• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here who doesn't follow or have any interest in streamers?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love gaming and have been gaming for most of my life, but I feel out of place whenever I talk about gaming news with friends sometimes, because sometimes streamers come up in the conversation and I have no idea who any of them are. I mean, I've heard of some streamers via news articles and stuff, but I don't know anything about them. Streaming is so incredibly popular and I can say that I've never once watched a streamer game live on any platform, nor had the interest to. The closest I've ever come to watching a streamer game is when I get stuck in a game and a quick google doesn't have the answer, I'll go on YouTube and look up a let's play to see how another gamer got past a certain part I was stuck. But I've just never had interest watching others play games. Even games I've never played before, I feel like seeing them play it would spoil the experience for me if I were to ever play it myself.

But like I said this aspect of gaming is so incredibly popular, so I know millions of people out there are into it. I'm curious if anyone here is the same as me, I want to know just how much in the minority I am when it comes to this.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I only know some of the names through cultural osmosis. Absolutely no interest in watching people play through an entire game, or play for hours and hours - although I'll watch videos of people doing a particular challenge. That started for me with watching people getting full combos on tricky Guitar Hero songs back in the day.

That said - I tried watching some SF Evo matches once, and it was boring as fuck.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I watch Jeff Gerstmann on YouTube when he tries games out sometimes but that probably doesn't count.

Brigandier

I like watching YouTube uploads of Mainmanswe a Tekken streamer who is excellent to learn combos and general knowledge from but I don't watch him or any streamer on Twitch etc, I have no time for that.

T-Cake

A lot of the gamers I used to watch on Twitch have stopped streaming so Twitch is now my hub for IRL streams. I love watching people travelling as it's something I couldn't do these days.

Last edited:
In theory watching people play videogames could be cool, but honestly it is staggering just how uninteresting and not good the vast majority of streamers are (even the popular ones). I think there are less than a handful of people I would watch stream a game, and that is being generous. I think it might be just two lol

Crayon

Nah. I've streamed before myself and did check out some others while I was doing that. Other than that, no.

The reason I was streaming is that I was playing so much guilty gear I actually got lonely wanted someone to talk to lol.

Not the slightest. Sometimes my nephews will start telling me about one and they’ll be like aflex was playing warzone and so and so, and I’ll be like who the fuck is aflex? They just assume I know who these people are like they’re Denzel Washington or some shit.

Skifi28

I do follow a few content creators on youtube, but I've never watched any stremer. I like content that has been prepared in advance with a script and editing. Watching somebody playing games live doesn't seem very appealing, I'd rather play myself.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Haven't a bunch of streamers been swatted as well? Is that common in that corner of gaming? I hear about an incident a few times a year about it happening. Putting yourself out there online like that is risky these days. All it takes is one of your thousands or millions of fans to be a nutter with an obsession to try to get you killed.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't think I have ever watched or followed a single-game stream or streamer.

I just have never got why anyone would want to watch someone else play a game.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I watched them briefly, but it was never more than 30 minutes at a time. Then Twitch became unusable and I haven't watched anything there since.

Doom85

Not a ton and I only watch them afterwards on YouTube, I preferred the days of Let’s Play as it was easier to follow a LP rather than just having a 5-10 hour video just dropped all at once. I mainly watch the streams of CDawgVa and Gigguk (members of the Trash Taste podcast) and even then I usually prefer their actual YouTube video content. I’ll watch a bit of Tectone for his Honkai Star Rail content.

Generally no as most have the fucking annoying hyper persona going on. About the only one I really follow is FightinCowboy for the walk throughs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I watch PremierTwo all the time, that dude is a legend and an amazing storyteller. Ironically, I usually click off when he starts actually gaming.

SHA

Just for clearing doubts, I've zero interest, they intentionally pick the most spoiling photo for the thumbnail and deliberately expecting you to catch with them at the same pace cause everything they show is literally saying you should've beaten the game already or gfys, that's totally unprofessional from a second person point of view.

Last edited:
I barely have time the way it is. No, never watched a streamer unless it accidentally popped up because of a YouTube play next or something similar.

SenkiDala

I have no interest in any of those persons. I tried a couple of times but I don't get it, because for me there are a couple of possibilities.
1) I am interested by the game they play : I wanna play it myself to discover all by myself.
2) I am not interested by the game they play : I won't look something that doesn't interests me.

Honestly it's quite frustrating because I know NOBODY who doesn't look at least 1 or 2 streamers. So I feel grumpy even though I am not.

skit_data

I don't understand it. At all.
If I want to experience a game, the last thing I'd do is to watch someone else play it.

I've watched a few fightincowboy clips but only after I've beaten the game and/or for some reason need a refresher of an area in a souls game. That's pretty much it.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I'm in my 30s, been gaming since i was a little kid. I have zero interest in watching people play games when i can play the game myself, even better than most of these streamers. I think these streamers are just wanting attention. My nieces and nephews love watching them. I think it's just an age thing.

I do follow a few streamers, but they're all fairly small (mostly sub 100 viewers). They stream stuff I'm interested in, don't get involved in shitty streamer drama, and since they don't have thousands of viewers spamming emotes you can actually interact with them and have decent conversations in chat.

Last edited:

ssringo

Live stream? Nah.

VoDs? Sometimes when I want something to listen to while I do other stuff. It's more about the personality than the game they're playing and that's if they're even playing something. I listen to the Castle Super Beast podcast which features Woolie and Pat from back in the Super Best Friends days but it's just them talking about gaming. Don't really watch them livestream playing games since they rarely do it together. Though if they did I'd absolutely watch them but as mentioned, it's the personality and not the games I'm interested in.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I don't watch any streams, not just the gaming related ones. Much better to spend that time actually playing something myself.

Probably helps that I don't play MP-only titles so I don't have to know what's 'hot' these days, search for tips etc.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

I feel my brain cells screaming in agony whenever a steamer comes up. Imho they are the gaming equivalent of the bachelor or big brother. A pest that makes stupid people even more stupid.

Last edited:

bobone

Not a single one and never will. Videogames are already a giant waste of time, watching someone else play them is ridiculous.

Reposting this because its something that people don't seem to understand anymore.

If a 30 year old man in 1982 said that they didn't want to get married or have kids because they were happy staying home and playing Pacman all day people would think they where insane.
But today its apparently cool to to keep acting like a teenager smoking weed and playing videogames when you're approaching 40.

No. Terrible.

Also it makes me laugh when someone doing a live discord or google hangout for a superchat grift, calls it a show.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Yeah, I feel a strong and unreasonable sense of disdain for streamers and the people who follow them. And yet, every damn year. I’ll find a week or two long block of time (as I have right now) where I just fire up Twitch and binge on Beaglerush Xcom VODs.

So I try not to judge.

DaGwaphics

I don't follow any either, the idea of watching other people play games has never appealed to me that much. Obviously, a lot of people find it entertaining. I wonder if they actually play games themselves or they just watch the stories unfold like a TV show?

I know some of them make crazy good money at it though, get it while the getting is good I guess.

Last edited:

radewagon

My whole life, growing up, I always wondered what the obsession was with watching sports. Nothing seemed more boring to me than watching a bunch of people play a game. People told me that I didn't like watching sports because I didn't play a lot of sports and I figured they might be right. But now that people watch others play videogames, I know that it had nothing to do with my lack of interest in regularly playing sports. Unless I have some buy-in (like someone I know is playing the game in question) I just find the act of watching others play a game, any game, to be fairly boring.

I'd rather play.

Cattlyst

I’ve never watched a gaming stream in my life although I do recognise the names of some popular streamers simply through cultural osmosis I guess. Dr Disrespect and such types. Never actually watched them though. Being in my late 40s I’m probably not the target audience and I still have the same sense of bemusement about watching someone else play a game. Must be a generational thing.

Holammer

I don't watch streamers, prefer edited content like old Star & Jerma stuff. Stuff with a beginning and end, in a tight 5 to 20 minute package.

Golden oldie this one.

Top Bottom