• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come the Gameboy COLOR doesn't get talked about much here?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IrishNinja said:
does this ever happen to anyone else here on GAF? you check in something random, and a game you enjoyed is being called ass incarnate by a few nodding heads as if its fact? there has to be a name for this phenomenon, it catches me off guard every time.

in related news, Portable Ops controls clearly needed work/more analog sticks, but the story/animated comic shit was great.

The word you are looking for is group-think.

IrishNinja said:
does this ever happen to anyone else here on GAF? you check in something random, and a game you enjoyed is being called ass incarnate by a few nodding heads as if its fact? there has to be a name for this phenomenon, it catches me off guard every time.

in related news, Portable Ops controls clearly needed work/more analog sticks, but the story/animated comic shit was great.
Well, it's a difference of opinion, that's all.

But I don't think it should be that hard to see why people aren't so up on a game that has as its main fault gameplay controls, right?

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It won't be the last time you hold a minority opinion in a particular group of people. Might as well get used to not giving a crap.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
DungeonO said:
The same thing happens to the Wii and the Virtual Console.
No, it doesn't really. When obscure stuff like MUSHA or Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa go up, there are always a dozen or so posts here acknowledging their quality. If you post an obscure Game Boy game you're lucky to get one reply about it.

Everyone knows there's plenty of great games on the VC, they're just pissed that the number of great games that are still waiting to be put up doesn't jive with the glacial pace they're being delivered at. If we got 3 amazing games a week, Nintendo would be in no danger of running out of content for updates for years.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The GBC was fine. It was kind of like the Dreamcast - here for a good time, not a long time.

It exists in the unfortunate position of being totally overshadowed by the system that came before it and the system that came after, though.

so the GBC and the Dreamcast were college flings? that sounds about right.

SomeDude said:
I never got around to playing the Capcom Zeldas. How do they compare to Zelda Links Awakening for original GB?
Some will argue they are better, some will argue they are worse.

That they can be compared reasonably closely in terms of quality to LA should tell you they're definitely worth playing, at any rate.

SomeDude said:
I never got around to playing the Capcom Zeldas. How do they compare to Zelda Links Awakening for original GB?
Play Seasons first. I remember Ages being harder, which makes it perfect after completing the previous game (I think most people would agree).

They are the two main reasons I want Virtual Handheld on the DSi.

wondermega

I will note that on the whole, the GBC was sort of a real wasted opportunity. That's not to say that "there weren't enough quality games released on it to justify it's existence - " there certainly were - but for the amount of units it sold, coupled with the fact that A. it's basic NES tech had been so figured out for soooo many years at the point GBC hit its stride, such as it was, and that B. it was a souped-up version of that same system (the enhanced color palette, link cable functionality so two+ players not bound to a single screen, and I don't know what other enhancements) it definitely could have had a lot more potentially really well-done titles on the system.

Imagine if Konami dusted off their Contra, Gradius, or Castlevania engines and earnestly tried to put out something well-conceived (possibly they must have had some other unfinished work lying around from the old days?) They put out the marvelous MGS for crying out loud, I have no idea what kind of sales it did - Capcom made the MMX ports, they could have done a classic Megaman game as well ("easily"). Even if any of the above did the "Super Mario Bros Deluxe" treatment to any of those franchises, that stuff would have sold well. I guess the bottom line is, most companies were more concerned with being trendy and pouring most of their efforts into concentrating on next-gen (PSone, DC, N64) as opposed to any kind of fan-service and possibly being seen as "stuck in the old mode" rather than forward thinking and trendy. Also, there's always been a stigma generally towards handheld gaming ("who cares, it's just for kids") which has persisted up until only recently, but this was very much the case 10+ years ago.

A shame, at least things are different now (all the great DS support, etc)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't really see how the GBC was a wasted system, sent to die at all.

They sold a lot of them, for one thing. For another because of basically 100% bc with the Gameboy it had a gigantic library and thirdly it could (and pretty much did) ride the pokemon wave until the GBA came out.

Also some of your facts are pretty much wrong. Functionally, the GBC wasn't just like an NES and link cable tech stayed more or less the same from the original Gameboy.

Also hasn't this thread pretty much proven that the GBC even as a seperate system had fantastic support considering how very short of a market life it had? Seriously half of my favorite Gameboy games are GBC only or GBC compatible, and I am not alone.

Yes, the software as a whole is less impressive than the GBA or DS. Yes if you count the GB as a seperate system (I for one really don't) then you could say it had a better library. But in the end it made a ton of money, had a bunch of great games, sold a bunch of systems, and extended the Gameboy just barely into the new millenium. Not a waste at all.

Gotta say, loved my GBC. Still had to have a freaking spotlight over your shoulder, but I had a lot of fun playing Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Metal Gear Solid in particular.

Wish I'd picked up Shantae way back in the day, because that game looks fantastic. Don't want to pay for it now... :(

Brazil said:
Forgot about this:

2i1d9f.jpg

Great RPG.

Heh - that was one of the two (shipped) GBC games I worked on. Chamber of Secrets was actually quite a bit better (although the balancing wasn't quite as good). There were too few RPG's for GBC - it really deserved more.

Anyways, here's a fun Philosopher Stone/Sorcerer's Stone easter egg nobody found: in Diagon Alley, buy like 30 boots (I forget the exact number, but I think it's 30 - that's a minimum, feel free to buy more). Then when crossing the moat to the castle, pause and unpause the game. Now you can shoot owls at the creatures in the water!

Amalthea

Banned
I loved the Cannon Fodder Port for the GBC!

29n8nxs.jpg

Blade deserves also the be mentioned, a nice little beat-em' up with many hidden levels.

11136hk.png

Aliens was like Alien Breed with the Aliens licence. It had some neat ideas like the ability to use two weapons in every hand or one weapon and the motion tracker, you could also ride the power lifter and sometimes when you rescued ship members they released a chestburster and died.
If you were killed you could rescue your character with another marine if you could find the Alien nest within 2 minutes. :D

av4w28.jpg

And if you wanted to play a non shitty Daikatana then you had to get the GBC-Version ;-)

20rkbpv.gif

(It's public domain now BTW.)

IrishNinja

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it's a difference of opinion, that's all.

But I don't think it should be that hard to see why people aren't so up on a game that has as its main fault gameplay controls, right?

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It won't be the last time you hold a minority opinion in a particular group of people. Might as well get used to not giving a crap.

point. i think my love of the series made the controls doable, but i could see them as a dealbreaker. i love katamari, but i cant play it on PSP for shit even when i try.

you're right, and its not that i want everyone on the same page as me, its just kinda funny when you start to notice people with similar tastes, and recommending shit so much you go check it out - ive just started planescape 'cause of the love of its here, primarily, and its cool so far - and then alla sudden, some of the same names youd noticed before decide something wacky like "true Strider fans wont touch the Genesis port; IMO, the NES one is the only true game."

its not a personal affront, just leaves me scratching my head.

SomeDude said:

I think that the Capcom Zeldas have a sort of... Capcom feel to them. I can't explain it, bit I kinda like it, because it feels a little different from other Zelda games, but it is still really good.

Also, Seasons and Ages have tons of secrets, especially if you link the two games together. (You can use passwords or a game link cable to do that with.) Basically, the way the game is layed out, you play Game A, then once you beat it and link with Game B, you play Game B in, like, an Extra mode, and you'll gain passwords you can share with Game A to gain items in both games you wouldn't gain otherwise, like a huge two-handed sword. If you only own one of the two games, you can use passwords off the Internet, but you won't have your name and settings and stuff.

Some of the highlights of extra mode are added or different story elements
like the addition of Zelda... In Ages, one added element has you saving Zelda from a prison, Donkey Kong style, climbing ladders and jumping over barrels and reaching her at the top. I loved that.
and also a sequence of final bosses after the regular final boss
Koume+Kotake, Twinrova and Ganon

Compared to Link's Awakening, I feel that the story isn't the strong point, but rather the game play, and while I appreciate that more, I still like ink's Awakening better (though not by much).

Gameboy415

Brazil said:

This was quite possibly the best Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon port EVER.
I loved the egg-collecting/hatching bonus challenges and I remember the graphics and music being quite good too.

topofuji

Banned
Desiato said:
rayman_gbc_box_big_front_us.jpg

My favourite GBC game after Pokemon.

You do realize that the superior and full version of the game is the Playstation 1 original, right? The GBA version (and to even more extent GBC) is a watered down port.

ethelred

Why would you do that? said:
I think that the Capcom Zeldas have a sort of... Capcom feel to them. I can't explain it, bit I kinda like it, because it feels a little different from other Zelda games, but it is still really good.

They do have a different feel to them, which I like a lot. Especially Minish Cap, which is my favorite of the Capcom Zelda games. It's great that Capcom was able to create something so much on the level of quality as Nintendo in one of Nintendo's top series, and yet was able to maintain its own feel as well. I know it'll never happen, but I sure would've loved if the team that made Minish Cap had gotten to do a 2D sprite-based Okami game on the DS in the same visual style as MC.

topofuji said:
You do realize that the superior and full version of the game is the Playstation 1 original, right? The GBA version (and to even more extent GBC) is a watered down port.
The Playstation 1 port is not the original version of Rayman. It came out first on MS-DOS and the Jag.

CoolS

I actually didn't own aa GBC. My brother, who never really played any videogames got one for christmas together with Harvest Moon. Man, i loved the shit out of that game. Probably some of the fondest memories of a videogame in my entire life. :D

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
wrowa said:
I always wondered if that game is any good. Is it a real Lufia? By the same developers of the SNES games?
The game was killed by the random dungeons; the dialogue is really awesome (they make fun of Gades for being a pushover =P), the story is fairly typical and the battle system is genius. The characters are very interesting, and the game is very funny.

It is a real Lufia, BUT the dungeons kill the game.

upandaway

topofuji said:
You know you had one.

gblightsil.jpg

m_wormlight.jpg
That's smalltime.
You're smalltime.

gb_mag.jpg

Got this thing for my birthday, and it never left my GBC since. The image was like x100 bigger and you could play in the dark like it was nobody's business

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Let's face it, the GBC was the Pokemon handheld for most kids who bought it, because other than that there wasn't much more compelling GBC only software. Although the Pokemon games were pretty sweet, as were the Zelda games and Mario Tennis. I wish I didn't lose my Pokemon pinball cartridge :(

topofuji said:

Actually, no. As I said earlier, the GBC Rayman games (there are two) are NOT ports. They aren't as good as the originals, sure, but their game and level designs are entirely new. They're decent games, worth getting given how cheap they are now.

Now GBA Rayman, that one I could understand skipping; it's just Jaguar/PC/PSX/Saturn Rayman, except on a screen too small to see the full distance. But that is not true on GBC. (And the later GBA Rayman games are pretty good and actually are original titles, but that's a different topic)

Also, yes, I did have a Worm Light. :)

Maron

Scuba Steve said:
Mario Tennis for the GBC was fantastic
mariotennis.jpg

kirbytilt.jpg

Loved Tilt n' Tumble.

I remember being pissed off that Mario was nowhere to be found in Mario Tennis. Maybe he just shows up later, but I never found out.

ryan-ts

Maron said:
Loved Tilt n' Tumble.

I remember being pissed off that Mario was nowhere to be found in Mario Tennis. Maybe he just shows up later, but I never found out.

You unlock him when you beat the singles portion of the career mode.

Ridley327

IrishNinja said:
point. i think my love of the series made the controls doable, but i could see them as a dealbreaker. i love katamari, but i cant play it on PSP for shit even when i try.

you're right, and its not that i want everyone on the same page as me, its just kinda funny when you start to notice people with similar tastes, and recommending shit so much you go check it out - ive just started planescape 'cause of the love of its here, primarily, and its cool so far - and then alla sudden, some of the same names youd noticed before decide something wacky like "true Strider fans wont touch the Genesis port; IMO, the NES one is the only true game."

its not a personal affront, just leaves me scratching my head.

For the record, I don't treat Portable Ops as some sort of war crime and there are a few things that I really liked about it; the resource management aspect of the game was a surprisingly well though-out mechanic and, as you mention, the style they went with for the cutscenes made for some impressive moments. I just can't forgive how bad the controls were; every moment of that game made me wish that it was playable with a Dual Shock or that they dropped the 3D camera period since the game did not need it. It's the least portable handheld game I've ever played. There are way worse titles on the PSP; most of them published by NISA. :D

Back on topic: I forgot to mention Pokemon TCG since it brought back memories of missing several homework assignments and doing bad on tests due to how goddamn addictive it was. It's a shame that Nintendo never did a follow-up to it. Pokemon Puzzle League was good (what Panel de Pon title isn't?), but I preferred the N64 version.

Desiato

topofuji said:
Wrong. The GBC version is a retelling of the Playstation version, but with completely different levels. It's not a watered down port, but a completely original game. And it's awesome.

EDIT: Beaten! But I don't mind. The more people defending it, the better.

DungeonO

GSG Flash said:
Let's face it, the GBC was the Pokemon handheld for most kids who bought it, because other than that there wasn't much more compelling GBC only software. Although the Pokemon games were pretty sweet, as were the Zelda games and Mario Tennis. I wish I didn't lose my Pokemon pinball cartridge :(

I love how this thread is full of great GBC games other than Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario, and you still think it has nothing but those three franchises.

nli10

Allan Holdsworth said:
Shantae (play it on VBA-M though, as a cart only copy is at least $60 and a complete one $150+)

Seriously??? I have the whole thing sitting on my trade in pile - I almost let it go for about £3 credit but I decided I just couldn't for that little after importing it to the UK after IGN pimped it so much... Thought I checked E-bay and it wasn't much more - maybe there is no market in the UK for it!

Decent enough game, but so outdated when it was released. I fear that Shantae DS will come out when Nintendo have moved on again...

Surprised at the lack of love here - I got GBC summer 1999 and spent the last year of Uni trying to get it back off friends in my room. I think I played it more than my original Brick boy. Harvest moon GBC and Mario Golf GBC and Pokemon Blue were the main things that went in it, but as many have pointed out separating it's library from that of the GB original isn't really worth it. Those 2 years saw some great titles though.

I walked into Toys R Us the day it came out, and didn't want to wait for the new colors to release(they only had the "Atomic Purple" at TRU on Day 1, the others came 2 weeks later) so i got my Atomic Purple. I loved the crap out of that system, and it is my second favorite Gameboy after the Micro.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ethelred said:
They do have a different feel to them, which I like a lot. Especially Minish Cap, which is my favorite of the Capcom Zelda games. It's great that Capcom was able to create something so much on the level of quality as Nintendo in one of Nintendo's top series, and yet was able to maintain its own feel as well. I know it'll never happen, but I sure would've loved if the team that made Minish Cap had gotten to do a 2D sprite-based Okami game on the DS in the same visual style as MC.
Unfortunately Flagship was dissolved after there final game, Kirby Squeak Squad, came out. Quite the shame, I bet we would of had a DS Four Swords and even a Wiiware one if they were still there to this day.

Drkirby said:
Unfortunately Flagship was dissolved after there final game, Kirby Squeak Squad, came out. Quite the shame, I bet we would of had a DS Four Swords and even a Wiiware one if they were still there to this day.
Didn't a lot of them just go work directly for Nintendo?

ReyVGM

The GBC was home to a really nice number of good games. Unfortunately, a lot of them were overlooked either because they lacked recognition or because they came out in the wrong time. Some people would argue the GBC itself came out in the wrong time.
Regardless where you stand, one thing that can't be denied is that the GBC was a safe ground for experimentation. From the adventure elements thrown in sports & puzzle games like Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mickey's Racing Adventure, International Track & Field and Magical Tetris Challenge, to connectivity aspects of the Zelda Oracle games. From accelerometers in Kirby's Tilt'n Tumble to rumble features in Pokemon Pinball.

The following is a nod to the overlooked titles, the ones that were ignored as their uniqueness stood untouched. Hopefully not for long.

Bomberman Quest
Developer: Hudson Soft
Plays like: Neutopia + Link's Awakening

What can I say? It's Bomberman taking a piece from Neutopia and Link's Awakening (just look at that map). The game is a simpler take on the Adventure genre and manages to deliver the necessary goods to keep it over the average crowd, yet right under the great ones.
Bomberman's usual repertoire is here: remote bombs, shoes to walk faster & to kick bombs, plus a lot of new power ups such as jump boots, armor, lanterns and a variety of bombs. Every classic Bomberman enemy is also here, they usually say a few words too before you blast them to oblivion.
There's a sequel for the Game Boy Advance called Bomberman Tournament, but it wasn't really on par with this one.

bomberquest.png

Blade
Developer: Hal
Plays like: Double Dragon + Mighty Final Fight

If you really need an excuse to play the game, just look at who made it: Hal Labs (of Kirby fame).
It really isn't an outstanding title, but it looks and plays good enough to let you know it's not another crappy licensed title with horrible controls. In some stages all you need to do is shoot at all the enemies, while on the others you play Double Dragon style with a touch of Mighty Final Fight. It's a simple game, but entertaining enough if you think you've played everything the GBC had to offer.

blade.png

International Track & Field
Developer: Konami
Plays like: Track & Field + Training & Love Simulator

This one came out of left field. Konami managed to successfully mix a classic Track & Field game with a training and love simulator. If you want, you don't have to play the story mode and can just concentrate on the classic T&F game play. But if you do, you'll play as a student training for the annual Olympics in his school. You'll have to make up exercise and rest routines (really easy to do) which will last for a week. The exercises are automatic too, so you don't really have to race around a million times. Train too hard or rest too much and your abilities will diminish, you'll have to find a balance to keep your abilities on top shape. Occasionally, female trainers and friends will call you to hang out, eventually the might fall in love with you if you go out of your wait to be with them (such as calling them or skipping practice to be with them).
Eventually several events and tournaments will take place (usually on Sundays) and will test your button pushing powers. If you want you can skip them by staying asleep or going out, but you don't want to do that.
I managed to reach the annual Olympic and I lost, but it didn't matter because you started training for the second year. I don't know if you beat the game by winning the Olympics or if you have to play for several years before reaching the end.

inttrack.png

Merlin
Developer: RFX
Plays like: Little Samson + Ghosts n Goblins

Merlin. Made by an obscure European company and published by an evil corporation trying to take over the world (EA).
It plays like a mix of Little Samson (attacking and movement) and Ghosts n Goblins (weapons, stages and enemies), the game is really straight forward and simple, which is a good thing if you just want to have a nice time.
You pick different powerups that make your shots stronger, a defense armor that protects you from 1 hit (like Arthur, but without a sprite change) and if you kill enough enemies, you gain "levels" (out of 3) that make you stronger.

merlin.png

Looney Toons Collector: Alert!
Developer: Infogrames
Plays like: A vewwy vewwy simple Zelda game.

Wow, this has to be maybe the ONLY good game Infogrames has ever made.
This game really impressed me (as much as a simple game can impress), the sprites are pretty, the controls are good, every WB character in existence is in the game (you can even rescue them if you want, hence the "collector" part of the title) and it has enough variety to keep you playing.
You'll visit deserts, several towns, inns, a haunted house, islands, underground rabbit holes and you'll pick up many items to help you on your quest.
There's a sequel too, called Marvin Strikes Back and it's just as good. In fact, one might call it a "second quest" based on the similarities.

looney.png

Mickey's Racing Adventure
Developer: RARE
Plays like: RC Pro Am + Adventure elements.

Say, you remember RC Pro Am for the NES? This is his brother and he will kick your ass.
Don't be fooled by the Mickey license, this game plays exactly like RC Pro Am and on top of that RARE went ahead and pulled a GBC Mario Golf by adding Adventure and RPG elements to it. You start off as Mickey Mouse on an overworld map, you can move around finding money, solving problems, talking to other characters from the Disney universe (you can even play as Pluto, Minnie and others), buy new cars, etc. Once you feel confident enough you can go and race Pete's kids RC Pro Am style until you beat all the tracks.

mickeyracing.png

Inspector Gadget
Developer: RFX
Plays like: Any platfor *This message will self-destruct* 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... *BOOM*

Nice little platformer. You can play as Inspector Gadget, Penny or Brain (the dog). Gadget is the all-round character, has great stamina, can fly and can use weapons. Penny can swim underwater and hack computers. Brain can double jump and fit through small crevices.
The sprites are very well done, the control play is tight and the game is pretty easy. Perfect to pass the time.

inpectorgad.png

Monster Rancher Explorer
Developer: Tecmo
Plays like: Solomon's Key

If you are thinking that this game looks exactly like Solomon's Key then worry not, you are not crazy. This game is known in Japan as Solomon, a beefed up remake/sequel of the NES version (the actual sequel is known as Fire 'n' Ice in the USA). Even though it's originally a Solomon title, the characters and story are taken from the Monster Hunter games. So the name change to Monster Rancher Explorer is really not that bad.
You play as Cox, a researcher trying to climb the tower to finish his paper on monsters. When you start the game you have the option of entering a guard house to save your game, a stage studio for link cable options and the tower. Other places will open up as you clear the floors.
Once you enter the tower, the game plays just like the Solomon's Key we all like to love and hate. The controls are top notch and thanks to the save feature and a handy map, the game never becomes as frustrating as the NES version. You also have a status screen with all the items you've collected and a bestiary with all the monsters you've seen. The tower has 60 floors, you'll fight a boss every 10 floors, after you complete the 60 tower levels a basement will open up with even more levels and the real ending.

monsteranex.png

Scooby Doo! Classic Creep Capers
Developer: Digital Sclipse
Plays like: Maniac Mansion!!!!!!!

Maniac Mansion for the GBC!
If you by any chance are thinking that all of the games I've mentioned up to this point are crap, this is where that stops. This game is a MUST PLAY. The only thing this game has that could be a flaw is that it is way too easy.
But other than that, it's a classic Scooby Doo story with the goodness of Maniac Mansion's gameplay. You can play as any of the cartoon's characters, switching between them at will. Scooby and Shaggy are outside the mansion, while Velma, Fred and Daphne are inside on different parts of the mansion.
You need to use all of them in tandem to solve the mysteries across all 6 chapters. And just like most Point & Click adventures, you'll collect a different array of items that you'll need to solve puzzles in other areas.
If you're going to play just ONE of the games I've mentioned, please let this be the one. You will not regret it.

scoobycreep-1.png

WWF Betrayal
Developer: Wayforward Technologies
Plays like: Double Dragon 2

Don't be fooled by the wasslin' license, this game is really a beat'em up with popular WWF characters.
You can pick from 4 characters (The Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H, The Undertaker) and you'll start on the ring fighting an opponent. One of the starting characters will yell offensive stuff at you and run away, you come down the ring and beat up some referees that are down there trying to pick a fight. You'll then enter backstage where Mcmahon will tell you his daughter was kidnapped and he needs you to rescue her. After that you'll go through several levels fighting enemies Double Dragon 2 style, but with less moves.
That still doesn't deter you from trying the game, as it's a different take on all the WWF games released. Ever.

wwfbetrayal-1.png

topofuji said:
You know you had one.

http://www.techstufftrading.com.au/images/gblightsil.jpg[/IMG]

When I came across it in storage in March, it still worked, too. What glare?

11s36gh.jpg

Man God said:
I can't really see how the GBC was a wasted system, sent to die at all.

They sold a lot of them, for one thing. For another because of basically 100% bc with the Gameboy it had a gigantic library and thirdly it could (and pretty much did) ride the pokemon wave until the GBA came out.

I was working retail in 1998 and the GBC was THE HOT SHIT of the season. We moved so many. That year was a blur of GBCs, Furbies, and Yomega X-Brain yo-yos.

Lee N said:
Star Ocean Blue Sphere[/QUOTE]
Whoa, best GBC graphics I've ever seen, by a long shot. Looks like someone finally decided to use all those shades of color that were available. Why am I not surprised this probably never made it out of of Japan?

So, yeah, the GBC definitely had a beefier graphics chip than the NES, it was more like a turbocharged NES, I guess.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Great post, ReyVGM.

And holy shit @ Star Ocean. Is there a translation patch out for that?

ShinNL

upandaway said:
That's smalltime.
You're smalltime.

gb_mag.jpg

Got this thing for my birthday, and it never left my GBC since. The image was like x100 bigger and you could play in the dark like it was nobody's business
Pfff.

411ppZzKjgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I can't believe I actually found a picture of this :lol
This baby made the GBC soooo comfortable. I thought it was really awesome at the time (I think I was 11-12 or something). I really missed that comfy feel when I switched to GBA, so I quickly got myself a Stickboy Advance.

nli10 said:
Seriously??? I have the whole thing sitting on my trade in pile - I almost let it go for about £3 credit but I decided I just couldn't for that little after importing it to the UK after IGN pimped it so much... Thought I checked E-bay and it wasn't much more - maybe there is no market in the UK for it!

Decent enough game, but so outdated when it was released. I fear that Shantae DS will come out when Nintendo have moved on again...

I haven't checked lately, but the last complete copy was on eBay UK and sold for $180.
After I saw that I knew the only way I was going to play it was via emulation. So did I.

Cart only copies aren't worth that much, it's just that they're not often put up for bidding, just BIN.

Also nice post ReyVGM. I'll have to check Bomberman, Merlin and Inspector Gadget some day.

As a piece of hardware it was a pretty half-assed move that was replaced pretty quickly by finally a proper Game Boy sequel. As software a lot of the earlier stuff was just Game Boy software with colors, so the time when actual exclusive GBC games were notable was even shorter than the life of the hardware. Then there are some of the notable releases being remakes of games we've seen before or since, so discussions of Link's Awakening or Super Mario Bros. or Dragon Warrior III rarely need center themselves on the GBC.

Top Bottom