• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

Bunch of pages here.

Basically what is the downside to this?

I recalled reading somewhere that the xbone sticks on ps4 slide around a bit and need calibration often. Is that correct?

shandy706

ABSOLUTELY

I really dont care for the DS4's concave stick design (not to mention the other QA issues), so I highly recommend the GelTabz. You can buy them on Amazon for $5. Other than being ugly (wish they would least make a black varient), I adore them. Have sets on both my DS4s and XboxOne controller :)

Thanks, I'll grab some.

On the subject of impressions. I only have like 2 hours worth of "impressions" with it, but I like this controller a LOT more than the DS3 shape wise.

The "start" and "select" buttons being flush is annoying though. I can't find them in the dark, lol. I also keep touching the touchpad trying to pause.

It's not as comfortable to hold as the X1 controller, but I'm happy for now. Hopefully it holds together.

Grimsen

Bunch of pages here.

I recalled reading somewhere that the xbone sticks on ps4 slide around a bit and need calibration often. Is that correct?

The ones I bought often rubbed on the inside of the controller when moving.

That and the fact that the Xbone nubs dug in to my thumbs and left them raw after playing made me go back to DS4-style replacements.

ShapeGSX

That and the fact that the Xbone nubs dug in to my thumbs and left them raw after playing made me go back to DS4-style replacements.

Those must not have been real Xbox One sticks, then.

How in the world can the nubs make your thumbs raw. That seems pretty ridiculous.

I've had zero issues with the replacement Xbone sticks. For those whom have installed the sticks make sure you check your touch pad to make sure it works properly. It's really easy to loosen the wire for it which kills the swipe feature on the pad. You can still press the pad and it'll work but the swipe feature seems to not work if not put together properly.

Nuszka

Swapped mine over a year ago now , not a single issue, the xbox one sticks in my opinion are far superior then the ds4, i even dear to say they are the best sticks i ever played with.

Grimsen

How in the world can the nubs make your thumbs raw. That seems pretty ridiculous.

I bought two separate sets from two different sellers, both recommended by GAFers, and the grip part of nubs is just tiny hard plastic tips, and not rubbery at all. They're a bit rubbery on OG xbone controllers, but I haven't been able to get the same quality with replacement parts.

The XBONE sticks are slightly taller than ps4 sticks, and my hands are pretty small, so my thumbs usually rest on the outer edge of the sticks, and not squarely in the middle. Maybe that's why, I dunno.

Metfanant

Bunch of pages here.

I've got hours and hours of CoD on my DS4 with Xbone sticks...and frankly...

There is no downside...

- the sticks are slightly taller (like a mm tops), but I don't notice at all while playing

- I've never experienced any rubbing inside the controller itself..

- never had the sticks "slide around" or need any sort of calibration

The only negative I can even think might pop up for some is that the sticks feel like there might be a little less resistance when moving them around...but that could be a placebo effect...

Installation is a breeze, just be careful when taking the controller apart...one of the springs on the triggers fell out and took me a few minutes to get it seated properly when going back together...

But other than that, I just wish I did it sooner..I've got some blue sticks to swap into my wave blue DS4 as well

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
And replace that awful ass internal battery inside of the DS4 with something like this internal battery, especially if you wanted to play games wirelessly for a lot longer.

Voila, perfect DS4 controller! :)
Yup this is a perfect battery after changing the wires around I got 14hrs off first charge playing games, leaving it on & UI stuff

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'd change the battery if i wasn't afraid of messing up the spring on the triggers. happened to me on a ds3 when replacing the battery lol

RS4-

Would replacing the sticks be a fix for my left analog stick not always working when I'm holding it in the 12-1 o'clock position?

i'd change the battery if i wasn't afraid of messing up the spring on the triggers. happened to me on a ds3 when replacing the battery lol
I watched the videos a few times to make sure I knew each step of disassembly. If you take your time you'll eventually find the right angle to pull the back off without taking the triggers with it.

linkboy

I just replaced both of my DS4's and the springs popped out on both of this (blasted R trigger).

It's a pain in the ass, but once you figure out how it's supposed to work, it's really not that hard to get the spring back into place.

So I just got those Scuf fangs DS4 trigger extenders. They're nice but I can't use them with my DS4 that has the x1 sticks. When they're on the triggers, they register the input. Just by having them on. I was playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 and my character was aiming and shooting automatically. I put the fangs on my other DS4 that has the original sticks and they work fine. I don't know if it has anything to do with opening the controller. When I put the x1 sticks in everything went smooth. I took it apart without pulling the triggers off. Maybe it has to do with tightness so tomorrow I'm going to adjust the screws on the back and see if that works.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Just had another good session with the new battery when I started playing it only had 2 bars left but I still played from 830am to 530pm before battery told me it needed a charge in that time I probably stopped every hour or so for a smoke so it's a good battery :)

For those who are interested in replacing the battery with a 2000 mAh battery that provides longer battery life, purchase it from these companies
http://www.adafruit.com/product/2011
http://www.atomsindustries.com/ASD1258 or their EBay storefront http://m.ebay.com/itm/171462122567?nav=SEARCH

A number of people have said that 2000 mAh battery sold on EBay and amazon and marketed to work for the DS4 are counterfeits

You need to swap the wires to the JST connector of the 2000 mAh battery to match the configuration of the one that Sony provided in the controller. Really easy to do, follow this guide by reddit member AtariXL.

http://m.imgur.com/a/97f3s

You don't need to cut away any of the plastic area that holds the battery in place nor use glue/tape to adhese the battery to the plastic. Fitting the battery in there will be a tight squeeze, but it'll settle in just fine once you snap together the two ends of the controller again. Just remove the reset button because the battery will push against it. Be sure store that button in a safe place like a ziplock bag.

I've been playing with the controller modified with the new battery for 6 hours now and it's only down to two bars out of three. People have said that they have gotten 12-14 hours out of it. Huge improvement in my opinion!

Has anyone bought any of these analogue sticks:

Black Custom Xbox One & DualShock 4 Controller Thumbsticks / Thumb Analog Stick Replacements (Set of 2) by TekBotic®

Yazuka

Where can I get that battery that people where taking about earlier? Can someone link to an eBay seller with that exact same battery for the DS4?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
For those who are interested in replacing the battery with a 2000 mAh battery that provides longer battery life, purchase it from this company http://www.atomsindustries.com/ASD1258 or their EBay storefront http://m.ebay.com/itm/171462122567?nav=SEARCH

A number of people have said that 2000 mAh battery sold on EBay and amazon and marketed to work for the DS4 are counterfeits

You need to swap the wires to the JST connector of the 2000 mAh battery to match the configuration of the one that Sony provided in the controller. Really easy to do, follow this guide by reddit member AtariXL.

http://m.imgur.com/a/97f3s

You don't need to cut away any of the plastic area that holds the battery in place nor use glue/tape to adhese the battery to the plastic. Fitting the battery in there will be a tight squeeze, but it'll settle in just fine once you snap together the two ends of the controller again. Just remove the reset button because the battery will push against it. Be sure store that button in a safe place like a ziplock bag.

I've been playing with the controller modified with the new battery for 6 hours now and it's only down to two bars out of three. People have said that they have gotten 12-14 hours out of it. Huge improvement in my opinion!
Ya this is the battery I'm getting 12+ hours out of ☺

UnrealEck

Might have to do this myself at some point. I haven't really played with the DS4 (the plastic is even still on the dpad and face buttons) but I gave it a test in an FPS and I absolutely hate the sticks. When you push the stick forward and press it in (for sprinting in games for example) it digs into your thumb because the stick is too hard. After a while it'll begin to hurt my thumb.

The Onesoul's sticks work great, Drotahorror. I've been using them for about a week now and there has been no issues with them whatsoever. The thumb surface never gets slippery and I haven't noticed any dead zone.

schaft0620

ePdNhhS

Had to make the change after Driveclub ruined my sticks and gave me blisters.

Condemned

Banned
Really tempted to try this. How hard is it to get the triggers back in? The DS3 was a nightmare for me to put the triggers/shoulder buttons back.

Really tempted to try this. How hard is it to get the triggers back in? The DS3 was a nightmare for me to put the triggers/shoulder buttons back.
If you do pull the triggers off it can be annoying to get them back on because of the springs, but once you line it up right they snap back in easily.

drotahorror

Broke my controller hah. Got 4 screws out, and was trying to pry it apart, just was not happening. When I finally did , the triggers came with the other part and the springs were all jacked up looking.

Broke my controller hah. Got 4 screws out, and was trying to pry it apart, just was not happening. When I finally did , the triggers came with the other part and the springs were all jacked up looking.

Yeah, you need to be careful with the last part of removing the back of the controller.

I found this video to describe this quite well and he shows how to open the back in a few steps, rather than pulling it straight off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyoH50xteE

you dont really need the springs and the triggers will easily snap into their place with or without covers.

nictron

I bought these sticks Link to Amazon from Teenitor made by OneSoul.

The install went fine and the sticks are great. But I have an issue where one of sticks outer shield rubs the controller. This causes the stick to stick when pushed to the extreme in only one direction. If I press the stick down with great pressure the issue goes away for a couple days but with use it always comes back.

I bought some very fine sandpaper and was going to remove the faulty stick and slim the shield just enough to attempt to resolve this issue.

Is it likely that just this stick is faulty? Should I just but another set? Is there a more reliable seller?

I bought these sticks Link to Amazon from Teenitor made by OneSoul.

The install went fine and the sticks are great. But I have an issue where one of sticks outer shield rubs the controller. This causes the stick to stick when pushed to the extreme in only one direction. If I press the stick down with great pressure the issue goes away for a couple days but with use it always comes back.

I bought some very fine sandpaper and was going to remove the faulty stick and slim the shield just enough to attempt to resolve this issue.

Is it likely that just this stick is faulty? Should I just but another set? Is there a more reliable seller?
I think this is just something that happens wiith the sticks sometimes. Sometimes the dome grinds against the controller. I think someone used a small piece of tape to fix the issue. I don't know exactly what they did but I would look that up.

Sora_N

I just did this...my touchpad doesn't work now. It's my spare DS4 anyways though, I'll figure out later I guess.

Hollow

There's a quick fix for the touchpad. basically you accidentally dislodged the wiring in the touchpad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMw62eB54Do Follow these steps and your touchpad will be as good as new... I had the same problem on both my controllers and it took me 5 minutes to fix...

Yep.

Happened to my DS4 as well when I changed the sticks and was pretty easy to fix.

Ended up switching my sticks back to the default DS4 because I didn't care for the length of the Xbone sticks.

Pons

Neo Member
There's a quick fix for the touchpad. basically you accidentally dislodged the wiring in the touchpad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMw62eB54Do Follow these steps and your touchpad will be as good as new... I had the same problem on both my controllers and it took me 5 minutes to fix...

I had this same problem when I modded the sticks in both ds4 controllers. Easy to knock out that touchpad internal cable even being really careful, which I was. It was an easy fix though.

I didn't use the youtube video linked above for the touchpad fix, used another one, but they are all showing the same thing essentially. Was easy to fix and have had 0 problems since.

Business

My left stick was starting to peel and I decided to give this one a go.

It really feels like you are breaking it all when you open it. I got more parts flying around than I could track, at first I thought the options button was a broken piece. The lightbar band went completely, as in the plastic part that holds it to the board too, and of course the triggers and springs. At that point I thought I had messed up.

At the end of the day it wasn't so terrible, and specially the triggers that I had read they were a pain in the ass to fit back were not that bad. To my horror, when I was done I realized I had left the options button out... so yeah I had to crack it open again, but this time it was much easier. I also repeated the process for a friend and it was so much easier, no triggers flying or anything this time.

Now are these triggers better than the stock PS4? I don't know, they are just different, they are good.

Top Bottom