• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainboy

Trasher said:
I'm going to.

Why?

:)

Nothing else to do on a boring Thursday evening. Besides, I was mostly reading Bioshock 2 previews, only sort of paying attention to the show.

Until Marty's lovely chords came up, of course.

Hero

Does anyone know any good maps similar to Longest, Boarding Action, Hang 'em High and Damnation? I found a few on Bungie.net but wasn't sure if there were any that were particularly faithful.

EazyB

Banned
Hero said:
Does anyone know any good maps similar to Longest, Boarding Action, Hang 'em High and Damnation? I found a few on Bungie.net but wasn't sure if there were any that were particularly faithful.
I haven't played any myself and I'm not sure if you meant you used Bnet's search function to find maps or if you just randomly stumbled upon some, but here's bnet links to the search results just in case:
Damnation
Longest
Boarding Action
Hang 'em High or maybe Tombstone (H2 remake)

Although many of them may be garbage (and the highest rated/downloaded versions definitely don't mean they're the best ones) it's your best luck of find the keepers. To help download em faster, sign out and sign back in.

Also, check out this Forgehub thread. It's a halo remake contest and a lot of good map makers post their stuff there.

Hope that helps.

Domino Theory said:
HAHA OPEN SEASON IS MINE FUCK YES.
:lol

It's been a long time coming.

Willeth

Are we still talking about netcode? Because FyreWulff is crazy:
FyreWulff said:
Since nobody is going to play Living Dead this weekend, I'm just going to play Double EXP Fyre Mocks Internet Halo Posts.

Today's Post will come from Neogaf.

"God fucking dammit, I am so fucking sick of Bungie's shitty netcode, hit detection, etc. I fucking put 4 fucking shots into someone after he was shot twice by me and another teammate and I fucking get out BRed because my shots apparently don't hit. This happens all the fucking time in games with more than 4 people. Fix your fucking shit Bungie. For now, I'm boycotting your fucking piece of shit of a fucking game. Fuck.

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=75402595 "

post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15578323&postcount=94005

Oh really. I take a look a the film, guessing that he's blaming something on Bungie and not himself. The truth is in the tape.

backflip_fail1.jpg

Fires his first shot. Not only is he not leading, he's not even following his target. This shot is right when his burst fires. It kind of looks like he hit the guy with one bullet, but I can already tell you that the guy was well past it on the host box. It's just barely hitting him on this one, possibly even his gun. He tries to late to sweep the barrel but the shots just go wild. Failure 1.

backflip_fail2.jpg

His supposed second flawless shot that's surely Bungie's fault. Except the burst is first fired here. The first bullet has no spread and so goes sailing past way left of his target. If you watch the film, he's jumping when he makes the shot. From his OWN PERSPECTIVE, the other two shots go right into the box in front of him as he falls back down

Shots fired so far: 2

Bullets that hit the target: 0

backflip_fail3.jpg

This one is slightly different. The first shot of this burst is actually aimed at his target, but then he does the stupid "MLG circle reticle thingy" and he fires the other two shots (where this pic is at) way off to the left.

So far:

Shots fired: 3

Bullets in target: 1 bullet. Not even an entire burst, one bullet.

And then if you look at the film, he misses up and to the right of his target. a couple of times.

tl;dr "hit registration" played no part in this battle loss, backflip. Bad habits you picked up from watching MLG films and just outright missing made you lose this battle. Maybe next time you should put the blame where it properly is instead of using the "lol hit registration" MLG argument that never makes sense because anybody that uses it is a fucking idiot.

Willeth

EazyB said:
:lol :lol :lol

Link?
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=9861537&postcount=1427

I mean, he's probably right if he hasn't chosen the screens specifically to make backflip look foolish, but I have no idea why he does shit like this. The watermarks plastered all over the images are because you folks keep removing them (on stuff like the Midship comparison image) and yeah, he sure knows a lot about Halo, but I just think he cares a little too much. :p

EazyB

Banned
Willeth said:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=9861537&postcount=1427

I mean, he's probably right if he hasn't chosen the screens specifically to make backflip look foolish, but I have no idea why he does shit like this. The watermarks plastered all over the images are because you folks keep removing them (on stuff like the Midship comparison image) and yeah, he sure knows a lot about Halo, but I just think he cares a little too much. :p

Mind blown, all this time us GAFers have had a war with a thread I never knew existed.
Awesome.

some dude said:
some other dude said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=94079

And this guy forgets that Halo 2's BR had a random spread too. Just about every auto and semi-auto in the history of games has had random bullet spread. urgh.
There is no way to help people too stupid to comprehend things. Its not possible. People could 4 shot in halo 3 because the bullets were fucking magnetic. I kept over correcting for the auto aim in halo 2, which is why I'm much better in halo 3.

We have to schedule a thread vs thread throwdown. No one talks about my Ram like that. Even in his old, withered form he could probably take any of those guys down.

I know we have our differences Halo GAF, but this war will bring us together to show the world that you don't fuck with Halo GAF. For those Penny Arcade lurkers out there reading this, know that you've started something terrible. When people look back and say, "hey, whatever happened to those PA halo guys?" They'll receive the gruesome details of their butchering.

Nutter

Bad net-code or not, the hit detection in this game is rubbish. Played a snipers game, where i shot the guy 3 fucking times when he had no shields, yet the fucker still lived. And lets not get started on the supposed 4 shots that happen "sometimes".

Willeth

EazyB said:
Mind blown, all this time us GAFers have had a war with a thread I never knew existed.
Awesome.

We have to schedule a thread vs thread throwdown. No one talks about my Ram like that. Even in his old, withered form he could probably take any of those guys down.

I know we have our differences Halo GAF, but this war will bring us together to show the world that you don't fuck with Halo GAF. For those Penny Arcade lurkers out there reading this, know that you've started something terrible. When people look back and say, "hey, whatever happened to those PA halo guys?" They'll receive the gruesome details of their butchering.

I dunno man. I'm not trying to incite any kind of forum rivalry but the TBK A team would give any team a run for their money IMO. Especially in objective games.

Thermite

Nutter said:
Bad net-code or not, the hit detection in this game is rubish. Played a snipers game, where i shot the guy 3 fucking times when he had no shields, yet the fucker still lived. And lets not get started on the supposed 4 shots that happen "sometimes".

No joke, dude. There were so many fucking times tonight where I know for a fact that I shot a dude with a Sniper when he was one shot, yet he still lived. It's one thing to face people better than you and to have them beat you fair and square; it's completely another to lose because of connections, bad hit detection, or whatever. It's frustrating.

And if that board wants to throw down with us, let me know when.
School yard. 3 o' clock. (IMO)

EazyB

Banned
Willeth said:
I dunno man. I'm not trying to incite any kind of forum rivalry but the TBK A team would give any team a run for their money IMO. Especially in objective games.
I say we incite the shit out of this. I know Blood's been dying for some forum on forum rivalry for quite some time and now the chance has finally arrived.

That and I'm pretty sure Dax could outclass this guy.

Oh yeah, I took a funny picture a while ago and thought I'd share it with you guys.

fistbump.jpg

Nutter said:
Bad net-code or not, the hit detection in this game is rubbish. Played a snipers game, where i shot the guy 3 fucking times when he had no shields, yet the fucker still lived. And lets not get started on the supposed 4 shots that happen "sometimes".
This happens because of latency, not hit detection. Bungie's hit detection is fine. The problem is eight or more computers asking/telling one another where the player is and where the sniper bullet is across countries and continents in fractions of a second. Sometimes it takes them too long to ask/tell, and what you see on your screen is not an accurate representation of what is 'actually' happening.

Blueblur1

:lol :lol This is just what I needed this morning.

And PA forum dudes, screw you. You all secretly wish you could post on the NeoGAF but you can't. Cry Moar :D

Willeth

Well since I won't be playing (and because I have a finger in both pies :p) I might set it up. What say we do a three-match game - one gametype/map of TBK's choice, one of GAF's choice, then one determined by random die roll based on what's available in Matchmaking. Four-man teams.

So I guess I'm internet famous for being a huge prick and liar.

The author failed to mention that I put 4 shots on him after those three and he didn't die.

Falagard

Bad net-code or not, the hit detection in this game is rubish. Played a snipers game, where i shot the guy 3 fucking times when he had no shields, yet the fucker still lived. And lets not get started on the supposed 4 shots that happen "sometimes".

No joke, dude. There were so many fucking times tonight where I know for a fact that I shot a dude with a Sniper when he was one shot, yet he still lived. It's one thing to face people better than you and to have them beat you fair and square; it's completely another to lose because of connections, bad hit detection, or whatever. It's frustrating.

The hit detection and net code in Halo 3 is PURE GOLD compared to the hit detection in Gears 2.

I think it's all relative. Could it be made better? Of course. Is it rubbish? Not even close.

Falagard said:
The hit detection and net code in Halo 3 is PURE GOLD compared to the hit detection in Gears 2.

Yeah the hit detection even in campaign is garbage. I've lost count of how many times my sniper bullet would pass through an enemy's head. Original was the same way for me.

Sean

Banned
Timan said:
Rare's Perfect Dark Zero had/s the best netcode. 32 players almost no lag.

Yeah PDZ's netcode makes Halo 3 netcode look like a complete joke, and it was a launch title too. Say what you want about the gameplay but it was lag free with 2x the players.

Bungle needs to steal Rare's netcode for the next game.

Umm so does Shadowruns IMO.

I actually don't recall seeing a laggy game of it yet, although I've only played maybe 30 games so far.

All my bullets seem to hit if I do it right too.

Timan said:
Thats complete bs. Shows no one plays btb :(

Halo 3 BTB games are much less laggy than Halo 2 BTB games.

EazyB said:
I say we incite the shit out of this. I know Blood's been dying for some forum on forum rivalry for quite some time and now the chance has finally arrived.
*cracks knuckles*

Edit: So Willeth who are the members of this TBK?

EazyB said:
That and I'm pretty sure Dax could outclass this guy.
Oh hell yeah. Definitely. Just make sure I spawn with an AR and he won't have a chance. I'll charge at him, throw a couple of grenades, and charge at him some more.

I might even jump a little.

Edit:
Captain Blood said:
Did a little digging found this http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73881 They don't ever veto SWAT magnums......:/
I want a piece of the action if you guys ever get some Forum vs. Forum matches going. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Botolf said:
Wait, somebody else reads this thread besides us?!

PANIC MODE

hahahahaha

ok so what's going on? Some douche from Penny Arcade forums called out Backflip about his rant on netcode and hit detection. Did said douche link his reply to someone or did one of you guys find it? I would hope that he linked it. And what the fuck is TBK. "The Bad Kids"??
Oh and Eazy that screen shot is fuckin awesome

Willeth

Captain Blood said:
Did a little digging found this http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73881 They don't ever veto SWAT magnums......:/
None of us ever follow those rules. It's just something someone came up with as a rough set because we'd get one guy on our team vetoing something that we could have won easily just by reflex. I wasn't even playing with these guys back then, I've never seen those rules enforced, but then again I play on Eurotime.

Also, JPBrowncoat needs to pick a side. :lol

EDIT: I'm a member of both and I saw it. Asked if I should cross-post it, and Fyre being Fyre (voted bottom of the totem pole at HBO by Bungie, tell your friends) he had no issue with it.

And hey, the first Team Bad Kid joke! That took long enough. :D It's The Bees' Knees.

Tashi0106 said:
Oh and Eazy that screen shot is fuckin awesome
And yeah, I feel obligated to point out that that's Fyre's trophy shot for anyone that didn't get the joke :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Willeth said:
None of us ever follow those rules. It's just something someone came up with as a rough set because we'd get one guy on our team vetoing something that we could have won easily just by reflex. I wasn't even playing with these guys back then.

Also, JPBrowncoat needs to pick a side. :lol

EDIT: I'm a member of both and I saw it. Asked if I should cross-post it, and Fyre being Fyre (voted bottom of the totem pole at HBO by Bungie, tell your friends) he had no issue with it.

And hey, the first Team Bad Kid joke! That took long enough. :D It's The Bees' Knees.

And yeah, I feel obligated to point out that that's Fyre's trophy shot for anyone that didn't get the joke :p

I swear I actually thought it was The Bad Kids lol

and about the screen shot, I though the joke was that Eazy watermarked a screen like that fyre guy did. But I guess it's even funnier now that it's not even Eazy's screen shot lolol

Ok so I decided to take a look at the video since that wolf dude sortof seemed to put a slant on it and when people feel they got ripped off enough to make a video upload it to fileshare and complain on a forum they usually have somewhat of a point, regardless this is what I gather. I try to remain as neutral as possible here.

Start of battle backflip jumps and shoots in the next 3 screenshots I show each bullet burst the nade thrown by the enemy does no damage to anyone.
75520262-Full.jpg

Bullet two is a miss:
75520593-Full.jpg

Bullet three is a hit:
75520615-Full.jpg

This is where I already have disproved Wolf since he said only one bullet hit, perhaps next time you should take a closer look at the videos you are reviewing and stop just trying to make people look like dumbasses, dick.

Only outside help during this battle, Bladed shoots but two bullets of his shot are blocked by the wall the third hits as the enemy strafes into it, notice his health:
75520689-Full.jpg

Notice backflips health as he jumps into the battle:
75520739-Full.jpg

This is the problem I notice, this shot around the corner backflip hits only one bullet the other three stray off just past his right shoulder:
75520768-Full.jpg

Whereas the enemy starts putting three consecutive shots where mostly all of the bullets hit backflip:

Backflip getting assaulted:
75520815-Full.jpg

Showing that backflips third and fourth shots did connect:
75520915-Full.jpg

75520933-Full.jpg

At this moment they are both technically one pure shot away from death. The problem is for some reason the blue guys shots seem to be coming out faster, When backflip jumped in he shot once but before he had shot again the blue player had shot twice. This and the 2 bullets that missed in the second shot as he jumped into the fight is the reason they are tied up from the early damage that he put out and the one bullet bladed or his other teammate put into the enemy.

The final shots they BOTH hit each other. I'm chalking up the conclusion to latency or perhaps even the other player had host.

2 of the last shot's bullets hit the enemy but one missed, on the other hand all 3 bullets hit for the enemy, I feel as if he was one bullet away from death, bladed comes in and gets one bullet to hit and finished off the dude at the end of the clip.

---

In conclusion I think the netcode shines from this clip actually and it highlights how accurate it is counting each individual bullet for several players happening all so fast.

But seriously blame the spread, its WAY too large of a spread for a weapon in such an advanced year at such a small distance, In reality you probably wouldn't even have to lead your shots shooting all the way ACROSS Foundry. Perhaps a gun nut could figure this out by seeing how large foundry is by flag distances or whatever.

Also looking at this in retrospective you can see that if you had known Bladed was going up top to finish and help with the kill you should have not jumped in as jumping seems to throw off the spread a bit, whether it was through aiming or not, but strafed in put your shots on and bailed to the left behind the double box you were at and allowed Bladed to finish it with one shot from the top. Of course it happens so fast I'd never be able to think that quick.

Willeth

His point, though, is backed up by the fact that he's taking in the knowledge we have of Bungie's netcode into account. The first bullet will always go exactly where you're aiming and the rest are spread randomly within a cone, right?

Assuming backflip is not the host, while his film may show that bullet three hits it may well not have done depending on latency. All three of his bullets are slightly behind the player and the host box may well see that bullet miss if the blue guy is just a little further forward on that machine - it's bloody close to missing anyway.

I mean, same conclusion - backflip wasn't playing as well as he thought, so it was that more than the 'shitty netcode'.

EDIT: In fact, looking at the health in the second image when Bladed hits him, it seems like that was the first bullet that hit.

Dani said:
45921590.popcorn.gif

Keep going with the netcode stories and cross forum stuff.
Done.

Fyrecrotch from Penny Arcade said:
Dear Willeth:

I am not 'crazy'.

It took me an entire minute to put that post together because it was so fucking obvious that someone was blaming Bungie for their own problems again.

Also we don't get EXP for beating them in customs.

edit: Actually Willeth, you seem to be doing most of the trashtalking for them. What the fuck is your problem.

edit2: also I don't secretly wish to post on GAF. Forums that pretend to make themselves scarce aren't really high demand. Don't tell me you have limited server space and then still have the "who's online" thing enabled on your front page. I still find the HBO posters of a much higher ... intellectual level.

He soooo wants to be on gaf.

Willeth

Hell, I wish he had an account here, so I could give up being the middleman and let him speak for himself. Although apparently I'm doing a terrible job, so eh.

And it's not like GAF is really an exclusive club, guys. :p

Willeth said:
EDIT: In fact, looking at the health in the second image when Bladed hits him, it seems like that was the first bullet that hit.

Actually the image is taken slightly before the damage is accounted for by bladed, the health removed is the two bullets from backflips, a short bit later more health is removed from bladed's bullet. Theres sort of a timeframe in between the damage dealth and it showing up and the picture was taken in between. The bottom line is 3 bullets had hit him before he even shot back, this means Backflip was one shot up, although backflip had lost a bullets worth of health but the shot he jumped in and missed 2 bullets while the enemy hit 3 bullets caught them up to each other.

I agree with what you are saying though.

It is hard to tell what actually happened as this is backflips video of what happened and not the hosts (if backflip wasn't host) but I believe the health bar shows that what was shown to happen was true since each bullet you can see hit eventually takes away each players health at the right pace.

Either way it was very CLOSE and in no way should be ridiculed the way it was... and stuffff.

vhfive

just finished catching upon the last few pages and a couple of thoughts.
1. why do we care about one instance in one game
2. who gives a shit about other forums
3. the internet is not perfect
4. why is it weekend i go to visit friends its living dead double exp
5. i wont be around for customs
6. i apologize ahead of time for any drunk posting i might do in the next 2 nights

Willeth

xxjuicesxx said:
Either way it was very CLOSE and in no way should be ridiculed the way it was... and stuffff.
No, I think it should. If we take your interpretation of it, then it was a close match that he lost legitimately. But backflip was the bad workman who blamed his tools, and that's worth calling him out on, I think.

Louis Wu

Captain Blood said:
Fyrecrotch from Penny Arcade said:
Heh... sketch calls him 'CryerWulff'. (I can't remember what happened to make them hate each other... but it's pretty funny. Most of FyreWulff's posts at HBO are not particularly inflammatory.)

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt - I was just amused by CB's label. :lol

The RAAGGEEEE level in Backflip's post was kinda absurd, but I don't really know why it irked that guy so much he had to go all CSI on it.

Anyway, it doesn't look like a forum fight will be necessary - they seem to be doing a fine job fighting amongst themselves.

Willeth said:
No, I think it should. If we take your interpretation of it, then it was a close match that he lost legitimately. But backflip was the bad workman who blamed his tools, and that's worth calling him out on, I think.

Calling someone on a different forum out for no other reason than for entertainment is a bit of a dick move if you ask me.

Willeth

Fyre has a tendency to want to correct people who are wrong about Halo. It's something I've never understood. But it results in these long posts on bnet and in the TBK thread that just make me wonder why he cares. He's a great guy to play with, he just likes Halo a lot.

But yeah this has lead to some ridiculous argument over at PA now. I'm not sure whether that's a good outcome or not.

xxjuicesxx said:
the health removed is the two bullets from backflips
I'm not familiar with the Spartan HUD, but isn't that only enough damage to account for one bullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom