• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

I don't need to, I know those trailers by heart and I don't give a shit, going to be playing amazing game in 7 hours that also happens one of the best looking ones on the market, even if it looks slightly worse than those trailers.

Going into a downgrade thread and preaching "I don't give a shit" when someone highlights the downgrade isn't smart.

Get the game. Have fun. That isn't the topic of debate here.

Skyzard

Banned
Hairworks wrecks performance, surprise surprise.

So you have a titan x and want to play with hairworks? 60fps too? 1080p! With a titan x. Good luck making out the hair detail differences from what you're used to.

Their benchmark apparently wasn't even demanding.

So, 780ti, hairworks, 1440p? Hope it doesn't drop from 30 but I'm not sure I can actually pull that off :/ Was hoping for 45 and 1440p but this is basically the same performance as far cry 4.

But if you have a few titan xs and want some hairworks but don't mind 1/3 of your framerate dropping, go for it.

------wait, which is the hairworks benchmark from pcgameshardware.de, it's not making sense to me, both charts, 1080p and titanx hovers around 60fps? :S

Maggots

Banned
PC's are held back by their OS more than they are held back by the consoles.... Hardware will never be used to its full potential until we can get rid of the OS as a middleman and go strait to hardware programming.

but that will never happen

Yasae

Banned
As I've said earlier, without 1:1 comparisons, people will use every screenshot to reinforce their confirmation bias, be it positive or negative. So I'll happily decline to comment until we get to a point where we can have a meaningful discussion. Just thought it needs to be posted here regardless of what the verdict is.
We definitely won't get 1:1 screenshots of everything. Have we seen that VGX swamp since the trailer? I doubt it.

That bridge screen looks nice. It's not 1:1 and uses a tweaked ini (?) - cheating - but it proves the game can look nice.

FACE

Banned
I think sharpening helps improve the look of the foliage, another reason there's such a drastic difference between now and 2013.

2013:
http://www.journaldugamer.com/files/2013/08/2359.jpg[IMG]

Current with added sharpening:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LnlCEqj.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That 2013 picture is from when the game was first shown to Game Informer running on Witcher 2's engine.

Kinthalis

Banned
About 20 FPS hit to frame rate in demanding hairworks scenes (Geralt + horse + enemies with hairworks). It's going to be tough to pull off on my 780ti at 1440p without putting other things down.

From the Nvidia guide it looks like I might get back some frames with little impact on graphics goodness by going AF and FXAA (instead of the game's AA) on the nvidia control panel, and lowering grass density a couple of notches, and foiliage view distance a notch from ultra.

Kinthalis

Banned
PC's are held back by their OS more than they are held back by the consoles.... Hardware will never be used to its full potential until we can get rid of the OS as a middleman and go strait to hardware programming.

Uhm... DX12 and OpenGL Next are getting us close enough to that for most purposes.

Durante

Some more tweaked shots from Andy's guide:

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliagedistancescale-config-file-tweak-001-6.png

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cascadeshadowdmapsize-config-file-tweak-001-8192.png

I think this looks good.

Denton

Going into a downgrade thread and preaching "I don't give a shit" when someone highlights the downgrade isn't smart.

Get the game. Have fun. That isn't the topic of debate here.

Right, sure. I do think the new screens from PC version (like what Durante just posted) look incredible and compare favourably to any previous footage. Maybe not exact same, but still damn great.

If they would have just been upfront with this, I don't think there would have been such an outrage.
Dunno man, at least on reddit the entire PC gaming subreddit are calling them evil corporate sell outs for even daring to make console versions of this game and comparing them to ea and ubisoft. I agree they are no better then the rest when it comes to bullshots and target renders but this kind of mentality is so prevalant. People just want their witch hunt. I say let them have it, from all accounts witcher 3 is the best rpg of this generation so far and will probably sell like crazy. Maybe this will teach consumers a lesson about pre order hype. Probably not.

Skyzard

Banned
Shit, nvm. They used SLI titan x on GTA V too.

Those shots look okay. Hopefully it doesn't take two titan xs just to deliver that though, and that it can be done with less.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliagedistancescale-config-file-tweak-001-6.png

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cascadeshadowdmapsize-config-file-tweak-001-8192.png

I think this looks good.

Andy's guide? How crazy are these tweaks?

I don't know anything about tweaks and cfg editing, but are these things achieved because it's already present in the game? If so, why doesn't the developer just add extra settings in the menu?

Titan X SLI? Okay then...

IMG]http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/images/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliagedistancescale-config-file-tweak-001-6.png[/IMG]
IMG]http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/images/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cascadeshadowdmapsize-config-file-tweak-001-8192.png[/IMG]

I think this looks good.

Agreed.

Chariot

Quit it, silly human.

Durante

Andy's guide? How crazy are these tweaks?

I don't know anything about tweaks and cfg editing, but are these things achieved because it's already present in the game? If so, why doesn't the developer just add extra settings in the menu?
Because people would "MAX" them, get 15 FPS on their mid-range system, and complain that the game is "unoptimized".

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't need to, I know those trailers by heart and I don't give a shit, going to be playing amazing game in 7 hours that also happens one of the best looking ones on the market, even if it looks slightly worse than those trailers.

So you asked about the "debate" just to reply later that you don't really care.

uh..ok.

Shit, nvm. They used SLI titan x on GTA V too.

Those shots look okay. Hopefully it doesn't take two titan xs just to deliver that though, and that it can be done with less.

Yeah, It's ok looking but I don't see the reason why it need Titans X

I guess REDengine 3 is not really a good optimized engine.

With the downgrade and how this game run on PC and consoles, maybe CDPR should drop Red Engine 3 (yeah I know it's their own engine and all) and go with UE4 for Cyberpunk.

skonvolt

do i was right?

yes i was right!

but still i'm asking myself why to play 20 % better than ps4 i need a GPU that cost like THE PS4

doesn't matter for the money spent on 2 980 to play it, is the witcher 3, if they say that min sys req is a quantic computer i'll buy a quantic computer.

do i was right?

yes i was right!

but still i'm asking myself why to play 20 % better than ps4 i need a GPU that cost like THE PS4

doesn't matter for the money spent on 2 980 to play it, is the witcher 3, if they say that min sys req is a quantic computer i'll buy a quantic computer.

What?

do i was right?

yes i was right!

Trying to figure out whether or not this is the post of the year, or if you're just on bath salts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom