• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyx

Prison School 194

So many things happening all at once. I bet that pole with a net will be a catalyst for something incredible..

Nisekoi 190
Rejecting her publicly like that just sucks for Marika. All her effort put to waste by this useless MC.. but now we have lesser candidates for the main girl. Onodera'll probably be next the one off the list.

Fuuka
Seo doing his usual routine again. I think I should stop following this manga and wait for it to end.

You ready for something sacrilegious?

Hokuto no Ken 101

Eh. I don't like it. Maybe it's because the series seems like a parody of itself after 3 decades of parodies, maybe it's because none of the fights really have any stakes because Hokuto Shinken is invincible and I don't really care about any of the characters. maybe it's because everyone Kenshiro fights isn't a strong villain aside from "they are a huge dick." The story doesn't flow naturally at all, probably because of the commercial success, so nothing really feels like it was ever planned out. Roah is the super duper strongest except WAIT there is also a guy named Souther who is equal who was not mentioned because he was only thought up 2 chapters ago. I don't know. I can appreciate the groundwork being laid here but everything seems to have been vastly, vastly improved by future series like Dragon Ball, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter x Hunter.

So dropped.

Think I might try something by Umezu Kazuo next for Halloween? Sure, let's do that.

kinger256

Blood Alone 1-20

Qyytewv.jpg

Fairly run of the mill vampire hunter story, but with the added twist of a loli/shota harem.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
You ready for something sacrilegious?

Hokuto no Ken 101

Eh. I don't like it. Maybe it's because the series seems like a parody of itself after 3 decades of parodies, maybe it's because none of the fights really have any stakes because Hokuto Shinken is invincible and I don't really care about any of the characters. maybe it's because everyone Kenshiro fights isn't a strong villain aside from "they are a huge dick." The story doesn't flow naturally at all, probably because of the commercial success, so nothing really feels like it was ever planned out. Roah is the super duper strongest except WAIT there is also a guy named Souther who is equal who was not mentioned because he was only thought up 2 chapters ago. I don't know. I can appreciate the groundwork being laid here but everything seems to have been vastly, vastly improved by future series like Dragon Ball, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter x Hunter.

So dropped.

Think I might try something by Umezu Kazuo next for Halloween? Sure, let's do that.

It pretty much supposed to end after raoh fight, so dropping after that point is understandable

Shouta

AKB 49 251 (Raw)

This chapter. THIS CHAPTER. Ahhhhhhh.

I want to read what happens next. Why do I have to wait until next week!?

Turok_TTZ

UQ Holder! 98

Akamatsu, you're in fantastic form.

Lovimg Mizore, too bad nothing stops this Springfield Train. Dem inherent ladykilling too strong.

Kek at Kuroumaru, tripping interruption flags.

I'm getting the names mixed up I'm thinking of Motoko. Motoko, Setsuna (Negima) and Kuromaru are all similar looking girls from the Shinmei-ryū sword fighting school.

(Otohime was the childhood friend in Love Hina)

I mean Setsuna was never even a serious contender for Negi, heck she never even showed that much interest in him romatically, she was all about Konoha which was basically confirmed canon in the end.

1000 years too late

I dunno they are still immortals plenty of time for Touta to get her to admit her feelings for him. She's far ahead of everyone else at this point.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kimi Shi ni Tamou Koto Nakare 7-9
A rotten guy to its very core, killing and manipulating people at will just because he feel like it, and this dude is the main character. Except when it come to Mahiru, he really over protective of her. So basically, male yandere

Stulaw

One Punch Man ONE 103.2

Tatsumaki's totally going to fall for and go Yandere for Saitama.

Princess Lucia 36-38

An unfortunate rushed ending to the best manga Seo has created, I'm guessing it was cancelled. Lucia's mum (Lucifer) was hot.

The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children

Uh, I've seen before this cover. And I read before the first chapter! So for a moment I thought I already read this volume, but no, it was only the first chapter. Maybe I did it when the translation was starting and only the first one was out.

It's by the author of Terrarium in the Drawer (or the already more known Dungeon Meshi, so it's an up and coming author!). It's a short story volume that moves around heart-warming stories, mostly. Some of them with romance, other of a boy helping a siren, or the relationship between mother and son. This author has a very interesting qualities in her writing, it's kind of an amusing flair or quirky style, and all stories have an important fantasy element on them, but in truth her stories feel very... natural, a down-to-earth feel good style of writing, with a honest, straightforward style in the narration.
There is a good variety of stories, in fact, from the three already mentioned to artists who can make drawing alive to a family where everyone have superpowers, to a world where being a werewolf is a known and problematic condition (that reminded me a bit to Wolf Chilren, in fact it has a similar tone).

The author also shows a good handling of several art styles. She uses a more detailed one for her story of medieval fantasy, a more simple and kind one for one of a girl taking care of a fish god, and she imitates a bit the Japanese feudal style for a story set in that time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean Setsuna was never even a serious contender for Negi, heck she never even showed that much interest in him romatically, she was all about Konoha which was basically confirmed canon in the end.

I dunno they are still immortals plenty of time for Touta to get her to admit her feelings for him. She's far ahead of everyone else at this point.
Suggesting there is a person who doesn't want Negi.

Impossible.

(Actually I sort of assumed Setsuna and Kuromaru were the same race but now that I think about it I have no clue. )

Shengar

Yes it is. It's not enough for someone to go yeah, we'll make this. Nope, close up shot, and Taiyo goes 'i need to change some of its specification' with smug face. Also, Taiyo keep changing his hairstyle depending on the mood and his situation.
It got tiring and old pretty fast. The thing with depicting a story out of a creative industry, it should involved passion and dream within it unless you go for the realistic route. There are certain degree of realism of realistic situation where people in the industry face hardship that may have caused many to lose their passion within the field, but it can't forgot that there are fun and dreams to be had. You don't have to be ultra hyperbolic like Comic Bomber. It can be fairly light in tone like earlier part of Bakuman or even better, Shirobako. Giga Tokyo Toy Box on the other hand seems want to focus more on the realistic side, only it had to be hindered by the gratuitous amount of drama and tense moment, which actually makes it feel unrealistic.
The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children

Uh, I've seen before this cover. And I read before the first chapter! So for a moment I thought I already read this volume, but no, it was only the first chapter. Maybe I did it when the translation was starting and only the first one was out.

It's by the author of Terrarium in the Drawer (or the already more known Dungeon Meshi, so it's an up and coming author!). It's a short story volume that moves around heart-warming stories, mostly. Some of them with romance, other of a boy helping a siren, or the relationship between mother and son. This author has a very interesting qualities in her writing, it's kind of an amusing flair or quirky style, and all stories have an important fantasy element on them, but in truth her stories feel very... natural, a down-to-earth feel good style of writing, with a honest, straightforward style in the narration.
There is a good variety of stories, in fact, from the three already mentioned to artists who can make drawing alive to a family where everyone have superpowers, to a world where being a werewolf is a known and problematic condition (that reminded me a bit to Wolf Chilren, in fact it has a similar tone).

The author also shows a good handling of several art styles. He uses a more detailed one for his story of medieval fantasy, a more simple and kind one for one of a girl taking care of a fish god, and he imitates a bit the Japanase feudal style for a story set in that time.
I thought judging by the name (Kui Ryoko) the author is female.
Regardless, I should read her other work soon.

Flying Witch 5
But I thought their mother was dead
Maybe I misread it somewhere

Shengar

I wasn't sure, though I also would be in her being a woman. In fact I say "her" a few times in there, but one "he" got away.

Yeah just realized you refer her as "she". Only your later paragraph use "he" and "his", and that really stands out to me.
Her name use the child or ko kanji which most of the time used for female. Doubtful is she turned out to be male.

Zweizer

Banned
Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil by Umezu Kazuo

The chronicles of a young boy named Sou and the various horrors he encounters along with the rest of his family.

gONNfNl.jpg

Not pictured: the girl who just vomited this skull out.

The story as a whole doesn't make much of sense, and is pretty much an excuse to chain swerve after swerve as well as a rather wide range of pretty classic horror themes, and the characters themselves are all pretty unlikable walking clichés, but both of these aspects are just auxiliary to the main core of this manga, which is that of unbridled grostesque and macabre, and the author isn't afraid to show the various unpleasantnesses that befall the characters, and as such, the manga works very well at inciting fear and disgust from its readers.

Still...

Little kids are terrifying.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dungeon Meshi 16
About time Laius kept his curiosity in check. I mean, eating a big ass raw parasite? Not sure if stupid or brave or both.
Chilchack and Marsilla face during Laius struggle are precious. LMAO.
I'm surprised Laius never try octopus or squid.

Shouta

The thing I don't understand...has she completely forgotten how he took out Garou? I mean has she forgotten how strong he is?

Tatsumaki was injured in the fight previously and couldn't bring out her powers. She probably is still underestimating Saitama because she's that arrogant. lol.

Tatsumaki was injured in the fight previously and couldn't bring out her powers. She probably is still underestimating Saitama because she's that arrogant. lol.

Sure she was injured, but she was also being arrogant as per usual. And she got beaten. But yeah, she was out for the count when Saitama beat Garou anyway. Still, he has tried to attack her at all so far, nor will he likely. I hope he still gets to show her his real power in the next chapter though. I mean she has been kind of throwing him about, even though she has caused him literally zero damage.

Shouta

Sure she was injured, but she was also being arrogant as per usual. And she got beaten. But yeah, she was out for the count when Saitama beat Garou anyway. Still, he has tried to attack her at all so far, nor will he likely. I hope he still gets to show her his real power in the next chapter though. I mean she has been kind of throwing him about, even though she has caused him literally zero damage.

I don't think she was totally out cold when Saitama beat Garou but I'd need to go back and check. She definitely was powerless though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Seo. Gonna laugh if Fuuka takes her promise not to fuck Yuu seriously given she's known Koyuki for like an hour.

Koyuki needs to give it up, anyways, she got rejected a shitload of times already.

bobohoro

Mahou Sensei Negima! 111

It's three o'clock in the morning in the morning and I can't stop reading. Tournament arc is soooo good. Just the right combination of well founded power levels, escalating battles and a whole lot of mystery and foreshadowing.

But now I really need some sleep.

At least One Punch Man is already starting to rise due to the anime
41. *18,941 *,863,051 One Punch-Man Vol.1
47. *17,933 *,795,979 One Punch-Man Vol.2
50. *16,813 *,742,529 One Punch-Man Vol.3
42. *18,918 *,567,609 One Punch-Man Vol.9

Maybe it can keep it up and hit 1mln.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom