• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Yeah son, post that shit.

Here's a nice IX fanart I found.
black_mage_cemetery_by_arlmuffin-d8g3a8j.png

Artist page to comment on. http://arlmuffin.deviantart.com/art/Black-Mage-cemetery-510756499

AESplusF

So I've started playing FFVII for the very first time. I'm about 6 hours in and I've been playing it on the Vita, and I like it a lot, so much so that I think I should just start over and play it on my PC or on the PS3. Is there a definitive version? I'm also planning on playing VIII and IX after I've finished. I've got to say, this game has so much character, the pre-rendered backgrounds have a lot of charm and the story is a lot of fun, I dunno, it's just really good. I'm making my way up Shinra HQ at the moment. Oh and the music, I can't even think of a catchier soundtrack.

Also, I couldn't help myself, I played the first 30 minutes of VIII and IX and they seem to be just as charming, especially IX with it's anthropomorphic characters.

Ultratech

So what's everyone's thoughts on Four Heroes of Light?

I liked it. Takes a little bit to get used to its systems and way of doing things, but it's a pretty neat little game.

Especially loved the little intro screen when you loaded a game that showed everything you've done in the game to date.

Hey guys, what do you feel is better? FF6 on SNES or GBA? I will not mention PSX because I assume it's horrid just like the Chrono Trigger port.

One thing I really do like about the GBA version is the redone Mt. Kolts theme. It sounds A LOT better... so does Kefka's Tower, but aside from those 2 the sound quality is bad lol. I put 300 hours into the GBA version but my file got deleted at
Kefka's Tower
, so I'm planning to restart the game but I just don't know which version to choose now. I'd just like to hear some gaf input before I dive into it, thanks.

Golnei

Hey guys, what do you feel is better? FF6 on SNES or GBA? I will not mention PSX because I assume it's horrid just like the Chrono Trigger port.

One thing I really do like about the GBA version is the redone Mt. Kolts theme. It sounds A LOT better... so does Kefka's Tower, but aside from those 2 the sound quality is bad lol. I put 300 hours into the GBA version but my file got deleted at
Kefka's Tower
, so I'm planning to restart the game but I just don't know which version to choose now. I'd just like to hear some gaf input before I dive into it, thanks.

The standard answer seems to be "the GBA version with the sound patch"; but if you've already played the bulk of it but want to start over, you might as well play the SNES version for something slightly different. It might be interesting to compare the translations, as well.

The standard answer seems to be "the GBA version with the sound patch"; but if you've already played the bulk of it but want to start over, you might as well play the SNES version for something slightly different. It might be interesting to compare the translations, as well.

I don't think that patch is applicable to me. I'm not emulating, just simply choosing between both hardware versions. I want to know which one is better so I can sell off the other one. That patch is cool though, didn't think something like that existed.

Lazaro

Just saw this new AGNI'S PHILOSOPHY tech demo on Microsoft's Build stream.
http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/447/square-enix-unveils-realtime-cg-tech-demo-using-directx-12-at-microsof

It's meant to be the most realistic CGI based of the emotion of crying.
witch_chapter_0_cry_06.jpg

"As a part of a research project that studies a variety of next generation technologies, Square Enix conducted extensive research on real-time CG technology utilizing DirectX 12 in collaboration with Microsoft and NVIDIA Corporation. Revealed today as a technology demonstration titled, WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry], the results of this research will be incorporated into Square Enix’s LUMINOUS STUDIO engine, and is intended for use in future game development."

I thought the Luminous Engine will cease development after FF XV?

Kwixotik

Kefka's Tower

I like the SNES version, but I'm biased because my love for the SNES outweighs my desire for the best version

Falk

that puzzling face
It's

- a Final Fantasy title made past FFX
- a mobile game

yet there's a 100+ thread on NeoGAF that is actually majority positive

what universe do we live in again?

Sora_N

It took me playing to level 8 on a Conjurer and then making a new character (Archer) before I got the hang of the maps.

I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more, Archer is fun. Almost level 10.

EDIt: Wrong thread lol! (Still FF...XIV :p)

The recent FFVII translation thread has me questioning whether or not I'm crazy.

I first played VII around the year 2000 after hearing my classmates talk about IX. Went to Electronics Etc and bought a blue box that google tells me was a later "Platinum" release. And I distinctly remember the default being "Aerith." So I had always assumed that the PC version was corrected after the playstation release, but now that's being contradicted. Furthermore, apparently the steam re-release retains "Aeris." I just don't think my 10 or 11 year old self would have had a chance to come across "Aerith" for several years before creating a false memory or something like that.

Can anyone corroborate there being a PC release where it defaulted to "Aerith?" I wish I could find my old FFVII CDs, but I've probably thrown them away. : (

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In recollection all of it's stats should be rather high with the exception of Attack being locked at 1.

Meh whatever. I hold little interest in Mobile games.

Falk

that puzzling face
(As to not clutter up the FF:RK thread itself since it'll likely spark a massive tangent)

You know, I still absolutely detest mobile games, but at the same time Record Keeper is scratching an MMO itch I never knew I had since I quit WoW four years ago. I'm the type who prefers single player experiences and not needing to rely on or interact with anyone else, but the concepts of a continually evolving/updated experience with power creep, as well as managing a party (tank/healer/dps) has appeal to me up till today.

Always dreamt of a single player MMO where you could do just that - deck out your party, do raids, get gear progression limited by a weekly/whatever raid lockout, keep at the cutting edge.

FF:RK actually... kinda does that, except that it's on mobile, and has very, very distinct pay2win elements. However, a buy-once model wouldn't work with a game that requires content updates constantly. In a super idealistic world, that perfect experience would be FF:RK with a bit more depth, the inability to pay your way through stamina refreshes (= paying for more raid lockouts in an MMO), nor paying your way through camping refreshes (farmable consumables instead) and with a gear progression that was more based on farmable drops and less based on RNG gacha. Subscription fee.

Of course, in today's environment, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of something like that existing or being commercially viable. Even every MMO and their MMO's uncle have gone F2P, outside of like WoW itself and FFXIV.

Falk

that puzzling face
Different strokes for different folks.

If there was a scale from 1-10 where 1 denotes being true to the originals and 10 denotes being given a proper classical treatment, the different concert/recording productions all lie along different points in the scale. Some people (the Remaster Soundtrack Bitching crowd(tm)) will kick and scream if the slider so much as moves beyond 2 or 3, while other people (especially classical enthusiasts) will appreciate a solid 10.

- Stuff like VGL and our own VGO's concerts sits around a 3, but also does arrange in a completely different axis towards a little bit of a rock show.
- Stuff like Zelda Symphony, Distant Worlds, etc are a safe 5-ish middle ground which has some appeal to both crowds.
- Final Symphony would be skewing it towards 9 or higher.

But yeah, Final Symphony is triple ace and I'd recommend checking it out if you like Final Fantasy music even if you're towards the left side of the scale. The FFX Piano Concerto is unbelievable.

iosefe

i will support whatever will give a new version of the operetta version of The Dream Oath Opera, acted and narrated, IN ENGLISH

With ULTROS

or not.

Wazzy

Banned
Anyone hesitant about playing Record Keeper needs to stop and just play. It's worth it y'all.

Also I might be getting tickets to the Distant Worlds concert in Seattle which I'm pretty excited about.

Falk

that puzzling face
Was doing a throwback thursday thingoo on facebook and thought I might as well post it here. Wazzy would appreciate it at least lol

Here's a mega throwback Thursday.
I've been in Malaysia the past month and sifting through all my old stuff, and stumbled upon this. Almost exactly half my lifetime ago, when I was 16, Final Fantasy VIII had just come out. FF8 Piano Collections, which released after the game, came as a surprise to us, since the usual Piano Collections arrangement album had skipped 7, after Piano Collection albums were published with sheet music for FF4-6.

However, FF8's Piano Collections was CD-only, without any sheet music. I was such a huge Uematsu fan, that I took it upon my optimistic, clinically insane 16 year old self to rectify that by transcribing the entire CD, piece by piece, bar by bar, and note by note. Back then, I had no idea what I was doing, (Shuffle and Boogie not notated in swing 8ths hahahah) and essentially created the pages one by one by screenshotting my transcriptions system by system in a software called Noteworthy Composer, then positioning everything manually in a giant GIF file. The process would be something akin to coding websites and making custom Quake/Quake 2 models in Notepad (both of which I also did in my teenage years). The visual results weren't exactly REALLY NICE to look at, but they were functional. (And hey, there's only so much you can do with a huge GIF!)

Despite all my overflowing optimism, this was still a gargantaun effort - one that took me the better part of 10 months to accomplish. It was a very intense ear training exercise, because I wanted to be 100% true to both Uematsu-san's amazing music and Hamaguchi-san's elegant arrangements/embellishments. At the end of it all, I realized that after all that aural and mental exercise, I was basically able to pick out chord qualities, structures, progressions, tension and resolution, intentional dissonances, even if I wasn't aware of the generally accepted ways of notating it in chord chart form, and it helped me in my musical journey from then till now. At the end of it all, I could also play practically the whole album simply from muscle memory, since I wasn't much of a sight-reader. (In fact, the sheets were more for the Gamingforce Forums community than myself)

It was only some time later, when a reprint of FF8 Piano Collections released that DID include the sheet music that I realized how close I'd come to being 100% accurate, aside from things like meter markings, enharmonics, performance markings, etc. Tone-wise, there was less than one wrong tone in every ~500. That actually took me by surprise.

I think those 10 months marked a few milestones for me - it was when I abused my ears and brain and got really, REALLY good at transcription/dictation. It was when I began to appreciate many of the cliches inherent to game music, or more specifically JRPG and Uematsu-san's music. It was the first really absurdly large undertaking I saw through to the end, a trait that years later instills confidence in me to tackle impossibly large projects, one step at a time.

It was also when I knew that I wanted to combine my two loves - video games and music - and make a career out of it.

mim9dgw.jpg
DOJo71l.jpg

amZVsQJ.jpg
bMhxgmA.jpg

CnAcASr.jpg
Nzr1Siz.jpg

3aqclug.jpg
pbNmTRu.jpg

tl;dr Falk transcribes a bunch of shit as a kid, finds it 16 years later and gets all nostalgic.

bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZjDsMeMFk

Wazzy

Banned
Was doing a throwback thursday thingoo on facebook and thought I might as well post it here. Wazzy would appreciate it at least lol

tl;dr Falk transcribes a bunch of shit as a kid, finds it 16 years later and gets all nostalgic.

bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZjDsMeMFk
Aw yis love it. Any VIII stories get's my immediate attention.

Those sheets are beautiful, especially the Ending Theme. * o*
Nah. I think I'll just "keep" it on "record".

ha ha
BOOOOOO THIS MAN

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Been replaying FFIX lately. FFIX is probably the only FF I can keep on replaying.

Top Bottom