• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

mkenyon

Banned
Though this is the weight loss thread, I figured some pics of me after I've put some weight back on would still be appreciated.

I'm about 20lbs heavier than I was at my skinniest, but that's due to a huge increase in muscle mass. Started weight training a few months ago with the guidance of FitnessGAF, and I'm really enjoying where it's taking me.

http://imgur.com/a/rudN7

Some of the loose skin in my thighs and arms has been filled up quite a bit, so I'm feeling a lot more confident in general.

I went up to ~205 during the bulk phase, but I've been cutting the past few weeks and am down to 196 as of this AM.

Eanan

Hit my target goal at christmas, then slightly relapsed, but getting back on track now. Was 90lbs down at Xmas. Gained a stone over the past 6 months but will try and get that down ASAP.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Though this is the weight loss thread, I figured some pics of me after I've put some weight back on would still be appreciated.

I'm about 20lbs heavier than I was at my skinniest, but that's due to a huge increase in muscle mass. Started weight training a few months ago with the guidance of FitnessGAF, and I'm really enjoying where it's taking me.

Some of the loose skin in my thighs and arms has been filled up quite a bit, so I'm feeling a lot more confident in general.

I went up to ~205 during the bulk phase, but I've been cutting the past few weeks and am down to 196 as of this AM.

That is incredible man, just incredible. I had seen your slimming down which was already incredible impressive, but that swole is something else! Your wife really had amazing foresight didn't she :-D

What's your routine?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Amazing work

Well done man

mkenyon

Banned
That is incredible man, just incredible. I had seen your slimming down which was already incredible impressive, but that swole is something else! Your wife really had amazing foresight didn't she :-D

What's your routine?
I'm still running 4 days a week, thanks to the persistence of my Border Collie. And we just got a pup too, this one is a bit more high strung and bred for cattle work. They'll have it in for me.

The strength routine is basically Starting Strength 3-4 days a week, with an assortment of accessory lifts.

As to her foresight, we've been together for 15 years. When I was 18, I had spent about 5 days a week in the weightroom for at least an hour a day since I was ~14, as I took playing football pretty seriously, and my high school had a very intense program. So, that guy she married is the one that kept up the eating habits of an 18 y/o linebacker through his late 20s. :p
Amazing work

Well done man
tyvm!

Chris R

Got home last night after a WEEK long vacation, -5 lb on the scale, and I even cheated with 10 beers that week. Feels good, even better to be back in my house where I can cook a meal instead of needing to eat out so much.

rykomatsu

Been kinda lurking this thread for a while on-and-off...went from fit to overweight to borderline obese over the last 5 years or so. Ever since my dog injured his foot (and surgery unsuccessful), I'd become less and less active. Coupled with stress eating of junk food, I ended up about 180-185 @ 5'7" give or take. I tried going to the gym which lasted all of a week numerous times.

We adopted a dog a few months ago, and went for a simple 2 mile hike at the beach and I was completely shot. Came home and looked myself in the mirror and felt like shit and bad that my fiancee had to look at me naked every time we had sex...Enough was enough, and I signed up for a group fitness gym mid-July (after trying multiple times to cancel my unused globogym membership) so I could try to get into shape to keep up with our dog.

First 2 weeks of 4-5 hours of workouts with a very closely monitored diet in terms of calorie counting and I'd lost 0 weight (actually gained 2lbs) - I felt pretty demoralized in all honesty. I weighed in at 182 (25% body fat if I recall) on July 13th, 184 on July 27th. Nutritionist friend suggested a keto diet and been doing that for 2 weeks now - she suspected my metabolism was going down and I was packing on carbs as belly fat (I think that's how I understood it).

Fast forward to today, and I'm down to 176 (22.5% body fat). I suspect much of that was losing water from depleting glycogen stores, but it's definitely inspiring me to keep going (the gym coaches are also super supportive). That said, my reps have dropped by about half since going on keto...hopefully will recover over time.

JUL13_AUG10.jpg

^---first 2 weeks, I was unchanged from the left-side

A few things seem to be keeping me (more) motivated this time:
- I feel like I can enjoy most of the foods I want without feeling guilty (buttered steak!)
- Gym close to work, so I made a conscious decision to make a clear break from work to goto the gym at lunch
- Have a dog that depends on me to get his weekly exercise

I also learned that 2-3 Oz of cream cheese by itself is nasty :(

Looking forward to what progress awaits in the next 4 weeks :)

Lashley

^ Great progress.

Check out /r/ketogains they'll likely have something that can help with your drop in reps

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm still running 4 days a week, thanks to the persistence of my Border Collie. And we just got a pup too, this one is a bit more high strung and bred for cattle work. They'll have it in for me.

The strength routine is basically Starting Strength 3-4 days a week, with an assortment of accessory lifts.

As to her foresight, we've been together for 15 years. When I was 18, I had spent about 5 days a week in the weightroom for at least an hour a day since I was ~14, as I took playing football pretty seriously, and my high school had a very intense program. So, that guy she married is the one that kept up the eating habits of an 18 y/o linebacker through his late 20s. :p

tyvm!

Same as us then! Met in the high school when I did sports, wrecked my physique with 10 years in Business Class and corporate dinners, and now getting back to where we started.

I must say your muscle gain looks astonishing

2 weeks into my weight loss journey and I've lost 9lb so far. Feeling pretty great about it but realistically I know I won't maintain that kind of loss (I lost 3 stone about 5 years ago in my first attempt at getting my life together and seem to remember dropping a huge amount in the first couple of weeks and then levelling out to a steady 1-2lb weekly loss).

Have to say, MyFitnessPal has been an absolute godsend. Logging EVERY calorie really does make all the difference. I'm actually finding it pretty easy to stay under my daily limit, and I don't even feel like I'm depriving myself of anything; I'm just eating less of the bad stuff (there's no way I could cut things like bread and chocolate out completely; I've tried numerous times in the past and just ended up miserable). According to the calculations I should be losing 2lb per week, which I'm more than happy with.

9lb down, 75 to go!

That transformation is truly astonishing and inspiring. Great job.

Lashley

2 weeks into my weight loss journey and I've lost 9lb so far. Feeling pretty great about it but realistically I know I won't maintain that kind of loss (I lost 3 stone about 5 years ago in my first attempt at getting my life together and seem to remember dropping a huge amount in the first couple of weeks and then levelling out to a steady 1-2lb weekly loss).

Have to say, MyFitnessPal has been an absolute godsend. Logging EVERY calorie really does make all the difference. I'm actually finding it pretty easy to stay under my daily limit, and I don't even feel like I'm depriving myself of anything; I'm just eating less of the bad stuff (there's no way I could cut things like bread and chocolate out completely; I've tried numerous times in the past and just ended up miserable). According to the calculations I should be losing 2lb per week, which I'm more than happy with.

9lb down, 75 to go!

Good work.

Yeah, eventually the weight loss will slow down a bit, but that's simply because you've got less weight to lose!

As for the bread and chocolate, I'm the same. Had an Aero yoghurt earlier (94 calories) And a small milky way bar (100 calories), fitted in my daily calorie goal though and I feel really full for the day.

Don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, this is why people fail. Just need to be more strict and have it fit your diet.

9lb down, 75 to go!

good job so far! i used to use MFP but kinda stopped. since it's pretty much the same stuff every week and the same measurement. i'm at the point where i know how many calories and such lol.

9lb down, 75 to go!
Sounds just like me, in every way! I've dumped the chocolate, but I can *never* go without semi-skimmed milk...though I have somehow gone from a pint a day to half a pint a day.

We have a similar weight loss goal; I'm 5 weeks into my diet and have lost a shade under 20lbs so far (lost 10.2lbs in my first 2 weeks, so you'll probably experience a similar result). MFP really does work. I was skeptical but figured I'd try it!

Currently at 280 lbs with a weight loss of 176lbs.

Lost about 26 lbs since Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (was 306 then) and in two weeks, I'll be able to eat pureed foods and finally have some kind of fullness (most liquids can go straight through me since pyloric valve only really holds back for more solid food).

Going for an admissions test for Washtenaw Community College on Saturday (I have 15k worth of FAFSA money) and hopefully I can advance my career while I recover and by the time I am done recovering, I can get a job that isn't flipping burgers or stocking shelves at a low-end store.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Keeping over a 700 calorie deficit and seeing your weight go up is incredibly demoralizing, two days in a row now. I always weigh in the morning after using the restroom.

My body would basically have to shutdown to gain 3lbs in 2 days, come on science what the fuck. yeahyeah water weight and whatnot I know.
misc-fEEd.png

Azulsky

Currently at 280 lbs with a weight loss of 176lbs.

Lost about 26 lbs since Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (was 306 then) and in two weeks, I'll be able to eat pureed foods and finally have some kind of fullness (most liquids can go straight through me since pyloric valve only really holds back for more solid food).

Going for an admissions test for Washtenaw Community College on Saturday (I have 15k worth of FAFSA money) and hopefully I can advance my career while I recover and by the time I am done recovering, I can get a job that isn't flipping burgers or stocking shelves at a low-end store.

Cant stop this train.

Hazaro its salt probably. I get that on sometimes on weekends if I go out to eat even keeping under calories. Gain 4 lbs overnight and over the next week it slowly tapers off. Drinking more water will speed it up.

Ive basically been from -2 to +3 lbs from when i stopped. I kinda have settled at 2900 calories which is enough for me to do my gym routine. Whenever I gain a lb or 2 my anxiety gets the better of me and then i taper down till its gone. I suppose ill get my shit together if my lifting progress stalls out.

Halcyon

I've posted this in some other thread but I'm still fairly proud of my progression.

Went from 290-295 to 195 over the course of a few years.
N6yuBVu.jpg

mkenyon, Deadly Joker, Halcyon...some incredible progress pics on this page! Inspirational!

I have a question for anybody who wants to throw their 2 cents in...I have a summer party with work on Friday. It's basically a pub crawl for the night. To those of you that count calories, how do you treat events like this? Do you just let your hair down and have a day where you can do what you like (this would be my first day of this kind in 6 weeks)? Do you still keep an eye on it and log stuff? Do you try to eat/drink in moderation as best you can?

It'll be interesting to see what I feel like doing.

Azulsky

mkenyon, Deadly Joker, Halcyon...some incredible progress pics on this page! Inspirational!

I have a question for anybody who wants to throw their 2 cents in...I have a summer party with work on Friday. It's basically a pub crawl for the night. To those of you that count calories, how do you treat events like this? Do you just let your hair down and have a day where you can do what you like (this would be my first day of this kind in 6 weeks)? Do you still keep an eye on it and log stuff? Do you try to eat/drink in moderation as best you can?

I get hit by a single drink like it is a freight train now so I would be doing 1 drink per pub at most.

Lashley

Keeping over a 700 calorie deficit and seeing your weight go up is incredibly demoralizing, two days in a row now. I always weigh in the morning after using the restroom.

My body would basically have to shutdown to gain 3lbs in 2 days, come on science what the fuck. yeahyeah water weight and whatnot I know.
misc-fEEd.png

Don't weigh yourself everyday. Weight fluctuates constantly throughout the day.

Don't worry about it and have a day off.

One day won't fuck up your progress, just like one day won't fix it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Same deal here, I started exercising this week after doing no exercise at all and I gained 4lbs while eating 1800 calories a day. Apparently it's due to the muscles repairing and holding onto water, it still hurts though as I'm working my ass off to lose this final 14lbs and I actually gain weight. It's T25 as well, so it's really tough for me :(

Eanan

Heres a quick before and after of me.

About a year in the difference, approx 80lb loss also. Excuse the pictures, they could be more showing for a weight loss comparison, but im not the most photogenic and not a selfie taker at all really.

b8noEkrl.jpg

Heres a quick before and after of me.

About a year in the difference, approx 80lb loss also. Excuse the pictures, they could be more showing for a weight loss comparison, but im not the most photogenic and not a selfie taker at all really.

b8noEkrl.jpg
Awesome progress!

Y8CUjjn.jpg

Its crazy to think I'm only ~12 lbs away from 200 lbs after starting at 267 lbs in January. I never thought when I started that I'd get this low. Hell, my original goal was 242, then 225, now 200. I can't believe even at 212 I'm the lowest I've been in 15 years. Feels great! :)

Not sure what I am going to do for the next two weeks. Have training all day as schools gets closer, and they provide a catered lunch every day.

Diet. Killer.

Totally forgot to post in here last week. I've had an interesting couple of weeks...so the Friday before last was my first real cheat day, as it was my work's summer party. I dumped the calorie counting and had fun with a dozen drinks or so. Managed to lose 2.6 lbs that week, which I was alright with.

Then this past week, I had another night out on Friday, a very impromptu one...drank even more, danced a lot, felt bad though as that was supposed to be a treadmill night. Though to be fair, I did dance for several hours. And I must have danced a shitload, as I've lost 5.6lbs since last Sunday. That is fucking ridiculous! I did nothing different to the previous week, diet or exercise wise. In fact I missed a treadmill session.

So I'm at a 27.8lbs loss in 7 weeks, which is 0.2lbs shy of 2 stone. Very pleased.

Azulsky

Something I was thinking about because I hear it from people I talk to on MFP quite often, and because it hit me pretty good this weekend after getting back to leg days after a brief hiatus.

If you just started resistance training(weight lifting, yoga, even body weight stuff), you are very likely going to stall and/or go up weight slightly for the first couple of weeks or even up to a month. When you damage your muscle your body repairs it and to do so it needs water. You are going to hold onto more water and that will be reflected in the scale. Don't freak out and drop your calories, just stay the course and drink plenty of water.

If you keep exercising with high intensity you are going to be retaining that water all the time until you stop for a sufficient period(like a week). Eventually the amount of fat lost will be greater than the water retention and the scale progress will resume.

You are still losing weight, so don't freak.

Yep, I don't know all about the factors of water retention but I am aware of it. I won't let anything dishearten me, I'll keep on going the way I'm going and we'll be all good. Thanks for the info though. :)

AnAnole

Here it is, I'm down 111 lbs since April 6th when I had my vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

Near my max weight; fat, mostly depressed, wore anything that would fit, hence the shirt:

uWP5mIW.jpg

to

now:

KUcxwn9.jpg

e5ATKmR.jpg

Kureransu

I'll jump in the fray..

I was as big as 380 (i'm 5'8") but here's me in june 2008 at 340 (and proud of it!)

big340lbs.jpg

In January of 2009 I started lifting and never looked back.

Here is me 3 weeks ago at 196

196_08_2015.jpg

Azulsky

Inspiring results gentlemen.

On an odder note, I got the 'you are too skinny' comment from my mother yesterday. Apparently once you lose weight you open the floodgates for commentary that had to be with held for whatever reasons when you were obese.

Im not really skinny, I'm 230lbs, 6'5", eating 3500 calories a day, and hitting the gym 5x a week. Cant win with some folks apparently.

Kureransu

Inspiring results gentlemen.

On an odder note, I got the 'you are too skinny' comment from my mother yesterday. Apparently once you lose weight you open the floodgates for commentary that had to be with held for whatever reasons when you were obese.

Im not really skinny, I'm 230lbs, 6'5", eating 3500 calories a day, and hitting the gym 5x a week. Cant win with some folks apparently.

I was told that the day i took that picture as well. Everyone's a critic lol.

MrT

Some awesome progress in this thread! I'm still sitting at ~115kg - had to cancel my gym membership due to lack of funds and my motivation has been a bit lacking. That being said, I've still not put any weight back on, and I had my diabetes checkup the other day and the doctor was very pleased with my progress. Blood pressure, cholesterol and liver & kidney function were all "perfect", and my blood sugar has got to the point where they're reduced my tablet dosage again.

Thorzilla

You guys are awesome! Keep up the great work. I don't have pictures but when I was 16 my weight was about 250 lbs. Started working out and cutting a few corners here and there and at 17 I was at 160 lbs. I did gain a few pounds a year ago after letting myself go and I bounced back to 198 lbs, but I finished 1 round of P90X3, 1 round of 21 day fix and I'm sitting at 180 lbs.

I really, really recommend those two at-home workouts for weight loss. Gonna try Insanity next and crush those extra pounds. Has anyone given it a shot?

Azulsky

Some awesome progress in this thread! I'm still sitting at ~115kg - had to cancel my gym membership due to lack of funds and my motivation has been a bit lacking. That being said, I've still not put any weight back on, and I had my diabetes checkup the other day and the doctor was very pleased with my progress. Blood pressure, cholesterol and liver & kidney function were all "perfect", and my blood sugar has got to the point where they're reduced my tablet dosage again.

Congrats on that improved bill of health.
If nothing else keep yourself active with walking.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I lost 4lbs this week and I'm at my lowest weight since I started last year, only 5lbs from my goal. I think once I reach it I may think about doing a GoFundMe for skin removal as I'm not and will never be in a position to pay for it myself (it's about £12,000). If I were to have the skin removed I'd be at a healthy weight (medically) and I'd be at a size I would be happy at.

Azulsky

I lost 4lbs this week and I'm at my lowest weight since I started last year, only 5lbs from my goal. I think once I reach it I may think about doing a GoFundMe for skin removal as I'm not and will never be in a position to pay for it myself (it's about £12,000). If I were to have the skin removed I'd be at a healthy weight (medically) and I'd be at a size I would be happy at.

I am considering it for next year sometime. I am fortunate enough to be in the position to pay for it, though it means I will have to keep up my current car for a few more years and/or keep renting instead of getting my own place.

Hardest part for me honestly is the 3-4 weeks down time that seems pretty common with circumferential removal. I will have to get with my boss and try to fit it in between projects.

Some weird progress the past few weeks!

Week 8: 1.8lbs loss
Week 9: 2.4lbs loss
Week 10: 5lbs loss
Total: 37lbs loss (3.7lbs per week average)

No major changes to my diet or exercise during these weeks, except for a takeaway food treat during week 8 which caused me to miss a round of exercise...

I'm about halfway to my target now. Still enjoying it, feeling and looking better. :D

rykomatsu

How do you guys mentally deal with injuries while losing weight? I was on a pretty self-satisfying weight loss streak, then injured my leg while hiking, so can't do much cardio or lower body work. Itching to get back to the gym and trail running it's been eating away at me. :-(

Azulsky

Just stay the course with dieting. I had a bad knee issue last year and it kept me from doing any real exercise for a few months.

I have plenty of lazy hobbies so those help too.

My general trend when not exercising is to cut back carb intake.

Eanan

I have found that cutting out a lot of red meat and replacing it with fish most days of the week and bulking up my dinner plate with sweet potato and broccoli has really helped me get out of the stall I had about a month ago. I now rarely eat pasta or bread and just steam some of those instead. I highly recommend it. Down another 7-8 pounds in the past month, oh so close to the target.

Finally hit sub-160 today at 159.8 lbs. I was 226.6 lbs exactly one year ago today, at 6'2".

Still have just a few more pounds of belly fat to go, though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
First time posting photos, be gentle. Apparently losing 90lbs and removing the neckbeard makes you look like a fucking child lol, I will grow back a more well kept beard.

bZ9FJ61.jpg

Top Bottom