• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think The Dissolve had it right when they called It Follows "the most striking American horror film in years." Most people will try to associate that with it being super terrifying, but I am pretty hard-pressed to think of one that has left such an impression on me in terms of its visual potency. I'm not sure what what director David Robert Mitchell has done before this, but you get the distinct impression that this film had been shot and edited a hundred times over in Mitchell's mind before actually being shot and edited, as there's a remarkable amount of control, restraint and skill on display from beginning to end, feeling much like an artsier John Carpenter film or at least about as close as I think anyone could get to pulling off the graphic novel Black Hole in live-action. Helping the visuals is a perfectly paired score, care of Rich "Disasterpiece" Vreeland, whose synths throb with a clattering intensity in the more visceral bits and have a mysterious dreamlike quality in the transitioning bits, not too dissimilar from the work he did for Fez. The aesthetic identity of the film even saves it when it dives into sillier territory, such as the finale that was well-intended but can't help but look a bit ridiculous in practice. The actors also do fine in their mainly age-appropriate roles without coming off as being self-consciously trying too hard to fit their age bracket, and Maika Monore seems poised to be break out in a big way after this and last year's The Guest. If it's not an outright scary film, it definitely does well in maintaining a sense of dread and unease throughout its runtime, which I often feel like is a harder trick to pull off in the genre. It's a shame so many of the horror film trailers attached to this looked so dire in comparison, because a few more films like It Follows would do the bigger studios a lot of good.

David Robert Mitchell did a bunch of storyboards and location scouting (which is why those 360 and even 720 panning shots work so well), there was a lot of pre-work before shooting so he knew exactly what he wanted which reduced the amount of actual shooting days. Very smart dude.
Nightcrawler

Eh, I much prefer Antonio Campos' films as far as recent films centered on sociopaths. That might be a bit unfair since this film's aims are different. On second thought, Afterschool has significant overlap.

I can totally agree with that. Although I felt Nightcrawler had different things to say too, like with the attack on news media. Any movie that reminds me of Network is cool by me.

Cinderella - I loved this film. I loved it so much. It looks so beautiful. The actors are all so good. It plays it straight, no sly meta winks or revisionism to the original story, e.g maleficent. Its the story of motherfucking cinderella and its brilliant, I loved it.

And the frozen short was really good as well.

UrbanRats

I can totally agree with that.

Simon Killer was probably one of the best movies i've seen about a legit sociopath.
I'm not sure Afterschool's protagonist qualifies for that though, he battles with his detachment, but i don't think it's a mental disorder, just a cultural byproduct.
It's been a while since i saw that movie though.

Ridley327

David Robert Mitchell did a bunch of storyboards and location scouting (which is why those 360 and even 720 panning shots work so well), there was a lot of pre-work before shooting so he knew exactly what he wanted which reduced the amount of actual shooting days. Very smart dude.

That's cool to hear. There's a lot of horror productions that still make it up as they go along, so it helps set It Follows apart that it was so meticulously planned out in advance.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
kaguya-620x350.png

Subversive, brutal, depressing masterpiece about women. Best film of 2015 I've seen.

G-Fex

Major League - Being a amateur baseball fan I feel bad I haven't seen this sooner. But man, great funny movie. Love the characters. Memorable.

Trancers - Awesome 80's flick!

Ridley327

Flash Gordon is undoubtedly a goofy film, but it walks a line between the endearing kind of goofy and the excruciating kind of goofy. It falls into the latter when the plank of driftwood that is Sam Jones is ever on the screen without better actors around him to make up for his immense lack of acting ability and charisma, which is a big problem when he's playing the title character. The good news is he's often around other actors who more than pick up the slack with their delicious scenery chewing. Topol, Max von Sydow, Peter Wyngarde, Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed all overact in the best way, treating the larger-than-life material the way it deserves to be treated. And while Melody Anderson isn't the greatest actress, she has a nice pluckiness about her, and she gets to deliver the absolute best line in the film that is sure to have you falling out of your chair in hysterics. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more veritable cornucopia of scenery to chew than this film, as the typical Dino De Laurentiis decadence is on full display with the set and costume design. You'll see midgets dressed up like a cross between Persian rugs and Pop Tarts (including one named Fellini!!!), people looking like sentient disco balls, and more gold skull face plates than should be legally allowed. It also helps that the film fully commits to bringing the original comic strips to life in such lurid colors, often feeling like what would happen if Dario Argento ever got around to making a sci-fi film. And there was no one else to help score the film that was better qualified for such silly bombast than Queen themselves, whose repetitive declarations of how awesome Flash is does more for his character than Jones does. Forcing cheesiness often backfires, but I can't imagine how else you'd bring this material to life, and it's all the better for it at the end of the day. It's a delightful bit of joyful nonsense, and no charisma vacuums masquerading as lead actors can take that away.

burnfout

To Catch a Thief
After thoroughly enjoying Rear Window, I picked up ‘To catch a Thief’ on blu-ray. My second Hitchcock movie.

What an amazingly fun movie. Great chemistry between Gary Grant and Grace Kelly, beautifully shot in amazing locations, fun dialog, a great car chase and a fun but predictable plot.

Also its amazing to look at, the transfer to blu-ray is simply stunning. Great popping colors and very sharp throughout. The possibilities to watch these older movies in such great quality will never cease to amaze me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
To Catch a Thief
After thoroughly enjoying Rear Window, I picked up ‘To catch a Thief’ on blu-ray. My second Hitchcock movie.

What an amazingly fun movie. Great chemistry between Gary Grant and Grace Kelly, beautifully shot in amazing locations, fun dialog, a great car chase and a fun but predictable plot.

Also its amazing to look at, the transfer to blu-ray is simply stunning. Great popping colors and very sharp throughout. The possibilities to watch these older movies in such great quality will never cease to amaze me.

you're in for a great ride if you've just started watching Hitchcocks man, I envy you!

Ridley327

First Men in the Moon is decidedly mid-range for both Ray Harryhausen and Charles Schneer, so while it has the typical nice look to it, an energetic score, and the lively Harryhausen creations, there's not a whole lot else going on between the ears... until you realize, whether unintentionally or on purpose, that the film makes a pretty terrific argument for our protagonist is secretly the villain, charting his cruel, thoughtless genocide of non-human creatures, continually lying to his fiancee, and being kind of a dick to the man who made the trip possible in the first place. This is best exemplified in the film's ending, when his douchebaggery reaches the moon unaided by chuckling to himself and cracking wise in the face of an entire species' extinction. I hate this man, and I feel pretty good about that.

Toothless

Holy shit. I never see horror movies. I hate horror movies. After seeing It Follows, I think I might just hate what the genre has become generally. Absolutely loved it. The dynamic of the friends was awesome, and Paul was an awesome character, but really they were all great, except the poetry girl, who was my only eh part of the movie. It was just terrifying; it's a fucked up movie with awesome production value and knowledge of what the genre has brought before it.* The cinematography and direction are on point and the score is ridiculously good. This will be high up on my list at the end of the year; a fantastic indie movie with an unusual idea that works perfectly, and exceeds in a genre I typically despise? Yep, it's a winner.

*Anyone else notice the Nightmare on Elm Street reconstruction?

Holy shit. I never see horror movies. I hate horror movies. After seeing It Follows, I think I might just hate what the genre has become generally. Absolutely loved it. The dynamic of the friends was awesome, and Paul was an awesome character, but really they were all great, except the poetry girl, who was my only eh part of the movie. It was just terrifying; it's a fucked up movie with awesome production value and knowledge of what the genre has brought before it.* The cinematography and direction are on point and the score is ridiculously good. This will be high up on my list at the end of the year; a fantastic indie movie with an unusual idea that works perfectly, and exceeds in a genre I typically despise? Yep, it's a winner.

*Anyone else notice the Nightmare on Elm Street reconstruction?

The great soundtrack was also done by the guy who did the soundtrack for Fez.

I'm gonna do a longer write up later, but I just want to say god bless swoon for recommending Short Cuts to me months ago. It's a masterpiece and Robert Altman is the fucking man.

veela

Neo Member
Digging up the marrow - by Adam Green
more a movie about Adam Green, with some monster stuff

Some kind of dark fantasy/horror with 2-3 jump scares about the question "Are monsters real?" It's a quite interesting plot about the creatures underneath, but than it fell flat. But I love that finally somebody used the awesome monster drawings by Alex Pardee

UrbanRats

Tale of Princess Kaguya - Nice to see that some (big) animation movies can still have some balls.
I thought it dragged somewhat in the middle, but it's overall a really great send off (along with Wind Rises, though this was even better) for Ghibli.
I think this is one of their best work in general, actually, off the top of my head, i can only think of Only Yesterday and Princess Mononoke, who i'd put above this; i'd have to digest it a little more to say.
That finale was just amazingly grotesque and beautiful.
I'd reckon, probably the last really great 2d animated movie we'll get.

Also interesting to see Ghibli's "princess" movies and compare them to Disney's, but i've shat on Frozen long enough, so i'll stop here.

vio

Flash Gordon is undoubtedly a goofy film, but it walks a line between the endearing kind of goofy and the excruciating kind of goofy. It falls into the latter when the plank of driftwood that is Sam Jones is ever on the screen without better actors around him to make up for his immense lack of acting ability and charisma, which is a big problem when he's playing the title character. The good news is he's often around other actors who more than pick up the slack with their delicious scenery chewing. Topol, Max von Sydow, Peter Wyngarde, Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed all overact in the best way, treating the larger-than-life material the way it deserves to be treated. And while Melody Anderson isn't the greatest actress, she has a nice pluckiness about her, and she gets to deliver the absolute best line in the film that is sure to have you falling out of your chair in hysterics. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more veritable cornucopia of scenery to chew than this film, as the typical Dino De Laurentiis decadence is on full display with the set and costume design. You'll see midgets dressed up like a cross between Persian rugs and Pop Tarts (including one named Fellini!!!), people looking like sentient disco balls, and more gold skull face plates than should be legally allowed. It also helps that the film fully commits to bringing the original comic strips to life in such lurid colors, often feeling like what would happen if Dario Argento ever got around to making a sci-fi film. And there was no one else to help score the film that was better qualified for such silly bombast than Queen themselves, whose repetitive declarations of how awesome Flash is does more for his character than Jones does. Forcing cheesiness often backfires, but I can't imagine how else you'd bring this material to life, and it's all the better for it at the end of the day. It's a delightful bit of joyful nonsense, and no charisma vacuums masquerading as lead actors can take that away.
Sam Jones looks there like the That 70`s Show era blonde Ashton Kutcher lol. Still i like it, those visuals, music, there is something about it. Probably seen 4-5 times as a kid.

Blader

Went to a screening of Blade Runner (final cut) last night and learned that it was apparently one of the last-ever times WB will be showing the film on 35mm. Going forward, they'll only be screening the film on digital. Something about that feels ironic but I'm too tired to draw it out.

anyway, great film, of course. After being burned by how shitty the Inherent Vice 35mm presentation looked at this same theater, I'm glad that this one looked so great -- even if the coloring did change vastly in a couple reel changes. This is my third or fourth time seeing the movie and it occurred to me, as good as the whole thing is, there are some scenes that are exceptionally directed.
Zhora's
death through the glass, for one, is just a really well put together sequence, with "Blade Runner Blues" cued into it perfectly.

I also disagree with anyone who thinks Ridley was too on-the-nose about
Deckard being a replicant in this version. Maybe I'm just too dense about it but I still don't think I would've ever made that connection between the unicorn daydream and the origami at the end
if someone hadn't told me about it first.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - I dont exactly have amazing taste or anything so bear with me cinema buffs. Just a warning. Was my favorite movie that I watched over the week next to Whiplash. Just really well rounded and perfect. I cant find anything wrong with it (Im not really a film critic) and I was having fun throughout the whole thing. I guess if Westerns arent your thing then dont touch it.

lordxar

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - I dont exactly have amazing taste or anything so bear with me cinema buffs. Just a warning. Was my favorite movie that I watched over the week next to Whiplash. Just really well rounded and perfect. I cant find anything wrong with it (Im not really a film critic) and I was having fun throughout the whole thing. I guess if Westerns arent your thing then dont touch it.

I need to watch this some day. I'm no critic either but a good movie is a good movie and can be appreciated just the same. I have my favorite genres but if its good I have no problem exiting my comfort zone. Take Chicago for example. I hate musicals but seeing that one was ok because it was well put together. Watched that at a friends otherwise I'd have passed on it for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom