• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Now that we'we've gotten their role blocker I'm no longer recommending caution when it comes to item claims. Don't say everything there is to say, so we can confirm another owner down the road, but I'm guessing the holder of the book is safe from Cultist activity. Well, as safe as the rest us are, in any case.

I do. It was a distraction we had to get rid of. Blarg couldn't let himself not be the topic of conversation. Matt winning was regrettable but wasn't really a big deal.

LoC was free to go back and forth on Blarg or Coppa because they were both fine to kill. So that lets them get a bunch of posts in where they are perfectly genuine since they have no horse in the fight and build their "cred".

LoC was the primary driver of that distraction. He was using Blarg to manipulate us, just as Darryl warned.

Ok, if I understand this correctly, nin1000 had the book yesterday, right?

I'm not sure if I want to ask him if he used it or not, but now that we have an alive past owner of the book, and now that we know what it can do based off of N2, I want to ask him what the 5 power it has are

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
LoC's posting style was too feeble and neutral and he never had strong opinions either way IMO so in the end it all makes sense. I honestly can't say I'm shocked at all. But there's someone out there protecting us then it seems, I was honestly about ready to throw in the towel after the despair of the last lynching. We're back in the game people.

RetroMG

Ok, if I understand this correctly, nin1000 had the book yesterday, right?

I'm not sure if I want to ask him if he used it or not, but now that we have an alive past owner of the book, and now that we know what it can do based off of N2, I want to ask him what the 5 power it has are

He's deliberately kept that a secret, so that whoever has the book today can confirm one of the hidden powers, so we know that they really have it.

Compilation of all of LoC's semi-substansial or more posts last day because I can't be bothered to look through all of the Blarg and La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo posts right now

I think the most likely possibilities right now are.

-Darryl doesn't use item Day 1
-Neuromancer gets item Day 2
-Neuromancer erases Sorian
-SK kills Darryl

OR

Darryl lied about losing the item, and didn't think the odds of Cultists targeting him were high. So...

-Darryl uses item to erase Neuromancer and Sorian
-Darryl dies as result
-Sk doesn't exist
Possibly, that's 1 option.

A: Darryl used the time cube to do this to himself.
B: The timecube doesn't discriminate by faction.

I'm not sure what the thought behind that move was if it was fake. "I have a 1 use item that disappears tonight. Attack me Cultists!"

Biggest thing I'm getting from this:

Cultists don't like the idea of the Necronomicon (btw, I have no idea if the book actually is that, just a guess), so while we definitely should be very careful, we can still use it.

I agree with the idea that the current book holder should stay quiet though

Lol. We don't even know if Sorian was Cult. We learned nothing from this.

But he knew something about Sorian. Not sure if Sorian was a neutral, cultist, or super PR of some sort, Sorian probably did not have an ordinary role. He could've even been an insane tourist, given all those "I'm pretty sure I'll be night killed soon" statements.

But I don't really want to focus on this line of conversation, it gets us nowhere, I just don't want people pointing out I missed a post or something

I do think LoC was mostly shooting in the dark like all of us and that scumchat was trying to piece things together at the same time

It wasn't a life or death situation for either side. Both sides had completely valid points.

I hate that "do or die" narrative that was spun yesterday. Like only 1 side was protown.

The biggest one for me.

LoC says this immediately after someone questions why the cultists jumped on the blarg lynch tour.

Which brings that question up again

And overall, looking at his posts, he stayed rather low key last day phase. Of course, nobody posted much, but this s all the more reason we should try our damn hardest to avoid days like yesterday. When you don't even have a confirmed good target,letting people slip by in the shadows is a bad play. I don't see many other outcomes of yesterday without coppunuva dying, but we let scum freely stay in the shadows yesterday.

Oh, and I'm wondering what happened to the mafia kill. Something happened, because no non-mafiia died

He's deliberately kept that a secret, so that whoever has the book today can confirm one of the hidden powers, so we know that they really have it.

How many powers do we know so far. Feel like we have two, maybe three.

I guess we're saving the rest of future plays like this.

I like ya already, Hyper. You ain't too chicken t' get your hands dirty right off th' bat.

My theory fer why there was no cult kill last night is that because th' cult spent their night either recruitin' someone or turnin' someone insane, which is why I'm so gung-ho about tryin' to find out who might be a high-priority target for 'em. Th' vigilante's been doin' a good job keepin' cult numbers down at night, but we need t' start figurin' out who our prime day target is based on logic an' information instead'a hunches, cuz we can see how well those've gone so far.

If your reason for suspecting me was that I tried to poke a few holes in your argument about Coppa you might be thinking about this a little shallowly. It is pretty unlikely that the cult will tie themselves up in a nice little bow. It isn't going to be "oh, well he defended him that one time, so he's a cult, and then he argued for her so she's a cult, oh look we win!"

If your primary reason was my playstyle, that's more fair. I'm bad at making reads and also think most reads are nonsense, so I don't like to do them. That's why most of my posts deal with game mechanics and known information (namely role PMs and votes). It's why I was more involved with the Blarg stuff than the Coppa vote. In general this all leads to me having pretty low activity on the first few days. Generally my goal on those days is just not to get killed, since I'm the one confirmed town I know. I acknowledge how this can be look suspicious.

Now that we have some more information with another outed cultist hopefully I can contribute more.

Your playstyle the first couple days was the primary reason. Your undying aggression toward my beloved was secondary, but perhaps we just have a fundamental disagreement about Blarg. Coppa was a supporting argument. It's true that scum don't want to link themselves so clearly, but your defense of him was very weak and my thinking was that you'd have to play a bit riskier if there was a danger of losing the second Cultist on Day Two. He also listed you and and a couple of other probable Tourists as suspicious, so I thought he was trying to slyly exonerate you in case he was lynched.

It was a tangled web, indeed, that I dreamed up. You were essentially the final boss of my theory, but now it seems that LoC occupied the space in the Cult I had imagined you to hold. So you're largely off my radar for now.

For two days running Coppa was merely a pawn in my much larger game plan. I'm truly sorry for that, Coppa. I swing hard, but sometimes I'm going to miss. #Team800Feet

On the upside, hooray we got one. (This Vig is my MVP tbh.) I was at my wit's end by the end of Day 3 due to the combo of Day 2+3's complete clusterfuckery, so getting another cultist has really reinvigorated my passion to... spin my wheels and think some more about what to do next. I totally had LoC down as Town, rip my opinions of people.

On the downside, it is also best to err on the safe side and assume that the fact that there was only one kill is because they got their man and we're likely looking at an Insane Tourist who has been converted to Cult today.

On a different note:

I have the item today.

One of the powers is a double vote. I can make my decision whether or not to use it Night 4 and then it will be mine on Day 5. If I choose to use it, I will also go insane on Day 5.

Timeaisis

I think they likely recruited someone last night. It would explain the lack of a night kill.

As for what happened to LoC, I can see a few scenarios:
1. LoC put someone to sleep and felt the "consequences" mentioned in his role PM.
2. The Vig/SK got him.
3. The switcher switched the cult's targets with LoC (which would've been quite the crazy hunch)

2 and 3 seem unlikely because it would require someone to have sniffed out LoC yesterday but not say a word. It's possible, but they'd have to either been really clever or really lucky. So I think most likely someone here got targeted by LoC and the consequences happened.

The issue there is, and this has been kind of bugging me all game, is there another faction at play here? We know we've got cultists, sure, but i get the nagging feeling that there's some other faction pulling the strings. Seems very odd to me that two cultists are already down. Could be nothing, though.

I think they likely recruited someone last night. It would explain the lack of a night kill.

The generic Cultist text doesn't say anything about recruitment, and Zatoth confirmed that someone can only be recruited if they were insane at the beginning of the game. I strongly suspect that recruitment is its own action, and their SACRIFICE turned somebody insane last night. What temporary insanity actually means is anyone's guess.

1. LoC put someone to sleep and felt the "consequences" mentioned in his role PM.
2. The Vig/SK got him.
3. The switcher switched the cult's targets with LoC (which would've been quite the crazy hunch)

2 and 3 seem unlikely because it would require someone to have sniffed out LoC yesterday but not say a word. It's possible, but they'd have to either been really clever or really lucky. So I think most likely someone here got targeted by LoC and the consequences happened.

The issue there is, and this has been kind of bugging me all game, is there another faction at play here? We know we've got cultists, sure, but i get the nagging feeling that there's some other faction pulling the strings. Seems very odd to me that two cultists are already down. Could be nothing, though.

If it's a Karkador-style serial killer, they might have thought they were targeting a Tourist in LoC and got unlucky. I can't imagine anybody clearly read him as a Cultist, but if they did they are amazing at this game.

ultron87

I am sad that this mostly confirms that those two player I can't quite remember are gone for good and weren't just temporarily blinked out of existence. Even though we're in pretty good shape right now, having two extra players would be pretty nice.

Great night for the town once again. Out of curiosity, has there been anyone besides me who has thought of LoC as a Cultist?

Iirc, there were people who thought he might be neutral Day 1 and 2 based on his behavior towards Blarg

LoC wanted Blarg out. Going back to day 2, you can see it.

Other random posts I'm finding from him that might be useful

Great Charleston is an inactive player who still hasn't rebounded. That's probably who I would lead with tomorrow. Stong chance of a Cultist coaster.

Coppa is interesting. He's picked up on activity, but is using scummy tactics like reverse psychology. Right now he's more useful than GC, but if his activity drops again he should be lynched fully.

Both players are likely scum.

Not to say he might not be using reverse psychology in this post, but this makes me somewhat less suspicious of Great_Charleston

Droplet

Not to say he might not be using reverse psychology in this post, but this makes me somewhat less suspicious of Great_Charleston

Charleston was a hella easy target at the time. His posts are far and few between, seem unsubstantial, and he's terrible at defending himself. Half the reason I stopped suspecting him wasn't because of the real content in his posts, but his complete and utter confusion at everything that seemed to be happening at the time. He's probably not an easy target anymore, but he was an obvious one then.

2. The Vig/SK got him.

Eeeh, three nights running with kills that could be done by a third party makes me think we have an SK and the cultists just turned someone insane last night. It's true that LoC makes for a very unlikely candidate, but I think it's weirder that we only had one death tonight over the normal two we would have suspected. Plus, it looks like the Sleep command was just another power, like if he had the ability to investigate, so if that had backfired and caused his death, I would have expected three bodies tonight, not one.

On your last point, I don't know. After our first night I thought there might have been a third party, but I'm thinking now that this is being done alone. It feels like maybe this person has access to some kind of information we aren't privy to, but I might be biased because otherwise they are kicking our collective asses at scum hunting.

Droplet

We'll have to wait for nin on that.

Oh, and NF, since you were gunning for nin before: now that you have the book, what do you think about the thought that only tourists can get it?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Well, actually y'see he's just covering me on his behalf, he's actually the sacrifical lamb so I can ascend and slowly consume you all. That is the aim of the game after all.

Charleston was a hella easy target at the time. His posts are far and few between, seem unsubstantial, and he's terrible at defending himself. Half the reason I stopped suspecting him wasn't because of the real content in his posts, but his complete and utter confusion at everything that seemed to be happening at the time. He's probably not an easy target anymore, but he was an obvious one then.

You say this like you've experienced the pressure of getting teamed up on by other players several times. It's not my fault if you're all writing down short stories that can be summed up with like two sentences. A lot of those types have been cut from the game though so there's a lot less pressure and a lot more free reign and frankly it makes the game less tense. Jokes on you though, I just was pretending to be stupid.
lol

With LoC out the game the only other people who seemed similar like I said were Timeasis and Retro but I'm not really pointing fingers here gentlemen. Since I don't recall you all throwing random votes out. (Or maybe I'll have to check up on that.)

We'll have to wait for nin on that.

Oh, and NF, since you were gunning for nin before: now that you have the book, what do you think about the thought that only tourists can get it?

I think that the powers are very town-oriented. I couldn't rule out a Cultist getting it, but equally with the five powers it has and how it seems to have been designed, I'm not sure how they would use it, and it makes more sense for it to be a tool for Town to use. We know that Darryl was a Tourist as he hadn't been converted yet, I'd be very surprised if Neuro wasn't a Tourist, I'm a Tourist, so I suppose it makes sense for nin to be a Tourist too. You can't really judge these things based on four people though. LoC's flip has shown me that maybe my opinions of people need to go back to the drawing board anyway.

But of course, Darryl was an Insane Tourist, and even though he hadn't been converted at the time of receiving the item and by the time he died, it was still entirely possible that he could've been converted after receiving the item, so none of this is really a guarantee of anything if we assume that another Insane Tourist was converted Night 3.

I was also reading AC a bit over the weekend and I found that nin's posting style was quite similar and he was Town there. I suppose some of us have to have lives.

ALSO, random thought, an Insane Tourist would not have known who their scumpartners would be

Example: the ROTY <> L_P exchange no longer exonerates him as a potential Cultist, considering that he wouldn't have had a clue who L_P was at that time. He was a Tourist at that time, of course, but that fact may no longer true as of Day 4

not that I'm accusing him, just the best example to show how all our conventional tells basically go out of the window

[redacted]. Each night phase, one of the Cult of Cthulhu-aligned players may kill/turn insane (depending on Cthulhu’s mood) one of the other players by PMing me the command SACRIFICE: playername. This action will be associated with the player who sent the PM. You may also communicate with your partners at the Quickboard found here.

Remember that the Sacrifice kills or causes insanity at the will of cthulhu. That most likely means that the cult did target someone last night and that that person is now insane.
My guess is that Cthulhu is just random, but I tihnk there is also a chance that its a player role with a "you win when X number of players are insane" win condition. Maybe if too many people go insane we just straight up lose.

Lots to digest. Hitting LoC was awesome, he wasn't really on my radar in either direction.

Rats: I 100% stand by voting to lynch Blarg. He demands far too much of the conversation and quieting down of everything was far more to do with the Neuro/Sorien mess.

Droplet

ALSO, random thought, an Insane Tourist would not have known who their scumpartners would be

Example: the ROTY <> L_P exchange no longer exonerates him as a potential Cultist, considering that he wouldn't have had a clue who L_P was at that time. He was a Tourist at that time, of course, but that fact may no longer true as of Day 4

not that I'm accusing him, just the best example to show how all our conventional tells basically go out of the window

I'm hoping somebody just went insane, but this is the most worrying prospect to me. Someone who we thought was clearly a tourist becomes a cultist, and we have no way of knowing. It is definitely better that this happens sooner than later though, in late game with few people that would be incredibly powerful for cult.

Ok, does anyone have an idea of what this is about?

It means that they're as much in the dark as we are about certain things. We still have a wild card that's liable to dick 'em over hard if they're not careful, and I'll bet that's just tearin' them apart to know.

I'm done playin' chicken with the cult, though. We've gotta start instillin' some fear in 'em, cuz if we keep relying on The Necro Killer to do our wetwork then we're gonna be up tshi creek without a paddle as soon as they wind up dead.

Remember that the Sacrifice kills or causes insanity at the will of cthulhu. That most likely means that the cult did target someone last night and that that person is now insane.
My guess is that Cthulhu is just random, but I tihnk there is also a chance that its a player role with a "you win when X number of players are insane" win condition. Maybe if too many people go insane we just straight up lose.

Lots to digest. Hitting LoC was awesome, he wasn't really on my radar in either direction.

Rats: I 100% stand by voting to lynch Blarg. He demands far too much of the conversation and quieting down of everything was far more to do with the Neuro/Sorien mess.

Hmn, we have't considered that.

Would the tourists know though? Only tourists that began insane can become cult-scum, but could it be possible that one of us became insane and are contributing towards cult win?

nin1000

Banned
Yo nin, given that we're using you to confirm next book holder, I want him to talk about this thing.

Wth are you talking about

Coppa said i should use the item. I was on mobile and wanted to say.
"If i use the item , i should use it on someone who i think will kill me but it will therefore turn me insane" the :( means that i was unsure. I dont have the item anymore ans i did not use it since i was to fucking afraid.

"If i use the item , i should use it on someone who i think will kill me but it will therefore turn me insane" the :( means that i was unsure. I dont have the item anymore ans i did not use it since i was to fucking afraid.

Did you use the item last night phase?

nin1000

Banned
Did you use the item last night phase?
No biggie

"If i use the item , i should use it on someone who i think will kill me but it will therefore turn me insane" the :( means that i was unsure. I dont have the item anymore and i did not use it since i was to fucking afraid.

I did not use it

nin1000

Banned
Hmn, we have't considered that.

Would the tourists know though? Only tourists that began insane can become cult-scum, but could it be possible that one of us became insane and are contributing towards cult win?

That is the thing right now. Since only players who were already insane can become cults, what is the purpose of those who become insane ? Who are they alligned with or what is different. That is still a huge question Mark for me right now. It has to have some Kind of effect or else why would that insane mechanic even exist.

Okay fellas, we're almost 1/3rd of the way through the day and we don't have any solid talkin' points yet. I'm gettin' awfully close to startin' a random vote just to see who cracks under pressure. The cult's safest when we're peckin' for information like a bunch of goddamn chicken, so unless we start layin' stuff on the table we ain't gettin' anywhere.

Zatoth

Current vote count

uPp4R86.gif

8 votes are needed to end the day early

Flame_AC

Might as well have a vote on the table at least, who wants to join in?

VOTE: TheWorthyEdge

I also wouldn't mind putting some pressure on Retro or nin1000.

I've always had a bad feeling about Retro and lynching nin or NF, while they are both more then likely a tourist, it could help us establish a pattern with the item and help us identify more tourists as time goes on.

RetroMG

I also wouldn't mind putting some pressure on Retro or nin1000.

/Shrug

Town here. I mean, push all you want, that's what I've got. I think my history speaks for itself. I've probably put too much faith in the other players, but there hasn't been a lot to go one.

What else would you like to know?

Flame_AC

I'm not necessarily saying your Cult by any stretch of the imagination, just airing my suspicion of you.

This post by LoC is what had me suspicious of him, I even said as much back on Day 1.

Further probing of Lone Prodigy is good, but I think he and Necro are just new. I'd like to not repeat the last two games on lynching inexperienced, and/or overly defensive, players out of the gate. If possible. Two times now, and all it's accomplished is souring the player off from returning. Neither were Mafia, and this is looking to be an extremely similar situation, but the town does what the town does I guess.

It's nice to see Nin1000 engaging today, and Retro surpassed my expectations with his response. Uhhhh, we still need to hear from the inactives but my suspicions have been sated for the most part. I'll read over everything again, and see if something sticks out.

Yes, it would.

He defends L_P, himself, Nin1000, and Retro. That's where my reasoning is coming from. I'm posting this to see what the rest of you all think?

RetroMG

That's in interesting read, but let me give you a little context as a side dish. Castamere had actually been on me prior to the comment you posted:

You just sound too good to be true. Everything you've said has lined up a little too well. In truth you're my wild card solt. My #3 batshit insane pick.
---
Vote: Retromg

Almost everything you've posted so far has been fluff. You've been the worst type of inactive. The lurking, kinda here, but not, type. Treat this as a gentle prod to hear some actual thoughts.

Oh, and 5 hours after I wake up the real inactive witch-hunt begins. Get your ducks in a row before I pet them.

To which I responded in this post. (Which I'll link instead of quote, because it's lengthy)

If I were Cult alongside Castamere, why would he put pressure on me in the thread to post more, and then support me? That's some crazy metagaming, especially if he could just tell me to post more in the super-secret Mafia thread.

RetroMG

In case it was not clear, the post that I linked is what he was referring to when he said, "Retro surpassed my expectations with his response"

I don't think that nin or Retro are suspicious at all. Aside from not knowing a lady when he sees one nin's done nothing outta the ordinary, and Retro's been downright helpful in most'a our discussions. I think puttin' more pressure on TheWorthyEdge might be a good idea if we wanna get him to give us somethin' with actual substance. Borderline-inactivity says one'a two things t' me: chicken cultist who doesn't wanna incriminate themself, or bored tourist who's got nothin' t' add. Let's see what kinda hand you're keepin', Edgy.

VOTE: TheWorthyEdge

Top Bottom