• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

DoomGyver

DuckRacer said:
The problem with the assault class is that it requires absolutely no skill or strategy to be used well. You just press R1 in the general direction of the enemy and they're dead. And when you're finished firing your rockets, you can pick up whatever rifle from your rocketed enemies and become a supersoldier with double the speed and double the health. If an engineer or sniper picks up another weapon, they're basically on the same level as everyone else. That's not the case with the assault class.

The class really should be outright removed because it undermines the basic design of KZ2's MP.
Never play medic again.

TheFatOne said:
I think I'm done playing multiplayer with regular people. It seems like every game has 10 assault classes with rocket launchers. I was playing 10 vs 10 and 8 people had assault two had shotguns. It just isn't any fun like that.

I made a post similar to this a few pages ago. I ran into a few of these types of games in a row and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care whether someone argues that the class is balanced or not, when multiple players are using the class, the game simply is not fun.

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Never play medic again.

:lol :lol

Guess that explains the backstory behind this post from last night..

Full Recovery said:
DON'T REVIVE ME IF ENEMIES ARE STANDING ON MY BALLS FOR FUCKS SAKE!

asdhfk;dszfpasdhfpiadsjfiposdfpioasdjfoiasjdfoiasdjfpoiadfs

Chorazin

I suck with the Engineer class. I have no idea how to utilize the turrets, and I hate the way you have to wait seemingly random intervals to place them.

Any tips from Engineer players?

TheFatOne

Felix Lighter said:
I made a post similar to this a few pages ago. I ran into a few of these types of games in a row and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care whether someone argues that the class is balanced or not, when multiple players are using the class, the game simply is not fun.

If I play a GAF game and multiple people on the other team have the assault class it really isn't an issue. It only really becomes an issue for me when most of the team uses the assault class.

dwin45

Chorazin said:
I suck with the Engineer class. I have no idea how to utilize the turrets, and I hate the way you have to wait seemingly random intervals to place them.

It's not random intervals. If you can't place one, it means that your team already has too many turrets placed. You have to wait for one of them to get destroyed before you can lay a new turret.

A.R.K

DMeisterJ said:
Stats are zero on KZ.com again. sigh.

Seriously Sony/GG needs to hire real web devs to fucking redesign the whole KZ.com. Its fucking slow and flash, ajax heavy as of now and painful to use. There are so many ways to make it more responsive and handle the load. You even have to re-login every time you come back to that site. WTF seriously who designed that shit!!!!! Cookies any one??????

Fucking give me the job and I'll get it done for you SONY!!!!!

sullytao

Finally got a rental copy from Blockbuster. Campaign seems decent though the long encounters in the same area do tend to drag on a little too much for my liking.

The MP also seems really decent but I really wish (and I hate following the flock when I say this) the controls weren't so loose. Its not the turn speed that bothers me its that its really hard to line up a shot (even on an assault rifle). Even when the target is stationary it takes a second or so more than it should to get the green dot on him.

All in all its a good game that I will buy. Just not in the next few months.

Cagen

Chorazin said:

The seemingly random intervals are that each faction is only allowed 4 turrets placed on the map at any one time.

Try to place turrets with the flow of play and not against it or tuck them in corners of rooms which aren't easy to get out of forcing the enemy to be attacked. If you are wanting kills for the ribbon try to stay near the turret to make the fights 2 on 1 and shots from your shot gun from a distance will whittle the enemies health down enough for the turret to finish them off. Also the more you have in one area the better - though don't have them too close as when one explodes it wont take out the other with it, thats if you are able to place more then one.

DoomGyver

Aladuf said:
:lol :lol

Guess that explains the backstory behind this post from last night..
I remember it like it just happened.

Radec academy, 2nd floor in the sniping spot (you know the one between the two spawns with only 1 entrance?)

I'm sniping, someone trips my C4 OKAY, so I pull out my M4 and start to go down the first set of stairs, a Tactician takes me out. Fuck.

I'm laying there on the stairs.

Duckpisser walks RIGHT PAST this tactician, revives me and exits through the door.

I KNOW HE LOOKED AT HIM, you couldn't miss him.

Tactician gets a headshot on me before I can turn around.

Duckpisser leaves unscathed.

Varna

DuckRacer said:
The problem with the assault class is that it requires absolutely no skill or strategy to be used well. You just press R1 in the general direction of the enemy and they're dead. And when you're finished firing your rockets, you can pick up whatever rifle from your rocketed enemies and become a supersoldier with double the speed and double the health. If an engineer or sniper picks up another weapon, they're basically on the same level as everyone else. That's not the case with the assault class.

The class really should be outright removed because it undermines the basic design of KZ2's MP.

Maybe some tweaks would help like...

Slower movement speed (they are suppose to be heavy soldiers).
x1.25 movement speed while boosting.
No rocket or grenade launcher.

But give them some additions in order to balance it out.

More ammo to start with. Access to all weapons except sniper rifles.

Of course there x2 health (which already seems like enough to be honest.).

JB1981

Server going up now. Only going to play for like an hour in order to rank up and then I'm out. Server will stay up for everyone else though. Join the ISA scum.

KZObsessed

Assault Class should use the LMGs instead of the Rocket Launchers. Then only allow the basic Rifleman class to use Rocket Launchers.

Core407

Banned
Full Recovery said:
I remember it like it just happened.

Radec academy, 2nd floor in the sniping spot (you know the one between the two spawns with only 1 entrance?)

I'm sniping, someone trips my C4 OKAY, so I pull out my M4 and start to go down the first set of stairs, a Tactician takes me out. Fuck.

I'm laying there on the stairs.

Duckpisser walks RIGHT PAST this tactician, revives me and exits through the door.

I KNOW HE LOOKED AT HIM, you couldn't miss him.

Tactician gets a headshot on me before I can turn around.

Duckpisser leaves unscathed.

Yeah, I wish there was an option to not be revived.

TheFatOne said:
If I play a GAF game and multiple people on the other team have the assault class it really isn't an issue. It only really becomes an issue for me when most of the team uses the assault class.

I can't come up with a counter for the class other than using assault yourself. There isn't a weakness that any of the other classes can exploit.

TheFatOne

Felix Lighter said:
I can't come up with a counter for the class other than using assault yourself. They're isn't a weakness that any of the other classes can exploit.

The only weakness like I said is low ammo :lol , but once I get boost + saboteur I think I will be all set. They are weak at long distances because you can dodge the rockets. The best way to neutralize the assault class is to just have friendly fire on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
YoungHav said:
Anyone that liked the old controls is entitled to that opinion. I am slightly disappointed in GG for buckling so fast. How big of a problem was it really? Just because fanboys trolled some message boards, they get their wish granted? I didn't find the og controls unresponsive, laggy, etc... just different. It just reeks of "OMG I want this to play more like Cod4 now!" and the fanboys got their wish. If the controls were as bad as some people claimed, the reviews of the game would've reflected this... the game would've got the Lair treatment.

Seriously what's next? Is there going to be a "this game should have Martyrdom perk" movement going on?

The game was practically unplayable for me before the patch. Like I said in my earlier post I would constantly overswing and I just couldn't line my crosshairs up with anything that I wanted to. I would often find myself running into walls as well when trying to look about. It was extremely frustrating, and other than the awesome graphics, sound and atmosphere I wasn't enjoying the game in the slightest.

After the patch with the improved controls, I am able to play the game like normal without having to battle with the controller. As a result the game is definitely easier than before, because now I am not artificially gimped by the aiming controls. Now it feels like I am in control and can focus on playing the game and having a good time. The game quickly shot up to being one of my favorite shooters and I have been putting a lot of hours into it since the patch.

I'm sure there are many more people like me who were simply too frustrated with the controls to get any enjoyment out of the game. I sincerely doubt there is anyone who liked the original controls, but now hates the new controls and as a result stopped playing the game. The improved/modified controls will only win more people over who might have been turned off by the original aiming controls.

Spoo

Okay -- this is control-related, so if you want, you can skip this post. But then again, it's me eating (most) of my words, so those who like the controls as they are now may feel vindicated.

I played more today after suggesting that the changes in the controls were so unneeded that I felt KZ2 lost a lot of what made it KZ2.

I take it back (a little)

The changes aren't as bad as I originally thought. I'm still very dissapointed in GG feeling that they needed to change them even slightly after saying that they wouldn't. Oh well.

I have no problem shooting people. In fact, I'm much better at it now. But I still wish things were the way they originally were. Regardless, I'm not going to trade the game in, or stop playing online like I said I was going to. I admit to be weiner about it.

I also admit to being very drunk last night. Apologies to all I pissed off. But I still maintain it was a bad call.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
TrAcEr_x90 said:
I've unlocked engineer but just can't get inti it. Much prefer medic with assault rifle.

1) Place the turrets in pairs and/or on chokepoints.
2) Go on a rampage with the shotfun.
3) ???
4) Profit.

I've went back to the medic recently though. Need three more ribbons before I get health packs.

DuckRacer said:

I feel the Assault Class takes quite a bit of skill in matches with Friendly Fire turned on. Then you just cannot run around blasting rockets like crazy. I have been playing a great Assault Character, until I got into a room with Friendly Fire on. I really noticed how smart you have to be with the rockets then. I had to completely change my game from what you described, to being very strategic and smart with the rocket.

I normally run with a crew, I was lead the pack, and when we go in a room, I take the lead, fire a rocket in, then move out of the way while my team clears the room while I reload. The Assault class is great for a squad leader who can zoom into an area, fire a rocket, get out while his crew cleans up the rest.

Plus, the rocket launchers reload slow as hell, if you can dodge the first one, you can take an Assault Class out no problem.

PSN ID Filth_Flannigan

Bruce wanted me to post an abridged version of my review/opinion that was so quickly killed lol He may eventually put it into the OP but that's neither here nor there, Enjoy!

Upon starting Killzone 2, very little is demanded of the player. There is no HDD loading, no setting up of profiles or save file slots. There is a gamma adjustment screen you'll need to fuss with, but thats for connivance more then anything. Without watching the Prologue cinema (a crime), it takes all of maybe two or three button presses to begin the game. There is, however, one choice I believe is absolutely vital to make and is not readily apparent to the player. Going into the options menu, selecting display and then de-selecting the HUD option, turns off all non in-game visual details. This means; no ammo counter, way point guides, no objective updates (this can still be found in the objective menu however) and no button prompts for switching weapons, placing explosives etc. It can at first be rather confusing, this setting is at its best when playing for then first time, but the confusion adds to the sense of immersion, something Killzone 2 excels at. Playing the game without a HUD also has factual implications as we see the world through Sev's eyes, not through the eyes of any sort of visor or helmet. Playing HUDless also lends itself into the physics Killzone 2 (as a game). The specific levels of recoil each weapon gives, the weight of Sev as a character, are amplified by the enhanced perception the player has from being completely immersed visually in the game world.

Gameplay

I will confess, here and now, that I am by no means an expert on FPS'. The inner workings of how bullet damage ratios are balanced and where enemy spawn trigger are placed is absolutely lost on me. I will say however that as a mostly exclusive Sony fan, I have played this generation more then my fair share of FPS'. I am now and will always be an RPG gamer at heart, but seeing as there is a drought ( of sorts) on the PS3 for games in that genre, my collection is made mostly of FPS'. F.E.A.R., Resistance, Half-Life, Jericho etc. The gameplay in Killzone 2 isn't anything so new I suppose, eh? There is a cover system that I didn't heavily use and there is some strategy involved in how you approach a gunfight but other then that, simple is simple. I was actually surprised at the number of different "vehicles" you are able to commandeer though. While you never really use them for more then a spawn of five minutes, they have meat to them and are varied enough to stay fresh. Guns kick with realistic recoil (made all the more realistic without the HUD) , they pack a punch when needed and the way to progress through a given chapter is clear and direct. Killzone 2 also employs some very clever use of the Sixaxis control, nothing revolutionary, but definitely clever.

While I'm certain there are those here who are able to break apart every line of code in every A.I. pattern, I am not one of them. My approach to the A.I. is from an immersion stand point, the cross chatter and awareness of the Helghast. The already iconic red eyes aside, the metallic voices, amplified by the now generic British evil empire accent, create a sense of both foreboding and inhumane. I guess that’s a tad redundant seeing as the Helghast are not technically human but I digress.

Plot/Narrative/Story etc.

**SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER** SPOILER**

This is what I wanted to get to. This is what interests me the most and what I feel is the single most overlooked aspect of Killzone 2. For reasons I will never understand, K2's story is described as vapid, cliché and by the numbers and yet, games like Gears of War or Halo (back off Xbots) are given much more leeway in this area. Don't get me wrong, this isn't Tolstoy or anything, but the narrative in Killzone 2 is both fascinating and intricate. I don't need to go into the back story; BruceLee's amazing thread has fantastic cliff notes on the timeline as well as the stories of the previous titles. I've spoken previously about the immersion within Killzone 2, but I'd like to go into a bit more detail. Everything, from the visual fidelity of Helghan, to the intensity of the Helghast plight, draws the player into the struggle. There are those who feel the dialogue in the game is gratuitous and overtly vulgar, I personally do not agree. I’ve known soldiers in all areas of the armed forces and a common trait (among other things) they share is that most of them swear like, well, sailors. They, just like anyone else really, swear when their frustrated, swear when their happy, swear when their sad. While obscenities tend to heighten the intensity of a given situation, they also convey emotions of urgency and panic.

The ISA’s situation on Helghan is terribly bleak, despite their “better” weapons and superior goals and the fact that Sev and the Alpha Team are both frustrated and desperate gives credence to their mostly negative attitude. Again, I’m not one to mince words, this isn’t Oscar quality writing, but what is given sets the tone perfectly. Characters were built well throughout the game and the death of Templar, Garza and Evelyn were definitely a surprising twist. The overarching plot fascinated me, I’d love to be able to discuss, specifically, with GAFers, how they felt the exposition and plot were handled within the game and hopefully this thread can facilitate that.

“A live commander is more valuable to me then a dead hero.”

Visari was a puppet master of the highest caliber and his orchestration of the defense on Helghan was brilliant and his death, I can only assume, fell into his plan. While one can easily understand Rico's frustration, his action will have monstrous consequences. Prepare for unseen consequences indeed eh? I'd argue that in making a martyr out of Visari, Rico (and by extension the ISA) have only made matters worse. BruceLeeRoy made a fantastic statement about the end of the game, the last scene we see:

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yup its just going to get sooo crazy.
That last shot though of Sev knowing their all basically dead and just walking out and sitting on the steps while the fricken star destroyer size battle cruisers stream overhead was just such a chilling excellent conclusion.

An absolutely perfect description. As Sev slowly sits down on the steps of Visari's Palace, knowing all that he has fought and struggled for may now be for naught. You hear other ISA soldiers commenting about how they were certain all of the airships were destroyed, terror coursing through their voices. As the game came into its closing chapters, I was almost sure we wouldn't actually face Visari, let alone see him killed. He might have been short lived in the series, lasting technically only one game, but he made a lasting impression, in my mind, as one of the better villains this generation has seen. The same goes for Colonel Radec, who played a much more active role as an antagonist. He was responsible for the murder of countless ISA as well as directly shooting and killing Evelyn and Templar. I had initially thought he was voiced by Andy Serkis, turns out he wasn't, even so, his actor did a fantastic job. Radec played the physical embodiment of the evil Visari represented and by extension was made just as memorable as the Scholar.

The actual characterization of Visari impressed me as well. Brian Cox's powerful performance aside, Scholar Visari played an almost Andrew Ryan sort of role. Heard, but not seen, physically until the very end of the game and once revealed, an awe inspiring figure. Visari's actions, from detonating the nuke on his own city, to waiting in his palace for the enemy to find him gave the character a tinge of depth I found very impressive.

Fin

Killzone 2 is without a doubt one of the greatest experience in modern gaming. The steam I began this piece with has since subsided. The quality of my writing has since decreased and attempting to put much more in would be useless. Killzone 2 is an experience that all gamers, certainly all of those who own a PS3, need to go through. Through all the hype and conspiracy, a game, unparalleled in graphics and atmosphere, has emerged.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Topher said:
I agree, for those who are turned off by 32 player maps (as I am), just stick to the smaller one. It's a bit masochistic to continue playing them. That's what the filter is for. 9-12 seems to be the sweet spot.

yes yes yes

More people should do this. I want those 32 players matches to disappear so I don't have to wait for my 16 players room to fill.

GG should default search criteria to 16 so that noobs dont end up in a shitstorm rightaway. I've heard too many people/friends complaining about how chaotic it is. And I'm sick to suggest them the obvious.

Finally starting to get better with the Saboteur class. Figured out you aren't supposed to wait, you just open fire as soon as you are close to an enemy. :lol

Just PM'd Full-Recovery, hopefully I'll get a clan invite soon. East coast ftw!

jett

D-Member
Hmm apparently the full soundtrack of Killzone 1 leaked a month or so again...AFAIK it has never been released. This will do nicely for my custom soundtrack during KZ2 MP. :p

DMeisterJ

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
No valor ranks yet...? :(

Nope. And the leaderboards for the week need a massive update. I should be 3500, well in the top 1% for the week, I'm still just outside of the top 1% until it updates.

methane47

TheFatOne said:
That's not true at least for me. More than once I have been killed with one shot from the shotgun at a good distance. I had a little more than half my health when the person shot me from a good distance and killed me.

PLEASE PLEASE NOTE: When you get shot in KZ mp and your screen turns red? When you escape and your screen goes back to normal colors.. That does NOT mean you are back to full health..

Infact you only recover quickly back to half health.. the rest takes a WHILE to get back up..

So when your screen goes back to normal that does not like HALO mean that you are in the clear. Look to the bottom left of your screen for your health meter.

F#A#Oo

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Nope. And the leaderboards for the week need a massive update. I should be 3500, well in the top 1% for the week, I'm still just outside of the top 1% until it updates.

Ah the 1% is not 3500...last I calculated it's roughly around 4500...

So I want to go through this again on Elite, I havent replayed a game in at least 234 years but Im so amazed by this game that I have to beat it again. Is elite...well, EXTREMELY, frustratingly, maddeningly COD4 Vet difficult?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheChillyAcademic said:
So I want to go through this again on Elite, I havent replayed a game in at least 234 years but Im so amazed by this game that I have to beat it again. Is elite...well, EXTREMELY, frustratingly, maddeningly COD4 Vet difficult?

Just the last confrontation. Everything else is pretty doable. You have to change tactics tho.

beast786 said:
Finally

Just platinumed KZ2
*\0/*

Congrats ;)

Edit: am I the only one getting -988 error when I try to log in?

DMeisterJ

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Ah the 1% is not 3500...last I calculated it's roughly around 4500...

Oh, I know, that's where I am, the 1% is like 4445 or something like that. But it has me at 4596 with 5690 points this week, when really the 5690 points is actually somewhere around 3500, but right now I'm just outside the 1% at 4596. They better not fuck me over with my 1% thingy this week or I'm going to go crazzy.

Top Bottom