• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 ARG - Missing person

OsirisBlack

Banned
Hhmm, definitely not the retail version. Since he said, ''As I left I wanted to keep playing if that means anything. All of this is based on the build I played. It could change before full release.'' So it might be the psx demo.

Also apparently there is no gore in the version he played so its probably not retail.

Also apparently there is no gore in the version he played so its probably not retail.

His further write-ups seem to imply that it's not the PSX demo though. He talks intro movie, etc...

I wonder if it's just a case where the first 2 hours of the game doesn't give you the weapons that are capable of gore. I mean, the auto-pistol and air-burst rifles don't tear limbs in half, unlike the triple-shotty.

Hanmik

His further write-ups seem to imply that it's not the PSX demo though. He talks intro movie, etc...

I wonder if it's just a case where the first 2 hours of the game doesn't give you the weapons that are capable of gore. I mean, the auto-pistol and air-burst rifles don't tear limbs in half, unlike the triple-shotty.

I played the PSX demo MANY times (I have it on my PS4).. I couldn´t get any gore to work.. no matter how hard I tried..

BraXzy

There's a new post on the site called 'Unravel'. This is a sheet found in Tesla's lab.

tumblr_niskk1EndY1u59b9oo1_1280.jpg

…mpk zmktcl yl azepsvzcp xzu clo ylacpofup, yzgz zcfzup clot gcwz ozmcz. Ul dlx gcwz klozgzwuly dl espcxtep afsvzx, mpk zmktcl yl azcpeyp aczmwpxp t azepsvzcp dl gleczx ezvzx wupel. Fdacvzd ocfrts tdeclztglyul vzul xp actgwlcp, mzwup up ol dp vzynpyectclx yl dlolsyut clo. Gctupoyzdet df acpgpwtvp. Mtwz vzuf actupoyzde ol ul xzrf ozactyupet xzutx dfmzcntxl, ul uf xzclx zdeglctet. Xt dp mzctxz kl dgp….

Not sure what kind of encryption it is.. will have a go at it now :D

BraXzy

Not got anything so far with the random methods I've found online.. looking through the recent posts on the site to try and find a clue as to what method is used.

BraXzy

So do we have any idea what happened to Ian? Just went through the whole site and guys I think Ian might be dead. RIP Ian.

We don't know yet but I'm guessing we will find out soon enough :3

This encryption is doing my head in.. they must've given us a hint at what is needed to crack it somewhere.

BraXzy

Possibly the same code as from the Darwin book?

I don't think so. The darwin book was used in a One-Time-Pad. The encrypted text looked a lot different and was shorter. From what I understand, to decrypt using one time pad, you need a key that is as long as the scrambled text. I did try with the posts text buit didn't work.

There's a new post with some pics btw, heading out for a bit so not had a proper look.

nel e nel

I don't think so. The darwin book was used in a One-Time-Pad. The encrypted text looked a lot different and was shorter. From what I understand, to decrypt using one time pad, you need a key that is as long as the scrambled text. I did try with the posts text buit didn't work.

There's a new post with some pics btw, heading out for a bit so not had a proper look.

Yeah, just tried the Darwin OTP and it was garbage. Maybe 'UNRAVEL' is a clue beyond a directive from Bill?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yeah, just tried the Darwin OTP and it was garbage. Maybe 'UNRAVEL' is a clue beyond a directive from Bill?
I tried Vignere with unravel as the key, nothing.

EDIT: It was Caesar, but the unencrypted text is Croatian

I think i may have solved this puzzle. Running that text through a 15 letter caesar Cipher gives out this.

"bez obzira na potehkore moj rad napreduje, novo oruoje radi vrlo dobro. Ja sam vrlo zadovoljan sa thermite puhkom, bez obzira na poretne probleme i potehkore sa vatrom tokom ljeta. Usprkos drugih istraoivanja koja me privlare, bolje je da se koncentriram na sadahnji rad. Vrijednosti su prevelike. Bilo koju prijednost da ja mogu doprinjeti mojim suborcima, ja ju moram ostvariti. Mi se borimo za sve"

Which, when put into Google Translate, says that it's Croatian (Note that Nikola Telsa was born in Croatia.) and gives out this.

"regardless of potehkore my work progresses, new oruoje works very well. I am very pleased with thermite pühkima, regardless of Poèetna problems and potehkore with fire during the summer. Despite other and investigation that privlare me, it is better to concentrate on sadahnji work. The values are too large. Any Advantage that I can contribute to my comrades, I have to realize it. We are fighting for all"

Which seems to be a somewhat accurate translation. The only problem is that there's a few words that are complete gibberish in both English and Croation. No idea if they are of any significance.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot about this for a sec! Awesome video, and the latest text is interesting. Seems like Tesla's happy about with the Thermite Rifle, but wanted to focus on something else. If only we knew what those other words mean.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Wow nice one! Do you know a bit of Croatian or were you just trying your luck haha?
Someone wrote the solution in the comments. I tried every shift of Caesar, but only speak English :)

The actually thing we solved could have just been the number '15' which could sub for 'IS' in 'This is not the history you know'

byropoint

I tried Vignere with unravel as the key, nothing.

EDIT: It was Caesar, but the unencrypted text is Croatian

Croatian here, let me try --

''Despite all the problems, my work is still progressing, this new weapon works very well. I'm satisfied with the Thermite Gun despite the problems and issues with firing during summer and high temperatures. And even if I'm now interested in other fields of research it's more important for me to concentrate on my current work, there's too much importance and value in it. Any kind of advantage and assistance I can give to my comrades is of paramount importance. We are not fighting only for ourselves, but for everyone.''

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Croatian here, let me try --

''Despite all the problems, my work is still progressing, this new weapon works very well. I'm satisfied with the Thermite Gun despite the problems and issues with firing during summer and high temperatures. And even if I'm now interested in other fields of research it's more important for me to concentrate on my current work, there's too much importance and value in it. Any kind of advantage and assistance I can give to my comrades is of paramount importance. We are not fighting only for ourselves, but for everyone.''

So new type of gun that we haven't seen? Seems like that's the only thing of any importance.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well, something must have finished the lycans half breeds if in the modern day we don't see either them nor the order.

Thanks for the traduction, byropoint.

Oh man, I had a lot of fun with the Sunset Overdrive ARG, I am going to look into the stuff that you guys found later when i get off work. Hopefully i can help!

byropoint

It seems as if he's talking about a "new weapon" and THEN the thermite gun, unless I'm reading it incorrectly.

Ah yeah, I just didn't read it that way, thought he was referring to one weapon multiple times, could be that he's working on a new one and is trying to say that the Thermite Gun is complete but with a few issues.

Well, something must have finished the lycans half breeds if in the modern day we don't see either them nor the order.

Thanks for the traduction, byropoint.
This and the fake news ads feel like they're more "fun secret history" than implying anything about what happens in the game. There are significant technological advances present and known to the public ingame that I find difficult to believe could just be thrown away and forgotten about in slightly over 100 years. The rebels would probably spread as much information as they could, and it does seem like they get their hands on Order weapons as well.

blazeuk

I can do if you want? It's been fairly straight forward so far but there's been a fair amount of bits and bobs.

That'd be great, thanks! I had a quick look through this thread but as always with these ARG's the posts with everything found so far are a lot of help and usually stop people going back over old stuff that's already been found.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This and the fake news ads feel like they're more "fun secret history" than implying anything about what happens in the game. There are significant technological advances present and known to the public ingame that I find difficult to believe could just be thrown away and forgotten about in slightly over 100 years. The rebels would probably spread as much information as they could, and it does seem like they get their hands on Order weapons as well.

Well, we don't know what happens in the game heh. But yeah, I also find hard to believe that the tech would be forgotten that fast, specially since photographs were done already at that time, right?

Or well, something strange happens towards the end of the game. Or the rest of the trilogy or something that they talked once about. Or even the fake news are another universe.

BraXzy

ARG THREAD RECAP

This ARG started off with a tweet by The Order: 1886's official Twitter account. Which provided a link to a mysterious site: theorderexposed.com

The site has been set up by a fellow called Ian, who, in his words:
I started this blog to share what I've discovered: some of the secrets behind the Order of Her Majesty's Royal Knights. A group shrouded in mystery and legend, whose efforts may have implications that reach into the present. This is too big for just one person - please help me expose the truth.

The set up is that Ian found something in his old home in Coventry that belonged to his great grandfather. There had been odd stories and rumours about him that Ian had heard whilst growing up and always dismissed them until he found a strange journal in his great grandfathers chest. Up until recently he has been giving us tidbits that he's found from the Journal, trying to figure out what it all has to do with his great grandfather. Meanwhile we've been doing the same, solving the clues/ciphers and admiring everything involved.

This blog is live and ongoing, each post is dated so you can see when they went up. There seem to be new bits each day. You can also email Ian to try and get some clues, at the minute everyone has received only one (identical) email - Ian.q1985@gmail.com.

We got our first glimpse at the contents of the journal with a picture of the first entry. (The journal and everything since has brilliant production values, hats off to the folks behind this). It sounds like Ian's ggfather was a part of The Order.

We learnt a little more about his great grandfather and the we were given our first puzzle to solve. It was pretty straight forward because they provided the key to decoding it, getting our toes wet gently I suppose! Translation below:

November fifteen,
LH had an urgent conversation with SP in the royal gallery for a quarter hour. LH departed the palace immediately afterwards in a carriage. I was unable to follow.

November sixteen,
SP arrived at three, entering discreetly at Black Rod's garden, where he was greeted by LH and ushered into the royal court drawing room. I did not observe them leaving, however, at quarter five the room was unoccupied.

There was then quite a few posts towards the end of last year mentioning various books that were noted in the journal. Many of which were to do with King Arthur in some way, hinting that perhaps The Order was linked to those old tales.

On January 1st, we got the first post from Ian in which he seemed to think this could go badly for him. In case something happened to him, he left us this post so we could hold the mantle. The scrambled string of letters at the bottom seemed important but we couldn't work out what it meant when first seeing it.

Best wishes to all. Just in case things go pear shaped, I need to know that there’s at least a chance that someone can continue my work. I’ve only just begun but I feel in my heart that this may be a hugely important story. It must not be lost again. Those of you with the mind for this will be able to follow my lead and carry on. First of four.

UcrxtfwvRahfzVuyzwXspgbIsfedXgys

The post after it made mention of a book by Charles Darwin, with the clue OTP 546-14 in the comment about it. And then the next post mentioned a book by Frank Miller, the book itself had to do with a "specific and relevant cipher".

The cipher in question is the "One-Time Pad" cipher. It is considered the only cipher method that can be uncrackable if used correctly. We all quickly noticed that One-Time Pad and OTP in the post prior must have been connected. It took awhile but I eventually realised that the numbers after OTP were related to the Darwin book's page and line.

Basically, when using the 14th line from page 546 in a One Time Pad decryption program against the scrambled string of letters from Jan 1, it spat out 'Not The'..

Code:
NOVEMBEROSCARTANGOTANGOHOTELECHO

It was a week until the next post, which introduces us to Ian's friend Jim, who often helps him out on stuff like this. It sounded like they were getting on to something, and we were promised more soon.

We then got this video from Ian (really well made!), he seemed like he was in a rush and off to do something, we didn't know what though. It turns out, this was the last post we got from Ian.

Hello all – this is Jim writing, I’m an old friend of Ian’s…

I’m posting because he’s been missing for 2 weeks – that video was set to auto­post if he didn’t log in for a certain amount of time.

To be honest I’m getting a little bit worried. It may be nothing – he’s gone off without a word before to chase down a lead. But based on what we discovered, what we experienced… I’m just not sure what to think. If anyone’s heard from him please let me know.

Whatever they found, it was big, and Jim's decided he is going to keep on posting to the blog on Ian's behalf to help find Ian and figure out what's going on.

The next post was a repost of the original entry in the journal. But this time it included what was on the back of the page, another coded message using the key given to us at the start. This one spelt out "There is meaning in the darkness". This was linked to a post a few days later.

There was an armband that they found in the chest too which Jim posted, we aren't sure if it's important or not but it looks pretty cool. It's meant to be a crow on a symbol for the tower of London or something? Or it could be a Lycan who knows. I think we established it isn't a rebel symbol though.

We were then told by Jim to try and email Ian to see if we could get in contact with him. I had already emailed the address when I first found the site. Feel free to try the address yourself and see what comes back! Me and everyone else so far got an email back from him saying:

"Hello,

I’m travelling and will only have sporadic access to my email. I’ll try to get back to you as soon as I’m able.

Cheers,

Ian

2334441531 2433142411 432415424211 4411332234 3443131142 4234321534 541133251515"

Those numbers, when translated with a Square Cipher, turn into "HISTORY" using the NATO phonetic alphabet. We think that all of this is adding up to spell out the tag line of the game which is "Not the history you know".

Next up we got another journal entry posted which showed a map of a part of London near the Thames. There's also what looks like an underground blueprint drawn out, through pipes or something. On the back of the page was an ink covered page. This is where the darkness clue came in because tinkering with the image in Photoshop revealed hidden text.

Code:
Little is known of Tesla but it is said that he creates terrible machines and weapons of great power.
The few who have beheld them say they channel strange forces but I find these opinions without merit.
In my view, Tesla appears to have a most national and scientific disposition. His value to The Order is
clear, his presence in the complex is kept as secret as possible and he is treated with the greatest respect.

Yesterday we got a new post that gave us our second video. This time both Ian and Jim are in the video. They go underground where the map from the journal showed and well.. found some pretty awesome stuff. WATCH IT!

Yesterday we were treated to a bunch of images from the place they found, and the posts keep coming. The production value for all of this stuff is CRAZY! The replicas, the videos, the blueprints.. so so good! Note: Make sure you click the arrows either side of the images on the blog, there are often multiple images and it's easy to miss.

THERMITE RIFLE - ARC GUN - AIRSHIP

Today Jim posted another page from the journal with a bunch of text that was encrypted in some way. It stumped us for awhile because it was a super sneaky one. Not only did it need to be decrypted, it then needed to be translated from Croatian into English! Thanks to Krvavi for the initial translation and to Byropoint for the improved translation.

…mpk zmktcl yl azepsvzcp xzu clo ylacpofup, yzgz zcfzup clot gcwz ozmcz. Ul dlx gcwz klozgzwuly dl espcxtep afsvzx, mpk zmktcl yl azcpeyp aczmwpxp t azepsvzcp dl gleczx ezvzx wupel. Fdacvzd ocfrts tdeclztglyul vzul xp actgwlcp, mzwup up ol dp vzynpyectclx yl dlolsyut clo. Gctupoyzdet df acpgpwtvp. Mtwz vzuf actupoyzde ol ul xzrf ozactyupet xzutx dfmzcntxl, ul uf xzclx zdeglctet. Xt dp mzctxz kl dgp….

Despite all the problems, my work is still progressing, this new weapon works very well. I'm satisfied with the Thermite Gun despite the problems and issues with firing during summer and high temperatures. And even if I'm now interested in other fields of research it's more important for me to concentrate on my current work, there's too much importance and value in it. Any kind of advantage and assistance I can give to my comrades is of paramount importance. We are not fighting only for ourselves, but for everyone.

The most recent post is of a paper clipping from the journal. Jim is wondering what the United India Company has to do with anything. Oh and Ian still has the journal, Jim doesn't have it.

That's where we're at now. This post took a lot longer to put together than I expected haha. Like I said, this ARG and blog is live and ongoing so keep checking back every now and then to see if anything new has cropped up! :)

blazeuk

Thanks a lot BraXzy, really appreciate it! You guys have actually solved quite a bit by the looks of it but strangely it still hasn't seemed to have revealed too much just yet. Love those replicas and blueprints too.

As you say, it seems like it's an ongoing ARG still so a case of waiting on them to post new stuff, I should have plenty of free time in work tomorrow to have a proper look through everything.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I'm gonna guess the United India Company wants to make extra money someway somehow and is fucking with something and it gets the Order involved. Evil corp shit.

BraXzy

Thanks a lot BraXzy, really appreciate it!

Thanks BraXzy! You the MVP, man.

My pleasure :)

Btw, like someone mentioned to me on the blog's comments.. There is an official account replying to the odd comment here and there (within the alternate reality) and it's none other than Jim himself. So keep an eye out on the comments, you never know if we'll get a clue or something from Jim there.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
New post is up. A map

Another find from the complex – an old map of the tube lines. Looks like it’s the Metropolitan Railway line, the original “underground” that went into service around 1863 if I remember (it’s a point of pride for us brits, the first underground in the world and all). We used some of these old tunnels to break into the complex, have to assume they had additional secret access points along the tracks.

tumblr_nit9l3Czjf1u59b9oo1_1280.jpg

BraXzy

Yup, incredible video. I was amazed at the quality of everything in it, really good work. (I want to buy one of those replicas even though I probably have no room for it).

One more post up on the site. Still showing us stuff found in the underground bit.. I hope we get something meaty soon :3

http://theorderexposed.com/post/109252612590/victorian-smartphone-we-found-this-in-teslas

BraXzy

Another new post up. Still nothing meaty

Yeah the past few days have mainly been shots from the place they found still, but I can't blame them. That must have been a lot of work to put it all together so I'd want to show it all off too.

Hopefuly something juicy hits soon, right Jim? :3

Top Bottom