• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

Interesting that Spector actually does point out that the game gets much "darker and twisted" at times than what they're showing today.

There's also this tidbit from the 1UP preview:

Spector starts his session with a quick video that seems taken right from the beginning of the game. Mickey peacefully sleeps in his own bed when he's suddenly whisked away to the Forgotten Wasteland. I can't verify for certain, but the way the mysterious villain appears out of nowhere, and said villain's utter lack of a distinct shape or structure, suggests that Phantom Blot is the fellow who grabs Mickey. The Blot drops Mickey onto an operating table of sorts, and starts performing a twisted, animated autopsy; Mickey frees himself in the nick of time from being carved apart by a cartoon buzzsaw, and that's where the game proper seems to begin.
When the Phantom Blot listens to Mickey's heart during the autopsy/examination, Spector slyly notes, "hearts are important, but I won't say why."

legend166 said:
People need to learn to give some games the benefit of the doubt based on their developers and the project itself.

If this was an Activision or Ubisoft game, I'd say go right ahead and hate on it. Chances are it would never get better, and infact would probably end up looking worse because these would be bullshots.
But what about Junction Point, the people who're actually making the game? What amazing games have they worked on so far? Even though Spector is in charge of the whole thing, he can't really do everything himself. Personally, I'd be more optimistic about the game if they weren't such a blank slate.

Sadist

magicalsoundshower said:
But what about Junction Point, the people who're actually making the game? What amazing games have they worked on so far? Even though Spector is in charge of the whole thing, he can't really do everything himself. Personally, I'd be more optimistic about the game if they weren't such a blank slate.
I'm thinking that Spector assembled a team which is capable of doing great things.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Based off of those direct feed screens alone, holy fu.....

wait, i dont want to get banned for posting my opinions since this is that thread.

All i'll say is the concept art showed promise.

That audio video was awesome. So much interesting things, I love the detail details he talks about in every screen.
He talks of the game being very beta, and to have patience. However that does not exist for GAF as I can see.

Jacobi

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
That audio video was awesome. So much interesting things, I love the detail details he talks about in every screen.
He talks of the game being very beta, and to have patience. However that does not exist for GAF as I can see.
He's been working on the game for years

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jacobi said:
He's been working on the game for years

From everything I've read, he's been working on the concept for years, but I don't think he's been actually developing the game for all that long.

GWX

Whoa, the audio video (whatever it's called) has some great stuff.
The concept, gameplay and story-wise, is SO awesome.

But yeah, please guys, don't forget lighting and better textures in the finished game :D

Captures from the video:

6tg4qw.jpg

25su1zt.jpg

1126ii8.jpg

2mmdaih.jpg

2rw6vyf.jpg

xlxocp.jpg

24zaluw.jpg

2chrlmh.jpg

iz47bq.jpg

jzxhlk.jpg

McNum

The audio walkthrough with images looks interesting. You can hear he's into making this an awesome game. I think they'll pull it off. The graphics aren't great, but they're not bad either. I really want to see this in motion, though. I really want to see what the animators have done for this game. It's Disney, if there's one thing they're great at, it's animation. Some games just don't screenshot well, I think Epic Mickey is one of them. Look at Super Mario Galaxy screenshots compared to the game in motion. I kind of expect the same to be true for Epic Mickey.

I'm keeping an eye on this. If they pull it off, it's going to be awesome. That and it's Warren Spector. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Judging by the whining in this thread it appears I may be the only one who still plays games for the fun they provide.

Have to say, the game does appear a lot more impressive when you know what's going on.

Not to say that those screens aren't bad, but it's useful for showing off gameplay elements.

batbeg

Those images look great. I think one thing that'll really help bring it to life is the lighting, of course, but also the sky. Once they have something in the sky hopefully it'll be much nicer.

Linkified

Right think I caught up and understand better whats going on:

(1)Gameplay sounds good.
(2)I feel Disney shouldn't of announced this game until they could at least have a trailer to acompany the information.
(3)As I understand it Disney created the idea in a think tank themselves? Doesn't that mean Spector really hadn't any input in the process for what characters etc. would be included in the game?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've realized why this mickey model looks creepy to me while old drawings of mickey don't: that whole white upper area of his face registers as eyeball. that's not supposed to be the case in old mickey designs, is it? his eyes are just the black spots, right? oh who cares

Uh, WTF
KH Birth By Sleep looks better than this! What is going on with Wii development?!

I'm still intrigued to see it in motion with gameplay or a trailer but they really picked some iffy screenshots for a reveal

Feep

Banned
Mashing said:
Okay, those direct feed captures look A LOT better. Just as anyone with a clue would know (SMG anyone?).
This. My god those initial shots were ugly, but these are much better.

drohne said:
i've realized why this mickey model looks creepy to me while old drawings of mickey don't: that whole white upper area of his face registers as eyeball. that's not supposed to be the case in old mickey designs, is it? his eyes are just the black spots, right? oh who cares

You're right I couldn't put my finger on it, either way I think it's looking great.

Can't wait

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game looks colorful and surreal.
The music we've heard so far is fantastic and strangely nostalgic.
I think it's a safe bet that the various stages and themes are going to be very distinct, aesthetically.
From the rough animation vids we've seen so far, this game is probably going to look flat-out STUPENDOUS in motion.
And they've got something like a year to go to polish the visuals.

I'm not even remotely concerned.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
EmCeeGramr said:
Captures from the video:

http://i38.tinypic.com/6tg4qw.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/25su1zt.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/1126ii8.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2mmdaih.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2rw6vyf.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/xlxocp.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/24zaluw.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/2chrlmh.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/iz47bq.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/jzxhlk.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
looks awesome to me

7Th

Some pretty weird and awkward design choices in there. It's kinda weird that even S-E's PS2 Kingdom Hearts games had more life and a better color palette than this.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thread:
243jbr9.jpg

McBacon said:
Hey NeoGarfield

So yeah, Epic Mickey.

Looks good! Definite tinge of Super Mario Galaxy, and a little Kingdom Hearts. The real time world changing stuff is really impressive, allowing you to destroy bits of the world and stuff.

Good / Evil dynamic sounds good, and fixes a lot of problems you have in games like inFamous and Fable - Mickey is always going to be a hero, so you don't have to worry about the dissonance of being the evilest guy in town but also saving the world.

You're simply deciding whether to be helpful and heroic, or selfish and impudent. The latter makes you stronger and gives you more tools to wreak havoc, but the former gives you more friends and allies.

It's very much a Spector game - which is a pretty big complement. Much like Deus Ex, you'll be given tonnes of different ways to solve puzzles. There's a spinning blade that Mickey needs to pass, and Big W says he can think of at least five different ones. Some are; stop watch to slow time, be helpful and a friend will stop it, find a secret entrance with destruction.

Everything is based on Disney concept art, Disneyland rides, scrapped concept art and whatnot. The game is super meta, self referential and breaks the fourth wall in a big way - the world is based on the fact that Disney is a packrat for unfinished cartoons and scrapped concept art, and Oswald is a resentful, bitter tike based on the Universal / Disney kerfuffel. (I don't know how to spell that - Firefox suggests Garfunkel)

Game is also far from finished - lighting is very early, so don't be too critical of the screens.

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Pretty intesting system there with the karma and how it affects the puzzle solving.

The storyboard-like cutscenes sound great too, I hope they'll look as good as I'm imagining.

Ah, now I remember. That weird dragon zeppelin carrying the classic steamboat is what Pete's using to terrorize that section of the Wasteland.

The portion of the GI article contrasting different playstyles gave examples of a "Scrapper" Mickey having a traditional boss fight where he grabs cannons around the arena to blow up the ship, while a "Hero" Mickey saves captured Gremlins who in their gratitude fly up to the zeppelin and tear it apart (as gremlins are wont to do to aircraft).

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
drohne said:

sonics-eye-infection.gif

Top Bottom