• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 details changes in Halo 5: Guardians after multiplayer beta feedback

Derpyduck

Banned
A super soldier should be able to constantly run at full speed without compromising his ability to aim his gun and shoot. AKA - what the older games did right

That's not true at all. That's like saying a race car should only go one speed despite curves. There's a reason to go slow, and there's reasons to sprint. This insane clinging to the notion that just because the old games did it one way that it should only be that way is nuts. Props to 343 for being bright enough to acknowledge that.

Welfare

Or 11% are stuck in the past. I like both varieties, but the inability of people to accept that the game has to evolve baffles me. 343 has correctly realized that if they tried to sell a Halo game that doesn't incorporate popular features that the general public expects in a shooter, that they will not be able to sell enough copies of the game to make a profit. Be happy that you have an avenue to turn off sprint. My guess is that the sprintless playlist will have some of the lowest player counts of all the playlists.

Explain to me how sprint is an evolution to Halo's gameplay?

Go on. Do it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Agree, custom games are nice and all but I've probably spend less than 1% of my Halo playtime in custom games.

Give us an option to play multiplayer without all the spartan perks.. uhmm abilities, sprint and ADS.
The Halo fanbase is so splintered in their preferences that, at this point, the only system that could really satisfy them all is to have a server browser. Just like Battlefield. People could specify what game type, map, and settings they want. That way everyone can be satisfied: you can find sprint, no sprint, tournament settings, all Spartan Abilities removed, random Forge minigames, Grifball, SWAT, VIP, an all Mongoose playlist for Nebula, etc.

Fine with most of it but...
So you could shoot grenades and blow them up. They're removing that? That's... I disagree with that intensely. It was always a really cool detail of the games.
The problem is that they'd sometimes blow up in your face right after you threw them because your opponent got lucky and one of their bullets randomly hit your grenade. It wasn't intentional, controlled, or anything -- it was just bad luck for you and good luck for them. It feels very cheap.

Sephzilla

You never ran at full speed in the older games though, you weren't even moving at a jogging speed in 1 & 2

I dunno, I remember the movement speed in Halo 1 being pretty fast. Halo 1 feels like a run and gunner compared to Reach pre-Turbo Halo 4

That's not true at all. That's like saying a race car should only go one speed despite curves. There's a reason to go slow, and there's reasons to sprint. This insane clinging to the notion that just because the old games did it one way that it should only be that way is nuts. Props to 343 for being bright enough to acknowledge that.

There's already a way to not go full speed without sprint. We're still playing Halo with joysticks right?

BokehKing

Banned
Or 11% are stuck in the past. I like both varieties, but the inability of people to accept that the game has to evolve baffles me. 343 has correctly realized that if they tried to sell a Halo game that doesn't incorporate popular features that the general public expects in a shooter, that they will not be able to sell enough copies of the game to make a profit. Be happy that you have an avenue to turn off sprint. My guess is that the sprintless playlist will have some of the lowest player counts of all the playlists.

Sprint has absolutely no place in Halo and I still stand by that claim. It straight up hurts the gameplay in my opinion and encourages bad tactics.

The game has to make a profit man, this rabid 'never change' fan base is not big enough to warrant what you want.

stay gold

Based 343, that all sounds great.

looking at this change list you might as well yank Sprint out of the game all together.

How does it justify itself as a mechanic?

Eh leave it in for the kiddies that cant do without, as long as its not necessary it does no harm Imo. I rarely used it in the beta as is.

I dunno, I remember the movement speed in Halo 1 being pretty fast. Halo 1 feels like a run and gunner compared to Reach pre-Turbo Halo 4

Halo games without sprint are actually faster paced than those without. But people see sprint and automatically think "well if you run the game must be faster paced!!!!"

awesome list, they amended a lot of the things i wanted them to but there are still some things left most notably

- option for classic zoom
- increase fov
- more control schemes

Sofa King

Sprint has absolutely no place in Halo and I still stand by that claim. It straight up hurts the gameplay in my opinion and encourages bad tactics.

But if the masses don't buy the game there will be no Halo. Know your fan base, but you still have to cater to the masses. There is a whole group of younger players that won't buy the game if they can't sprint. Money talks louder than uber fans.

The_Dama

So sprint in MM is still on? Hope there's a playlist with no sprint.

Good changes so far but they should do another beta before the game lunches.

Now go fix MCC.

Halo games without sprint are actually faster paced than those without. But people see sprint and automatically think "well if you run the game must be faster paced!!!!"

And, as irrational as it is, that feedback loop improves their enjoyment of the game.

It's time to let it go.

Xav

343 is a good studio who gets way too much hate from a fanbase that may in fact be more stubborn than those Smash Bros Melee loyalists.

Shame about Master Chief Collection but hey, that's what happens when you outsource the game to like 4 different developers. You get a Ubisoft quality product in the end.

Adds RNG to a skill based shootout. It doesn't belong in Halo. A pro could lose a gunfight to a noob because of this luck-based BS.
You see a grenade. You can shoot it. It's a calculated risk. Will it work? Possibly not. But it could. So the player has the choice or whether to act on this feature. Removing it is only limiting the options of the player.

If it isn't reliable, then a 'pro' probably wouldn't try it. Yet for the 99%, it would be a cool feature that a player might get to see every now and again.

Removing it was 100% the right decision.
Sounds like they're simplifying the game and removing details to me, but to each his own.

njean777

343 is a good studio who gets way too much hate from a fanbase that may in fact be more stubborn than those Smash Bros Melee loyalists.

Shame about Master Chief Collection but hey, that's what happens when you outsource the game to like 4 different developers. You get a Ubisoft quality product in the end.

They are on the same level actually. Smash and halo uber fans are the worst.

BokehKing

Banned
Judging by the Halo 4 population dropoff, neither is the audience 343 is aiming for
Blackops 2 (a superior game when it came to giving people multiple game modes you can play came out 2 weeks later) is why the major drop off of casual halo fans left.

That's poor timing

Welfare

The game has to make a profit man, this rabid 'never change' fan base is not big enough to warrant what you want.

Halo 4 proves gamers don't give a shit about "running".

Also you have no basis for your claim of the game not making a profit if Halo doesn't copy CoD.

Blackops 2 (a superior game when it came to giving people multiple game modes you can play came out 2 weeks later) is why the major drop off of casual halo fans left.

That's poor timing
Explain how Reach was able to survive population wise when BO1 came out then.

shit i forget, there is no mention of br/ar starts. i really hope this is default in all playlist otherwise i simply wont buy the game. ar/magnum is a deal breaker for me

Strider

My guess is the competitive community turns off sprint for matches which will result in an HCS matchmaking playlist with sprint turned off. Cool by me and I'm glad modes like Big Team Battle and campaign will still have sprint.

VinFTW

You see a grenade. You can shoot it. It's a calculated risk. Will it work? Possibly not. But it could. So the player has the choice or whether to act on this feature. Removing it is only limiting the options of the player.

If it isn't reliable, then a 'pro' probably wouldn't try it. Yet for the 99%, it would be a cool feature that a player might get to see every now and again.

Sounds like they're simplifying the game and removing details to me, but to each his own.

Thats not how it works

Have you even played Halo 5?

Please tell me you were going around trying to shoot peoples nades because thats priceless.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The contingent of hardcore Halo fans that want the series to never change is actually very small, and people who argue otherwise are just refusing to listen. Read the beta thread and HaloGAF community thread. A lot of long time fans had mostly positive things to say about Halo 5. There's just some things that people refuse to accept, like sprint. And those people often have very well thought out analyses behind their stances.

Pappasman

The contingent of hardcore Halo fans that want the series to never change is actually very small, and people who argue otherwise are just refusing to listen. Read the beta thread and HaloGAF community thread. A lot of long time fans had mostly positive things to say about Halo 5. There's just some things that people refuse to accept, like sprint. And those people often have very well thought out analyses behind their stances.
Exactly. Its not like we don't want change, but change and improvement can be made without making bad design decisions that compromise why halo was and is unique.

reddish

Neo Member
I gotta say, it's weird having a genuine beta -- I forgot what it's like when a developer actually uses it as a testbed and makes real and substantial changes based on player feedback.

Still skeptical of 343 after the MCC, but that's as perfect of a list of changes as I could have hoped for.

SPNKr should be for every mode, it's too classic to just shoo aside for generic green pipe launcher.

Some really good adjustments in that list, server selection, opt-in kill cams, higher base speed with tweaked strafe and slightly slower sprint are all great to hear.

As with every game this gen i'll wait and see how the game launches before I buy it.

Halo absolutely has one of the most toxic fanbases for any console game I've ever known. But then it goes the other way - because 343 are first party, people make ridiculous excuses for them. The Xbox One subreddit, for example, is awful for any discussion surrounding Halo. If you think the MCC was bad, it's sour grapes, and you should just enjoy the campaigns (which don't even work properly in co-op).

And on that note, I think you're downplaying Halo MCC. It's more than a shame, death of the franchise in my opinion. They've pissed off their old fans, they've pissed off their potential new ones - and the competition is fierce. AW is genuinely good, and Treyarch are working on the next COD, Titanfall is extremely solid and has the potential to be huge, the new Battlefront treads on the toes of Halo with its sic-fi lore, Hardline is solid.

I can't see any Halo Xbox One game outselling the MCC, unless they literally give Halo 5 away to Halo MCC owners. People have been burned, they have alternatives. Sure, none of those are arena shooters, but Halo will need more than superfans of that niche to justify the funding it gets. All this has come too late.

I feel like whenever I say "sprint sucks" etc. people assume I don't like change. I love change. I want a new Halo. It's just that the current direction isn't good change at all. Sprint sucks and breaks the game in so many ways. If it actually made the game better than I would be all for it.

Trey

Eh leave it in for the kiddies that cant do without, as long as its not necessary it does no harm Imo. I rarely used it in the beta as is.

Yeah, I feel you. But I think if you're going to nerf sprint and increase the base speed, it's making the mechanic more redundant than it already is.

BTM

All the changes talked about sound great to me, especially that bit about the motion tracker at the end.

Also, sprint is fine. Saying it ruins the entire game is a little extreme.

ryan299

SPNKr should be for every mode, it's too classic to just shoo aside for generic green pipe launcher.

Some really good adjustments in that list, server selection, opt-in kill cams, higher base speed with tweaked strafe and slightly slower sprint are all great to hear.

As with every game this gen i'll wait and see how the game launches before I buy it.

Yeah i agree about SPNKr. If they listened to enough hate about it to put it into the game then just make it the RL. Get rid of the other design.

I still think DMR and BR need to have their damage increased a bit. It's too easy to sprint or thruster away from that last shot.

njean777

Halo absolutely has one of the most toxic fanbases for any console game I've ever known. But then it goes the other way - because 343 are first party, people make ridiculous excuses for them. The Xbox One subreddit, for example, is awful for any discussion surrounding Halo. If you think the MCC was bad, it's sour grapes, and you should just enjoy the campaigns (which don't even work properly in co-op).

And on that note, I think you're downplaying Halo MCC. It's more than a shame, death of the franchise in my opinion. They've pissed off their old fans, they've pissed off their potential new ones - and the competition is fierce. AW is genuinely good, and Treyarch are working on the next COD, Titanfall is extremely solid and has the potential to be huge, the new Battlefront treads on the toes of Halo with its sic-fi lore, Hardline is solid.

I can't see any Halo Xbox One game outselling the MCC, unless they literally give Halo 5 away to Halo MCC owners. People have been burned, they have alternatives. All this has come too late.

I may be in the minority but AW is tereible. Even worse than ghosts, and that is really hard to believe.

As for the OP it is good to see a dev respond to the fans. Will have to wait and see how these changes work.

VinFTW

I feel like whenever I say "sprint sucks" etc. people assume I don't like change. I love change. I want a new Halo. It's just that the current direction isn't good change at all. Sprint sucks and breaks the game in so many ways. If it actually made the game better than I would be all for it.

Its because your shoving your angry opinion down everyone's throat. You don't even know how the new movement/strafing options and a reduced sprint feels.

Of course no one is going to listen to you... nobody has even tried the new settings.

Calm down, take a breather and wait and see if it still plays bad when we try/see the new settings in action.

I may be in the minority but AW is the worst COD made. Even worse than ghosts and that is really hard to believe.

Genuinely, you're the first person I've heard who's said that. A few of my friends are COD diehards, and they stopped playing Ghosts within weeks of launch - and even those weeks were more 'trying to get into it'. They enjoy AW, and the review scores demonstrate that it's a fairly common opinion to hold.

All anecdotal, but hey.

Top Bottom