you won’t be home until late, hire one smart enough to figure out how to make an outgoing call if it’s abundantly clear that something is wrong instead of just staring at her phone like a fucktard waiting for you to call them. Candace’s inaction is just baffling and adds to the whole anger pie I’ve got baking at this whole family. Grrr, now I gotta go punch something.

Charade: Technically sound, but perhaps not as much structurally speaking. I found myself wondering why this hermit was so obsessed with conversation while preferring to live as a hermit, but ultimately the revelation of his crime explained that and left me satisfied. What I’m less satisfied with is Luke’s behavior, or at least I am in the absence of larger context. There’s nothing in the story to suggest that he’s anything but a lone operator vigilante Nazi-hunter, which begs the question of what resources were available to him to locate and identify the hermit that had not been available to, say, Israel’s ongoing efforts. Or are we to assume that he was working under the direction of Israeli or other governmental forces? In which case, why on earth would he even allow the opportunity for Joachim to point a gun at him? Why is he alone? Why is he on a kill mission instead of capture and rendition? It’s nice and dramatic, but the second you shine the Batsignal spotlight of logic on it and ask to justify why these events are playing out as they are, it doesn’t hold up well to scrutiny. But the individual components of the dialog, the pacing, the reveal, etc. are good stuff.

Sober: I guess I don’t see what’s so wrong with the actual story of how they met that they couldn’t just tell it straight up? Lord knows it’s a far more interesting story than the one they’re making up about meeting over finding the Zombie Survival Guide in the humor section (is it seriously filed under humor?). The back and forth as they made stuff up was reflective of their original meeting where they were just improving stuff on the fly to impress her ex-boyfriend, but what they were making up was full of the trivial and banal details that make listening to these sorts of stories from people absolutely insufferable to experience. Reminds me of listening to a retelling of something from my sister in law who just forever circles the point and never gets to it, it just drives me batty. In this case, it seems even worse, because there doesn’t seem to be a point to get to. “How did you guys meet?” “We met in a bookstore.” There, question answered, even if you made it up. I don’t care what section. I don’t care what book. I don’t care if they served coffee. I don’t care that you’ve never had the coffee. I don’t care that the coffee is terrible. We’ve already established how you met. Why are you still talking? Why? Oh god, how can I extricate myself from this conversation? *Screams and flings self out the nearest open window.* Now if you want to tell me the story about how you were both faking being in a relationship to get one over on your exes, *that* is something that is interesting and worth elaborating on.

Ashes: Felt weirdly abbreviated to me, which is odd because I reread it and it’s really not. You just seem to cover an awful lot of ground, but not all of it gets equal shrift, so the end result feels like oscillating between time dilation and contraction. When he started going on about how he enjoyed dominating her, I thought we were trending into some sort of enumerated shades of monochrome, but then he realizes that he’s being kind of rapey, pulls up short, and then he’s back in awkward territory. So much building for what felt like no pay off for me; the story ends teetering on a precipice and could fall either way, but we don’t get to find out until the following morning that never comes. But this is probably just me being a speculative fiction guy who’s never satisfied with anything.

FlowersisBritish: Wow, you, uh… You really cranked it all the way up to 11 and then some right out the gate, didn’t you? I feel like this what reading stories about birthdays must be like when you’re hopped up on speed or something. I got the feeling that it was going to go off in a different direction than it did, as I found it evocative of… I’m not sure what you’d call it, but I’m going to go ahead and term it hyper-caffeinated horror? Druggie horror? The sort of setup where someone’s altered perceptions of reality overwrite conventional reality? I was thinking/hoping Man-Bat was some sort of horrible hallucination that was going to kill this strung out little eight year old addict, but that turned out not to be the case. Which is a shame, because I think that left the end result as just an endless string of attempts at shock humor to show how edgy this kid was or something.

timetokill: Oh god, sportsball… My one weakness! Well no, actually I have quite a lot of weaknesses, not least among them cookies and redheads. Anyway… Tonally, I thought this was a bit scattershot. It starts off on kind of an earnest and heartfelt thing, but then when he grabs the bat we deviate into a farcical parody of The Natural for a few moments. Then it levels out and becomes slightly more grounded for a little bit, then it just drops the fact that they won with a callous disregard for Wilbur’s feelings on the matter (though while Azih found that mean-spirited, it got a guffaw out of me). Love the interpretation of the secondary objective, but the implementation primary theme almost seemed like an afterthought.

Nezumi: As per usual, you’ve got the cadence of a fairy tale/fable down pat. The actual story reminds me greatly of an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force where there was a genie that wouldn’t grant any wishes either, or maybe some other story that featured a capering goat : ) I was kind of surprised at the turn this one took towards the end, though, as I didn’t get any sense of motivation from Sosaran during his conversation with Saramun as to why he would undertake what essentially amounted to an elaborate long con to ruin his brother without provocation. Up until that point I thought I was reading something that was going to be wryly comedic or cute, but then it’s suddenly fratricide… Not that I mind violence, it was just… Unexpected for me.

Croll: I e-mail my kid at major milestones and noteworthy events like a goober, so this resonated with me (up until the end, but I’ll get to that in a moment). Course I’ve been a lot more on top of it than once every five years : P The last letter kind of threw me for a loop, though, and I’m not sure how I’m supposed to interpret it. “How is my grandkid doing? Have you decided on a name yet?...When are you gonna bring the little guy over for a visit?” Are we to take it that Jessie has not even shown his father his own kid, but that his kid doesn’t even have a name yet? How often does a baby go without being named for more than, what, a day? So now I’m left where I can’t decide if this is just ungainly writing, or if it’s supposed to be some sort of example about how Jessie and his father have drifted so far apart over the years it’s at the point where Jessie hasn’t even bothered to tell his own father the name of his child. That sort of distance doesn’t just happen naturally without some sort of precipitating event causing such a rift, but there’s no evidence of anything provided here. The prospect of losing my kid to that degree is frankly pretty terrifying.

Ward: Pretty clear from the outset that it’s not going to actually be Batman, what with Batman’s “no killing” code and the highly relevant fact that he recognizes the need to maintain the Bruce Wayne persona to fund his crime fighting shenanigans. I felt lost at the transition to the mental hospital, however; I was unclear if that’s just where he wound up after a while (his justifications for riding a bicycle and not having his cape and all would seem to fit the theory that he actually went and did this sort of thing in the real world), or if it was all a delusion while he was punching out Charlie in the rec room of the mental hospital. Also, he’s pretty clearly violent if he’s punching guys out for playing checkers, which makes the comment that he’s mostly harmless an odd one.

Ward

THLunarian - "Happy Birthday, Mike!"
I like the first sentence as I was determined to find out why there was a character named Dreadstone at a fancy table.
Wood table isn't the best description as I project a rough hewn table. Stained wood or laminate table as the case may be would lend a better description.
I like the concept. I haven't been involved in the threads for a while so I didn't pick up on the characters origins. The restaurant needed more description. It would have been a nice touch if someone familiar with it could have guessed it before you dropped the name. Also, letting me guess it's a restaurant based on the setting description. I assume the characters are in the dark on what the place is so it would be nice for me to guess what it as as they try to determine.
More motion/description to the characters. They are so static. I really want Batman to say "I'm Batman". It just sounds better. And few lines of description could have really fleshed him out, I'm picturing a blank stare, but he's not my creation so who is to say?

Chainsawkitten - "Batman's Birthday"
I like it.

Cyan - "Why Don't They Have Arcades Anymore, Those Were Way Cool"
Great tone. Loved the Batman reveal. Prep time, ha. Batman. Backhand. Thoroughly entertaining.

Zeitgeister - "the long joke"
Most may guess the narrator in the first few lines, I didn't. I like the POV. Maybe it would work better if there were a few POV's from secondary characters. The villains and the vigilantes faded out quietly. Without that, I want some kind of mystery or climax.

Rock And Roll - "Becoming Batman"
Good hook. A confusing jump from college back to high school and then back to post college I assume.
I didn't get it until Canadians from the middle East. Well done. Good ending. You leave it hanging as you should, because we know what will happen.

Azih - "A Good Day"
It's a little wordy. The last line is great, but the runway to get there is long. The transcript was boring, save for the last line. An in the moment recount from the police would have helped- capturing the interrogators movements, the suspect's head hanging low, the buzzing fluorescent lights, and cold steel table..

Mike M - "Bradman"
Keaton from Batman Returns, I like the dialog. A backyard outside as opposed to...?
Dialog done right, you've got movement, the plot is progressing.
I feel like I'm reading your recount of an actual event. Very good writing and dialog.
Tangent - "Birthday Wishes"
The first paragraph doesn't really capture the mind of a five year old. The sitter never figures to make a few calls? Was this a typical occurrence? The story creates a foreboding mood, and it delivers.
I don't like the last sentence. I assume Joel overheard, otherwise what would prompt his response. It just doesn't feel like a five year old's thought.

Charade - "Murcielago"
Joachim doesn't seem like someone who would scurry, maybe his slow steps mask his excitement? A nice twist, I knew one of them was more than he seemed. The second to last sentence, 'free at long last' is a stronger ending, speaking about Joachim and potentially Luke as well.

Sober - "Origin Story"
I really like the concept and tone, though I'm not sure why they need a cover up.

Ashes - "Servant."
It feels almost like stream of consciousness, though it is riveting.

FlowersisBritish - "Lil Timmey"
What a hook. The tone of this is off the chains crazy. Narc, short for narcotics officer. I want to see a video version.

timetokill - "The Bat Man"
The premise is ridiculous and awesome. I like it! Great ending that fit the overall tone perfectly.

Nezumi - "The Tiniest Genie"
A great take of a well worn premise. A great ending as well. A few spelling mistakes. The dialog between the king and brother feels a bit stilted.

Croll - "Birthday Boy"
The transition to email was a nice touch. It's a little short. There needs to be more characterization, I never really get a feel for who they are.

Not sure I've ever had such a hard time voting.

1. Mike M
2. Ashes
3. nezumi
HM: timetokill, Cyan, Rock And Roll, THLunarian, FlowersisBritish

Tangent

These stories are hilarious so far. Though I'm not sure I'm going to get through all of them which means I might not be able to vote.... :-/ I'll keep at it though for now. Sincere thanks for all the feedback.

Update: yyyeeeeaaahh... don't wait up for my votes. I won't be able to read all the stories cuz I just didn't start early enough. :p

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Thank goodness for grace periods. I'm still reading and reviewing!

IKR? I'm trying to get this done before the dreaded storm hits the east coast and i surely lose power. Also i want to write a really depressing story. Too many entrees and all of them are good. I might as well chose my top 3 via dart board.

Sober

Votes:

1. Charade
2. Tangent
3. Mike M

HMs to everyone else, especially all those really absurd Batman-related stories.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
THLunarian- This is pretty funny, and I enjoy the DND rolls. Kinda sells the joke. In terms of tone, it really hits what I think a fun birthday wish should be.

ChainsawKitten- I love the idea of Batman having a really shity birthday. There's just something so funny about it to me.

Cyan- I really liked this, because it had the old nostalgia and craving for arcades within it. I miss arcades D: Anyway there were a bunch of really good lines within it, but I just want to say I really like the line "backwards R made it seem more Russian." I also really liked how Batman can't take being bad at Tetris.

Zeitgester- This felt like a legit Batman story. Something I'd read in a comic. Also, I would totes want to read that comic. That said, i didn't really get the beginning and the ending. I think it's because they were both straightforward, which isn't bad, but the beginning seems like a set up for something I just didn't see. I did like the ending, assuming it was as straightforward as I thought.

Rock and Roll- This was a brilliant set up for one hell of a punch line. I laughed super hard, and then went over to tell my roommate about this story. it was that funny and ending. Good job.

Azih- So I get why the interview is taking place, but a line at the end throws me. I'm assuming the reason this was a big deal was the guys last name, but that just doesn't seem like a story tons of news sites would clamor for. Fun for a short article definitely, but not front page of CNN worthy.

Mike M- The back and forth with the kids was great and had me laughing. The ending was also pretty funny.

Tangent- "They played roshambo... some somersaults after" This was a good line that told me everything I needed to know about those two characters. I liked this, specifically how sad it was, but reading some other criticisms of it, I have to agree that the parents probably wouldn't forget. I do really like the concepts at play, and how sad the ending really was, but was there no time at all in the day to just give a call saying "Happy Birthday?" Did they not buy any presents? You can have the kid be hurt by a lack of parents just as well as them forgetting.

Charade- I love the dialogue here. A++ work. You also had a strong ending that works well with your big twist. Also helps my music synced up perfectly with that moment.

Sober- I really love how down to earth everything was, no more dramatic than everyday life. Just people being people. Good job writing people.

Ashes- At first I didn't like the writing style, but by "Not sexy, is it?" I came around and really did like it. The quick pace really helps give it a kind of translated fell. I also really like how self aware he was, about why he liked her and such. Small thing of note, I get why he'd be suspicious of her, but would he really think she's just using him for money (and be upset) right after he bought her a bunch of sexy bras? I just feel he bounces back and forth between the two mindsets too much.

Time To Kill- I liked the progression of Wilbur, where you learn he's shit, and doesn't really prove to be amazing, but has one really good moment.

Nezumi- This was pretty fun, and I love the idea of this Genie wish. I also love how the guy went mad trying to figure it out. I get where you were going with the ending(and like it) i'm just not a big fan of that ending line. I dunno why?

Croll- Good use of the letters, and how the theme of the story loops back through them.

Ward- Got me thinking of an alternate Batman where Bruce Wayne has a lot less money. Be pretty neat, and I think you kind of have that character down. That said, would a orderly really refer to a guy whose killed some people as "harmless?"

FlowersisBritish(I don't usually respond to comments in post, but why not this time?)

The grammatical errors kind of held it down.

Grammatical errors are just how I roll lol But nah, i get that a lot, and I've been meaning to work on it. Thinking about trying to find a book on rules of grammar and such, but I'm also kind of shit at small editing. Trying to improve, but not with this. This was somethign I wrote in a sleep deprived daze.

I found it evocative of… I’m not sure what you’d call it, but I’m going to go ahead and term it hyper-caffeinated horror? Druggie horror?
I'm going to save that term cause I think it was a good way to describe this story, and gives it more credit than it deserves. I might also revise the ending with that term in mind. Basically, thanks for this neat term I will steal and use constantly now.

What a hook. The tone of this is off the chains crazy. Narc, short for narcotics officer. I want to see a video version.
Thanks. This was kind of supposed to be evocative of "Why does your mom let you eat two wieners" and that crazy 50's era house wife eating ribs and crunking everywhere.

VOTES!

1. Ashes
2. Charade
3. Nezumi

HM: Everyone. All the stories were amazing, and picking the three were super tough.

Feedback

THLunarian
This was cute, even if I felt like I wasn't in on the joke. I could see it being a lot of fun to write while actually rolling the dice for your characters. I'll have to give it a try sometime. It did make me want to play D&D though :( Alas I don't have a group.

Chainsawkitten
I give it a B

Cyan
The tale of two stories, I wish it was one or the other. As it was I felt like the grass was always greener.

Zeitgeister
I don't usually like fanfiction, but I thought this was compelling. I know the characters of Batman just well enough to follow this and want to know more. I've never read the comics, only the self-constained stories like The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween, but I really enjoyed this.

Rock And Roll
This has a great wink and nod to the reader once they figure out what's going on. It sort of retroactively justifies a sort of boring tale up to that realization, but at the same time it seems like a hell of a lot of setup for a joke. Also I actually thought the boy was going to kill his parents at the beginning, but when it came full circle at the end, it for some reason didn't hit home the way I wanted.

Azih
I kept expecting it to turn funny, and then it didn't and seemed very serious. And then it suddenly got funny at the end, but too late and not enough. I liked the dialogue but everything just sort of fell flat, I was hoping there was a bigger "twist" with that kind of setup.

Mike M
Well written as usual! I just wish there was more conflict. It seemed like everything went off pretty much without a hitch. A pleasure to read, regardless. Also, true story: an aunt and uncle of mine had some actors show up as Batman and Joker (Nolan version) to their kid's party, about the 5 or so from this story if I recall. Anyway, the actors were pretty into it, including choreographed fighting in the street. The birthday girl peed herself and locked herself in her room, and several other kids cried in fear. Now THERE's a conflict!

Tangent
Yikes, what a cruel turn of events! I was actually expecting the mom to be pregnant or having miscarried and thus adding to the boy feeling like his parents were forgetting about him. I think what would have made this story work better would've been more hints that maybe the boy didn't want his parents to show up, as opposed to being bothered that they didn't.

Charade
I really enjoyed this, though I found things wrapped up a bit too cleanly for my tastes. He allows the guy to point a gun at him? It just felt strange to me. I thought the story was well written, but like Mike M's, I wish there was a strong conflict earlier in the story, or even an undertone. Maybe it was there and too subtle for me to notice, but the outcome felt so heavy that I would've liked a build up.

Sober
I think I was mostly confused as to why they needed to cover up their actual origin. I thought the premise was interesting but I didn't feel like it delivered.

Ashes
Man, what a captivating read. The punctuation was an interesting choice, and I think a few sentences could have flowed better together instead of being broken up, but I truly enjoyed reading this one. And I'm probably being dense, but I didn't really see the theme much.

FlowersisBritish
whatthefuckamireading.jpg Honestly though, I laughed, and felt like I shouldn't have. Guilty pleasure laughter.

Nezumi
What a great little fable! I love stories like these. I felt like ending with his brother killing him was a little outside ideal, but I'm nitpicking. It just seemed like the brother should have ascended in a more "high-road" manner to fit with the tone. Living with the knowledge of his downfall is a better lesson, to my mind.

-----DEADLINE-----

Croll
More, more, more. There are great little touches here, but it feels somehow too shallow for me to grasp. Great premise and I loved reading it, though.

Ward
Could've used more time in the oven, methinks. Everything was jarring, from the transition to the other POV, to the quickness with which violence is meted out. And then it's suddenly over.

Votes
1. Ashes
2. Nezumi
3. Zeitgeister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom