• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

You are very very wrong about Rogue.

=/

Preordering TGT
laugh.gif

Welp, I just did preordered it, so.... XD

Fireblend

Banned
I've been having a nice win-lose ratio with my aggro rogue deck. I think it finally overtook my win ratio with midrange hunter at least, which is great because I finally felt confident enough to try it out in constructed, I have tons more fun playing it even when I lose, and it helped me hit rank 13 again.

Warriors and Priests are the worst though. They just heal too much and I can't keep up :( I had a domination quest today for hunter and I just decided to auto-concede to every warrior. They can go die in a fire.

Xanathus

I think you're misunderstanding the original meaning of my comment that TGT is ok to skip on. Sure there are nice cards in TGT that can boost the weaker classes like Priest and Shaman but unlike Naxx, GVG and BRM a player that doesn't have a single card from TGT can still compete at the highest levels of play with existing decks. There aren't any Mad Scientists or Piloted Shredders which will completely wreck someone who doesn't own that expansion.

zoukka

I called out Challenger the second I saw him. Dr. Boom levels of op in the right deck (there's a possibility that secret paladin is bad so that's the only shadow over the card).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think you're misunderstanding the original meaning of my comment that TGT is ok to skip on. Sure there are nice cards in TGT that can boost the weaker classes like Priest and Shaman but unlike Naxx, GVG and BRM a player that doesn't have a single card from TGT can still compete at the highest levels of play with existing decks. There aren't any Mad Scientists or Piloted Shredders which will completely wreck someone who doesn't own that expansion.

Obviously you don't need TGT to compete with existing decks. How shortsighted an argument this is honestly.

People say this shit before like every card expansion ever and they're nearly always wrong. The meta will change.

Danj

I think he means that preordering TGT is a joke and you shouldn't do it.

Oh. Well that's okay then. Because I'm not going to. I'm saving my gold for Monday though. Because if I buy TGT packs with gold, at least they won't be duplicates of stuff I already have.

Pooya

Mysterious Challenger is a 6 drop, chances are before you can play it, you end up with your secrets in your hand, what's good about mad scientist is that it's an early drop and even then things like that can happen. Secret are really good early in the game to gain board advantage, at that point they might not matter. Sure, it will be annoying to deal with avenge, redemption and competitive spirit in play at the same time.

Ashodin

Mysterious Challenger is a 6 drop, chances are before you can play it, you end up with your secrets in your hand, what's good about mad scientist is that it's an early drop and even then things like that can happen. Secret are really good early in the game to gain board advantage, at that point they might not matter. Sure, it will be annoying to deal with avenge, redemption and competitive spirit in play at the same time.

Dude it pulls them out of your deck. Every single one you have that you can equip. Do you know what that means? Those cards aren't in your deck, it's a smaller and leaner deck you're drawing through now.

Xanathus

I just realized that Secret Keeper can be Undertaker level insane in a Secrets Paladin deck since it and secrets are only 1 mana. It's too bad that Paladin doesn't have more Secret synergy cards like Eaglehorn Bow, Kirin Tor Mage and Ethereal Arcanist.

Pooya

Dude it pulls them out of your deck. Every single one you have that you can equip. Do you know what that means? Those cards aren't in your deck, it's a smaller and leaner deck you're drawing through now.

You don't seem to know what that means, it won't play the secrets if they end up in your hand before you can play it, since you know, they are not in your deck any more.

---------

A paladin deck with like 5 secrets, will be pretty weak if you ask me.

Ashodin

You don't seem to know what that means, it won't play the secrets if they end up in your hand before you can play it, since you know, they are not in your deck any more.

---------

A paladin deck with like 5 secrets, will be pretty weak if you ask me.

I'm not talking about your hand man. I'm talking about deck. Secrets in your hand can be played easy because they're cheap.

Dahbomb

Like Helm Breaker ridiculous? I mean, what are the possibilities?
Like the only thing that doesn't make this card completely broken is that A) you need to put Secrets in your Paladin deck, preferably 3 or more and B) Paladin secrets are generally not good enough.

If you play this card and get 2-3 Secrets in play... that's ridiculous no matter how you analyze it. It's ridiculous in the sense that you drew those cards and played them instantly for free. You are thinning out your deck right after you play Mysterious Challenger because you have removed 2-3 "mediocre" cards from your deck and greatly increase your chance of acquiring one of your better cards.

Mad Scientist's effect is delayed so you can deal with him a bit easier with stuff like Silence, kill him then deal with silence. Against Mysterious Challenger, he's immune to silence, he's immune to BGH and is a strong enough body by itself but you now have to deal with multiple secrets on the board while this body is in play.

If it's Avenge + Competitive Spirit that are summoned and they have like a Shredder alongside the 6/6... that puts you in a very dicey spot. If you don't remove the board, then those creatures will get buffed the next turn for free. If you kill one then the other gets buffed by Avenge (I guess you can make the argument that you can kill the Shredder, get the Mysterious Challenger into BGH range... but let's be real here... you are using BGH on a non Dr Balanced target here).

Things get even more complicated having just one more secret. If there is Noble Sacrifice alongside those two secrets, that makes it much harder for you to remove his board especially if you have minions in play.

The only downside is that to get maximum value from this card you need to put a good amount of secrets in your deck and that could be a negative because you could easily draw a few of them before turn 6 play (or before Mad Scientist summons them as you definitely want to be running Mad Scientists in that deck as well). That requires a lot of playtesting to find the optimal amount of secrets where you don't clog your hand with secrets and still get value off of Mad Scientists/Mysterious Challengers. Decks that utilize Mad Scientist use around 3 secrets (sometimes 2 sometimes 4), Mysterious Challenger gives you an incentive to run 4 I feel.

The good secrets in Paladin dictate the type of deck that will be using this and it fits into a more Aggro/Midrange type Paladin (because IMO Avenge and Competitive Spirit are the best). You start with Mad Scientists, Muster for Battle, Shredder and then you curve into Mysterious Challenger like you curve into Savanna Highmane with Hunter.

Of course I am not the only one who thinks, quite a few other streamers/players have commented on the potential power of this card. As no good Secret oriented Paladin deck exists currently, it's very difficult to accurately gauge this card's power level. It could still not be usable of course and I would be completely wrong... but hey at least I am trying to think outside the box.

Yeah, I'm not sold on Mysterious Challenger either.

Like, how many Paladin secrets are you really going to run? I can't imagine a deck flooded with secrets is going to do too well. Even Mage and Hunter, who have some downright insane secrets, rarely go over 3.

Dahbomb

I think the question is how many secrets does this card have to pull for this card to be amazing.

I think 3 (or more) is the dream, 2 is great/good enough but pulling 1 might not be enough.

In any case this is the type of card that needs to be playtested thoroughly in a properly optimized deck to get a feel of how the deck would play out and how it stacks up. It's very difficult to gauge the strength of this card just sitting here in theory craft mode.

Problem being running that many secrets without other synergy cards is really not that good, I think…

Not nearly in the way that Mage can abuse secrets.

Would need a very specific deck that would have to be fine-tuned.

Pooya

those type of paladin decks run Divine Favor, which could ruin a card like that.

The ideal scenario is to trim the deck with this on turn 6, then divine favor to get all the good cards. It seems like a highly fragile strategy but who knows, maybe it works ok.

I think that, if he pulls 2 secrets then you're happy.

My concern is what secrets though? Avenge would clearly be one you'd run but after that I'm not sure. Competitive Spirit doesn't seem like it's going to have that much of an impact at the point of the game where you're running out Mysterious Challenger. Eye for Eye probably isn't happening and I'd be surprised if Repentance or Redemption do either although the latter has seen play in the past to combo with Tirion. Maybe you run Noble Sacrifice then? It does have some good synergy with Avenge at least.

I just think Paladin needs more secrets on the level of Avenge before you really commit to Mysterious Challenger.

Magnus

I really fucking wish this has launched yesterday. Would have loved going crazy with new cards and packs this wknd. Monday onward is going to be a shitstorm at work. I'll be lucky to get a couple of games in.

Dahbomb

I think Competitive Spirit, Avenge and MAYBE Noble Sacrifice as your potential 3rd one are good enough. Getting those cards for free is fine and those cards are at least playable by themselves.

Eye for an Eye, Redemption and Repentance are generally too garbage by themselves... however even something like Repentance becomes a huge pain in the ass when you play a 6/6 and then it makes the other guy's summon really awkward (like say they want to put down a Dr Balanced but you already have a 1/1 in play, well that DR Balanced will now die to the 1/1 if Repentance gets summoned).

Xanathus

A Mysterious Challenger midrange Paladin deck would look something like this
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...91:2;12223:2;12257:2;12280:1;22363:2;22394:2;

It looks like it might be a deck that relies on snowballing from turn 1 and you need to have a board when you play Mysterious Challenger on 6. Kinda like midrange Hunter except you have Challenger instead of Highmane. Probably needs a Defender of Argus in there as well.

edit: -1 Lay on Hands, +1 Argus
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...91:2;12223:2;12257:2;12280:1;22363:2;22394:2;

Mad Scientist isn't good in this deck because 1 mana secrets are too low value for it and it also reduces the value of Mysterious Challenger, and Secret Keeper is actually a great card for contesting early board and has snowball potential and hedges against drawing your secrets early.

Dahbomb

Yeah probably something like that only I probably wouldn't use Secret Keepers and just use Mad Scientists plus one Dr Balanced.

V-Faction

Dr. Secret

You're wondering who I am (secret secret 6 free secrets)
Mech or Mysterious Man (secret secret 6 free secrets)
With parts in a Tourney so Grand (secret secret too many secrets)
I am the Modern Plan!

Domo Arigato, Dr. Boomboto

I am the mysterious man (secret secret 6 free secrets)
My deck is Pal-a-dan (secret secret just 1 more secret)
My cards no one else can see (secret secret I want mage secrets)
I've spent ALL MY MON-EY!

Thank you very much, Dr. Boomboto!

Beyond my board control. We all need control.
I need con-trooool. Please no aggroooooo!

I'm Kiljoy! Kiljoy! Kiljoy!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
With mysterious challenger, you're running 3-4 mediocre cards just to get it to work maybe half the time. I hope it works out but I'm not confident.

Opiate

My girlfriend is looking for a plugin which tracks your pack openings and tells you how many rares/epics/legendaries you've gotten from packs opened. Anyone know of such a thing, or is Excel the best option?

IceMarker

What do you guys think?

You're wondering who I am (secret secret 6 free secrets)
Mech or Mysterious Man (secret secret 6 free secrets)
With parts in a Tourney so Grand (secret secret too many secrets)
I am the Modern Plan!

Domo Arigato, Dr. Boomboto

I am the mysterious man (secret secret 6 free secrets)
My deck is Pal-a-dan (secret secret just 1 more secret)
My cards no one else can see (secret secret I want mage secrets)
I've spent ALL MY MON-EY!

Thank you very much, Dr. Boomboto!

Beyond my board control. We all need control.
I need con-trooool. Please no aggroooooo!

I'm Kiljoy! Kiljoy! Kiljoy!

Bravo.

Jrmint

I wonder if that timmahtim guy from today's fireside gathering finals will get picked up by a pro team. I hope he does, seemed like a genuinely nice guy and a really good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom