• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, if you can find these posts, why can't you find the others related to them?

I've already gave you a timeline on FF7. Where is that game that I've already told you isn't coming until SE are done with FFXV and FFXVI? The Capcom exclusive already came, it's called Street Fighter V. I told you that game was in development in 2013, you know, when Ono was saying they have funding problems (which should have been a dead giveaway, but hey, money does appear magically). The KH game that wasn't KH3 was a PS4 remaster, and it didn't happen (well, it's going to happen and doesn't take a genius to figure that out, but obviously not in 2014).

Sega is up this year with one title as it stands, which I've already said. Warner Bros. will be soon-ish. Sly, we kind of have a movie, and some other issues. Use your own brain here as to when you can kind of expect some information for that. I told you about this game before the PS4 even launched, and part of the reason why I did was because of the alternative media push happening with IP, including Sly. JRPGs, already answered too many times.

As for the linked post, that's from six months ago, and it says right there it's for titles being announced through 2015/2016. One of them's come and gone.

Games aren't made overnight. Who'd have thought? Clearly, not Sony, since we've only had to delay about a dozen.

As much as a Final Fantasy 7 remake would thrill me, it is hard to believe that Square would attempt such a massive undertaking. I wonder if they've just off-handedly made comments about considering it or if they have conducted serious analysis/planning. It also seems like a project which would be canned if 15 did not meet sales expectations, so I do not want to get excited about the idea of it happening.

How much were the first month sales of Type-0 in the NPD?

> 200k, 80/20 split in favor the PS4.

Though, I don't think it's entirely relevant to the KH collection discussion. As long as KH3 is coming to XB1, there's a bigger motivation for KH HD on XB1 then just the sales.

Hyunashi

those owners are smart .

Yea, in a way I would agree. I mean I bought the game for the FF15 demo primarily. Anyways, those owners not buying into Type-0 might result in Square not believing it worth it to port a KH collection to X1 (if/when it comes). Type-0 may have been a test in someway, we dont know. With it selling dismally by all accounts on the X1, the question is: does it inspire confidence in SE to release a KH collection for the X1 too knowing that, despite packaging the FF15 demo into Type-0 (which is quite a big thing imo), they had low sales numbers?

We can all theorise as much as we want but a KH collection hasnt been announced yet or anything anyways hahahha. Personally, I dont care, I just want it out so I can throw my money at it!

If you want in to the feed, it's a $1. If not, you can wait until we post it to everyone. We're a small independent site and thousands of others do the very same thing. Get over it.

Sorry if you are in a bad mood or whatever, but I was just asking a question. No need to post stuff like "get over it." There's nothing for me to get over.

Using Type-0 HD as a barometer for KH3 seems foolish. Kingdom Hearts has established a massive brand and fanbase for itself outside of the typical JRPG niche. It's got Disney characters for fuck's sake, this will sell just fine with the mainstream crowd.

klaushm

People all excited for a big Warner Bros. exclusive until they realise it's a Scooby Doo game, or Harry Potter for Morpheus.

Tried to make people suffer.
They get excited.
photo.jpg

lol

I'm not riled up. I just incessantly mock things. As for that, we're just about getting started.

I thought they would announce it this time.
They made me see more than I should... But it says PS4 only T-T
I know it's SF5, but wished it to be PlayStation vs Capcom or PSATBR 2...

The God

Why didn't Square put the Kingdom Hearts remasters on 360 or the FFX/X-2 remaster on 360/XB1? That's why I think a current gen KH collection would be exclusive.

You know, if you can find these posts, why can't you find the others related to them?

I've already gave you a timeline on FF7. Where is that game that I've already told you isn't coming until SE are done with FFXV and FFXVI? The Capcom exclusive already came, it's called Street Fighter V. I told you that game was in development in 2013, you know, when Ono was saying they have funding problems (which should have been a dead giveaway, but hey, money does appear magically). The KH game that wasn't KH3 was a PS4 remaster, and it didn't happen (well, it's going to happen and doesn't take a genius to figure that out, but obviously not in 2014).

Sega is up this year with one title as it stands, which I've already said. Warner Bros. will be soon-ish. Sly, we kind of have a movie, and some other issues. Use your own brain here as to when you can kind of expect some information for that. I told you about this game before the PS4 even launched, and part of the reason why I did was because of the alternative media push happening with IP, including Sly. JRPGs, already answered too many times.

As for the linked post, that's from six months ago, and it says right there it's for titles being announced through 2015/2016. One of them's come and gone.

Games aren't made overnight. Who'd have thought? Clearly, not Sony, since we've only had to delay about a dozen.

Well... Shit...

The game is way too far way isn't it?

GeoramA

Using Type-0 HD as a barometer for KH3 seems foolish. Kingdom Hearts has established a massive brand and fanbase for itself outside of the typical JRPG niche. It's got Disney characters for fuck's sake, this will sell just fine with the mainstream crowd.
FF Type-0 was the first major JRPG to come out on both PS4/XB1. Doesn't seem foolish at all.

Serious question

And how did that stop disney games in the past from bombing ?

FF Type-0 was the first major JRPG to come out on both PS4/XB1. Doesn't seem foolish at all.

It's also an extremely niche product. It's an HD remake of a portable game that wasn't all that well critically received. It's also deeply entrenched in Final Fantasy, a fanbase that likely swung more towards PS in the first place.

I don't think any of that is applicable to KH3. It's a big-budget mainstream name with massive crossover appeal, and globally recognizable names & brands. Christ, if they get Marvel & Star Wars properties involved? Forget about it.

Kingdom Hearts is bigger than the "JRPG" label.

Chobel

So never?

TomShoe

Banned
> 200k, 80/20 split in favor the PS4.

Though, I don't think it's entirely relevant to the KH collection discussion. As long as KH3 is coming to XB1, there's a bigger motivation for KH HD on XB1 then just the sales.

Ugh into the archives I go.

This dusty manuscript says ">200k" and next to it has "4: 79% 1: 21%"

Thanks.

So, first month's sales:

US: 40k
UK: ~4k
JP: ~1k

I assume up to this point, we've probably reached ~60k sales on the XBO. If they don't release the KH3 collection on XBO, I doubt they'll even bother releasing for it, unless the costs to port are much cheaper than I thought. There's no chance it'll sell very well, considering it's the first KH on Xbox, and how the demographics of Xbox owners just don't match up with KH's target audience. Chances are if KH was a game you were looking forward to, you'd likely be a PS4 owner.

Verendus

Banned
So about 2 more years till we get that brawler?
I don't think I'd go that far. Just about getting started is probably a bit of an exaggeration. Bear in mind, I only told you last year we're doing a Sony crossover since a decision was already made by then. In 2013, things were mostly being talked about how to revisit that kind of idea, and I didn't imply otherwise. The idea of having a title which involves lots of Playstation characters isn't a bad one. All-Stars pushed over a million copies, which considering the weaknesses amongst other issues, isn't a complete failure. But it also wasn't a success nor did it inspire the utmost confidence in pushing full-steam ahead with getting another one made right away.

When something happens where a lot of the people in management like the idea, but it's not lived up to what you hoped, you have to think about how to bring that idea back in some kind of way, but not repeat the same mistakes. There's obviously potential, but you have to do it right. If you mess up once, and then again, then you've basically destroyed it. Besides, there's a couple of different ways to do a mascot title, and it shouldn't have to be the case you stop at one idea. They can make a couple depending on getting the right fit.

I'll be honest with you, I have tempered expectations a bit, since it's not turned out the way I initially thought it would. But I also thought of something pretty crazy in the first place.

So never?
On the one hand, I understand the negativity surrounding SE seeing as FFXV is still kind of a mess. But on the other hand, four years from now, people are going to think very differently. Seriously. They have a fair bit of stuff planned, and as long as the titles deliver and don't suck, I fully expect attitudes are going to change towards them. Be honest, how many were expecting Dissidia, Star Ocean, or DQ on home consoles? Unless people already knew those titles were happening, they're full of crap if they say they were since everyone has been pretty doom and gloom about SE for a good few years (and understandably).

This generation, right now, is still in the beginning phase. It's not ending in 2017 or 2018 for us. We have a long way to go.

They're still a bunch of a jabronis though.

There's no chance it'll sell very well, considering it's the first KH on Xbox, and how the demographics of Xbox owners just don't match up with KH's target audience. Chances are if KH was a game you were looking forward to, you'd likely be a PS4 owner.

You see, I doubt that. It's anecdotal evidence, but I know a lot of people who are really into Kingdom Hearts - yet never touched other JRPGs. The most apt comparison might be Pokemon - players who might never consider themselves JRPG customers can still love the franchise/brand. The KH target audience (at very least, for a new numbered KH game on consoles) is miles wider than the one for a handheld Final Fantasy port. Hell, it might be wider than Final Fantasy as a brand.

Also, platforms aren't that particular when you consider its' been two generations since a big mainstream KH title. People moved from the PS2 to the 360 - perhaps they stuck with XBox for the next round as well. If Square wants to hit every player who has nostalgia for the original games, they need to be on both platforms. Hell, a PC release might not be a bad idea either.

Boke1879

You see, I doubt that. It's anecdotal evidence, but I know a lot of people who are really into Kingdom Hearts - yet never touched other JRPGs. The most apt comparison might be Pokemon - players who might never consider themselves JRPG customers can still love the franchise/brand. The KH target audience (at very least, for a new numbered KH game on consoles) is miles wider than the one for a handheld Final Fantasy port. Hell, it might be wider than Final Fantasy as a brand.

Also, platforms aren't that particular when you consider its' been two generations since a big mainstream KH title. People moved from the PS2 to the 360 - perhaps they stuck with XBox for the next round as well. If Square wants to hit every player who has nostalgia for the original games, they need to be on both platforms. Hell, a PC release might not be a bad idea either.

Unless Xbox gets some sort of marketing deal with KH3 to let people know it's on their platform. I doubt it'll make any significant splash

Which one has come and gone from the linked post? And while games aren't made overnight, I think 2 years is a good timeframe to, at least, hear about them. Well, we'll see anyway.

Hyunashi

Unless Xbox gets some sort of marketing deal with KH3 to let people know it's on their platform. I doubt it'll make any significant splash

The other big thing is: at the end of the day, the majority of the jRPG crowd are on the PS4 too
even though KH3 will attract more than this audience.

I don't think I'd go that far. Just about getting started is probably a bit of an exaggeration. Bear in mind, I only told you last year we're doing a Sony crossover since a decision was already made by then. In 2013, things were mostly being talked about how to revisit that kind of idea, and I didn't imply otherwise. The idea of having a title which involves lots of Playstation characters isn't a bad one. All-Stars pushed over a million copies, which considering the weaknesses amongst other issues, isn't a complete failure. But it also wasn't a success nor did it inspire the utmost confidence in pushing full-steam ahead with getting another one made right away.

When something happens where a lot of the people in management like the idea, but it's not lived up to what you hoped, you have to think about how to bring that idea back in some kind of way, but not repeat the same mistakes. There's obviously potential, but you have to do it right. If you mess up once, and then again, then you've basically destroyed it. Besides, there's a couple of different ways to do a mascot title, and it shouldn't have to be the case you stop at one idea. They can make a couple depending on getting the right fit.

I'll be honest with you, I have tempered expectations a bit, since it's not turned out the way I initially thought it would. But I also thought of something pretty crazy in the first place.

On the one hand, I understand the negativity surrounding SE seeing as FFXV is still kind of a mess. But on the other hand, four years from now, people are going to think very differently. Seriously. They have a fair bit of stuff planned, and as long as the titles deliver and don't suck, I fully expect attitudes are going to change towards them. Be honest, how many were expecting Dissidia, Star Ocean, or DQ on home consoles? Unless people already knew those titles were happening, they're full of crap if they say they were since everyone has been pretty doom and gloom about SE for a good few years (and understandably).

This generation, right now, is still in the beginning phase. It's not ending in 2017 or 2018 for us. We have a long way to go.

They're still a bunch of a jabronis though.

I was hoping the generation to end by 2018 or at least 2019 :( I'm not a console basher at all, I just don't see the current system being capable by 2019-2020.

Boke1879

The other big thing is: at the end of the day, the majority of the jRPG crowd are on the PS4 too
even though KH3 will attract more than this audience.

When you look at all the JRGS that look to be coming to the PS4 you see where the audience has shifted to.

GamerJM

Banned

I'll be honest, this....kind of made me roll my eyes. I'm fine with it going on somewhat longer than 2017 or 2018 but I just don't want a long ass generation like this again, especially considering that the PS4/X1 and especially Wii U are already pretty underpowered compared to gaming PCs. If the console cycle is going to be this long I wish devs could just make games that could basically run on PS2 so they're less resource intensive, since it's not like we'd be seeing anything technically impressive anyways, and that way they wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of time to develop. I realize this is all unrealistic though. And thanks for all of the posts Verendus.

Indeed, I think its very probable that the PS4 version of KH3 will outsell the XO version by a large margin.

Oh, no doubt at all. 2:1 (in the domestic market) would be an underestimate. But saying the ONE version will sell so few that it might as well be cancelled - that's absurd.

I'll be honest, this....kind of made me roll my eyes. I'm fine with it going on somewhat longer than 2017 or 2018 but I just don't want a long ass generation like this again, especially considering that the PS4/X1 and especially Wii U are already pretty underpowered compared to gaming PCs. If the console cycle is going to be this long I wish devs could just make games that could basically run on PS2 so they're less resource intensive, since it's not like we'd be seeing anything technically impressive anyways, and that way they wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of time to develop. I realize this is all unrealistic though. And thanks for all of the posts Verendus.

It's going to be a long-ass generation simply because I don't see devs/publishers only wanting to make 2 games a generation before having to ramp up for a new generation of consoles.

The generation of delaythons will also delay the next-gen consoles.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but the only thing I hope for this crossover is that it treats the Playstation lineage with respect this time around.

Better character roster is a must, and not using it as a platform to help market characters from upcoming 3rd party games. Overall polish is the highest priority, though. A unified, coherent art style and appealing menus would go a long way.

I suspect this'd be a great announcement for PSX this year.

How is the 'lazy eye' game coming along?

Yes, I'd also like to know any updates on Crash Bandicoot for PS4.

GamerJM

Banned
It's going to be a long-ass generation simply because I don't see devs/publishers only wanting to make 2 games a generation before having to ramp up for a new generation of consoles.

The generation of delaythons will also delay the next-gen consoles.

I really feel like developers should just stop developing big, monumental games that need tons of development time if they're going to just be constantly delayed. Though again I realize this isn't realistic since open worlds and big production values drive sales.

TomShoe

Banned
Indeed, I think its very probable that the PS4 version of KH3 will outsell the XO version by a large margin.

Well that's a given. What we're debating here is whether a potential XBO version would sell enough to be worth actually porting it over.

While I agree that Kingdom Hearts is going to attract players that don't normally play JRPGs, you'd have to think that the XBO version just isn't going to get that much exposure unless Microsoft secures a marketing deal somehow. The association between KH and PlayStation is very strong, much like how Xbox is with Call of Duty.

I liked Deus: Ex HR as much as the next person but all they've put out for the next one is a shitty CG trailer right?
Shitty? Really? That trailer was incredible.

Besides, if that were your criteria, why's Mass Effect, Doom, Star Fox and Mirror's Edge etc on there? We barely seen a damn thing on those lol.

Verendus

Banned
Which one has come and gone from the linked post? And while games aren't made overnight, I think 2 years is a good timeframe to, at least, hear about them. Well, we'll see anyway.
Dissidia, which is the FF spin-off.

You'll see, I guess. I mean, it's no surprise to me exactly. Don't worry though, I have good news for you. When some of the 2013 stuff is out of the way, and you feel a little down, you'll still have some of the more recent things I've said to keep asking me about.

Where are they Verendus? Where is that big budget game you said was set in the Indian subcontinent?!

Boke1879

I really feel like developers should just stop developing big, monumental games that need tons of development time if they're going to just be constantly delayed. Though again I realize this isn't realistic since open worlds and big production values drive sales.

It's fine to develop those games publishers just need to stop committing to unrealistic dates. I think Kojima handled it perfectly with MGSV. He always told us the game would need time. He only committed to the year but never a solid date.

I believe MGSV is done for the most part and now it's all about polishing it.

It's fine to develop those games publishers just need to stop committing to unrealistic dates. I think Kojima handled it perfectly with MGSV. He always told us the game would need time. He only committed to the year but never a solid date.

If the earliest (aka mega-crunch mode in the most ideal situation) you can get a game out is by Oct/Nov, you're better off not confirming the release window/year.

I-hate-u

It is very simple to me. The reason why the Battle Royale didn't do as well as it should have done was because of the fighting game system, and the really disappointing roster. You basically had a game that wasn't as mechanically sound as Melee for the Nintendo fans, and a game that does not naturally strive in the FGC.

How do you fix this problem you say? Give it to Capcom who have been the kings of the genre for 30 years. A fighting game needs to have a good battle system for it be accepted by the hardcore
even if the roster was lacking
, and with excellent presentation skills, you can easily attract the casuals. Battle Royal was a fun game no doubt, but it was hampered by a small budget, not attracting any core audience that the game can live on off, and having few features that would let the casuals keep coming back.

tldr: you have to pump money into a title like that, and commit a lot of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom