• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence (Indiana Governor) signs Religous Freedom Bill into Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. Hopefully they can also get sexual orientation added to a protected class, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's a start. If Pence runs for governor, he'll have this stain on his record that might push folks towards a moderate Democrat. When/if he runs, you'll get ads about "Hey, remember when Mike Pence made Indiana look bad and cost the state millions?" So that could be good. I still think the legislature will stay very Republican, though it may lose some seats so there is no supermajority.

But yeah, unless businesses put the gun to their head, I don't know if sexual orientation will be listed as a protected class anytime soon. It would be great for the businesses to do that, but we'll see.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's a start. If Pence runs for governor, he'll have this stain on his record that might push folks towards a moderate Democrat. When/if he runs, you'll get ads about "Hey, remember when Mike Pence made Indiana look bad and cost the state millions?" So that could be good. I still think the legislature will stay very Republican, though it may lose some seats so there is no supermajority.

But yeah, unless businesses put the gun to their head, I don't know if sexual orientation will be listed as a protected class anytime soon. It would be great for the businesses to do that, but we'll see.

Maybe when we get Governor David Letterman.

Maybe when we get Governor David Letterman.

"Uhhh, Speaker Bosma...uhhh, you got any gum? HAA HAA!"

No, but seriously, we voted for Barack Obama and Joe Donnelly in this state. Pence won the governor's seat in the same election as Donnelly but got fewer votes than Joe. Probably because Richard Mourdock made extremely right wing statements about abortion and lost credibility. You could apply that same logic to Pence now and people would easily buy in to that.

Pence easily lost a lot in this debacle. You have the local newspaper basically calling him out as out of his league, businesses are pissed and will probably donate to his competition.

If the Democrats can find a well known Democrat in the mold of an Evan Bayh, they would stand a perfectly decent chance at winning the governor's seat.

EDIT: Speaking of the Star, here was an interesting graphic I saw on their website:

RFRA_USMap_large.jpg

EDIT 2: And Angie's List is standing firm against the fix, saying there need to be LGBT protections statewide, not just a statement in the RFRA.

Good as time as any to keep pushing for this while people are pissed off about it. This fix only increases the chance that people will stop caring and LGBT protections become less likely.

Cornburrito is not a lawyer. I think she made a thread about working a non-paying job and getting abused by her boss.

Anyway, if you're doing cater to a wedding, do it right: all you can eat BBQ rib night at the sizzler!

Lol wut. I'm not a lawyer but I also never made that sort of thread.

Razmos

The gofundme page is now at $200,000.

So inspirational.
Look at them all, standing up for their freedom to actively deny others freedom. Adorable.

So inspirational.
Look at them all, standing up for their freedom to actively deny others freedom. Adorable.

The invisible hand at work, as nature intended.

btw, this is how it would go if Libertarians had their way. They think discrimination should not be illegal. It should up to the business- let the free market sort it out. Unfortunately, you'd have hate groups spreading their money around to support those businesses, regardless of the community's rejection of their discrimination.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think, in their minds, there's no discrepancy here. They're not discriminating off their own bat! They have to discriminate because their religion decrees it.

Except their religion does not say that and THEY KNOW IT!

ivysaur12

Banned
It would be quite amazing if the end game of this was that religious minorities are protected with explicit protections against discriminating against gay customers, as well as non-discrimination legislation for LGBT people.

Like, great job, social conservatives. You did it!

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
So inspirational.

That's not what the pizza place is doing. Freedom does not entail the power to force another person (who isn't the government) to do what he or she doesn't want to do.

Dude Abides

Banned
That's not what the pizza place is doing. Freedom does not entail the power to force another person (who isn't the government) to do what he or she doesn't want to do.

Sure it is. If you can get pizza from N-1 pizza places, you are less free than if you could get it from N pizza places.

Link

The Autumn Wind

So inspirational.
Gonna be hilarious when the owners just decide to shut down and retire with the money they've gotten and say "Peace out!" to their supporters.

FyreWulff

You connect yourself to the public roads and resources and participate in the social contract. You can't say "I sell pizza" but then selectively elect who can or cannot come in and buy pizza.

It's not an extra burden for a gay wedding to buy pizza than a straight wedding, or for a gay or trans person to buy pizza from you vs a straight person. They aren't asking the pizza location to sponsor the wedding, nor are they being forced to say "we support gay weddings". They are offering a product and are trying to have their cake (all the benefits of being hooked into the social infrastructure) and eat it too (reject components of the social structure they don't like)

The actual truth of this strategy by conservatives is that the road to defeat is pretty clear, so they've moved on from imposing their views on everyone else via law and are attempting to make it financially / structurally harder to be a non-Christian non-straight person. You hit a critical mass of businesses pulling this shit and people have to fake being straight or Christian just to live life. Hence the government has to step in as a referee and ideally tell everyone that you have to serve customers your advertised product or don't sell product at all.

HylianTom

Banned

A telling statement.

A country where someone has to wonder whenever they enter a public establishment, "will they serve my type here?"

Nice.

lol, in your fantasy world what is exactly is discrimination?

Also it's pretty incredible how completely social conservatives have lost the battle regarding gay rights as a country wide issue. I can't wait to see this issue come up in the republican primaries and watch as the candidates further implode their chances.

Okay, lets make lists and compare.

Yay, let's!

I'm going to make a list of kids who killed themselves and/ or were beaten to death because they're gay to start :D

It would be quite amazing if the end game of this was that religious minorities are protected with explicit protections against discriminating against gay customers, as well as non-discrimination legislation for LGBT people.

Like, great job, social conservatives. You did it!

Seriously. Pence & this wave of RFRAs are like the Fred Phelps of legalized discrimination against gay people. They're ultimately helping LGBT people way more than hurting.

HylianTom

Banned
Yay, let's!

I'm going to make a list of kids who killed themselves and/ or were beaten to death because they're gay to start :D

I'd be a hell of a lot more magnanimous in victory, but that ship sailed a looooooong fucking time ago, its trail littered with bodies and ruined lives along the way. Surveying the wreckage, I'd say that having to make pizza for anyone who walks through the door seems pretty damn insubstantial compared to what we've seen.

And I'd take the advocates of "religious freedom" much more seriously if they were consistent in their alleged devotion to a belief set, but the picking and choosing of which sins to focus upon points to something else.

I'd be a hell of a lot more magnanimous in victory, but that ship sailed a looooooong fucking time ago, its trail littered with bodies and ruined lives along the way. Surveying the wreckage, I'd say that having to make pizza for anyone who walks through the door seems pretty damn insubstantial compared to what we've seen.

And I'd take the advocates of "religious freedom" much more seriously if they were consistent in their alleged devotion to a belief set, but the picking and choosing of which sins to focus upon points to something else.

Exactly. Guilless's arguments are almost obscene to me. As if this hasn't been a long, bloody, painful battle for LGBT people to start to have a safe, open, equal place in society. The notion that religious oppressors are somehow victims is fucking disgusting and thankfully it's being seen by everyone now as the complete joke that it is.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I also suppose it's just an incredible coincidence that all these states are passing "Religious Freedom" bills just after their same-sex marriage bans were ruled unconstitutional.

Armaros

I also suppose it's just an incredible coincidence that all these states are passing "Religious Freedom" bills just after their same-sex marriage bans were ruled unconstitutional.

And municipalities were passing ordiances not allowing gay discrimination.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/politics/indiana-religious-freedom-law-fix/index.html

"... what was intended as a message of inclusion - inclusion of all religious beliefs - was interpreted as a message of exclusion, especially for the LGBT community. Nothing could have been truer... *ahem* further from the truth, but it was clear that the perception had to be addressed. Hoosier hospitality had to be restored." - Brian Bosma, Indiana House Speaker

Hah, what a slip of the tongue.

Amir0x

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/politics/indiana-religious-freedom-law-fix/index.html

"... what was intended as a message of inclusion - inclusion of all religious beliefs - was interpreted as a message of exclusion, especially for the LGBT community. Nothing could have been truer... *ahem* further from the truth, but it was clear that the perception had to be addressed. Hoosier hospitality had to be restored." - Brian Bosma, Indiana House Speaker

Hah, what a slip of the tongue.

Haha. That's like when that mayor in the 60s slipped up and said "coons"

At least I find it heartening how badly Pence's attempt at a dog whistle backfired. It shows how far, and how fast, society has come along. Still a long way to go of course.

Metaphoreus

If what the business doesn't want to do is adhere to the prevailing decency of civilization, then they should be forced.

I'm honestly not a fan of the moral-busybody model of government. Lots of people believe lots of things that would offend notions of prevailing decency. The LGBT movement probably wouldn't be where it is today if we adopted your theory of forced conformity.

Oh, and that "prevailing decency"? Doesn't really support you on this. Shall we enforce it, then?

Sure it is. If you can get pizza from N-1 pizza places, you are less free than if you could get it from N pizza places.

This begs the question of whether freedom entails entitlement to the services of others. It doesn't. It may well be a good idea for the government to require that merchants provide their services without discriminating on the basis of certain innate characteristics, but we don't have to pretend that that requirement isn't an imposition limiting the freedom of the provider; or that it's absence is an imposition limiting the freedom of the requester.

[1]You connect yourself to the public roads and resources and participate in the social contract. You can't say "I sell pizza" but then selectively elect who can or cannot come in and buy pizza.

[2] so they've moved on from imposing their views on everyone else via law and are attempting to make it financially / structurally harder to be a non-Christian non-straight person.

[1] I don't buy most arguments that are based on a "social contract." Where in the "social contract" does it specify that taking all comers is a prerequisite (or consequence) of doing business? The answer is, "nowhere," because there's no such thing as a social contract. There are laws that should be followed (natch), but when there isn't a law on point--and in most U.S. jurisdictions, there isn't--you'd need more to justify creating a new law than, "But roads!" That reasoning justifies every requirement imposed by government. "You use the government's roads, therefore you must do X" becomes true for every value of "X," which can't be right.

In any event, government impositions are the opposite of "freedom," which is the subject of the current discussion.

[2] Which side just destroyed a small business because the owners' daughter gave the wrong answer to a purely hypothetical question?

The invisible hand at work, as nature intended.

btw, this is how it would go if Libertarians had their way. They think discrimination should not be illegal. It should up to the business- let the free market sort it out. Unfortunately, you'd have hate groups spreading their money around to support those businesses, regardless of the community's rejection of their discrimination.

Yeah, I understand the libertarian point of view on this issue and can see the appeal, but in reality it's dreadfully naive and pretty much always advanced by people who wouldn't ever be denied services they wanted/needed.

Metaphoreus

Can I please be destroyed to the tune of $200,000 of wingnut welfare?

Is the charity of your political opponents supposed to mitigate the viciousness demonstrated by your political associates? Because it kind of does the opposite.

I'm honestly not a fan of the moral-busybody model of government. Lots of people believe lots of things that would offend notions of prevailing decency. The LGBT movement probably wouldn't be where it is today if we adopted your theory of forced conformity.

Did you just imply that gay people are better off having suffered through discrimination and various forms of violence instead of a hypothetical government forced conformity happening years ago?

Metaphoreus

Did you just imply that gay people are better off having suffered through discrimination and various forms of violence instead of a hypothetical government forced conformity happening years ago?

Is this a real question?

If so, you misunderstand what I mean by "prevailing decency." It doesn't mean "standards of decency prevailing in the present," but "standards of decency prevailing at a given time."

Wilsongt

Is this a real question?

If so, you misunderstand what I mean by "prevailing decency." It doesn't mean "standards of decency prevailing in the present," but "standards of decency prevailing at a given time."

Again, I find your hard-on for words and the way they are arranged in sentences fascinating. How many times have you asked someone to define "is" or "it"?

Is this a real question?

I'm focused on the "gays rights movement wouldn't be this far along with forced conformity" thing. It seems to imply the struggle had to happen for people to start giving the movement and gay people respect.

Dead Man

Why do you guys bother asking Metaphoreus any questions? You know they will dodge around them. No point playing that game with them.

Metaphoreus

Again, I find your hard-on for words and the way they are arranged in sentences fascinating. How many times have you asked someone to define "is" or "it"?

What medium do you propose Fenderputty and I use to communicate, if not words? And if words, do you propose that I permit a person to misunderstand me, or that I correct his or her misunderstanding?

I'm focused on the "gays rights movement wouldn't be this far along with forced conformity" thing. It seems to imply the struggle had to happen for people to start giving the movement and gay people respect.

No, it doesn't. It means that laws enforcing prevailing decency would have (and did) cut against LGBT folks for most of our history. That standard also suggests that we should provide exemptions from serving same-sex weddings based on the religious beliefs of the service-provider, given the poll results I linked to above. If you think there's an argument against that--or if you think that Scalia is wrong when he says laws against homosexuality are A-OK based on public morality--then you agree with me that "prevailing decency" is a bad standard for judging laws.

Dead Man

Seconded. He's either a joke poster who likes argument for the sake of argument or an actual bigot

Indeed.

What medium do you propose Fenderputty and I use to communicate, if not words? And if words, do you propose that I permit a person to misunderstand me, or that I correct his or her misunderstanding?

Shit like this is a prime example. No option for Metaphoreus' misunderstandings to be corrected, they only want to correct other people, and still ignores actual issue raised by the poster by dancing like a monkey on the sides of it.

Just don't bother guys, it's a losing scenario.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Jesus Metaphoreus why are you such a scumbag? If you actually believe what you type then you really are a great example of why libertarianism is so fucking bad.

Dude Abides

Banned
This begs the question of whether freedom entails entitlement to the services of others. It doesn't.

Says who? I think the people who sat in at Woolworth's may disagree with this specific and rather narrow conception of freedom. however much it may hold sway in the Federalist Society.

It may well be a good idea for the government to require that merchants provide their services without discriminating on the basis of certain innate characteristics, but we don't have to pretend that that requirement isn't an imposition limiting the freedom of the provider; or that it's absence is an imposition limiting the freedom of the requester.

We certainly don't have to pretend that. But nor do we have to pretend that laws that permit businesses that hold themselves out to the public to refuse service to a segment of a public don't deny a type of freedom to that segment of the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom