• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
That sounds weird considering that we know 3 scripts were already completed by the time he departed (2 of them were his), and he and Jeph Loeb already put together an entire framework for the season. DeKnight talked about it with IGN recently, and he said a lot of the ideas throughout the series were already in place by the time he joined, and he mentioned having conversations with Goddard about the direction of the series as well. I mean, it's not surprising that Sony was prepared to compensate him for doing the Sinister Six film instead, but there doesn't seem to be much bad blood. In fact, isn't he still the frontrunner to write and direct the upcoming Spider-man movie?

There was definitely something going on.

Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 3:38 PM
To: IP
Cc: Buckley, Dan; Loeb, Jeph
Subject: Drew Goddard - Daredevil 04 11 14
Importance: High

Ike:

Drew Goddard's agent and lawyer called David Galluzzi this morning.

They rejected our proposal and did not counter.

They told David that they will be advising their client not to show up to work on Monday as well as not
provide Tier One services.

It looks like they are giving us no choice but to litigate this matter.

Please advise,

Jeph

Date: April 11, 2014 at 10:25:39 PM GMT+2
To: "Pascal, Amy" <Amy_Pascal@spe.sony.com>
Subject: Drew Goddard - Daredevil 04 11 14

Amy,

Since we spoke on Wednesday, the problem we are having with Drew Goddard is getting even worse.

As you can see from the e-mail below, he is not negotiating and is leaving us no choice but to fight with him.

We should both be very concerned about this situation.

Best,

Ike

I'm surprised Ike Perlmutter emails people himself.

I thought he was just a shadowy figure from behind the scenes with hundreds of frontmen.

If sony is really intent on this Sinister Six movie, they need to get the guys who did Jump Street. Let them get nasty with this

hu1SnVf.jpg

YES!

If sony is really intent on this Sinister Six movie, they need to get the guys who did Jump Street. Let them get nasty with this

hu1SnVf.jpg

I would be down with that.

I think the part from that series that made me laugh the most was the page where you see the car going off the pier, and they have the x-ray panel showing Shocker tied up in the trunk.

jmood88

I'm surprised Ike Perlmutter emails people himself.

I thought he was just a shadowy figure from behind the scenes with hundreds of frontmen.
He's not actually a real person; Marvel executives use the Perlmutter name whenever they need to make decisions that are unpopular within the company or when they need to deliver bad news.

duckroll

There was definitely something going on.

Those are pretty interesting and predate the announcement of Goddard's departure (that was at the end of May). Are there more emails that are dated after that? Because it could be that they managed to settle the split after talking with Sony.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Those are pretty interesting and predate the announcement of Goddard's departure (that was at the end of May). Are there more emails that are dated after that? Because it could be that they managed to settle the split after talking with Sony.

I didn't look too hard, but the only other ones I saw were someone at Sony asking Amy Pascal to ask Ike Perlmutter if there was anything they could do to help the situation, and a seperate email outlining Drew Goddard's full deal with Sony including a compensation bonus for every season Daredevil runs.

Keep we're only seeing Sony's end of the correspondence, not what was going on internally at Marvel. We only have the email between Loeb and Perlmutter because Perlmutter forwarded it to Amy Pascal.

EDIT: Just found more information

From: "Marshall, Michael" <Michael_Marshall@spe.sony.com>
Date: April 18, 2014 at 11:50:27 AM PDT
To: "Steinberg, David" <David_Steinberg@spe.sony.com>
Cc: "Gumpert, Andrew" <Andrew_Gumpert@spe.sony.com>
Subject: Re: Drew Goddard - "Bluff"

Apparently under pressure from Marvel, ABC has withdrawn its permission for Drew's team to share these documents with us, so I've returned them via email to Hansen, fyi.

Interestingly, after a lengthy discussion with Team Drew, this appears not to be just about $235K and EP credits on the second season.

There is a dispute about whether T1 or T2 services were elected, Drew is entitled to a logo that is also being taken away, and Marvel is seeking to deprive Drew of his passive royalties show creator and writer of some episodes (although Jeanne is looking into whether those just automatically and unconditionally vest via the WGA). Interestingly, without the confirmed T1 engagement, it would seem that Marvel has no basis for an interference claim&#8230;

And ABC Studios (who is the entity that Drew's contract is with) has declined to intervene and mediate &#8212; saying it's Marvel business and they're staying out of it &#8212; can't really blame them.

So bottom line &#8212; our simply offering to pay a portion or all of the $235K won't cause Drew to backdown. And Julien and Jeanne have confirmed what I expected &#8212; that for Drew, this now becoming a matter of principle.

Buckle up&#8230;I'm phoning Galuzzi back now to see what else he may have to say without Ike's interrupting his every 3rd word.

mm
Date 2014-04-15 17:04:05
From iperl@marvel.com
To amy_pascal@spe.sony.com
FW: Goddard 04 15 14
Per our conversation. We should be very concerned.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:25 PM
To: IP
Cc: Loeb, Jeph
Subject: Goddard 04 15 14

Ike

Last night Goddard called me. He was upset because his lawyer is telling him they will have to litigate.

This will impact our moving forward.

Jeph

Date 2014-04-15 19:13:25
From michael_marshall@spe.sony.com
To amy_pascal@spe.sony.com, doug_belgrad@spe.sony.comandrew_gumpert@spe.sony.com

Drew Goddard

I spoke with David Galluzzi who is the ba exec handling the Goddard negotiations. He didn't know for sure whether Ike is keeping us informed or alternatively, suggesting that there is something we could do to help solve the open issues between Marvel and Goddard.

Galluzzi will check with Ike to confirm and then come back to me with an answer. And if it is a suggestion regarding what we can do to potentially be helpful, that will be articulated to us.

It does sound however like Drew is insisting not just for $250K in connection with the initial season of the show, but also payments for the second and potentially subsequent seasons as well.

As soon as I know more, I'll pass it along.

Mm

Skyzard

Banned
I can't wait for more, rushed through all the episodes way too quickly. Really enjoyed it, up for whatever is next from these guys. I'd like more daredevil for sure.

hamchan

Looks like Goddard won't be welcomed back into Marvel again.

It's ok, he'll probably be crying on a bed full of money (to get more specific with what Sony was offering):

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/82585

From: "Marshall, Michael" <Michael_Marshall@spe.sony.com>
Date: May 9, 2014 at 1:28:59 PM PDT
To: "Belgrad, Doug" <Doug_Belgrad@spe.sony.com>, "Pascal, Amy" <Amy_Pascal@spe.sony.com>
Cc: "O'Connor, Rachel" <Rachel_O'Connor@spe.sony.com>, "Minghella, Hannah" <Hannah_Minghella@spe.sony.com>, "Gumpert, Andrew" <Andrew_Gumpert@spe.sony.com>
Subject: Re: Sinister Six / Drew Goddard -- director

Thanks for this DB. After our conversation just wanted to confirm the last piece &#8212; offering Drew some sort of offset for the cash he may be losing if Daredevil gets picked up for at least one, or potentially more seasons.

Confirming that you're comfortable with a two pronged approach:

-- An additional $250K added to the writing sole credit bonus IF Daredevil is renewed for a second season. That would make the bonus $4.25M potentially. And makes up entirely the balance of the fee Drew has given up for that second season.

-- If Daredevil is picked up for a third season, then we'd add four (4) additional, non-applicable bonuses of $125K each at the first through fourth bonus thresholds for the picture. The first threshold at wwbo = $500M is conditioned on the S6 production cost being $150M or less (otherwise the thresholds push back), so in that case we'd be paying a total of $375K at each of wwbo = $500M, $525M, $550M and $575M, where the current model has us at just over $28M above the return threshold (at $150M of production cost).

Fyi, the current schedule would have Daredevil premiering in the first quarter 2015, so it feels like dealing with a second and potentially third season renewal is all that is likely during the production/release period for S6 if we hold to our preferred schedule with the June 10, 2016 release.

Sound ok to you?

mm

And we all know a second season of Daredevil will happen eventually.

hamchan

Decent round up of emails here:

I do like that apparently Drew Goddard had outlined a second season:
And I can&#8217;t get a straight answer from anyone on either side
Drew a position is that he could always have written the pilot only
And I fact he has now written several shows and outlined the second season and they have brought in a replacement as a show runner who is a friend if his

Why are they paying Goddard such obscene amounts of money when he isn't even working on the show anymore

They have to make it up to the man for leaving a big project to join their project, especially if Daredevil turns out successful, which is what the money is specifically for. $4.25 million bonus for Daredevil getting a second season is pretty sweet for him when, as you say, he isn't working on the show anymore.

I get the part where Sony is paying Drew for the estimated loss in salary for leaving Daredevil. But why was Drew getting litigious with Marvel? Was Marvel forcing him to finish his contracts?

The problems that prevented Edgar Wright from going through with Ant-Man would still be present with Spider-Man, but damn if a Wright directed Spidey flick isn't my dream.

With Pegg as Herman Schultz.

Dalek

Business talk confuses me so I don't understand those emails-but the speculation of potential 2nd and 3rd seasons of DD make me happy.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
We should start a blog and take it too the next level, insert LMDs and sleeper agents.

all that blogging and speculating did wonders for Carol Danvers! Who can we elevate next...I want some New Warriors action, Night Thrasher and Namorita cream and coffee love and loss so we can bring in Nights half brother Bandit.....

quick everyone name drop Bandit and Night Thrasher ...it would add to diversity in the movies!

J10

Banned
Can someone explain what im reading here (ELI5)? What does Sony have to do with Daredevil on Netflix?

If I'm understanding it correctly:

He couldn't do both Daredevil and Sinister Six full time, so he walked from Daredevil. Sony and Marvel have a working relationship, and Marvel wanted to be free of certain contractual obligations to compensate Drew for work he was no longer going to be doing, and Sony would agree to pick up the check for his lost wages on Daredevil. They were trying to avoid litigation and make everybody happy and somehow Drew ended up with nothing to do.

So... is Sinister Six or a Goddard-led Spidey film actually happening, or no?

Now that Marvel's basically got their hands on Spidey again, but Sony's insisting on more Spider-verse flicks, which may or may not exist.

If I'm understanding it correctly:

He couldn't do both Daredevil and Sinister Six full time, so he walked from Daredevil. Sony and Marvel have a working relationship, and Marvel wanted to be free of certain contractual obligations to compensate Drew for work he was no longer going to be doing, and Sony would agree to pick up the check for his lost wages on Daredevil. They were trying to avoid litigation and make everybody happy and somehow Drew ended up with nothing to do.

Yeah, while I can't say for sure without Goddard's side, it doesn't sound like this had anything to do with creative differences with Marvel Television (which Faraci had been trying to imply for a while).

scabro

if that compensation from Sony to Drew is dependent on the production/performance of a Sinister Six movie then lol, Goddard is shit out of luck.

But weren't there rumors earlier that Marvel was pushing for Goddard to direct the new Marvel/Sony Spiderman? Maybe the bridge isn't burnt all the way.

J10

Banned
if that compensation from Sony to Drew is dependent on the production/performance of a Sinister Six movie then lol, Goddard is shit out of luck.

But weren't there rumors earlier that Marvel was pushing for Goddard to direct the new Marvel/Sony Spiderman? Maybe the bridge isn't burnt all the way.

There's another email that said Goddard now wanted to sue. Unless that was already resolved, he might just be looking to get paid for Daredevil and split.

He won't see a dime of those promised bonuses. They're all tied to the performance of a movie that will never happen.

The first bonus total (4mil number) is only dependent on a DD Season 2. There is no performance goal attatched to that because it's meant to make up for the gauranteed wages he'd have lost. This is likely because he had already laid out so much of the groundwork for S1 of DD that it's reasonable to say he was responsible for the S2 greenlight if it were to happen.

The performance based stuff is all from the potential S3 of DD.

duckroll

I've done a little bit of digging into the Goddard thing. Not really proud of going through the leaked stuff, feels dirty, but I was a bit too curious. :p

It seems that the issue isn't with Goddard personally, but rather how the contracts were set up and the legal advice he was getting. IIRC, Loeb sends an email at one point reporting that he had spoken to Goddard personally the night before, and that it was his legal team telling him to push it to litigation, and they were both upset about it.

The core of the issue wasn't about money, it was about how Goddard had basically written two scripts and lined up the entire framework for the series, and he felt he deserved the executive producer credit, the "created by" credit, and his production company logo (Goddard Textiles I think) in the series, even if he departs in active production, if they are still using all that.

Judging from the final credits in Daredevil, it looks like they did resolve all differences and gave him all that, because he -is- credited as creator, executive producer, and Goddard Textiles appears at the end right after DeKnight Productions. There is also an email sometime in mid-May where Sony people mention that the Goddard issue has been resolved with Marvel and they're all able to move ahead now.

So yeah, it looks like it might have been a fight over contract issues regarding the credits and stuff, and there's no reason to believe that DeKnight was lying when he said that he talked with Goddard about the show while working on it. So whatever business bumps there might have been, it might not have affected any personal or creative working relationship he has with Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom