• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware? (new 3ds thread)

I'm looking at buying a New Nintendo 3DS. It will be the first handheld I've had since Gameboy Color came out, no joke. Anyway, I do most of my purchases on Amazon and I have a lot of credit there, but I'm seeing from others they don't sell Nintendo hardware? I guess I could always buy GameStop gift cards but I like that Prime shipping :)

They don't do pre-orders on Nintendo consoles from what I understand.

Edit: I'm wrong I thought they started selling them again.

Unai

I didn't even know this was a thing until yesterday lol. What's the reason for that?

It started during the 3DS launch, when a lot of units were having the main screen scratched. But we don't really know if that was the reason.

Nugg

It's a US only thing. Amazon sells everything Nintendo here in Europe, and in fact Amazon.fr has been the easiest way to preorder the Zelda n3DS today.

daxgame

I see that it's fullfilled by Amazon though, so you should still have the free shipping at least. I guess with Prime it's also faster though

Fireblend

Banned
I know this is not what the thread is about, but man, you're in for a treat if you haven't played on a Ninty portable since the GBC. Remember the 3DS is also backwards compatible with the DS library, and there are some real gems in there. Enjoy!

They were selling XLs from late 2013 and going into 2014, but I lost track and I'm not sure why they haven't been selling them recently. I'm crossing my fingers they stock the n3DS.

wiibomb

this all happened on the launch of the 3DS when there was that problem with the screen scratches when you closed the system. I heard it was because amazon and Nintendo didn't get an arragement on the matter and then they stoped selling their hardware.

and they did preorders, I preordered my original 3DS with them

Somnid

The screen scratching problems.
Nintendo refused to comply with Amazon, so Amazon booted them.

Nope. The current rumblings have been that Amazon wanted better deals on hardware or that Nintendo was not treating the same as brick and mortar stores with regards to products. It's unclear who is in the wrong but the ultimate effect was the Amazon dropped Nintendo hardware which is a typical tactic when they don't like something.

I know this is not what the thread is about, but man, you're in for a treat if you haven't played on a Ninty portable since the GBC. Remember the 3DS is also backwards compatible with the DS library, and there are some real gems in there. Enjoy!

Yeah I'm really excited! Lots of catching up to do.

The two leading rumors are that Amazon wanted the same treatment that Wal-Mart received and the screen scratching returns. While both are plausible, Nintendo had similar problems with Target in the 90's over customer returns, Amazon has bought and sold small amounts of Nintendo hardware from other distributors leading them to come back in stock for small periods of time. This suggests that they have no actual problem selling the devices based on their quality, they just want a deal that they like.

I don't see it getting resolved until Nintendo caves. Amazon is still selling the things that make them money (games and peripherals) while cutting out the things they break even on (or possibly lose a slight amount of money on considering they have to pay shipping costs).

Taker666

It's all very bizarre. I was quite surprised to see Amazon Instant Video as one of the first apps released on Wii U..as you'd have thought if things were that bad then neither would have wanted/allowed it.

Just so weird that Amazon sells their hardware in every other country.

Minions

It's only the US Amazon for some reason.

I imagine that is because I believe (most?) European countries have great customer protections in place that would have remedied the screen scratching situation..... The USA is pretty weak when it comes to warranties. Some products might only have 1 month.... if that.

You sure it was Amazon and not a 3rd party?

Was definitely Amazon themselves that were selling them. Was pretty surprising and I do remember it being mentioned here on GAF somewhere. Not sure if there was an actual topic made. It was right around the time when Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies had come out actually.

Can't find the thread or post, but there was an article about it here it seems. http://nintendoeverything.com/amazon-now-selling-3ds-xl-systems-directly/

Edit: Actually I did find a thread. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702808 .

The screen scratching problems.
Nintendo refused to comply with Amazon, so Amazon booted them.
Yeah it is mostly NoA refusing to make the 3DS more shippable. So Amazon said goodbye. The games and Amiibo are not really an issue, so they still sell those.
It doesn't stop other sellers from offering it though, so that is why you can get a new 3DS that way. Also the Kotaku article is pretty funny. Amazon being cold.

I think EU has way more rules in place for shipping things, so that is probably why.

I imagine that is because I believe (most?) European countries have great customer protections in place that would have remedied the screen scratching situation..... The USA is pretty weak when it comes to warranties. Some products might only have 1 month.... if that.

I guess, the warranty situation here in Canada seems kind of shitty too though.

Reallink

Was definitely Amazon themselves that were selling them. Was pretty surprising and I do remember it being mentioned here on GAF somewhere. Not sure if there was an actual topic made. It was right around the time when Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies had come out actually.

Can't find the thread or post, but there was an article about it here it seems. http://nintendoeverything.com/amazon-now-selling-3ds-xl-systems-directly/

Edit: Actually I did find a thread. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702808 .

I'm pretty sure these one-off short lived reversals are actually just inventory of third party sellers who used Amazon Fulfillment going belly up and the cheapest thing for them to do is just sell or turn over their stock (if they owe debt) to Amazon proper. Either that or some big middle man supplier goes to Amazon to unload surplus every now and then. Clearly Nintendo and Amazon have not made amends over whatever has been going on in relation to HW.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah it is mostly NoA refusing to make the 3DS more shippable. So Amazon said goodbye. The games and Amiibo are not really an issue, so they still sell those.
It doesn't stop other sellers from offering it though, so that is why you can get a new 3DS that way. Also the Kotaku article is pretty funny. Amazon being cold.
Thats not all on nintendo. I used to work in an amazon warehouse packing. The employees don't give a fuuuuck because of poor working conditions and pack things up poorly. You don't see any other companies refusing to ship.

So the walmart profit margin, poor Amazon packing, and Nintendo design/packaging are all coupled probably.

JB2448

Bumping this thread to let everyone know that Amazon.com is now selling the New 3DS XL in black and red directly. Perhaps this long dispute/disagreement between Nintendo of America and Amazon.com has finally been resolved?

Sorry OP. Same happened to me, ended up getting scammed at a GameStop instead of being able to buy it on Amazon.

(Why did I get scammed you might ask? Well, I bought Super Mario 3D World the same day for the new price, and they very obviously sold me a used game, as it had 3 save files already stored on it)

#NintendoWay

Bumping this thread to let everyone know that Amazon.com is now selling the New 3DS XL in black and red directly. Perhaps this long dispute/disagreement between Nintendo of America and Amazon.com has finally been resolved?

Goddamn it wish I waited.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Probably all Nintendo had to do was promise them a larger Amiibo shipment lol.

LOLCats

Banned
Sorry OP. Same happened to me, ended up getting scammed at a GameStop instead of being able to buy it on Amazon.

(Why did I get scammed you might ask? Well, I bought Super Mario 3D World the same day for the new price, and they very obviously sold me a used game, as it had 3 save files already stored on it)

#NintendoWay

Goddamn it wish I waited.

you can save games on Wii U Discs? news to me...

weevles

Very good news, if you're in the market for New 3DS XL. I hope this continues as I do prefer Amazon for my mail ordering.

Skelter

Banned

But Amazon is selling it.

lyWBFpq.jpg

For now. All it takes is another "zomg my Nintendo NX has a wobbly hinge" for people to return their devices en masse and start it all over again.

I remember when this went down and it had nothing to do with screen scratching. As far as I understood it at the time, it was due to how poorly the 3DS sold at launch and Nintendo refusing to buy back unsold systems so Amazon US cut them off.

Top Bottom