• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| Jan 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

No Drunken Master 2 on there? Also I've been slowly going through rewatches of Chan's films the past few years and I think Project A is greatly underrated. It has this distinct charm of the brawling choreography that's like an orchestrated sloppiness which is insanely fun.

Well he mentioned Drunken Master 1 and 2 (and Rush Hour) as the only Chan films he saw, that's why i didn't mention them.
I tend to favor Jackie Chan films in a modern setting (for whatever reason) but i really like Project A, too.
I think the painting camouflage scene (i think it's in PA2) for example is a classic Jackie Chan visual comedy moment.

I forgot to include Miracles int here, but to be perfectly honest, i'm not a big fan.
It's one of his movies (like Gorgeous) where the fight scenes really feel out of place.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Well he mentioned Drunken Master 1 and 2 (and Rush Hour) as the only Chan films he saw, that's why i didn't mention them.
I tend to favor Jackie Chan films in a modern setting (for whatever reason) but i really like Project A, too.
I think the painting camouflage scene (i think it's in PA2) for example is a classic Jackie Chan visual comedy moment.

I forgot to include Miracles int here, but to be perfectly honest, i'm not a big fan.
It's one of his movies (like Gorgeous) where the fight scenes really feel out of place.

Whoops. Just read your quote and not his post so I thought it was just the first one. How would you rank Sammo Hung? I honestly have only seen ok films with him in it that wasn't Project A.

UrbanRats

Whoops. Just read your quote and not his post so I thought it was just the first one. How would you rank Sammo Hung? I honestly have only seen ok films with him in it that wasn't Project A.

I haven't seen much of him myself (bar the ones with Jackie in it, like Wheels on Meals and so on).
Off the top of my head, i really liked Millionaires Express, Yes, Madam and Above the Law.
Didn't care for the Lucky Stars trilogy, which is more comedy than action movie.

I need to get back to him, after i'm done with Johnnie To and Sion Sono, at least for his most prominent ones i can find.

big ander

Hitoshii Matsumoto double:
R100: A man signs up for a subscription s&m club where dominatrixes (dominatricies?) will beat him up in day to day life without warning. The acts are mostly him being kicked. Arbitrarily he decides it's gone too far, despite being warned he can't quit mid-subscription, and then the acts ostensibly become more extreme and shockingly hilarious. Ostensibly because the film is empty provocation and comedically shitty and there's nothing challenging to be found. There are scenes in this where a group of producers of the film itself take smoke breaks from the film and talk about how it makes no sense. They are hundreds of times more revolting in their cowardice and facile metacommentary than any of the "unexpected" (but actually it's all expected and stale because we essentially only see the parts where the protagonist is beaten up) subjugation. Especially because the problem isn't that the film makes no sense, it's that it tries to have it both ways: it wants to be an illogical showcase of perverseness for its own sake, while it also disembowels that possibility by attempting inert drama and commentary on reality. An ugly snooze, if it had been actually boundary-pushing it could've been mildly interesting. Instead here's this insecure unfunny unimaginative refuse. 2/10

Symbol: Scenario one: a pickup-driving chain-smoking nun speeds to her family home to give her luchador father (nom de guerre: ESCARGOT MAN) a ride to his big match. Mother and grandpa whisper nervously—his opponents are young and strong, Escargot is visibly getting up in years. But his son believes in him.

Scenario two: a man in colorful pajamas wakes in an empty cool white chamber. No one answers, there are no seams for a door. There's a protrusion on a wall. He presses it, and a cherub floats through the wall. He's poked its penis. Hundreds of cherubs float out, encroaching him, then return inside the walls. Well, all of them except their statuesque dicks. The man presses more dicks, books and toys and furniture and pottery and food shoots out of slots that quickly reseal.

The first situation never goes anywhere noteworthy, eventually being consumed by the second. That second situation, though. Physical comedy galore, creative and playful torture. Akin to watching someone struggle through a puzzle game. Or the most fucked up Pixar short ever. Even when you know what's going to happen it's funny, probably because the lead (played by the director) sells it so well. To wit: nigiri drops to the floor, but the soy sauce dish is empty. Our man presses dicks to no avail—all the sentient room throws at him is more nigiri. He gives in and stuffs his face for minutes, and as soon as he's done? A fresh bottle of soy sauce. As it reaches its conclusion and has its obligatory tie-in with the other narrative the film is burning fumes. Matsumoto spends the last ten-ish minutes foregoing laughs for run-of-the-mill eccentricity. The punchline is partially worth it. 6/10

Pachimari

Man of Steel
Gave it another chance yesterday after having tried to watch it through some months ago. The first time I fell asleep, probably because I were sleepy to start with but also because it seemed overly boring. But I really want to love Man of Steel, because Henry Cavill is perfect as Superman and I like the more grounded tone to it all. Even the actor as Louis Lane is doing good. So I watched it through yesterday, and 1.5 hours in I admit I set it on pause. It was just boring. The cinematography is sublime though. Anyway, I watched it through and the movie picks up 2 hours in, were we get some really cool fight scenes with a real punch. Yes, lot's of buildings gets destroyed and I frankly don't understand why the city aren't mad at Superman. An alright movie, mostly boring.

John Wick
Watched this one today. And woah I love it. Some really cool action scenes and shots, and I love how he makes sure killing everybody. It's beautiful, not convoluted and sublime in execution. And aww that dog. It was so cute that I just knew it was going to die. John Wick is my #2 film of 2014 so far.

I still have to finish Godzilla.

UrbanRats

I haven't seen it yet but We are the Best is supposed to be pretty good and Lukas Moodysson made some great stuff before.

Yeah that i wanted to check out.
I generally like movies with a punk thematic.

Also i loved Lilja 4Ever, but after i read that Mammoth was pretty shitty, at the time i just mentally removed the director from my head, until the trailer for this popped up.

Addi

The imitation game: I was happy that a Norwegian director got an oscar nom., but after watching the movie I disagree with my initial opinion. Cumberbatch was good, but other than that it was a run of the mill biopic that couldn't really decide what to focus on. 2.5/5

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Two days, one night is another Dardenne masterpiece in my book. Not a single camera placement feels wrong, Marion Cotillard is majestic, strikes a great balance between drama and lighthearted moments, as it's life itself, and touches a really important comtemporary theme (the global economical crisis) without having any of the usual bad vs good tropes that is common in so many Hollywood movies, completely subverting expectations during the climatic ending, and yet it manages to bring in more suspense, tension and emotion than in almost everything I've seen in 2014. 9/10

I'd like to add 'The Young Master' to the list of worthwhile Jackie Chan movies. It's kind of a stilted mess thanks to its production history, but if you're prepared for odd pacing (and maybe plan to take an intermission), many of the fights are wonderful.

I'm also not sure how you get from 'Drunken Master' to anything else without going via 'Snake in Eagle's Shadow'!

thenexus6

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

I thought it was really great, not top tier Ghibli but very strong. If it was me it would take the oscar no question.

Ridley327

The Interview was pretty much what I expected it to be: a really dumb, overly long comedy that has enough funny parts and game performances to be worthwhile, but it's not nearly as inspired as the truly deranged This is the End, no matter how many fingers got bitten off in the end.

Jessica Chastain in A Most Violent Year

rs_560x415-141202163616-1024.chastain-most-violent-year.jpg

that is all

Ridley327

I know I should be more distracted with another part of that getup, but that grannie coat she's wearing is all I can look at.

UrbanRats

Maleficent - Yeah, definitely more entertaining than the Huntsman and the thing, even though they used
the same twist Frozen had
so that fell sort of flat.
Visuals (aside from some sketchy, uncanny valley CGi here and there) were really impressive and beautiful, especially when they shoot Maleficent in the dark, lighting only her eyes, in the old fashion manner.
Only thing i really disliked were Sharlto Copley's accent, as usual, the soundtrack being very by the numbers and some annoying literal explanations of what is already apparent on screen.
Like Diaval going "it's a kiss of true love!" well no fucking shit. Or the narrator going "So Maleficent was both evil and good"... i mean that's the whole point of the movie i just saw.
Though i guess it's a movie aimed at childrens/young teens primarily, so it's understandable.

But yeah, pretty entertaining.
Jolie was 10/10 in the role.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
caught Vincent, François, Paul and the Others and drank it up like a fine French wine. One of Sautet's masterpieces indeed, and the cast, expecially Yves Montand, is exceptional. So much elegance, levity, style, fantastic drama disguised as comedy

MikeMyers

Annabelle (John R. Leonetti, 2014)

While the concept is pretty tired at this point, this surprisingly actually did have some good jump scenes. I'm not the type of person who easily gets jumped at horror scenes too. Worth a look if you like horror.

megamerican

The Imitation Game Utter letdown script wise. Everything feels cursory, even skipping over how he designed / built his machine. The movie even felt detached from the war itself. And the framing device was really unnecessary and somewhat distracting. Beyond that the acting is superb across the board. The movie's primary interest seemed to be in his sexuality, which is laudable, but it came at an expense to the story. 5 out of 10

hal9001

Banned
American Sniper
Whatever you're views regarding the controversial subject matter I don't think many can deny that it is a well directed and acted film. Clint manages to capture the nations zeitgeist and produce of one the most actual "American" films of the year. Bradley Cooper gives an astonishing performance I have to say. It is very restrained but packs so much emotion. Also a shout out to the excellent cinematography and sound design that captures the urban war landscape very well . The ending was excellently done even though I knew the outcome as it still hit hard in the way Eastwood chose to close frame it against real footage backdrop.

The Insider
One of Michael Mann most self restrained films. That's not a criticism as it actually works well to produce a tight thriller that is needed for this type of film. Al Pacino and Crowe steal the show with driving performances here.

Grinchy

Banned
Just finished watching St. Vincent.

That was a very good movie. Bill Murray is excellent, and I was shocked to find out that Melissa McCarthy is an actual actor. She's the least funny person to ever get multiple comedic roles, but she was great in this. I hope she never does another comedy for the rest of her life.

Three Colors: White

Didn't post about Blue but I'm quite liking the trilogy thus far. I had more mixed feelings about this one, given Delp's character.
She is humanized more in the end though, and they deserve each other.
The tone of the film also helps.

thenexus6

Princess Mononoke

Why did I wait so long to see this? What an idiot. The only Ghibli films I have not seen available here are Pom Poko and Tales from Earthsea. This was top tier Ghibli can't fault it!

Netflix is about to remove a bunch of the old Bond films so I've been watching them.

Live and Let Die

I had forgotten what a strange mixture of violence, stereotypes, and humor this movie was. It's like every stereotype of black people America has ever had condensed into a single film, dealers to witch doctors. The only other white people in the movie are Roger Moore whose awkward levels are over 9000, some redneck sheriffs, this guy who talks on the phone a lot, and a crazy woman named Solitaire. Once you get over the initial shock of a voodoo lord in a diaper walking around with a rubber snake, you just let go and enjoy the ride.

Lots of good laughs throughout, including the diabolical plan to give away heroine and the winter soldier cameos. It's great because you don't get the impression something was cut or edited out. They just are genuinely throwing as much weird stuff to the wall as they can.

And of course, the boat chase scene is one of the best things to ever be in a Bond film.

FlyingBoat.jpg

RayMaker

Banned
American sniper

Bradley cooper was very good

The film had pretty good pacing, I was on the verge of getting bored but didn't

Made think holy shit soldiers go through so much

Ex machina

intriguing from the start, and the plot had a lot of surprises. I also like how the film at times won't take itself to seriously and has some more fun moments, unexpectedly there were some tence horror themed moments in the film.

The endings on both films leave me some what disappointed opening more questions, rather then concluding a story.

Blader

Three Colors: White

Didn't post about Blue but I'm quite liking the trilogy thus far. I had more mixed feelings about this one, given Delp's character.
She is humanized more in the end though, and they deserve each other.
The tone of the film also helps.

I think the trilogy peaks early with Blue, though I liked Red too. White didn't do a lot for me.

Linius

Whiplash was so much more intense than I expected it to be. Probably the most stressful movie I've seen within the last year, and I love it for that.

That's what I thought. But I just walked out of Birdman and that shit was intense. Very different of course. But what a thrilling ride that was.

Trey

Rain Man

It was well acted, sure. But it was boring. Acting the shit out of a stale role doesn't make the movie any more interesting to me.

Tom Cruise is hilarious throughout. His change of heart was hard to buy.

obin_gam

Just finished John Wick and while it looked good and the fight scenes were fantastic, I dont buy the villains motivation at all. And it should have been a half hour short film and ended at the club.

Finally got around to watching Carlito's Way, which I PVRed back in December. Twice, actually, because a family member deleted it on me while trying to delete The Ellen Show.

Anyways, it was decent overall, but had a really cool/well-done last quarter.

Linius

Birdman

That was one breathtaking experience. With the help of cinematographer Lubezki and a thrilling drum score by Antonio Sanchez I think director Iñárritu really created something special here. Due to choosing to have the film look like it's one long take up close to the cast the movie really manages to absorb it's audience. Constantly tracking the actors on the screen makes you feel like you're a part of it. And I think such a technique can only work if you work with a great cast, which was defenitely the case for Birdman. I can't think of any actor in this movie that wasn't on point. But Micheal Keaton and Edward Norton certainly made the most out of their roles. These two going head to head in several scenes was wonderful to watch.

Besides the technique I also just really enjoyed the story. About a fallen Hollywood star trying to make something of himself again by doing a Broadway project. We get to see Riggan Thompson (Michael Keaton) risking everything to rescue what little of his dignity he got left. For the whole two hours the this film only focusses on everything that's happening in and around the St. James theater. We witness the days leading up to the grand premiere of Thompsons Broadway piece. On the edge of collapsing we see him dealing with personal relations and overcoming troubles surrounding his production. And I'm happy Iñárritu also gave the supportive characters like Riggan's daughter (Emma Stone) some space to develop. Those roof scenes between her and Mike Shiner (Edward Norton) not only learned us things about her character but also adds to Riggan's history. As a story arc of it's own it never gets closure but it defenitely adds emotional depth to the grand scheme of things.

Due to the camera work, soundtrack and acting all supporting each other this was an exceptional piece of film making. I can't wait to see it again on blu-ray later this year.

9/10

Automata (2014)

The synopsis for this film sounded a lot like I, Robot. After seeing it I can at least say it couldn't be further away from that movie. I didn't really enjoy it though. The acting troughout the film was mediocre to poor. Especially Dylan McDermott was pretty bad. On top of that none of the characters were interesting. Combined with very slow pacing it just didn't work well for me. What I did like however was how the film looked. That was pretty well done. I think the concept was quite interesting and could have delivered a good film if it was made by other people. But this just wasn't it.

4/10

Gaf, which movie should I go see this afternoon, Two Days, One Night or A Most Violent Year? I don't know much about either, but I'm in the mood for a good drama. I've only seen Lorna's Silence from the Dardenne's, I dug it. On the other hand, I love Oscar Isaac.

Gaf, which movie should I go see this afternoon, Two Days, One Night or A Most Violent Year? I don't know much about either, but I'm in the mood for a good drama. I've only seen Lorna's Silence from the Dardenne's, I dug it. On the other hand, I love Oscar Isaac.

Two Days, One Night is better, and more exciting. Its almost like a thriller, a ticking clock scenario gives it a urgency that's usual for the Dardennes bros. They make one kind of movie, and they do it very well. And Mario is the biggest star they ever had, and its my favorite female performance of the year.

A Most Violent Year was good, tho. Funny enough, its actually not very violent or conventionally exciting at all. Very orderly, respectable, slowly building tension. Oscar Isaac channeling Godfather Part 2 Michael Corleone something fierce.

Linius

Both are on my watchlist. I'd say, are you in for a character drama or a mob drama. At least, that's what's my impression of what these films are about.

Blader

Both are on my watchlist. I'd say, are you in for a character drama or a mob drama. At least, that's what's my impression of what these films are about.

A Most Violent Year is not a mob drama, it's a...business drama, I guess, or a loan drama.

Linius

A Most Violent Year is not a mob drama, it's a...business drama, I guess, or a loan drama.

Saw the trailer before Birdman today and it certainly gave me mob vibes. Just another reminder to never watch trailers. Too bad I don't see shit in the dark so everytime I go to the cinema I see trailers :p

But based on the cast and the synopsis I was already excited to go see it.

Two Days, One Night is better, and more exciting. Its almost like a thriller, a ticking clock scenario gives it a urgency that's usual for the Dardennes bros. They make one kind of movie, and they do it very well. And Mario is the biggest star they ever had, and its my favorite female performance of the year.

A Most Violent Year was good, tho. Funny enough, its actually not very violent or conventionally exciting at all. Very orderly, respectable, slowly building tension. Oscar Isaac channeling Godfather Part 2 Michael Corleone something fierce.

Thanks for this. I'm gonna see Two Days today, probably catch A Most Violent Year sometime this week.

Blader

Saw the trailer before Birdman today and it certainly gave me mob vibes. Just another reminder to never watch trailers. Too bad I don't see shit in the dark so everytime I go to the cinema I see trailers :p

But based on the cast and the synopsis I was already excited to go see it.

It probably has the most misleading marketing I've seen of a movie in a long time, maybe ever. It's almost nothing like how the trailers or even the title make it out to be.

Linius

It probably has the most misleading marketing I've seen of a movie in a long time, maybe ever. It's almost nothing like how the trailers or even the title make it out to be.

I remember articles about Americans leaving the cinema during Corbijn's The American thinking they'd walked into an action movie. That kind of thing is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom