• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do many Wii exclusive titles make full use of it's functionality?

Chemo

None, outside of No More Heroes and Zack & Wiki, as far as I've seen.

For all the shit it catches, the Wii is capable of really unique experiences, but sadly there are very few great ones actually available. Which is too bad, because NMH is my game of the generation thus far.

McNum

DarknessTear said:
I got a Wii a week ago, and I have a bunch of games. The one that stands out the most, of course, is Super Mario Galaxy. It's a great game, as you all know, but it also makes use of the Wii remote through the whole game in different ways. I felt like I was a kid again playing this game, and it's just amazing.. but after getting all the stars on my first playthrough, I of course had to move on.

Do you mean "getting all 120 stars", or "getting all 120 stars and beating Bowser again"? If you haven't done the latter, you might want to look into that. You're not quite done yet. The coming spoiler tag is quite spoiler-ish, don't highlight it if you haven't rematched Bowser at 120 stars. If you mean getting all
stars, then yeah, you're done.

obaidr

Banned
i hope capcom will release zack and wiki for the PS3 next year with Wand. I would love to play that game but dont want to waste my money on a Wii.

Balb

I think the Wii Remote speakers need to be used more in games in general. NMH had a cool use for it, and I know Silent Hill is going to, but I'd like to see more.

AniHawk

Chemo said:
None, outside of No More Heroes and Zack & Wiki, as far as I've seen.

For all the shit it catches, the Wii is capable of really unique experiences, but sadly there are very few great ones actually available. Which is too bad, because NMH is my game of the generation thus far.

There's not a whole lot in NMH. Twilight Princess has just slightly less functionality. Well, more actually, if you don't count the non-action game stuff (I don't remember any pointer-control jobs in NMH).

MadWorld makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
NyxQuest makes better use of the wii remote than NMH
LostWinds makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
Metroid Prime 3 makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
Boom Blox makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
RE4 makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
RE4:Wii Edition makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.

and so forth.

No More Heroes isn't a very good game (every single one I've listed above is far better), and it's certainly not something that could be unique to the system. Samurai Champloo was very similar in a lot of ways, and NMH didn't even start as a Wii game.

Durante

The only 3rd party game I've played that makes really good use of the non-pointer functionality of the standard Wiimote is Kororinpa. Best ball-rolling game ever.

AniHawk

Durante said:
The only 3rd party game I've played that makes really good use of the non-pointer functionality of the standard Wiimote is Kororinpa. Best ball-rolling game ever.

I bought the second one and had to sell it because there were too many menus, the game itself was kinda boring, and the tilt controls were extremely sensitive. Is it any better in the first game?

CTLance

Durante said:
If you say Kororinpa, I have to add Mercury Meltdown Revolution. Ballrolling games are perfect for Wii.

DarknessTear said:
Are there any other GOOD games that make good use of the Wii remote?

Very few qualify for both categories, which is really quite sad. The majority of Wii games that I really like make very little use of motion controls. Even good games that do have pretty liberal use of motion controls, most of them would be just as fun with a regular controller. No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, and Twilight Princess all would have been perfectly fine with a normal controller. Metroid Prime 3 and Boom Blox are the only good games I can think of where motion controls and IR actually made the experience better. Otherwise, I would just prefer to have a standard controller or a mouse. Motion controls have been a huge disappointment for me.

Durante

AniHawk said:
I bought the second one and had to sell it because there were too many menus, the game itself was kinda boring, and the tilt controls were extremely sensitive. Is it any better in the first game?
I never played the second one so I can't really answer that. In terms of menus the first one has a simple stage selection and that's it. I thought the controls were just perfect.

Polari

Elebits, Kororinpa and ExciteTruck all use the remote fantastically and can probably be picked up very cheap.

Tab0203

DarknessTear said:
I got a Wii a week ago, and I have a bunch of games. The one that stands out the most, of course, is Super Mario Galaxy. It's a great game, as you all know, but it also makes use of the Wii remote through the whole game in different ways. ... Are there any other GOOD games that make good use of the Wii remote? ...
Depends on what functionality you prefer. Pointer (IR sensor), tilt and motion (accelerometer) or motion+ (gyroscope). With or w/o nunchuk? What genre?

I like the following:

Wii Remote (w/o nunchuk):

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2D platformer (motion, tilt)
- Wii Sports - sports (motion)
- Wii Sports Resort - sports (motion+)
- Tiger Woods 10 - sports/golf (motion+)
- Grand Slam Tennis - sports (motion+)
- Endless Ocean - diving sim (pointer, motion)
- Endless Ocean 2 - diving sim (pointer)
- Boom Blox 1&2 physics puzzle (pointer, motion)
- Excite Truck 1&2 - arcade racer (tilt)
- World of Goo - physics puzzle (pointer, dual wielding)
- Zak & Wiki - point & click puzzle (pointer, tilt, motion)
- Wario Ware - puzzle (pointer, motion, tilt)
- Bonsai Barber - ? (pointer, tilt)
- Bit.Trip Beat - rhythm (tilt)
- Kororinpa 1&2 - roll (tilt)
- Mercury Meltdown Revolution - roll puzzle (tilt)
- Wii Play shooting range - (pointer)
- Light gun games (pointer)

Remote + nunchuk:

- Mario Galaxy 1&2 - 3D(2D) platformer (pointer, tilt, motion)
- Metroid Prime 1-3 - FPS/FPA (pointer, tilt, motion)
- Call of Duty: World at War - FPS (pointer)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare FPS
- Resident Evil 4 Wii - 3rd person shooter, hybrid analog stick camera + pointer w/o bounding box (pointer, motion)
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 3rd person adventure w/ bounding box (pointer, tilt, motion)
- Bully - 3rd person sandbox w/ bounding box (pointer, motion)
- Zelda Twilight Princess - 3rd person adventure w/ vertical bounding box (pointer, motion)
- Pikmin 1&2 - RTS (pointer)
- No More Heroes 1&2 - Beat'em up (motion, tilt)
- Sin and Punishment 2 - "rail" shooter (pointer)
- Elebits - FPS/puzzle (pointer, tilt)
- Grand Slam Tennis - sports (motion+)
- Trauma Center - surgery puzzle (pointer, tilt)
- Deadly Creatures - atmosphere (pointer, motion)
- Battalion Wars 2 - RTS (pointer)
- Wii Music - rhythm (motion)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 - football (pointer, motion)
- Mario Strikers Charged - arcade football (pointer, motion)
- Lostwinds 1&2 - 2D platformer (pointer)
- NyxQuest - 2D platformer (pointer)
- Max and the Magic Marker - 2D physics puzzle (pointer)

Remote, remote + nunchuk, classic:

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mario Kart Wii
- Sky Crawlers
- Monster Hunter 3

Boom Blox, Wii Play, MP3 and Elebits use the 'distance to screen' function.

Most of the games have different pointer sensitivity (deadzone) ranging from very sensitive/zero lag: Elebits, Pikmin 1&2 (detects your pulse), to extremely laggy: Twilight Princess/Link's Crossbow Training. RE4 Wii changes pointer sensitivity depending on which gun you're using.

Then there's accelerator sensitivity:

Motion: Mario Galaxy spin (sensitive, easy to pull off) vs. Endless Ocean 180 turn (flick requires more strength)

Tilt: Kororinpa (lag free, no deadzone) vs. Monkey Ball (deadzone, lag)

It's also worth mentioning that none of these games (exception: most sports games, 50 consecutive Boom Blox power throws) are more exhausting because of Wii controls. The opposite is true. Split controller design: relax/stretch while gaming. One-handed controls: drink, eat or smoke while gaming. IR pointer: Very little hand movement, comfort (resting on your couch/leg/lap), speed and precision. I love it. Even the crappy speaker is immersive at times. Radio conversations, Silent Hill phone calls, racket/ball noise in sports games, RE4 reloading sounds, etc.

Of course, there is room for improvement. Nunchuk with built in rumble/IR sensor/vitality sensor, higher quality speaker, remote design, button placement, etc.

*edit* added Silent Hill, Max and the Magic Marker, NSMB Wii, No More Heroes 1&2, Call of Duty 4, Sin and Punishment 2, Galaxy 2

kinggroin

Banned
Madworld (fun, if a little gimmicky motion attacks)
No More Heroes (limited, but great use of the motion sensing for finishers and recharging your sword)
Godfather (BEST use of the motion sensing for attacks)
Kororinpa/Marble Saga (full use of the accelerometers for stage tilting and problem solving)
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party or the first game (unique use of the wiimote for minigames)
Ghost Squad (Highly responsive fast paced IR controlled "light gun" game)
Elebits (Great use of the wiimote's IR AND accelerometers for environment interaction)

There's more, but I'm sure others have mentioned them

So many good games recommended here!

I love excite truck, some people find it confusing but I LOVE the control scheme.

Trauma Center games are aewsome, Wack & Ziki are great too.

There's only one good FPS in the system which is Metroid Prime 3. I liked Elebits but it's not exactly FPS. The other are average to crap, but the on-rails shooter genre makes good use of the wii-mote and have great games. I recommend Dead Space Extraction, The house of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns and RE:UC. Don't buy THOD: Overkill, it's a terrible game.

MidnightScott said:
I'm gonna have to disagree. Marble Saga Kororinpa is the worst Wii game I've played and owned. Seriously, how did they manage to fuck up the controls so much?
The controls are really bad if you're using one of the slow marbles, but the faster marbles control about as well as the marbles from the original Kororinpa. Here's an easy way to avoid the early control issues:
1) Select ??? in the options menu
2) Click the right lamp, then the left lamp twice, then the right lamp again to open the cheat menu
3) Select TV, Car, Sunflower, Bike, Helicopter, Strawberry to unlock the Figure Roller
4) Highlight the Figure Roller on the marble select screen and press 1 to edit its stats. Set the response, speed and slide to maximum and bounce to minimum.
5) Enjoy one of the best games ever made!
Alternatively, you can also unlock the figure roller by completing the game on normal mode.

Chemo

AniHawk said:
There's not a whole lot in NMH. Twilight Princess has just slightly less functionality. Well, more actually, if you don't count the non-action game stuff (I don't remember any pointer-control jobs in NMH).

MadWorld makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
NyxQuest makes better use of the wii remote than NMH
LostWinds makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
Metroid Prime 3 makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
Boom Blox makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
RE4 makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.
RE4:Wii Edition makes better use of the wii remote than NMH.

and so forth.

No More Heroes isn't a very good game (every single one I've listed above is far better), and it's certainly not something that could be unique to the system. Samurai Champloo was very similar in a lot of ways, and NMH didn't even start as a Wii game.
I dunno, NMH uses just about every Wii specific thing outside of the pointer (to the extent that you even have to hold the remote up to your ear like a cell phone in the pre-boss Sylvia talks -- this is, hands down, the absolute best use of the remote's speaker on the entire console). More than that, it not only uses motion control and the speaker, but incorporates all of them with traditional control simultaneously.

I disagree about it not being a good game, too. Easily my favorite game of that year.

DarknessTear said:
Dragon Quest Swords can die in a fire. It does a horrible job at recognizing the movements you make.

If there was ever a game that could have benefited from Motion Plus, it's DQS. The game itself was fine: visuals, story, the gameplay itself, I really enjoyed it...but it did get a bit grating having to deal with those controls.

That said, it got easier. It took a while to get accustomed to what the game responded best to (very subtle movements, clean directional movements), and once I did, it was much easier to play - but still not where it should have been. I don't think I ever got the jab to work as intended, in this or any other game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn makes fantastic use of an otherwise completely overlooked feature of Wii Controls.

One handed RPG controls. Fantastic.

Osuwari

Nuclear Muffin said:
The only actual motion based controls in the game are the spring ball jump and the nunchuck grapple beam and they both work very well!

Anyway, Mario Kart Wii and Excitebots' Wii Wheel controls kick arse! (That and they're both great games! :D)

even if that was the full extent of the motion controls, the spring ball would act weird sometimes and the grapple stuff completely sucks dick. same with the twist the lever/raise and lower the remote shit.
i'm glad they didn't add that shit to mp1 and mp2. spring ball was the best and only thing they could carry over fine.

i don't like the steering controls of MKW because they don't feel as responsive as the stick.

Top Bottom