• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| Jan 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of joking around. It is about as trashy and horrible as Showgirls. Jennifer Jason Leigh is something else though.

His real gems are actually the Dutch language features from the 70s and 80s in my opinion. And somewhat more recently, Black Book from 2006.

UrbanRats

Tangled had great editing and was pretty tight pace-wise as well. My only complaint is that the musical aspect of it could have been cut out and it would have still stood fine as a film but I understand it wouldn't be made otherwise. Having said that, still a wonderful film. Far better made than Frozen as well.

The musical moments are easily the strongest parts of the movie though.
Kingdom Dance and i see the light, in particular.

The thing about Tangled, and i watched some clips yesterday after watching Frozen, just to check, is that it has such an appealing art direction both in terms of color palette and character design, it made it stand out a lot to me, compared to most other 3d animated movies (including Frozen) that blend all together in my head.

Pachimari

Watched Girls Gone Dead. Was such a simple movie which did not take itself seriously. I didn't have a problem watching it but it's obvious this isn't one of those movies who are trying to be the best or memorable in any way. The acting were bad. The plot bad. But I see it more as a "comedy" than horror of course.

Gonna finish The Grand Budapest Hotel today, which I have said for the last couple of days now. I just don't feel like finishing it honestly.

Linius

Watched Girls Gone Dead. Was such a simple movie which did not take itself seriously. I didn't have a problem watching it but it's obvious this isn't one of those movies who are trying to be the best or memorable in any way. The acting were bad. The plot bad. But I see it more as a "comedy" than horror of course.

Gonna finish The Grand Budapest Hotel today, which I have said for the last couple of days now. I just don't feel like finishing it honestly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1884318/

This? That looks awful m8

Sliver

Gangs of Wasseypur- My first ever Bollywood movie, and after this I'm pretty excited to jump into the genre. It's 5 and a half hours, but the pacing is amazing and it goes by really fast for the length. It's a generational crime epic that covers two warring factions over a number of years, and I loved it. My only complaint are some shoddy digital gore effects, but there are hardly any and it doesn't really take you out of it. If you have any interest in gangster movies AT ALL, you need to watch this movie

Inherent Vice was a lot of fun, and I think will be appreciated more as time goes on. Great cast of characters and musical score, and the mystery of the movie is pretty intriuging.

Whiplash was alright, would be nothing without the performance of JK Simmons, dude is fucking scary. I thought some parts came off as goofy when they were trying to be serious, such as some of the solo practice scenes where Miles is pounding on his drums like a cartoon. The ending was pretty good though.

Miami Vice honestly might be my favorite Mann movie at the moment. It's been awhile since I've seen Heat but Miami Vice just did everything right for me. So fucking beautifully shot, and the gun sounds were amazing on my setup. Will probably check out Thief next.

I would love some more Indian movies like Gangs of Wasseypur, if anyone knows any.

My Life - I'd never heard of it, but saw it listed on TMN and was interested in the subject matter.

Michael Keaton did a good job in his role, but the movie wasn't great. It was okay overall.

is5hfqLcCa68a.jpg

Ex Machina

It's January, usually the dumping month for movies. Yet Alex Garland delivers wholeheartedly on a thought-provoking hard and philosophical sci fi movie that I can see being one of my best movies of 2015. It's all about connection, sexuality, deception, sleight of hand, and the truer side of humans when we're unobserved. Kind of like the sci fi version of The Prestige. The top-notch production design, beautiful and tense score, and mindblowing special FX on Ava the android deserve respect. Fans of 70s sci fi, Ghost In The Shell, and trapped princess or Frankenstein narratives should check it out.

UrbanRats

is5hfqLcCa68a.jpg

Ex Machina

It's January, usually the dumping month for movies. Yet Alex Garland delivers wholeheartedly on a thought-provoking hard and philosophical sci fi movie that I can see being one of my best movies of 2015. It's all about connection, sexuality, deception, sleight of hand, and the truer side of humans when we're unobserved. Kind of like the sci fi version of The Prestige. The top-notch production design, beautiful and tense score, and mindblowing special FX on Ava the android deserve respect. Fans of 70s sci fi, Ghost In The Shell, and trapped princess or Frankenstein narratives should check it out.

I'm gonna give this a shot, but i'm very skeptical, because these "sexy android woman" low-ish budget sci fi with the "what does it mean to be human" theme, have disappointed me consistently before (aside from GitS).
Reminds me of that awful Kara David Cage shit, or the similarly laughable "The Machine", more recently.

I'm gonna give this a shot, but i'm very skeptical, because these "sexy android woman" low-ish budget sci fi with the "what does it mean to be human" theme, have disappointed me consistently before (aside from GitS).
Reminds me of that awful Kara David Cage shit, or the similarly laughable "The Machine", more recently.
It's all in the execution as it's not exactly a new concept and I feel he has done it best. It's like if Beyond the Black Rainbow had more than pretty cinematography.

It looks surprisingly high budget. Lots of practical FX, couldn't notice any CGI which is what low-budget sci fi movies go for. Most of the movie is in a small location although there's are outside shots of Norway and a helicopter is used.

Miami Vice honestly might be my favorite Mann movie at the moment. It's been awhile since I've seen Heat but Miami Vice just did everything right for me. So fucking beautifully shot, and the gun sounds were amazing on my setup. Will probably check out Thief next.

I've always thought the ending to MV had the worst shootout sound mix of Mann's movies. I don't know if it's because they had to change the ending or what, but it feels very rushed in execution. The .50 Cal scene towards the beginning had great bass, and the trailer park raid is sharp, but the end is so muted. Blackhat in caparison gets back to Collateral/Heat standards.

faridmon

Watched Whiplash! Last night, I couldn't stop thinking about it. As someone who played the drums, its just felt a very powerful and motivating movie. The main character, while asshole, had his mind only to become that one big thing, which made me appreciate the fact that having many interest just develops you as a person. JK Simmons wias absolutely amazing and I am glad he won the Goldenglobe award. The music was great constantly and as someone who haven't had any interest in Jazz music, this might actually ignite some curiosity in me. Amazing writing, some powerful moments SPOILER
That car crash
and overall some fine music and engaging characters just made it a very great experience.

Also that ending was abrupt. Anyone else thought ''thats it?'' after the credit starting to roll?

Grinchy

Banned
Just watched Gone Girl.

I was expecting a mediocre movie with one of my least favorite people, Ben Affleck. I saw that it had the naked chick from Blurred Lines and Tyler Perry and my expectations hit an even lower low.

Holy shit this movie was fantastic. What a pleasant surprise. The trailer and the synopsis just didn't prepare me for how awesome this would be. Even after it stops hiding what is really going on, things escalate further and further than I ever expected.

Just watched Gone Girl.

I was expecting a mediocre movie with one of my least favorite people, Ben Affleck. I saw that it had the naked chick from Blurred Lines and Tyler Perry and my expectations hit an even lower low.

Holy shit this movie was fantastic. What a pleasant surprise. The trailer and the synopsis just didn't prepare me for how awesome this would be. Even after it stops hiding what is really going on, things escalate further and further than I ever expected.

So you didn't mention David Fincher and thought the movie being good was a "pleasant surprise."

Are you not familiar with or not a fan of David Fincher?

Grinchy

Banned
So you didn't mention David Fincher and thought the movie being good was a "pleasant surprise."

Are you not familiar with or not a fan of David Fincher?

I didn't know anything about the movie, really. I like going in blind on most movies. I don't want to know who is in them, who directed/wrote them, what they are about, ect. I only looked into this one on a superficial level because it had Ben Affleck in it and the last 2 well-liked movies he was in (The Town and Argo) were horrible movies IMO.

obin_gam

is5hfqLcCa68a.jpg

Ex Machina

Did the trailer actually spoil the twist?
Is there a twist even?

I didn't know anything about the movie, really. I like going in blind on most movies. I don't want to know who is in them, who directed/wrote them, what they are about, ect. I only looked into this one on a superficial level because it had Ben Affleck in it and the last 2 well-liked movies he was in (The Town and Argo) were horrible movies IMO.

i thought the town was decent. that ending was awful though. Ben Affleck's best was Gone Baby Gone. If he directs again any time soon I hope it's nothing like his last two.

UrbanRats

It's all in the execution as it's not exactly a new concept and I feel he has done it best. It's like if Beyond the Black Rainbow had more than pretty cinematography.

It looks surprisingly high budget. Lots of practical FX, couldn't notice any CGI which is what low-budget sci fi movies go for. Most of the movie is in a small location although there's are outside shots of Norway and a helicopter is used.

Just to clarify, the FX and general production values aren't what annoyed me in movies like The Machine.
But again, i'll definitely check it out.

Beyond The Black Rainbow also had an amazing soundtrack btw. I mean, it's still not a very good movie, but.........that Sentionaut sequence though. Wish I could've experienced that with a theater sound setup.

UrbanRats

Beyond The Black Rainbow also had an amazing soundtrack btw. I mean, it's still not a very good movie, but.........that Sentionaut sequence though. Wish I could've experienced that with a theater sound setup.

Yeah it's not a good movie, but i really loved it all the same.

The soundtrack is done by Sinoia Caves, btw, if you like it, you should check out the album "the enchanter persuaded".
He was also, in the band Black Mountain, which made a pretty amazing album, "In The Future" as well as a fantastic soundtrack to "Year Zero", a post apocalyptic surfer movie.

Yeah it's not a good movie, but i really loved it all the same.

The soundtrack is done by Sinoia Caves, btw, if you like it, you should check out the album "the enchanter persuaded".
He was also, in the band Black Mountain, which made a pretty amazing album, "In The Future" as well as a fantastic soundtrack to "Year Zero", a post apocalyptic surfer movie.

And suddenly a wild batch of music appears. Noice. Will check all those out, thanks.

Pachimari

Wow I learn something new all the time. I really like Ben Affleck but I thought his directorial debut were with The Town. It turns out it was Gone Baby Gone. Nice.

I watched Superbad last night and it's just incredible. It's super funny and I just can't anything but love this movie. I love Cena, and is that really Seth Rogen!? Oh woah! Emma Stone is in this!!
It's so entertaining and so out there that I couldn't stop laughing.

I also started Godzilla (2014) and were pleasantly surprised that they have been filming in the Philippines and that it is part of the plot, the start at least. Haven't finished it yet.

MikeMyers

Big Fish (Tim Burton, 2003)

Burton's art direction always impresses me, but not much else. I'll have to look into Ed Wood, since that one seems to be his most popular one.

I was not prepared for how stupid Lucy is. It's hilarious how some people were defending it, being all "Yeah yeah, we know the 10% brain usage fact isn't true. It's a movie, just roll with it." when the 10% thing isn't even close to being the dumbest thing that happens in this movie.

Really enjoyed Theory of Everything . Hawking's portrayal was really good, and it had a very optimistic feel thought the entire movie despite all the obvious hardships in the relationship shown.

faridmon

I was not prepared for how stupid Lucy is. It's hilarious how some people were defending it, being all "Yeah yeah, we know the 10% brain usage fact isn't true. It's a movie, just roll with it." when the 10% thing isn't even close to being the dumbest thing that happens in this movie.

Yeah, that ending must have been one of the most WTF ending I have watched in a long time. Such a stupid, short and mindless movie that had no substance whatsoever.

Grinchy

Banned
i thought the town was decent. that ending was awful though. Ben Affleck's best was Gone Baby Gone. If he directs again any time soon I hope it's nothing like his last two.
I agree that Gone Baby Gone was a really good movie. It was why I was so hyped for The Town. Even though I didn't like The Town, I was still very hopeful for Argo because of the cast and the praise it was getting. What a shitty movie it turned out to be. I guess I never hated Ben Affleck as an actor but I was so soured on him after those 2 movies. I thought he was pretty great in Gone Girl, at least.

Yeah I hated that movie and I don't mind the stupid 10% of the brain argument. Limitless was a very good movie despite the stupidity of that premise. Lucy was just a terrible movie.

overcast

Yeah overcast do Manhunter next.
Any idea if this is available to stream anywhere?
Big Fish (Tim Burton, 2003)

Burton's art direction always impresses me, but not much else. I'll have to look into Ed Wood, since that one seems to be his most popular one.
I like Big Fish a decent amount, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I agree that Ed Wood is his best, but I'm not sure it'll be up your alley. Did you like Scissorhands or any other Burton release?
I'm not a Burton fan guys I swear, I'm just checking.
The Town was pretty good, yeah. Better than Argo for sure. Gone Baby Gone is for sure his best by quite a bit imo.

They did put out the soundtrack in 2014, as well, but it's arranged a bit differently than the movie to make it more of an actual album. It's pretty damn good.

Took them long enough. I can finally stop watching Youtube videos of the movie just to hear the music.

thenexus6

Tony Takitani It's one of the only films that I can think of which feels like you're looking through a window at the characters and story take place in front of you. It's pretty cool.

MikeMyers

I like Big Fish a decent amount, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I agree that Ed Wood is his best, but I'm not sure it'll be up your alley. Did you like Scissorhands or any other Burton release?
I'm not a Burton fan guys I swear, I'm just checking.

I was initially going to say something like this:

Tim buttons movies were pretty good up to and including sleepy hollow imo

But looking through his filmography again, I didn't mind Corpse Bride or Sweeney Todd. Besides Ed Wood (since I havent seen it yet to rate it), I'd probably consider Sleepy Hollow his best one.

overcast

Manhunter is on Netflix.
Oh sweet, thanks.
I was initially going to say something like this:

But looking through his filmography again, I didn't mind Corpse Bride or Sweeney Todd. Besides Ed Wood (since I havent seen it yet to rate it), I'd probably consider Sleepy Hollow his best one.
Corpse Bride is okayyy, Big Fish is pretty solid, and Todd is average. Good lord is his 00's output dreadful. I haven't seen Frankenweenie which I heard good things about.

I know I'll probably get someone who thinks I should just quit whining, so I apologize if this is annoying, but I'm upset that there is no theater closer to me than two hours away that is showing Whiplash. I have no way to see a lot of movies of 2014 I need to see, and it's really frustrating that I have to miss out on the better movies of the year because I live in bumfuck nowhere. I don't even know if its still showing anymore. This is so frustrating.

I have no way to see Ex Machina either, and that looks really interesting.

MikeMyers

Corpse Bride is okayyy, Big Fish is pretty solid, and Todd is average. Good lord is his 00's output dreadful. I haven't seen Frankenweenie which I heard good things about.

I haven't seen Frankenweenie, but I agree with you on his 0o's output. I have seen Planet of the Apes/Charlie and the Choclate Factory/Alice in Wonderland, and none of those made a favorably impression for me.

Ridley327

I know I'll probably get someone who thinks I should just quit whining, so I apologize if this is annoying, but I'm upset that there is no theater closer to me than two hours away that is showing Whiplash. I have no way to see a lot of movies of 2014 I need to see, and it's really frustrating that I have to miss out on the better movies of the year because I live in bumfuck nowhere. I don't even know if its still showing anymore. This is so frustrating.

I have no way to see Ex Machina either, and that looks really interesting.

It looks like Sony decided to let it expand out further this weekend, to capitalize on the Oscar hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom