• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordxar

Guess I've never formally introduced myself to the thread, either just started posting movies I'd seen so I will correct that.

1. What's your favorite Movie?
Too many but these have been my most influential:
The Alien series (yes all of them but 1&2 are the best)
The Predator series
The Thing from Carpenter
A lot of Schwarzenegger movies lol
Fight Club
The Mist
The Matrix series
Escape from New York
From Dusk Till Dawn
Clerks

2. Who's your favorite director?
Whoever makes movies I like. Don't really have an overall favorite though Kubrick for one and Carpenter would fit the bill.

3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
Christian Bale. The way he approaches his roles is nothing short of phenominal like The Machinist.

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Sci-fi and horror

5. What's your favorite performance in film?
Tough to answer. I guess I'd say Das Boot as a whole. So much was done well in that movie and I'd say the cast did one helluva job bringing the U-boat experience to film.

Watching Sucker Punch right now and I'd put it high on my list of favorites. What a blend of everything I love in movies.

lednerg

Paths of Glory​

David Lynch​

Sam Rockwell / Laura Dern​

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Drama, Comedy, Action, Thriller, Science Fiction. (according to MovieLens)​

big ander

4/5+ new watches for feb
1) 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
2) The Book of Life
3) Mutual Appreciation
4) Goodbye to Language 3D
5) The Insider
6) Songs from the Second Floor
7) Fata Morgana

Derpyduck

Banned
Movies I watched in Feb:

1 - Obvious Child. Jenny Slate was really good, but the movie wasn't.
2 - Zero Dark Thirty - really enjoyed it
3 - The Judge - enjoyed it as well
4 - St. Vincent - I love Bill Murray, but I didn't like this movie
5 - John Wick - read a lot of praise for this. Didn't live up to it. A big, dumb action movie that was mostly just dumb.

Trey

Starter for 10

Typical coming of age story. I thought many of the characters acted stupidly, most notably James McAvoy. What kind of smoldering charisma must his character have off screen in order to make these near strangers care about him as much as they do? The world may never know.

Aliens

This was a fun movie. It's Cameron's blueprint for taking one of his tight, horror franchises and blowing it up to some grand action spectacle; which would later be used to greater effect in Terminator 2. Aliens, despite its action sequences, still retains the claustrophobic sense of dread that is a hallmark of the series. The Alien itself necessarily loses its edge of frightful mysteriousness, but the last set piece was cool enough for me to forgive the pace change from Alien.

Aviator

The only knock I'll give to Dicaprio is that he looked too young throughout the entire movie, which isn't really something he could control. While he played an eccentric billionaire in a period piece about as well as that goes, I still just saw him. The illusion could never be maintained for me, while on the surface I could respect the work Dicaprio was laying out.

Focus

Wlil Smith was competent, and Margot Robbie was cute. The plot was haphazard and the representation of real sports with fake teams with B-roll footage is still so bad.

Dallas Buyer's Club

This was the first movie that I felt was manipulative. Don't get me wrong, I know movies as a medium are supposed to be manipulative. It's how they get you to care about fake people and fake settings - it's selling you imagination. But I could feel the string pulls with Dallas. It's like scenes came with cue cards or those that applause sign on live shows. Not to take anything away from Mcconaughey's achievement here: he was convincingly frail and angry. Leto registered the standout performance. But it was all undone somewhat with sentiments that felt just as blatant as a Wayans "message!" gag. Drawing back from the angle of pure entertainment, however, the movie brings the struggle of multiple people to the fore in an impactful way.

AoM

Robocop (2014)

I really liked this. I was hesitant about the guy playing Murphy at first, but he did a great job. And of course Oldman and Keaton were great. The action scenes were well done and that suit is just badass. I did, however, like the character of Clarence more in the original (vs. the generic bad guy here) and the ending was somewhat lacking. But overall I enjoyed it and it's worth watching.

Pachimari

Watched 50 Shades of Grey last night and just finished with The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. What can I say, I liked them both. None were super great but I enjoyed them.

Salaam Bombay! (1988)
salaam_bombay_by_digi_matrix-d8k1isv.jpg

Wow, really pulls no punches. The main actor runs around barefoot on the dirty streets. I wouldn't be surprised if they just used a lot of real non-actor people. There is no sugar coating compared to even Slumdog Millionaire. Depressing account of the child poverty, prostitution, and punishment dealt on the streets. Interesting how the movie's marketing like posters tried to completely hide away the bleakness. The impact was equivalent to Grave of the Fireflies for me, just totally gut-wrenching.

I really should watch more Indian films. Like Satyajit Ray's.

Noticed Irrfan Khan from Lunchbox, this seemed to be his first feature film role.
salaam_bombay_actor_by_digi_matrix-d8k1it2.png

Messofanego, you should check out movies from Ritwak Ghatak and Adoor Gopalakrishnan, as well as Mrinal Sen and Lester James Peries if possible. Ray's great, but he's mostly a face of Bengal cinema, and there's a wide variety of movies in different languages for other demographics in the region.

Vesmir

Banned
Just got out of Birdman. It had a glimmer of genius when it was deconstructing superhero movie audiences, but I couldn't help but feel like I wasted my time.

MikeMyers

Paper Moon
Stanley Kubrick
Marlon Brando / Jodie Foster
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Drama
Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now

Messofanego, you should check out movies from Ritwak Ghatak and Adoor Gopalakrishnan, as well as Mrinal Sen and Lester James Peries if possible. Ray's great, but he's mostly a face of Bengal cinema, and there's a wide variety of movies in different languages for other demographics in the region.
Thanks! A couple from each that you'd recommend?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I'm happy to say Kingsman was indeed a bloody fun movie. Colin Firth kicks ass, Samuel Jackson is hilarious (reminded me of a middle aged Fresh Prince), tons of references to other movies, great action that resembles Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes at times, and soundtrack featuring motherfing Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry in one -hilarious - scene! That seals the deal
In short, not a masterpiece, a bit predictable, but who gives a shit: I was hella entertained for two hours, and that's enough. Messo was not wrong with this one!

Blader

My Best Fiend
A kind of perfunctory doc in terms of craft, but Herzog's anecdotes and the (too few!) behind-the-scenes footage, mainly of Kinski blowing up over whatever, make it well worth the watch. Would've liked to see some more on Nosferatu, which seemed to me like the most atypical of the Herzog/Kinski films and it would've been interesting to see how they both approached that material compared to something more insanely ambitious like Aguirre or Fitzcarraldo. Given the lack of time spent on it maybe there just wasn't any drama behind that movie?

Breakfast at Tiffany's
Audrey Hepburn is adorable but this is just kind of alright. I liked Sabrina a lot more.

so I'm happy to say Kingsman was indeed a bloody fun movie. Colin Firth kicks ass, Samuel Jackson is hilarious (reminded me of a middle aged Fresh Prince), tons of references to other movies, great action that resembles Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes at times, and soundtrack featuring motherfing Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry in one -hilarious - scene! That seals the deal
In short, not a masterpiece, a bit predictable, but who gives a shit: I was hella entertained for two hours, and that's enough
Finally! Glad you enjoyed it :p

Sunset Boulevard: "Alright, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up!" I became interested in this after it became frequently mentioned in The Disaster Artist. It's worth it to see the delusional Normal Desmond who thinks she has a chance to return to stardom in Hollywood long after talkies made her obsolete, while Joe Gillis (William Holden, who I remember from I Love Lucy) is caught trying to deal with her and keep on secretly writing another screenplay. It's considered a classic, and worth checking out.

See also: The Twilight Zone episode "The Sixteen Millimeter Shrine".

Thanks! A couple from each that you'd recommend?
Ghatak's more well-known films are The Cloud-Capped Star and A River Called Titash, the latter of which Criterion streams on Hulu+ (BFI put out a DVD for the former). Sen and Peries (the outstanding Sri Lankan director) are way more difficult to find. Kunal Sen, the former's son, explains here that DVDs like those you can get from Calcuttaweb are made with damaged prints, all they can get their hands on due to preservation circumstances. The Mrinal Sen DVDs have issues, but they're subtitled and not terribly expensive if you wanna see Ek Din Pratidin or Kharj (both part of a trilogy on family absences). I have no idea where to find Peries on DVD, maybe he's on YouTube if you can stomach it (look for Gamperaliya, Rekava, and/or Nidhanaya). Gopalakrishnan movies like Shadow Kill and Rat-Trap have DVDs in better shape. You can find Raj Kapoor's early Bollywood film Awara on iTunes for some '50s India.

I actually edited to give you a thumbs up mate, good advice
this time :p
hehe thanks :p
Ghatak's more well-known films are The Cloud-Capped Star and A River Called Titash, the latter of which Criterion streams on Hulu+ (BFI put out a DVD for the former). Sen and Peries (the outstanding Sri Lankan director) are way more difficult to find. Kunal Sen, the former's son, explains here that DVDs like those you can get from Calcuttaweb are made with damaged prints, all they can get their hands on due to preservation circumstances. The Mrinal Sen DVDs have issues, but they're subtitled and not terribly expensive if you wanna see Ek Din Pratidin or Kharj (both part of a trilogy on family absences). I have no idea where to find Peries on DVD, maybe he's on YouTube if you can stomach it (look for Gamperaliya, Rekava, and/or Nidhanaya). Gopalakrishnan movies like Shadow Kill and Rat-Trap have DVDs in better shape. You can find Raj Kapoor's early Bollywood film Awara on iTunes for some '50s India.
Thanks for the detailed response! Much appreciated.

Timeaisis

Just saw Predestination.

Hmm, hrmmm...well it was well done. Good discussion movie. Could have used a little more meatiness, though. I'm a sucker for scifi time travel, though. So I might have just liked it for that.

Edit: some more I just remembered.

Space Station 76
Drama pretending to be scifi. Decent, but nothing to write home about.

Stretch
Funny, memorable, crazy. Not the best movie, but it was entertaining. Also, two actors that aren't in enough things.

22 Jump Street
Honestly, not a fan of these kind of comedies, but I liked the first one. This one was too much for me, though. Not horrible, but not great.

hbkdx12

Saw 50 shades

As someone who didn't read the book, the movie is just terrible. I can see why the bdsm community says the movie/book takes an unresponsible portrayal on an s&m relationship. Dude just came off as an obsessive controlling overbearing stalker.

The whole movie all I could think was somehow his actions are acceptable because he's rich and attractive. If he was an "ordinary" guy, the cops would have been called after about 20 mins

Meliorism

February:

ACTRESS
THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY
GUN CRAZY
LOLA (Demy)
THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

Watched Hard to Be a God this afternoon and dang..it's great. Must be seen theatrically if you get the chance. Final scene kinda reminds me of what Tarantino did in the final scene of Inglourious Basterds.

megamerican

A View to a Kill Shame that one of, if not the worst Bond film has one of the best villains in Christopher Walken. He and his hechwoman Mayday are the sole highlights of this extremely boring movie. Roger Moore was in his 60s, and clearly long past giving a shit. Moore was always kind of a pervier Bond, and the age gap just make some stuff downright creepy. It was funny seeing the exact same mine set / location from Temple of Doom, although this movie does not even touch that sequence. 4 out of 10

Lost in America Very funny, and still works quite well even somewhat removed from the yuppie heyday. I love how Brooks always teeters on that edge of being an outright asshole, but always gets you to like him. 7 out of 10

big ander

Maps to the Stars *** if you already felt like getting off the Cronenberg train at A Dangerous Method or Cosmopolis I can't imagine this'd change your mind. though I guess it is pretty funny in a peculiar sterile way. Cberg is on point, cold and piercing, and the performances are fantastic. especially Moore, who brings the absolute emptiness of her character to life without exaggerating it to the level of caricature. she's simply well and truly shallow, and it's brilliant. But Wagner's script has nothing novel to say with its ever-tightening and reverse-aging circles of incestuous showbiz withering into ash. He's a hammer trying to pound the icicle of Cronenberg like a chisel, and it predictably does not work.
an early near contextless scene has Mia Wasikowska as scarred and out-of-her-head Agatha performing a repetitive dance routine in her hotel room and it is magical.

Others I didn't post about last thread:
Songs from the Second Floor is unique, but more importantly it's funny and stronger in its depiction of life as endless demoralizing abuse (often self-inflicted) for that fact.
Fata Morgana is pensive and wry, ambient filmmaking that challenges documentary subjects by refusing to stop filming them. the less it tries to become a narrativized tone-poem the better it is.
Mutual Appreciation is better than Funny Ha Ha and, with a sequence following a wandering drunken night, predicts Computer Chess's surreality.
Runaway Train has incredible stunt work, but it mostly has Eric Roberts being fairly grating while Jon Voight hams it up in a locomotive. rebecca DeMornay is astoundingly atrocious, just a horribly written character that she makes no effort to elevate.
and that screened with The Thing, a rewatch I expected to confirm the film is a bonafide masterpiece. I think it's juuuust shy of that level still, and I put the blame for that on rep audiences who feel the need to express how knowing and savvy they are by treating every movie like it's The Room
Top 5 of February (not including shorts)

1. Spirits of the Air, Gremlins of the Cloud (was honestly very surprised by this, from the same guy who did Dark City if anyone cares. It is sad a very beautiful film only exists on VHS)
2. Living Stars
3. Kung-Fu Master!
4. Phantom
5. Anna and the Wolves
bugged I still can't find a lead on Living Stars. somewhere down the line!
So Book of Life is that good?
I definitely think so. Hartley takes a real formal gamble by blowing up DV and it pays off, married astutely to fears of the millennium and the apocalypse. Story wise the center conflict is new versus old testament, and intertwining that with the then-uncertain (and hey, still uncertain) future of digital cinema versus film makes Hartley's optimistic nervousness about the future infectious. and it's hilarious.
February:

ACTRESS
THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY
GUN CRAZY
LOLA (Demy)
THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

Watched Hard to Be a God this afternoon and dang..it's great. Must be seen theatrically if you get the chance. Final scene kinda reminds me of what Tarantino did in the final scene of Inglourious Basterds.
Looking for Kino to send this to this coast still. I think at least, I thought I remembered there being one screening I couldn't make it to but I cant find any record of it. Would be nice if it came along with the other German film(s) like Khrustalyov, My Car! that I know have hit Austin and I believe NYC.
also hell yeah night of the hunter

The Drafthouse Ritz showcase for German has me sad, especially since I visited Austin last year for a similarly cool Film Noir Foundation repertory series. DFW's franchise probably couldn't get away with screening films as fragile and niche.

Glad to see more people see Hard To Be A God, and even like it.

The Replacement Killers is a textbook example of style over substance, but the problem is all the style is faux-badassery, like an imitation of a John Woo thing but without the actual badassery. so it's bad, basically.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Damn, I was not expecting that ending. I feel so melancholy right now. The animation and music are top tier Ghibli. Thoroughly recommended. Song of the Sea and this prove that hand drawn is still the way to go if you want the most aesthetically pleasing animation. 8/10

Speed (1994)
Amazing how this movie has held up. Non-stop thriller and extremely re-watchable. Can't recommend this movie enough if you haven't seen it already, Young Sandra Bullock was adorable :')

It Follows - 10/10.

Its funny, cos I usually hate horror movies, and I avoid anything with jump scares, but it follows is really bloody excellent. It has a great premise, a terrific cast, executes it incredibly well, looks amazing, sounds amazing, and best of all is very unsettling without ever having to resort to cheap tactics. Highly recommended.

I definitely think so. Hartley takes a real formal gamble by blowing up DV and it pays off, married astutely to fears of the millennium and the apocalypse. Story wise the center conflict is new versus old testament, and intertwining that with the then-uncertain (and hey, still uncertain) future of digital cinema versus film makes Hartley's optimistic nervousness about the future infectious. and it's hilarious.
Reading this with that animated film in mind was certainly something.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
February:

ACTRESS
THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY
GUN CRAZY
LOLA (Demy)
THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

Sucks I blew my chance to see Hard to be a God at Anthology here (I think it played in late January perhaps) and Actress (at Film Society of Lincoln Center) but I will get around to seeing them sooner than later.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
bugged I still can't find a lead on Living Stars. somewhere down the line!

The Spectacle played it for four random times here in Brooklyn and honestly don't think it has any real distribution here. At least you can watch this amazing trailer they did:
https://vimeo.com/117140874

The Spectacle does a best of the year in December (and perhaps now in January from no on) and it will be hard to imagine this not getting in there if you find yourself here in 9 months. Hopefully it will find distro before that though.

Tron and Tron Legacy

I've seen Tron 20 years ago or something, and didn't see it from beginning to end. Now I did, bought the bluray set with both movies in it.

I've found this movie always strangely interesting, I was never a fan really but it can be seen as something that was similar to The Matrix in some aspects and it seemed to come off as something completely nonsensical, Hi, I'm a text editor program... I'm actually like a real person.

Still fascinating though, it's a product of how 80's people saw what a virtual world could look like... at Disney.

Now Legacy, I enjoyed this movie. There is not much to say except I found it to be a little more grounded in it's concept (if you can say that about such a movie), the cgi Jeff Bridges was a little off putting at times but overall I can't complain.

Funny (or embarrasing) remark, until yesterday I thought that Olivia Wilde was an ex-porn actress (I don't know much about most celebrities) and found it funny that Disney gave her a role in this movie.

Then I googled her name... for science... turns out I was wrong all the time lol

UrbanRats

Reading this with that animated film in mind was certainly something.

Lol, what I was thinking.
Imagining a big 3d animated movie that isn't almost completely safe and predictably formulaic was hard (especially now that Pixar has been out of the picture for a while) and sure enough...
I guess that's why you have (year) next to the title, ideally.

At this point i'm gonna check out Book of Life (1998) anyway, though.

burnfout

Man now I am really exited for It Follows!

In March I am righting some wrongs from my childhood. I've never seen a Ghostbusters, Jaws or Star Wars movie, so I will be watching one of each this month.

Starting with: Ghostbusters
Movie was awesome, Bill Murray was incredibly funny, the soundtrack is truly fantastic and Sigourney Weaver is one hell of a foxy lady. Great stuff all around.

big ander

How do I even watch Song of the Sea? Streaming anywhere?
It was just in theaters around here and I thought it'd be pretty widespread given the oscar nom. But it's out on blu in two weeks too.
Lol, what I was thinking.
Imagining a big 3d animated movie that isn't almost completely safe and predictably formulaic was hard (especially now that Pixar has been out of the picture for a while) and sure enough...
I guess that's why you have (year) next to the title, ideally.

At this point i'm gonna check out Book of Life (1998) anyway, though.
heh whoops forgot there was the recent Book of Life.

graffix13

Watched 3 Great Movies this weekend (all Oscar nominees/winners):

Whiplash- Great movie. JK deserved the Oscar for his performance. Andrew's drive to be great came at great sacrifice. I thought Fletcher had some good points, but at times he reminded me of the drill Sargent from Full Metal Jacket. And
I understand his point of the 'greats' don't get discouraged from their dream, but how is Andrew to achieve his dream if he's kicked out of school? Maybe find another outlet? I dunno.

Argo- Another good one, but since it was on standard cable I had to DVR and then fast forward through the commercials. It hurt the flow of the movie and immersion. Still a great movie though. I didn't think Affleck was anything special in this, as Affleck will be Affleck.

Up In the Air- This one kinda surprised me as I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
I did predict that Alex was married (although I didn't think she had kids) and it was kinda heartbreaking to see that but I knew something was up.
I do enjoy Clooney and all his quirky mannerisms.

And since I don't post much in these threads:

Shawshank Redemption
Eastwood probably
Daniel Day-Lewis
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Historical, War, Western
Too many to list, although Day Lewis in Gangs of New York comes to mind first

Timeaisis

I realized I never posted my intro either, so I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner and O, Brother Where Art Thou?
Steven Spielburg, Ridley Scott, and The Coen Brothers
Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, and Leonardo Dicaprio
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Thriller, sci-fi, drama, and comedy
Everyone in Catch Me if You Can

Choomp

Banned
GoodFellas, Pan's Labyrinth, Children of Men
Martin Scorsese, Terrence Malick
Robert De Niro, Ellen Page, Christoph Waltz
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Drama, Comedy, Bio-type thing
De Niro/Joe Pesci in GoodFellas

Meliorism

I told some other LAers to go to that Cinefamily Wild Canaries thing but idk if they'll show up. Would be weird if GAF and other forum people met up. O_O

Sophia Takal <3 <3 <3

SXSW coming up...should be interesting.

Ridley327

I finally got around to watching the Final Cut of Blade Runner yesterday evening, and I was pretty impressed by how Scott went even further of a dreamlike atmosphere than the previous cuts that I had seen. I wonder if this was his way of acknowledging that certain aspects of the characterization were never going to coalesce in a satisfying manner, and thus pushed the visual storytelling even further than before, feeling more fragmented and yet much more rounded at the same time. It feels like a sadder film now, which is impressive given that it was never sunshine and rainbows to begin with, despite the borrowed footage from The Shining may want you to believe in the theatrical cut.

Given the tidbit that we learn about Scott's personal life early on in the utterly comprehensive documentary on the entirety of the production in Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner, it makes sense why the film turned out the way it did, but it also reveals just how much of a miracle that it wound up even finished. While the doc never takes on an antagonistic view of how the production spun out of control, it does expose a director who walked the very thin line between genius and insanity throughout, making investors nervous about the production that was spiraling out of control, and yet being able to back up what he was attempting with dazzling scenes that had never been captured on film before. At three-and-a-half hours, it's hard to imagine that there are any stones left unturned, as it covers everything from the pre-production process through the troubled filming (boy, is it hard not to sympathize with Harrison Ford and his reluctance to talk about the film for as long as he did) through the extraordinary post-production work, all the way to its disastrous box office run and eventual re-appraisal with the release of the Director's Cut a decade later. The decision to order the process as chronologically as possible without the need of moderation helps capture the enormity of everything that transpired, but I felt like it could come off at times as a bit too segmented, as if it was several different featurettes stitched together rather than a cohesive whole. In a weird way, a similar comprehensive documentary in Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy feels a lot breezier despite being a half hour longer, all thanks to how well it keeps everything on the task of charting the evolution of that series and its main attraction. Nevertheless, I feel like behind-the-scenes documentaries benefit much more from being candid than they do as PR pieces, and you'd be hard-pressed to call Dangerous Days anything but. Not the most engaging documentary on the whole, but certainly one that is a fount of fascinating information.

So, naturally, I followed up that evening by watching a film where Elijah Wood winds up in an even more ridiculous plot than the one he was made to endure in Grand Piano.

Open Windows is nothing if not busy. After a terrific fake-out opening, the film then settles into its central conceit of watching the events unfold through the laptop of our hero, Nick. It begins simple enough: Nick is the webmaster of the world's biggest fansite for actress Jill Goddard, waiting for a dinner with her as his prize for winning a contest, all the while watching a live stream of a preview for her new film. Capitalizing on his ownership of the site, he screenshots the live stream and immediately posts them on his site. A web chat comes through and gives him the bad news: the dinner has been canceled and there is no consolation prize. Or so it would seem.

To say that the plot begins to quickly unravel isn't doing it justice. Imagine a ball of yarn the size of the moon, and you will get an idea of how remarkably convoluted things get. There is probably enough ideas in here to fuel at least five different films, and there's a sense that this film feels like a few stitched together. Director Nacho Vigalondo bets the farm on the way the story is told, unfolding as a progressively more complex series of open windows on Nick's laptop as he's trying to make sense of a situation that is going well above and beyond any level of rational thinking, and it is certainly an interesting way of telling that story. But not even on the corner of the internet where you click a page to be greeted with a hundred pop-ups of penis enlargement pills would be enough to capture everything that this film attempts to do with its narrative, and there's simply no way to reconcile that, as I can state as eloquently as possible, this shit is too fucking batshit loco. For many people, it's a hurdle that simply will not be cleared, no matter how stylish it is.

At some point, and I think it was between the part where Nick seems nonplussed at rope and a gag ball are hiding in a secret compartment in his hotel room's night stand and finding out that the gag ball is electrified, I accepted that this film was never going to make any sense at all, so I decided to ride with it as best as I could, and to my surprise, it's an incredibly entertaining mess. It is certainly never boring, and its eagerness to stay one step ahead of you without doing too much cheating is admirable. While I can't imagine that they'd be in the highlight reels, both Elijah Wood and Sasha Grey do fine jobs in their respective roles, doing their best to keep you emotionally invested in what happens long after any level of intellectual engagement is shot into the sun. A simpler plot would have served the style well in the format of a short film, and be all the better for it, but there's something to be said about admiring a batter's form even if he's not hitting that many balls, and the ones he is hitting are often fouls. But as it happens, some of those foul balls manage to cause a Rube Goldberg-esque pile-up of calamities that simply needs to be accepted as is without any deeper thought given to them. It's when that happens that you realize that sometimes, a home run can be pretty boring in comparison, and boy, are there some pretty amazing foul balls that the film is willing to hit by its conclusion.

Ridley327

After seeing them back to back this evening, I think I can definitively state that Manhunter is a better film than The Silence of the Lambs. I had my feelings about that last year when I watched Manhunter for the first time, but that was based on my impressions of the latter film from well over a decade ago. The Silence of the Lambs is certainly not a bad film by any metric, but for all the ballyhoo surrounding it, I always had the impression of it being a little more sleight than some would believe. Rewatching it gave me a deeper issue that I had with it, in that it's not a particularly subtle film, even if you took out Anthony Hopkins' overly theatrical performance as Hannibal Lecter. Very little about the film is kept under wraps, with a lot of open declarations of the obvious and a tendency to undermine the potency of the thematic content from a visual standpoint by outright stating what they were going for at times. It's a shame since Johnathan Demme puts in a hell of a lot of work from a direction standpoint, with an unusual emphasis on extreme close-ups that helps give the film an intimate edge, as well as the crafty decision to keep on Clarice and her small size in comparison to the rest of the world around her. And boy, if anything really aged well in the film, it is most certainly Jodie Foster's performance as Clarice, who knocks it out of the park from the very first scene all the way up to the nerve-wracking finale. I've never been a big fan of the soundtrack, as Howard Shore has done better work and the blaring nature of it all doesn't help it out, but the licensed music is about as on point as you can get, even beyond the now iconic use of Goodbye Horses, particularly with the sinister juxtaposition of American Girl. It's a very good film, but it's held back by enough factors that I can't personally place it as a horror classic, even if history has already deemed it as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom