• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Veelk

Banned
It would be better if you actually had a rationale for this slavish worship you have. I don't think this adoration is necessarily sexual in nature, the same way Christians don't sexualize the Virgin Mary. But what you have isn't normal, so waifu has to apply as the nearest substitute.

It would be better if you actually had a rationale for this slavish worship you have. I don't think this adoration is necessarily sexual in nature, the same way Christians don't sexualize the Virgin Mary. But what you have isn't normal, so waifu has to apply as the nearest substitute.
Either that or Kuvira's his diety, dude should just grow up and worship Satsuki like the rest of us.

Veelk

Banned
So, Bolin.

Of all LoK's characters, he's the most difficult to rewrite. There's just no overall point to him, even within the actual show. Honestly, the easy solution is to throw him out of the story altogether. He's the brother that died, or never even existed, and Mako's on his own. We don't need a designated comic relief character when I'd apply humor to everyone to some extent. But that's also the cheap solution. The harder solution is to give him what the show never did: a narrative arc.

So...background. While both Mako and Bolin grew up poor, Mako had been the one who went to the darker side of the streets. He himself was actually pretty happy so long as he had food on the table and a place to sleep. In some ways, he's more naive than mako. As the younger brother, he wasn't the one who did the lions share of the work making sure they kept afloat. But at the same time, in some ways, he's simply tougher. Where Mako's poverty ate at him inside out and he dreamed of escaping into something greater, Bolin was content so long as his bare necessities were secured.

What Bolin doesn't like is all the bad he sees happening around him. All the gangs that war with each other, extort innocent citizens for money, and generally hurt others. But at the same time, he doesn't think he can do anything to stop it. His c'est le vie attitude a double edged sword. When life goes bad, sometimes its a source of comfort that he uses to marginalize his misfortunes. But other times, he just feels helpless in the face of it all. All he can do is do his best to avoid such suffering, so he greatly discourages his brother from the triads gang activities, however innocuous they might seem.

So, when the next episode opens up, Mako comes in and he tells him the news of the incident where he met Korra. Mako sees it as a freak coincidence that will never recur. Bolin sees it as a call to destiny. He tries to get Mako to introduce him and set up the next strike against the triads, etc. Mako tells bolin to chill, that he doesn't know where Korra is, and they have to worry about probending in any case.

Obviously, Bolin isn't convinced. Probending is fun and they're both good at it, but the opportunity to meet Korra simply matters where probending doesn't. So he hears that Korra is up in the Airbender Temple, and he decides he'll drag along Mako whether he wants to go or not. What they didn't anticipate is that half the city would have the same idea as them, since Korra is a freakin' celebrity. He tries to make Mako stand out by yelling about the incident, but Mako shuts him up as he doesn't want the triad to know his involvement if they don't already.

Bolin isn't discouraged, but he realizes they'd never meet Korra this way, so thinks about how he could possibly meet Korra. Nothing comes up, until he hears about this strange equalist rally where they have someone who has spiritual powers of some sort. That's something he'd think the avatar would go see, and if not, well, there are worse ways to spend a night.

Well, he goes and sees Amon do what Amon does. He's horrified by someone (not the triad leader, but random gang members) having their bending stripped clearly against their will. And of course, someone recognizes him from the Probending Stadium and mentions his brother working for the triads. He tries to escape, but he's captured and about to be debended...which Korra arrives to save him. Normally, Korra would try to fight everyone there until they went down, but she knows this time she has to get the benders here (Bolin and the others) to safety, so one action scene later, she does.

Once they are safe, Bolin goes to hero gush, which Korra appreciatively takes in. Mako manages to arrive, stumbling on the pair. Just to be clear, Mako had no idea about anything Bolin did during the night and assumed Bolin was just staying out with a friend or date as he often did. So Bolin frantically explained everything that happened, and how they need to join Korra on her quest. Korra, silently processing that this loudmouthed naive dude was Mako's brother, had to object here. No, Mako and Bolin couldn't join her.

While she admitted to herself that Mako doesn't quite fit her 'bad guy' catergory, he certainly not a true blue good guy enough to be part of Team Avatar. And Bolin was obviously one of the 'good guys', but he had no business being in a fights. Korra needed super competent people. Keep in mind she actually isn't saying this, but the first impressions of Mako and Bolin simply aren't the best. One is sketchy, the other one was a damsel she had to save. She grew up hearing stories of the Gaang and how epic they were. She had nothing against Mako and Bolin, but they weren't proper Heroes.

Still, she didn't want to put them down completley, so she's just like "er...how about we just become friends first?" She notices that they're probenders and she grabs onto that opportunity, offering to come to one of their games. They turn this around on her a bit, and instead offer to have her be the new waterbender because the old guy just quit (He didn't, but he sucked and was a jerk they wanted a replacement anyway, so...). Now this appealed to her superstar sensibilities, and jumped on it. The three of them shook hands as friends for the first time. End episode.

This one is a TINY bit more bolin focused, but I would have a Korra storyline going through it as she discovers Amon as well. I'll get that on the writing of her character. But if Bolin sounded like loved her here a bit, well, maybe he did, but its strictly platonic. How strictly? He's gay. If LoK wants to pretend its an inclusive show because they had a stealth gay relationship introduced in the last 2 minutes, and this fic is 'LoK done right' it's only natural that it does that aspect right as well. None of Bolin's romances were particularly compelling to me anyway, so I see no issues writing them out.

His relationship with Korra would be one of total bros. As in the show, his and Korra's personalities resonate with each other very strongly. They both like weightlifting in addition to bending (I like to think there is a reason Bolin has that heavy build while Mako is all lean), they like each others sense of humor, and they have inclinations of seeing themselves as good people and want to be heroes (though in slightly different ways), whereas Mako and Asami either struggle with it or just have a more complex view of it. If there was a woman he'd want to get with, it'd probably be her, but Korra doesn't feel the same initially, and by the time she'd be willing to entertain the idea, they're already comfortable as friends, so it's a no go. Mako and him being brothers is probably going to be the link connecting Mako and Korra for a while before they learn to like each other more, or else they'd have simply gone their seperate ways after the first incident. And Asami...well, we'll get to her. While Korra and Asami and Mako both have atleast a little ulterior motives in their heroism, Bolin just straight up wants to help people. He likes people and doesn't want to see them hurt. This includes "bad guys" who Korra, Mako and Asami would otherwise be willing to write off. I position him like this because the show never really shows how his kindheartness does anything but get him in deep shit with whoever the seasons villain is. There is a strength to compassion, and it would have a huge effect on the Krew as a whole.

Korra, as shown here, will simply not believe in Bolin that much due to his incompetence at fighting. Indeed, Bolin is the worst fighter of the team, though by no means really 'weak'. Asami and Korra were trained, while Mako learned street fighting. Bolin did a bit of that as well, but not nearly so much as to define his style by it, which might be appropriate considering he's generally the less experienced member of the group. His fighting style, would grow through the course of the show as he watches and observes how other characters do their fighting and implement his own technique to it. His fighting style would probably be characterized best by creativity than skill. What he pulled was not guarenteed to work, but it'd usually be something you just wouldn't normally see.

That's all I got for Bolin so far.

Veelk

Banned
Or we could not devote that much time to Bolin and just make him a mute vegetable.

I already addressed this in the opening. That's the easy way out. Triumph through adversity is better.

Look, the concept behind this is "LoK done right". SImply removing Bolin isn't a solution, it's a distinct lack of a solution. It's giving up. The show's Bolin has problems, true, and any piece of fiction ceases to be a problem if it ceases to exist. But that also means it doesn't elevate it to any level. I want Bolin to be a contribution to the show, not simply not a detriment.

You can't have done it right if you haven't done it at all.

I already addressed this in the opening. That's the easy way out. Triumph through adversity is better.

Look, the concept behind this is "LoK done right". SImply removing Bolin isn't a solution, it's a distinct lack of a solution. It's giving up. The show's Bolin has problems, true, and any piece of fiction ceases to be a problem if it ceases to exist. But that also means it doesn't elevate it to any level. I want Bolin to be a contribution to the show, not simply not a detriment.

You can't have done it right if you haven't done it at all.
But mute vegetable Bolin give Mako something else to feel guilty over and he views the whole thing as his fault, probably is actually, but I see where you're going with your labyrinthine posts.

She can step on me all she wants.
Even her voice actress can step on me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-pVJloLIuc
AX_2014_KLK_08-645x430.jpg

killlakill_event2-1.jpg

Both of them can step on me, but we have to keep this Avatar related.....

step on me Kuvira-sama
I would've liked it if Korra and Kuvira had a similar dynamic to Satsuki and Ryuko. Then again they barely interacted with each other. I think Kuvira said more to Su than she did to Korra.

*sees Toa*

*hears Mortal Kombat announcer*

"FINISH HIM!!!"

politely posts a vid of Janet Varney giving a thumbs up to the Korvira ship

"FATALITY!"

*leaves*
Sounds like she had another meet up with Zelda, finally "delivered" that comic book that was talked about during their podcast.
Amongst other things

/trash shipping

But yea, her entire campaign for Zaofu was just a huge middle finger to Su.
Su: "You can't take my Zaofu!"
Kuvira: "Fuck off bitch I'm going to that shit and stick it up your ass, and mindfuck your son while I'm at it."

Veelk

Banned
I guess you guys just aren't gonna be interested in an Avatar rewrite until I get to Kuvira. You know, Toa may not like how you sexualize her, but he's done a masterful job conditioning you two to not being able to talk about anything else.

I guess you guys just aren't gonna be interested in an Avatar rewrite until I get to Kuvira. You know, Toa may not like how you sexualize her, but he's done a masterful job conditioning you two to not being able to talk about anything else.
I have no problem discussing your rewrite ideas I just can't bother with Bolin. That dude will always be that dumbass Tonraq should have bitch smacked out of an in flight airship. Would like to hear your ideas on Lin and Tenzin though. Lin really should've gotten a rewrite cause they just constantly in the same cranky mood when she honestly had a lot of potential. She got fixed in the end, but rarely did you get to see a lighter side of Lin.

Veelk

Banned
I have no problem discussing your rewrite ideas I just can't bother with Bolin. That dude will always be that dumbass Tonraq should have bitch smacked out of an in flight airship. Would like to hear your ideas on Lin and Tenzin though. Lin really should've gotten a rewrite cause they just constantly in the same cranky mood when she honestly had a lot of potential. She got fixed in the end, but rarely did you get to see a lighter side of Lin.

Look, I get that, I do. It's just....do you have any idea how long I had to throw around ideas for the idiot manchild before something resembling a quality storyline appeared? Su and Lin and Tenzin and Korra and Asami have their own difficulties, but their characters also have a lot of inherent conflict that fits the Avatar universe. With Bolin, I had basically nothing to work with, especially since a lot of the good storyline he can have is shared with Mako.

Bolin sucks the hardest of all the LoK character, so trying to get him to work was pulling teeth. I want something in response, dammit.

Look, I get that, I do. It's just....do you have any idea how long I had to throw around ideas for the idiot manchild before something resembling a quality storyline appeared? Su and Lin and Tenzin and Korra and Asami have their own difficulties, but their characters also have a lot of inherent conflict that fits the Avatar universe. With Bolin, I had basically nothing to work with, especially since a lot of the good storyline he can have is shared with Mako.

Bolin sucks the hardest of all the LoK character, so trying to get him to work was pulling teeth. I want something in response, dammit.
The problem with Bolin is the fact that he's mostly an unscripted entity, most of his lines are adlibed, it wouldn't have been that hard if the writers provided you even the basic skeleton of a plot line for the character. He honestly doesn't need to exist, you could honestly replace him with any character in that show and the storyline wouldn't change and it would probably actually benefit the show. You could put either Kai, Kuvira or even Opal in his slot and improve the show.

ThirstGAF knows no bounds

I'm very interested in it... Just not interested enough to want to be a primary contributor of it though. I like your write ups.

Trey

I'm still reading the first post slow your roll buddy. We are but passengers on the riverboat of life.

Exactly, just because Jaded and I openly thirst a character and Toa is looking for the nearest waterfall doesn't mean we aren't interested

No korrasami art. Pretty underwhelming tbh for the last book.
Oh god this is the last book ;_;

I can't even be disappointed. I'm still jazzed over the fact that we got a full-fledged artbook for each season. If only they could have foreseen ATLA's popularity and given it the same treatment.

Veelk

Banned
And Amon wasn't as cool as Shishio, dude owned. Personality wise I preferred Zaheer when it came to Korra villains.

Where are you getting shishio from? They're not really that similar outside of superficial features as far as I can tell. It's not like comparing Kuvira to Satsuki.

Where are you getting shishio from? They're not really that similar outside of superficial features as far as I can tell. It's not like comparing Kuvira to Satsuki.
Both are sort of worshipped as God's based on how their followers revere them. That and I just finished the Shishio arc this morning so it's sort of stuck in my head. Granted their back stories are way different and Shishio wasn't a huge phony with unresolved daddy issues.

Veelk

Banned
Both are sort of worshipped as God's based on how their followers revere them. That and I just finished the Shishio arc this morning so it's sort of stuck in my head. Granted their back stories are way different and Shishio wasn't a huge phony with unresolved daddy issues.

People were loyal to the equalist philosophy, with Amon embodying that ideal the best. Shishio was worshiped for himself. I wouldn't say they were the same.

Though they got that blum action going on.

People were loyal to the equalist philosophy, with Amon embodying that ideal the best. Shishio was worshiped for himself. I wouldn't say they were the same.

Though they got that blum action going on.
It seemed like shishio practiced what he preached and had resolve to overthrow the government, which is where a lot of his draw came from. You can see he touched his assassin squad heavily especially Yumi, Hoji and Sojiro. Amon wasn'tas all in as he made himself out to be in my opinion. I guess him being a major hypocrite did not help. But yes they both got that sweet Blum action going.

Veelk

Banned
It seemed like shishio practiced what he preached and had resolve to overthrow the government, which is where a lot of his draw came from. You can see he touched his assassin squad heavily especially Yumi, Hoji and Sojiro. Amon wasn'tas all in as he made himself out to be in my opinion. I guess him being a major hypocrite did not help. But yes they both got that sweet Blum action going.

I mean...yeah, you do have a point about them both wanting to turn over the government.

It's just that I feel Amon had (or pretended to have) an actual philosophy behind his actions. Shishio, unless I misremember something, was a social darwinist. I get that that is technically a philosophy, but it's so base and sophomoric that it's hard to credit it with the honor. It's essentially the idea of "What happens, happens" in relation to power. It essentially makes no statements on how the world ought to be, merely observes of how it is. If Shishio had won, that would have been just because he was the stronger one. If Kenshin won, that also would have been just because that just meant he was the stronger one. It says that the world is inherently just, regardless of how things are because all everything is is strength being applied to one another.

So while Shishio wasn't exactly a hypocrite, he employed a much less thoughtful worldview than Amon pretended to.

I mean...yeah, you do have a point about them both wanting to turn over the government.

It's just that I feel Amon had (or pretended to have) an actual philosophy behind his actions. Shishio, unless I misremember something, was a social darwinist. I get that that is technically a philosophy, but it's so base and sophomoric that it's hard to credit it with the honor. It's essentially the idea of "What happens, happens" in relation to power. It essentially makes no statements on how the world ought to be, merely observes of how it is. If Shishio had won, that would have been just because he was the stronger one. If Kenshin won, that also would have been just because that just meant he was the stronger one. It says that the world is inherently just, regardless of how things are because all everything is is strength being applied to one another.

So while Shishio wasn't exactly a hypocrite, he employed a much less thoughtful worldview than Amon pretended to.
Shishio kept his shit simplistic that's for damn sure, but everything he did was pretty well thought out. He was more honest with his manipulations of people and even with those people I think he had more of a bond with them than Amon did. He had more respect for his pawns than Hoji did and stayed pretty true to his base goal and ambitions. Amon really wasn't, everybody was just a means to an end and even then he didn't care about his followers at all.

Even though they completely butchered the landing with Amon, I still enjoyed the character in every episode until the last.

Zaheer was good too though. That very first breakout scene was goddam incredible.

Even though they completely butchered the landing with Amon, I still enjoyed the character in every episode until the last.

Zaheer was good too though. That very first breakout scene was goddam incredible.
Zaheer had some stellar fight scenes. Him vs Kya and Him vs Tenzin are some of the best in the franchise.

Veelk

Banned
I'm trying to decide whether to give you guys Korra or Asami next.

The thing is that I am trying figure out is when is the precise moment Asami joins. She is part of the equalist conflict and a player in the story early on. However, I see her as somewhat like the toph character, who joins AFTER the initial group of Korra Mako and Bolin are established. Just as a matter of pacing, I feel it'd be better to have someone come in to shake things up, and the show didn't really have room to do so since 4 main characters, plus tenzin who pretty much is that too, is plenty, while not even including all the side characters like tenzins family. Alternatively, I could have Asami join early like the show has it and hope the group would be entertaining enough on it's own. Maybe I can have a different character join later on, like Opal, since she was...basically a part of team avatar, but not really. Sort of like Suki.

Top Bottom