• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 books. 50 movies. 2015. (Follow Format in OP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
March Update:

New in March:
8 Books | 9 Movies

Books:
Fangirl - Ranbow Rowell - 3/5
Habibi - Craig Thompson - 4/5
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro - 3/5
Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell - 3/5
This is How You Lose Her - Junot Díaz - 4/5
If I Stay - Gayle Foreman - 3/5
A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara - 5/5
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton - 4/5

Movies:
The Guest (2014) - 4/5
Rushmore (1998) - 2/5
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) - 5/5
Never Let Me Go (2010) - 4/5
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014) - 3/5
Whiplash (2014) - 5/5
The Last: Naruto the Movie (2014) - 2/5
Bottle Shock (2008) - 2/5
The Boxtrolls (2014) - 3/5

January Update
February Update

The best things this month were A Little Life (new favorite book), The Outsiders (hallmark of YA fiction that I'd never read),
Kingsman (Fun action movie with some amazing fight scenes), and Whiplash (Everything about it).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki - 16 books | 26 movies

March update. Don't let us down Pau. We need the statistics to make us feel good about ourselves! :D

Books
  • In Search of Lost Time, Volume 1: Swann's Way (1913), Marcel Proust - ★★★★ - What a wonderful read. Kind of lost myself in it and lost track of time. When reading I kind of gave up on 50/50 and just focused on the book. I let it take its time. It was worth it. Now having read it I'm waiting for volume 2 to be delivered so reading some other stuff inbetween.
  • Brave New World (1931), Aldous Huxley - ★★½ - There's some literary value in here but it's not a good book. I "read" this in school (read some of it and cheated my way through whatever assignments were needed) and didn't agree with his views back then (just about what I remember of it) and I don't agree with them now either. His basic outlook on humanity with Shakespeare at the pinnacle is a mystery to me.

Movies

• Ichi the Killer (2001, dir. Takashi Miike) - ★★★ - There's something really wrong with this movie. The gore, perversion and the complete lack of empathy this movie shows is both deeply unsettling and fascinating. I liked it. It's flawed in a lot of ways but Tadanobu Asano really gives this movie something truly unique.

TestMonkey - 28/50 Books | 28/50 Movies​

Books

• The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett
  • Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett
  • The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster
  • The Truth by Terry Pratchett
  • Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett
  • The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable by Terry Pratchett and Paul Kidby
Movies

• Tank Girl
  • Ari Shaffir: Passive Aggressive
  • Men in Black 3
  • Big Hero 6
  • Aziz Ansari: Live at Madison Square Garden
  • Once Upon a Time In Shanghai
  • Hello Kitty Flanagan

March Update!

I'm pretty behind pacing-wise but I'm enjoying this challenge. I didn't read much during the last couple of months, but March has been active again. Finished up a couple of books I half-started (The Time Machine and The Dunwich Horror), and managed to start and finish two new ones (1st To Die and The Martian).

All four were very fun and fast-paced reads. I think I will read a couple shorter fast books concurrently with my meatier novels.

I got a Kindle Paperwhite a week ago. It makes a huge difference. Easier on my eyes and more and enjoyable.

Mumei

Update:

Mumei - 27/50 Books | 21/50 Movies

Books
  • The Complete Cosmicomics, by Italo Calvino
  • Cry, the Beloved Country, by Alan Paton
  • A Massacre in Memphis: The Race Riot That Shook the Nation One Year After the Civil War, by Stephen V. Ash
  • Satantango, by László Krasznahorkai
  • The Deluge: The Great War, America and the Remaking of the Global Order, 1916-1931, by Adam Tooze

Movies

• Song of the Sea
  • Cinderella (2015)
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • The Imitation Game
  • Still Alice

Slow month for me on these lists. I got more done on television, though~

Cade

Not sure exactly what all I read this month, but highlights were:
Books:
  • No Country for Old Men - Just excellent from start to finish. Perfectly complements the movie.
  • Ubik - Weird, but enjoyable, and the most non-frustrating Dick book I read this month

Movies:
  • Miller's Crossing - Great period piece with trademark Coen mix of humor and drama and violence.
  • Nightcrawler - Weird little movie, but very enjoyable. Jake Gyllenhaal is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.
  • Prisoners - Excellent film, tense and disturbing from start to horrifying finish.
  • 22 Jump Street - I liked this better than the first, which is apparently not the norm, but I felt this one had better jokes, less focus on dumb/gross-out humor, and the jokes about it being the same movie again were great.
  • Children of Men - Sci-fi/thriller/post-apoc with action and emotion throughout. Very good.

Maklershed - 14/50 books | 23/50 movies | 4 games

Books
9. The Witch of Hebron
10. A Scanner Darkly
11. Less Than Zero
12. The Black Echo
13. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
14. The Black Ice

Movies
14. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
15. Big City Blues
16. Nightcrawler
17. On Deadly Ground
18. Topper
19. Safe Haven
20. Deep Blue Sea
21. The Great Gatsby
22. The Equalizer
23. Lake Placid

Games
4. The Order

choodi

Banned
Update for March

Books
  • Forward the Foundation [audio book] - Isaac Asimov (B)
  • Ringworld [audio book] - Larry Niven (B)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain (C)

Movies
  • The Lego Movie (B)

I finally finished the Foundation series and am glad that I did the whole thing in one go. Such an imaginative work and the world building is up there with the best.

Ring world was awesome too.

I'm really enjoying this classic science fiction kick that I'm on.

I wanted to read Tom Sawyer because I have always neglected reading the classics and am on a mission to improve my all-round reading list.

The Lego movie was great. Loved the hook, even if I picked it early on.

Apt101

Apt101 - 8/50 books | 9/50 films

Books
  1. Robert Galbraith - The Silkworm (2014) - ★★★★
  2. George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire: A Dance with Dragons (2011) - ★★★½
  3. Nigel Poulton - Data Storage Networking (2014) - ★★★★
  4. Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane (2013) - ★★★★
  5. Mark Greaney - On Target (Court Gentry series) (2010) - ★★
  6. Joe Hill - NOS4A2 (2010) - ★★★
  7. Grady Hendrix - Horrorstör (2014) - ★★★½
  8. Stephen King - Mr Mercedes (2014) - ★★

Films
  1. American Sniper (2014) - ★★★
  2. John Wick (2014) - ★★★★½
  3. Louis CK: Live at the Comedy Store (2015) - ★★★
  4. Atari: Game Over (2014) - ★★★★
  5. The Babadook (2014) - ★★
  6. Going Clear (2015) - ★★★★½
  7. It Follows (2015) ★★★★★
  8. Noah (2014) ★★★½
  9. The Great Invisible (2014) ★★★½

X-Frame

Thought I was going crazy when I checked my standing in the OP but looks like the totals weren't updated there since February. Phew.

Are they not going to be updated monthly anymore?

Westlo

March update...

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1) ★★★½
The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) ★★★★
The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2) ★★★★½
The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3) ★★★★
Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2) ★★★½

Got on my bike in regards to reading, got through 5 novels from 10th march to the end of it, nearly finished another one. Really enjoyed the Lightbringer series so far, think I read all 3 novels in like 13 days... hoping it concludes well in 2016.... Riftwar saga otoh is alright, didn't really like the way the first novel just came to an end, while ordering the rest of the 3 books in the saga (as well as the trilogy after it) I saw that it was pretty much split into two books. Currently reading Silverthorn the 3rd novel in the series, about 100 pages to go, don't know if I'll jump into the last book or go with something different.

Also Netflix just launched in Australia, so I'll probably start to watch a few movies once I get through House of Cards... (spacey da gawd) still no idea why Raid 2 is on it but it's missing the first one...

Pau

I've been running away from this thread because it's the one responsibility I had so far where I wasn't accountable. :(

I've been running away from this thread because it's the one responsibility I had so far where I wasn't accountable. :(

To be fair, I updated it the past two years and it becomes a giant pain in the ass. I was dreading the end of every month by last October. I don't blame you.

Personally, I'm fine with people just tracking their own progress and doing a big update at the end of the year with everyone's final tally. That's just me, but I'm speaking from past experience.

People love the stats, but they're ultimately meaningless. :)

Pau

To be fair, I updated it the past two years and it becomes a giant pain in the ass. I was dreading the end of every month by last October. I don't blame you.

Personally, I'm fine with people just tracking their own progress and doing a big update at the end of the year with everyone's final tally. That's just me, but I'm speaking from past experience.

People love the stats, but they're ultimately meaningless. :)
I wrote a program that pulls the data from the spreadsheet and puts it into the format for the ranking, so really the only thing that needs to be done every month is updating the spreadsheet... I really should just stop being so lazy. :(

I wrote a program that pulls the data from the spreadsheet and puts it into the format for the ranking, so really the only thing that needs to be done every month is updating the spreadsheet... I really should just stop being so lazy. :(

I'd say use ACL but that's probably crazy expensive.

I wish I was computer savvy enough to have done something like that, but I skipped most of my computer classes in high school and college. :)

No pressure Pau! I'm having a blast reading everyone's monthly updates. The rankings and stuff is a bonus. Really appreciate the work you've done thus far!

allegate - 23/50 Books, 24/50 Movies

Books
23. Last to Rise - Francis Black, April 8th, 2.5/5

Updated original post.

Finally finished the series. Something I could never get around: The series starts with guns just being invented and they somehow were already pistol sized. Not only that, but by the end of the series they had rifles that could hit at several thousand yards. And they didn't start with muzzle loaders, they started with honest-to-god pistols. And they had a way to make magic turn into energy but somehow couldn't grasp electricity. And electricity was in the book! They just couldn't figure it out.

Suspensions of disbelief only get you so far in fiction when you have to suspend things that weigh a ton.

Doc Az

Neo Member
Can I just say how weirdly satisfying this has been? I mean, not only have I finally got around to watching some movies that had been on my watchlist for a while, but it's also given me an excuse to visit GAF daily, something I don't really do at all.

...I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki - 20 books | 32 movies

Books
  • Les Boulevards de ceinture (1972), Patrick Modiano - ★★★ - First time I read anything by Modiano that isn't viewed from an innocent point of view. He still keeps the narrator at a distance from everything that's happening to him. Like he never really partakes in anything that's happening just observing. And the routine of a character trying to figure out their daddy issues is strong with Modiano.
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Arthur C. Clarke - ★★★½ - I tried to read 2001 about ten years ago. Got halfway and stopped. Decided to try it again and this time I really liked it. I wasn't as biased towards the movie and just let it play out. It was exciting and went through the motions. I understand why Kubrick didn't feel the need to spell things out as that would dimish the effect of Dave's odyssey.
  • Rue des Boutiques Obscures (1978), Patrick Modiano - ★★★½ - It starts off so different than most other Modiano-books. It really stands out from the rest of his works in that that it grabs the reader and offers them a real mystery. I've grown a bit weary of Modiano but this book really separetes themselves from the rest. However as strong as the first half is the second half kind of doesn't go anywhere--a common theme in Modiano's works.
  • The Martian (2011), Andy Weir - ★★★½ - What a lovely science fiction novel. The two major aspects I liked was: 1) the science, it lends itself to credibility which makes Mark Watney a 21th century Crusoe, and; 2) Mark Watney isn't a very typical protagonist, his constant nerdiness and off-beat humor really makes for the anti-hero this novel deserves. Combine these two and you have a success.

Movies

• Tonari no Totoro (1998, dir. Hayao Miyazaki) - ★★★★½ - More-or-less the perfect children's movie. It brings joy and mystery without the need to threaten the world. It's a perfect little fairy tale. I need to watch more of Studio Ghilbli's movies.
  • I Am Legend (2007, dir. Francis Lawrence) - ★★½ - An interesting concept that's ruined by people not understanding what they want to do with it. Will Smith does some decent acting in this. There's some fun things going on on-screen but they never amount to anything. Then there's the bullshit butterfly-god ending that doesn't make any sense.
  • Godzilla (2014, dir. Gareth Edwards) - ★½ - I thought about it and I don't get what this movie is supposed to be about. As soon as they introduce a lead character or someone to care about they just kill them off or make them the most boring part of the scene. It should have been a movie about two scientists hunting down Godzilla. Now they've ended up with a movie that even the Emerich-version manages to run laps around.
  • Patriot Games (1992, dir. Phillip Noyce) - ★★½ - The american power fantasy brought to you by american power fantasy author Tom Clancy. My favorite of the bunch is still Hunt for Red October followed closely by the underrated Sum of All Fears. Those two are actually good, this is just really okay.
  • Clear and Present Danger (1994, dir. Philip Noyce) - ★★★ - So now I've seen them all. I had actually seen this before, or parts of it. Not the whole of it. Certain scenes were a bit eary because I could recite the lines but I didn't remember the scene. It doesn't go full-blown red blood american patriot until the very end. Willem Dafoe steals the show. I could watch a whole movie around his character.
  • Edge of Tomorrow (2014, dir. Doug Liman) - ★★★½ - I thought this would be better. As it stands it's good and thoroughly entertaining if a bit predictable. Tom Cruise does what he does best as there is no other actor today that can portray physically pushing yourself to the limit as good as he can. McQuarrie's name on the writing credits gives me great hope for the next Mission: Impossible movie.

Necrovex

I used to be confounded by book people saying watching movies were so much harder than reading lengthy novels. I've reached that epiphany as I filled out my list. Now I don't know why it's so much easier to read a 600 page novel than it is to watch a 2 1/2hr film.

• Patriot Games (1992, dir. Phillip Noyce) - ★★½ - The american power fantasy brought to you by american power fantasy author Tom Clancy. My favorite of the bunch is still Hunt for Red October followed closely by the underrated Sum of All Fears. Those two are actually good, this is just really okay.
  • Clear and Present Danger (1994, dir. Philip Noyce) - ★★★ - So now I've seen them all. I had actually seen this before, or parts of it. Not the whole of it. Certain scenes were a bit eary because I could recite the lines but I didn't remember the scene. It doesn't go full-blown red blood american patriot until the very end. Willem Dafoe steals the show. I could watch a whole movie around his character.

It's really strange that there has never been a John Clark movie by now. Most of Clancy's books revolve around Jack Ryan and now Jack Ryan junior, but John Clark has several books dedicated to him and his clandestine activities.

We have had Clark featured in other movies, like Dafoe in Danger and Liev Schreiber in Sum of All Fears, but nothing focusing on Clark as a whole.

My hope was that Shadow Recruit kicks off a new franchise that they could introduce Clark into in the second one, then make a spin-off film, but with how mediocre Shadow Recruit did at the box office I doubt that happens now.

I used to be confounded by book people saying watching movies were so much harder than reading lengthy novels. I've reached that epiphany as I filled out my list. Now I don't know why it's so much easier to read a 600 page novel than it is to watch a 2 1/2hr film.

I'm feeling exactly the same way. I thought that I would be flying through movie after movie but, I can barely make it through one. My books are filling out at a much steadier rate.

Mumei

It's often easier to find twenty minutes here and a half hour there and a lunch break here or there to get through a book than it is to set aside two to three hours one evening to watch a film when maybe you'd rather catch up on that show you were watching on Netflix or whatever.

Or at least that's my experience.

Piecake

It's often easier to find twenty minutes here and a half hour there and a lunch break here or there to get through a book than it is to set aside two to three hours one evening to watch a film when maybe you'd rather catch up on that show you were watching on Netflix or whatever.

Or at least that's my experience.

What did you think of The Deluge and Race and Reunion? Those two books have been very high on my list

kinoki

It's really strange that there has never been a John Clark movie by now. Most of Clancy's books revolve around Jack Ryan and now Jack Ryan junior, but John Clark has several books dedicated to him and his clandestine activities.

We have had Clark featured in other movies, like Dafoe in Danger and Liev Schreiber in Sum of All Fears, but nothing focusing on Clark as a whole.

My hope was that Shadow Recruit kicks off a new franchise that they could introduce Clark into in the second one, then make a spin-off film, but with how mediocre Shadow Recruit did at the box office I doubt that happens now.

It's been so long since I saw Sum of All Fears but I don't remember Liev Schreiber playing John Clark. He's one of my favorite parts of that movie. Actually there's a lot to enjoy in Sum of All Fears. But one thing is certain: we need a John Clark movie!

Yea, Shadow Recruit never really went anywhere and I doubt there'll be a second movie. They need to re-boot Ryan again and this time actually try to make it work. With a larger focus on John Clark.

Mumei

What did you think of The Deluge and Race and Reunion? Those two books have been very high on my list

I could have sworn I responded to this post yesterday. I must not have submitted the post. Well, whatever.

I enjoyed both, though I found The Deluge less engaging than Tooze's previous book, The Wages of Destruction. I chalk this up to the inter-war period being less interesting to me than the subject of the latter book, but on its own terms I think it was as good. I enjoyed Race and Reunion, though I suspect I might have gotten more out of it if I hadn't already listened to David Blight's Open Yale course on the Civil War and Reconstruction or read his recent article in The Atlantic. As it was, it felt like a retread of information I was largely familiar with. So, it was good but not perspective-shifting.

A bit early but here's my April update.

Threads l 13/50 Books l 66/50 Films

Books:
12. Driven - James Sallis - ★½
13. Glory In Death - JD Robb - ★★★

Films:
52. The Call (2013) - Brad Anderson - ★★
53. Summer Storm (2004) - Marco Kreuzpaintner - ★★★½
54. Whiplash (2014) - Damien Chazelle - ★★★★
55. It Follows (2015) - David Robert Mitchell - ★★★★½
56. Monster Pies (2013) - Lee Galea - ★★
57. Metaffliction - Nathan Barillaro - ★★★
58. Winter's Bone (2010) - Debra Granik - ★★★★
59. Like Crazy (2011) - Drake Doremus - ★★½
60. I Killed My Mother (2009) - Xavier Dolan - ★★★★★
61. Enemy (2013) - Denis Villeneuve - ★★★★½
62. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) - Ana Lily Amirpour - ★★★★
63. Rosemary's Baby (1968) - Roman Polanski - ★★★★★
64. Stage Fright (2014) - Jerome Sable - ★★½
65. Stoker (2013) - Chan-wook Park - ★★★½
66. The Living End (1992) - Gregg Araki - ★★★★

Favorite book of April: Glory In Death
Favorite film of April: I Killed My Mother

---

Starting to fall behind with books pretty badly. Hopefully I can finish more in the upcoming months.

tmarques

Early April update. Not going to finish anything by tomorrow anyway.

Watching Hedda Gabler with Ingrid Bergman made me sad I have already read everything there is to be read by Ibsen. I need to revisit some of his stuff when I'm done with the 50 books this year.

allegate - 27/50 Books, 24/50 Movies

Books
22. V for Vendetta novelization, April 3rd, 4.5/5
23. Last to Rise - Francis Black, April 8th, 2.5/5
24. Nobody Gets the Girl - James Maxey, April 11th, 4/5
25. The Broken Lands - Kate Milford, April 17th, 4/5
26. Holmes on the Range - Steve Hockensmith, April 21st, 4/5
27. The Necromancer - Jonathan L. Howard, April 29th, 3.5/5

Movies
23. Godzilla (2014), April 3rd, 4/5
24. Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties, April 4th, 2.5/5

Updated original post.

The tone of the beginning of The Necromancer did not hold through to the end which saddens me. It started so promisingly - like a book written by Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry with some Monty Python thrown in for good measure - but by the middle it lost some of that soul (no pun intended) and it was practically gone by the end. But then the last five or so pages brought an decent ending that almost redeemed it. I'm hesitantly excited for the second.

Original post updated until April.

Sky Interloper 11/50 Books | 5/50 Movies

Somewhat better than expected, this month rekindled my love for ancient Roman history. Between books and finally watching Gladiator (and still going through Rome) this was quite the thematic month.

Mumei

Update:

Mumei - 32/50 Books | 22/50 Movies

Books
  • When Boys Become Boys: Development, Relationships, and Masculinity, by Judy Y. Chu
  • Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory, by David W. Blight
  • A Little Life: A Novel, by Hanya Yanagihara
  • Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, by Haruki Murakami
  • The Voyage of the Basilisk: A Memoir by Lady Trent #3

Movies
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Well, I also had ~40 volumes of manga and one medium-sized comic collection this time. I need to read more, though. I've fallen behind last year by page count at the same point. :(

Narag

Narag - 27/50 Books | 23/50 Movies

Wanted to avoid another terrible December where I had to read a billion books so got back in touch with my inner weeb to great success.

12. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 3: Demon Deathchase ★★★
13. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 4: Tale of the Dead Town ★★★★
14. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 5: The Stuff of Dreams ★★★★
15. Nagaru Tanigawa - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ★★★★
16. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 6: Pilgrimage of the Sacred and the Profane ★★★
17. Romulus Hillsborough - Shinsengumi: The Shogun's Last Samurai Corps ★★
18. Haruki Murakami -Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage ★★★★
19. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 7: Mysterious Journey to the North Sea - Part One ★★★★
20. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Noble V: Greylancer ★★★★
21. Ryūnosuke Akutagawa - Rashomon: And Other Stories ★★★★
22. Kazuma Kamachi - A Certain Magical Index, Vol. 1 ★
23. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 8: Mysterious Journey to the North Sea - Part Two ★★★
24. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 9: The Rose Princess ★★
25. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 10: Dark Nocturne ★
26. Yei Theodora Ozaki - Japanese Fairy Tales ★★★
27. Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance ★★★★

Update:

orthodoxy1095 - 06/50 Books | 15/50 Movies

Books
6. White Noise by Don Delilo - Apr. 19 - ★★★½

Movies
12. Interstellar - Apr. 3 - ★★★★½
13. Redline - Apr. 18 - ★★★★½
14. Ghosts in the Shell - Apr. 18 - ★★★★
15. Sword of the Stranger - Apr. 25. - ★★★★½

Bleugh. Not a great month. I didn't have nearly enough time to read, so I only managed to finish one I started last month. On the bright side, the movies I watched were all fairly good (although heavily dominated by anime). Interstellar was a real nice treat, as was Redline (totally lived up to the hype). Hopefully once finals are over by mid-May, I'll have time to read again!

April update:

Books

8. The Shining - Stephen King - ★★★★★
9. Fade To Black - Tim McBain and L.T. Vargus - ★★★★½
10. A Study in Scarlet - Arthur Conan Doyle - ★★★★★
11. The Colour out of Space - H. P. Lovecraft - ★★★★★
12. Anais of Brightshire - Jamie Wilson - ★★★½
13. The Deadly Dozen: America's 12 Worst Serial Killers - Robert Keller - ★★★
14. Batman: A Death In the Family - Jim Starlin - ★★★½
15. The Walking Dead, Vol. 4: The Heart's Desire - Robert Kirkman - ★★★
16. Spider-Man: Torment - Todd McFarlane - ★★★★★​

Movies

6. Fast Five (2011) - Dir. Justin Lin - ★★★★★
7. Killer Legends (2014) - Dir. Joshua Zeman - ★★★★​

Slacking like crazy on movies. But my book game is strong. Currently reading Imajica which is incredible. I've been taking my time with it. Reading some other, smaller books alongside it as well.

I really enjoyed The Shining. Definitely need to read some more King this year.

Fade to Black was a surprisingly enjoyable read with some nice humor in it. The main character was very easy to relate to. Main plot is really weird, curious to see where it goes in the 2nd and 3rd books.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for good True Crime books?

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
April Update:

Flips360 - 15/50 books | 16/50 movies

Just three books and no movies this month. Thought I'd read more since I would just lay on Indonesian beaches most of April, but I ended up being drunk most of the time.

TestMonkey - 35/50 Books | 29/50 Movies​

Books

• Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez
  • Flash Boys by Michael Lewis
  • Pacific Rims by Rafe Bartholomew
  • The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
  • Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
  • The Martian by Andy Weir
  • Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Movies

• Chris Porter: Ugly and Angry

Have started to fall behind on new movies. Not really motivated to maintain a balance due to the fact that the OP is no longer being updated. Will probably do a Netflix binge to get it back on track one of these weekends.

kinoki

April has been a slow month. Taking the time to really read In Search of Lost Time is taking its time. Takes about two weeks to get through each part. Not that buying a new apartment the last couple of weeks did anything to give me more time. Things should be settling down soon. My main post is up to date atleast.

Hopefully Pau will come back and deliver us with a freshly updated OP. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom