• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

One Piece

JZMiuww.png

Wow, guess the Mink tribe is serious business. I can't actually recall if Zoro has been forced to block like that since post-timeskip, immediately switched to two swords as well. Overall fun chapter, seems we're going to get right into the nitty-gritty since the other half has been here for a while.

Also +1 for Bepo being part of the tribe. Would make sense with how they could get there in the first place.

Shokugeki spoilers!

The entire chapter is Eizan smugface.

Short version: Eizan says he's shutting down PSD. Soma asks if he's allowed to shokugeki his way to keeping it open. Eizan says that Central has agreed to allow any organization to do it, but the stakes are extra high (keeping the organization bet against expulsion of the participant). Skewer guy fights Eizan and gets expelled because Eizan straight up cheats and rigged the judging.

He violated the "sanctity" of a Shokugeki!
Well, that's it, he is the big bad villain of the series, that's the worst you can do in a series called "Shokugeki no Soma", lol.

Shokugeki spoilers!

Short version: Eizan says he's shutting down PSD. Soma asks if he's allowed to shokugeki his way to keeping it open. Eizan says that Central has agreed to allow any organization to do it, but the stakes are extra high (keeping the organization bet against expulsion of the participant). Skewer guy fights Eizan and gets expelled because Eizan straight up cheats and rigged the judging.

This guy is a nasty little imp. Its pretty obvious he is going to get beaten by Soma next.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This guy is a nasty little imp. Its pretty obvious he is going to get beaten by Soma next.

My mass guess is that Soma isn't going to do the challenge and instead Erina will do it. It's basically her character arc and she has to stay "better" than Soma.

somedevil

Shokugeki spoilers!

Love how the last page is basically this
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I expect she would crush him though...

I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. If their goal was really to save the dorm, you think they'd have either Isshiki or Erina take the challenge given they are demonstrably superior to Soma. Although, I suppose it might be impossible given she's in hiding.

Angry Grimace

To reiterate what I said in the anime thread, there's no way Boku no Hero is going to get a full adaptation regardless so its not a big deal if they go for the anime now.

To reiterate what I said in the anime thread, there's no way Boku no Hero is going to get a full adaptation regardless so its not a big deal if they go for the anime now.

Is this a pessimistic statement due to most shonen jump series not getting full anime adaptations anymore for one reason or another?

Angry Grimace

Is this a pessimistic statement due to most shonen jump series not getting full anime adaptations anymore for one reason or another?

Basically. The only ones in recent years that have are Naruto, One Piece. HxH would count if the manga had actually finished before Togashi died.

Basically. The only ones in recent years that have are Naruto, One Piece. HxH would count if the manga had actually finished before Togashi died.

Yeah though we still do get seasons for things like Gintama and I imagine Nisekoi will likely get a 3rd season to finish adapting the manga in a year or two considering how close that is to ending. Its really hard to say either way especially now with stuff like HxH and JJBA getting "full adaptations" years later.

Angry Grimace

Yeah though we still do get seasons for things like Gintama and I imagine Nisekoi will likely get a 3rd season to finish adapting the manga in a year or two considering how close that is to ending. Its really hard to say either way especially now with stuff like HxH and JJBA getting "full adaptations" years later.

Sure but the "early" stuff didn't end up making a difference on those.

The thing is, you have to look at it in a more cynical way to understand it: the time to adapt a manga to anime is not when it's finished, but precisely when it's ongoing and it's starting to be popular. Because they are doing the anime in the first place as a marketing tool for the manga. It would be a bit pointless if the manga is closed already, they could have a bump in the back catalog sales, but it's better when it's ongoing.

Grexeno

One Piece

JZMiuww.png

Wow, guess the Mink tribe is serious business. I can't actually recall if Zoro has been forced to block like that since post-timeskip, immediately switched to two swords as well. Overall fun chapter, seems we're going to get right into the nitty-gritty since the other half has been here for a while.

Also +1 for Bepo being part of the tribe. Would make sense with how they could get there in the first place.
Carrot for next Straw Hat

Big One

Banned
One Piece 804 B

Pretty damn good chapter this week again. Carrot looks cool and the Ryonosuke thing was hilarious (i'm actually looking forward to TOEI doing an entire episode around that scene, lol).

It's pretty obvious by the destruction that these intruders are probably Weevil and his mom. It's the same type of destruction we've seen already with him.

Carrot looks pretty cool as well.

Arc giving me Skypeia vibes with architecture reminding me of Babylon.

Bleach 648 D

Zzzzz...please get this arc done with. These "fights" are getting duller and duller. Kubo is the master at artificially extending his series for no reason other than making money by filling your manga with 95% of random fights with various characters.

Toriko 344 C

We were at end game...now we're backtracking a bit? This manga needs to make up it's mind! Maybe it'll be another year or so till this finishes perhaps. Either way solid chapter and it's nice to see a bit of "God" as well.

Huh, might give it a try. Though I can't say that what little i've seen of chara designs and art excites me much.

Hoshino Katsura is a top tier artist, the only reason her art degraded later on in the series was because of her chronic wrist injury. However, her art currently has gotten a lot better because she isn't as stressed as she was when she had a weekly and monthly schedule.

She's a pretty detailed artist and one of my favorite Shonen Jump artist.

Angry Grimace

The thing is, you have to look at it in a more cynical way to understand it: the time to adapt a manga to anime is not when it's finished, but precisely when it's ongoing and it's starting to be popular. Because they are doing the anime in the first place as a marketing tool for the manga. It would be a bit pointless if the manga is closed already, they could have a bump in the back catalog sales, but it's better when it's ongoing.

That's kind of what I'm saying: it doesn't matter and it will never finish, so I wouldn't be all that concerned about an early adaptation.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, still waitin for the Ruroni Kenshin readaptation to finish the manga story that seems like it'd be an easy and prime candidate for it.

The common thread in the series that got re-adaptations and such were that they sold ridiculous numbers. I don't really know how Boku no Hero is doing, but I don't think its quite that kind of number yet. Something like Attack on Titan is pretty much guaranteed to have every single part adapted even if Isayama took another 5 years on it.

I dunno if I missed it here but apparently Isobe Isobee Monogatari is getting an anime? What the heck is it even about I don't think anyone here is reading it unless I'm super blind.

Jump Issue 48 Rankings

Isobe Isobee Monogatari (Cover and Lead CP)
1.One Piece
2.My Hero Academia
3.Assassination Classroom
4.Shokugeki no Souma
5.Black Clover
Samon-kun the Summoner
Takuan to Batsu no Nichijou Enma-chou (One Shot, 47 pages)
6.The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki
Haikyuu!! (CP)
7.Gintama
8.Hinomaru Zumou
9.Kochikame
10.Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
Mononofu (CP)
11.Toriko
12.Nisekoi
13.World Trigger
14.Bleach
15.Kagamigami
16.Best Blue

The common thread in the series that got re-adaptations and such were that they sold ridiculous numbers. I don't really know how Boku no Hero is doing, but I don't think its quite that kind of number yet. Something like Attack on Titan is pretty much guaranteed to have every single part adapted even if Isayama took another 5 years on it.

I wonder if they would do another remake of HxH, continue from where they left off, do both, or just not even return to it ever.

Zephyx

One Piece 804

That dragon doing work. And we're off.

Nisekoi 191

Someone will get shot next chapter. I didn't see the gun in the first page being used.

Zephyx

Tomo chan Wa Onnanoko 1-183

Read this for 20 minutes or so. Added to my watch list. Pretty nice to have a one page manga to read when you want something quick.

Kyou no Yuiko San 38

Sweet.. :)

Onodera gets shot and dies, setting up a scenario where Raku has to end up with Chitoge

Nah, I think Raku's the one getting shot in this one. Or maybe Marika. Or her dad. But I'd laugh hard if that ever happened.

Jump Issue 48 Rankings

Isobe Isobee Monogatari (Cover and Lead CP)
1.One Piece
2.My Hero Academia
3.Assassination Classroom
4.Shokugeki no Souma
5.Black Clover
Samon-kun the Summoner
Takuan to Batsu no Nichijou Enma-chou (One Shot, 47 pages)
6.The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki
Haikyuu!! (CP)
7.Gintama
8.Hinomaru Zumou
9.Kochikame
10.Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
Mononofu (CP)
11.Toriko
12.Nisekoi
13.World Trigger
14.Bleach
15.Kagamigami