• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

TJP

3/5 isn't "low", it's above average.
Thanks for the clarifiaction Dan.

It's not the score per-se, it's the fact Justin is one of the few journos who can drive and do it well. I've just watched his video review in which Justin states he had one good race in the whole time he was reviewing the game.

Mascot

It's not the score per-se, it's the fact Justin is one of the few journos who can drive and do it well. I've just watched his video review in which Justin states he had one good race in the whole time he was reviewing the game.

Not read the review - how does he qualify 'good race' (ie competitive, exciting etc)?

danowat

Banned

He can drive and yet he doesn't like sim handling and can't race without STM?

It's clear from other reviews that GR don't "get" sim racers, and they prefer arcade racers.

freefornow

My Review Link

I rated it a Buy. Easily the most fun Forza I have played yet and I have played every single one.

Great review. Enjoyed the format and specifics that you went into.(Sorry, first time I've seen your reviews-not the last)

Props for driving the XB GT Coupe. Witness!!

TJP

He can drive and yet he doesn't like sim handling and can't race without STM?

It's clear from other reviews that GR don't "get" sim racers, and they prefer arcade racers.
Justin once held a world record in Sega Rally and F1 2011, beat everyone including the Codemasters dev team in both Grid and several F1 hotlapping events that CM have held (he got his name in Grid 2 by beating everyone, CM included) and is a fan of GT, FM and DC. He's got a lot more credibilty than a lot of so-called experts in the racing genre. Towell and Martin Robinson are two of the few worth reading IMO.

One could argue his preferred racers are less sim however there is no denying Towell is fast and very competent behind a wheel or using a controller.

As for the STM, he explains himself:
There is definitely more grip in Forza 6 compared to Forza 5, but that creates some very strange accidents. I somehow managed to roll my car on a straight because it waggled under acceleration, which grew more violent before turning into a spin, which tipped over and barrelled for some 50m. Needless to say, that would never happen in real life. So after a few hours, I grudgingly switched on stability management and things were more manageable.

Not read the review - how does he qualify 'good race' (ie competitive, exciting etc)?
He states in the video he found the racing dull with a lot of time driving what he calls slow and boring cars and 'spend most of your time in sedate, joyless races' which is why I'm baffled as to why he feels this way as normally Towell loves racing/driving games.

He posted this on his Twitter account:
If Forza 6 had Grid Autosport's racing, driving and damage, it would be the best racing game ever made. But it doesn't. So it isn't.
Very odd as I expected a glowing review from him.

danowat

Banned
Justin once held a world record in Sega Rally and F1 2011, beat everyone including the Codemasters dev team in both Grid and several F1 hotlapping events that CM have held (he got his name in Grid 2 by beating everyone, CM included) and is a fan of GT, FM and DC. He's got a lot more credibilty than a lot of so-called experts in the racing genre. Towell and Martin Robinson are two of the few worth reading IMO.

One could argue his preferred racers are less sim however there is no denying Towell is fast and very competent behind a wheel or using a controller.

He states in the video he found the racing dull with a lot of time driving what he calls slow and boring cars and 'spend most of your time in sedate, joyless races' which is why I'm baffled as to why he feels this way as normally Towell loves racing/driving games.

He posted this on his Twitter account:Very odd as I expected a glowing review from him.

It's a bizarre review, that's for sure!

I somehow managed to roll my car on a straight because it waggled under acceleration, which grew more violent before turning into a spin, which tipped over and barrelled for some 50m.

Hmmm......

terrible

Banned
It's a bizarre review, that's for sure!

Hmmm......

My guess is he gave it too much gas and while wobbling down the straight he hit a curb sideways and flipped it or something. It's definitely possible to flip a car on a straight and it's not particularly unrealistic, I've done it enough in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars lol.

danowat

Banned
My guess is he gave it too much gas and while wobbling down the straight he hit a curb sideways and flipped it or something. It's definitely possible to flip a car on a straight and it's not particularly unrealistic, I've done it enough in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars lol.

I just find it odd that a review is marked down due to user error, but whatever!

Mascot

He posted this on his Twitter account:Very odd as I expected a glowing review from him.

Sounds like he wants the same 'serious' authentic motorsport FM that I want, but that's not a reason to mark this game harshly. FM6 isn't even trying to be that game, it's aiming (and succeeding) at being something else entirely.

GHG

What time is everyone hopping online on Thursday?

We should go all out for the 1st GAF race - nurburgring in the rain.

terrible

Banned
I just find it odd that a review is marked down due to user error, but whatever!

The AI seems to be his biggest issue. It kind of sounds like he had a hard time matching his skill with the AI, like it was either too easy or two hard (a couple cars always being a mile ahead of the pack). That'd be a legit complaint if that is what he experienced.

That car flipping anecdote is just silly though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I love the handling in GRID Autosport. I think the AI is the problem with that one. Can't wait to get into FM6.

Shaneus

This is good to know. I don't hold anyone higher than Robinson for driving game reviews, so I'll have to fire up this GR review of FM6. I'm sure his views are justified, as are the others' despite higher scores.

Edit: Checking out EG, this headline (admittedly, from what seems to be a review/single-player copy) doesn't sound good:
Forza Motorsport 6 takes us back to the series' heyday

Problem is, a lot's happened since then.
That's an MR review. Here.
Published 08/09/2015

Editor's note: This is an early impressions piece based on a weekend playing the single-player mode of Forza Motorsport 6. We'll have a full review once we've been able to spend more time with the campaign and properly assess Forza 6's multiplayer component.
At least it sounds like he'll be reviewing the full thing. But man, I'm just always inclined to accept a review that sounds like a 7ish/10 than something that's all glowing (or picks out token bad things rather than actual bad things). Which is why I despise EG's Driveclub review.

terrible

Banned
Do we know if your personal ghost car updates to your fastest time when hot lapping like it did in Forza 4?

I find it fun racing against myself like that. I spent a lot of time doing that in Forza 4.

I'm not sure. I think it might be launching simultaneously for everyone in all regions. The US Xbox store references that time specifically.

I don't think we'll be able to just start the game and meet 10 minutes later online, there will be shit thrown at us explaining how the game works and the mandatory all-assists on first race.
Nordschleife in the rain without practice, no assists, simulation damage sounds awesome though (chances are that we won't see much of each other, but whatever).

We all have the Ford GT from the demo. That's a suitable car, right?! Right??
Light, stiff, overpowered and low center of gravity so all wheels get the same super low pressure on the wet tarmac. xD

OK guys, been lurking the thread for a while and I'd like to share some questions:

- Some of you have mentioned to play the game this thursday? How come? I thought it was releasing on September the 18th. (Gotta preorder my copy, now that I think of it)

- FM6 definately feels much more grippy than FM5. As someone who just sucks at driving (although I enjoy it a lot), I would like to ask more experienced people (with racing sims, at least), does the handling being more grippy in FM6 make it more "real" than FM5? Because to me it feels more arcade (because it's easier to control your car), or maybe FM5 was way more slippery than real life racing??? Do you think T10 made the controls easier (more grippy) to cater a broader audience unexperienced with racing simulators?

Just wondering.

OK guys, been lurking the thread for a while and I'd like to share some questions:

- Some of you have mentioned to play the game this thursday? How come? I thought it was releasing on September the 18th. (Gotta preorder my copy, now that I think of it)

Digital Ultimate Edition features early access.

- FM6 definately feels much more grippy than FM5. As someone who just sucks at driving (although I enjoy it a lot), I would like to ask more experienced people (with racing sims, at least), does the handling being more grippy in FM6 make it more "real" than FM5? Because to me it feels more arcade (because it's easier to control your car), or maybe FM5 was way more slippery than real life racing??? Do you think T10 made the controls easier (more grippy) to cater a broader audience unexperienced with racing simulators?

Just wondering.

Yeah there was complaints Forza 5 lacked grip, personally I think Forza 6, at least from the demo cars is closer to what I'd expect, how close though I don't know as I haven't driven anything comparable.

For me the force feedback has helped, the cars don't tend to wander so much, there was some pretty large deadzones before but this feels tighter.

Grassy

Just wondering.

The "Ultimate" edition releases a week earlier than the other versions.
The tyre model is constantly being tweaked and worked on with each Forza, a lot of people here felt there wasn't enough grip in Forza 5.. Some people have used the term "driving on ice", which is a bit of an exaggeration but it sums up how slippery people thought it was.
IMO I think the increased grip in Forza 6 is better/more realistic, but doesn't necessarily make it easier. The tyres still have their limits, and if you're pushing for fast laps you'll find them.

What do you guys think are the chances that they add new tracks to the game?

Also, is there any word of forthcoming updates to add weather/night to the existing tracks?

Just curious.

Goddam, I cannot wait until Thurs now! Anyone want to get some ForzaGAF people together on Friday night for some races?

Here is the ForzaGAF list so far:

GAF Name: Gamertag:

Shortt Sirket Shortt Sirket
Devildoll SCR0NE
Sarbear Dead P0ul
CrudeDiatribe CrudeDiatribe
EBreda Ed Balboa
danowat danowat32
frontieruk frontieruk
Terbinator Soggy Naan
SkinnerSw33t SkinnerSw33t
op_ivy LoopOfHenle
revas NastyTheMenace
JoJo UK JoJo UK
Luckydog Lucky26
Got the Shakes Got the Shakes
Rjcc Rjcc
Grassy x Grassy x
BIGT468 BIGT468
Soundscream soundscream13
VRMN VRMaster
Sordid Sordid Sentinel
Palookah Pookah
TylerDurden4321 FFsReedRichards
drugstore_cowboy CoProxamolKid
Gek54 Russtic
J3ffro Starburns Lives
NakedRescue NakedRescue
Orca BigOilersFan
KeyboardThug The Beast 117
OnkelC OnkelZee
Evo X WRC Evo X
RoKKeR RoKKeR IV
P3tRaN P3tRaN (banned)
B1G_A1AN B1G A1AN
Zorbsie ZORBS
TBiddy XorpiZ
Stevey Original Bstard
T.O.P KI Heisenberg
DivineRage002 DivineRage002
tearsintherain spronk

What do you guys think are the chances that they add new tracks to the game?

Also, is there any word of forthcoming updates to add weather/night to the existing tracks?

Just curious.

I think every single Forza Motorsport game since like 2 has had track DLC. The question is not if, but when and what. I am still holding out desperate hope for Kaido. And Kaido in the rain and at night. Jesus christ, I want that so bad.

SarBear

Goddam, I cannot wait until Thurs now! Anyone want to get some ForzaGAF people together on Friday night for some races?

I think every single Forza Motorsport game since like 2 has had track DLC. The question is not if, but when and what. I am still holding out desperate hope for Kaido. And Kaido in the rain and at night. Jesus christ, I want that so bad.

I took the whole day off Thursday ( I thought I had to work, but look at me thinking in advance (whenever the game went on sale some months ago)), so I'm ready! I won't be back until Wednesday, tho! :(

I took the whole day off Thursday ( I thought I had to work, but look at me thinking in advance (whenever the game went on sale some months ago)), so I'm ready! I won't be back until Wednesday, tho! :(

Yup, I have Thurs off of work too. Plan to stay up stupidly late on Wed night to play after it unlocks and spend all day Thursday on it.

Please add me to the list. Gamertag is Gaschman

Add me to that list!

GT is Azzawon, same as my forum name :)

If you guys want to add yourselves to the list, check out this post for information.

MouldyK

My 60 FPS video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmcGzaQ9dY4

Please check it out. :)

Also, I have tons of videogame sprite decals available on the store and on the way - you can see a few of them in the livery discussion portion of the video.

I loved your review!

The way you explained how you ain't that good at racers, but you still had fun with assists is like me.

Adding ForzaGAF! I'm Mouldy Krayon...or MouldyK when Xbox Live decides to change it for me.

bumpkin

My Review Link

I rated it a Buy. Easily the most fun Forza I have played yet and I have played every single one.
Cool review, man. Thanks for sharing. Your review plus my experience with the demo has me at least moderately interested in picking the game up. I've never played any of the Forza games before and only spent a small amount of time between Gran Turismo 1, 2 and 3. I always had more fun with arcade racers like Ridge Racer, Daytona and Sega Rally. Still, I'm quite intrigued by what FM6 has to offer.

Revas

I am so ready.

COWvcEeU8AEEDHS.jpg

More pics please.

OrangeOak

Is it really that hard to give an option to remove drivers hands?
Lack of some small things like this are really annoying for me.

Top Bottom