• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

batbeg

SirPenguin said:
Right, exactly, which is why so many people have been and will continue to bring up the old artwork in relation to what we have now. It's impossible not to given the first concept art perfectly match the direction they seemingly want to take it...and this latest one does not.

More importantly, though, is that this conversation is even occurring. It's distracting to the game itself. I've stated repeatedly how interesting the game sounds, but god damn if I can't stop shaking my head at these shots. Not only doesn't it scream "I'M EPIC!", it barely whimpers "I'm acceptable"

How did the steampunk direction look anything like the integral paint and thinner mechanic, or for that matter as a way of taking it back to its roots? It looked badass, sure, but nothing Spector has said in his talking about the game has made me feel like the steampunk artwork would have been a good direction.

The actual artwork for the game, though? Seems absolutely relevant:

epic-mickey-20091028111314952_640w.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111304999_640w.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111341091.jpg

Don't get me wrong; I loved the art that we first got. But it made no fucking sense to me as a Mickey Mouse theme, and even less so for the themes or reinvigorating Mickey with his classic spirit. It seemed like a first pitch from an artist to Spector. Spector just said "Hey, make something badass!" and this guy did it. He made something truly badass. But when it came to designing the game...

lol @ people shitting all over this game after it didin't live up to concept art that even "Next-Gen" systems could.

People need to look at this game for what it is:

A COMPLETELY different experience that one would hope for, in a good way.

A FUCKING WARREN SPECTOR GAME.

Disney taking a completely HUGE risk with this and I for one respect them for it.

And finally, YOU HAVEN'T FUCKING SEEN THE GAME IN MOTION. All you have seen are over-sized screen shots of ONE if not TWO areas of the game. Fucking just wait for a movie before shitting all over it.

Either way, I will be getting this game for the experience/story alone, no matter how it looks.

This thread is the epitome of what next-gen graphics have done to gamers now, turning most of them into graphic whores.

Scrow said:
:lol The SAME comic came to mind when I read that too.

I have to say I have the same dilemma. Before I always saw Classic Mickey as having two small beady eyes, now it looks like he's got these huge Felix the Cat like eyes that are too close together.

It confuses me :(

StormyTheRabbit said:
lol @ people shitting all over this game after it didin't live up to concept art that even "Next-Gen" systems could.

Disney taking a completely HUGE risk with this and I for one respect them for it.

And finally, YOU HAVEN'T FUCKING SEEN THE GAME IN MOTION. All you have seen are over-sized screen shots of ONE if not TWO areas of the game. Fucking just wait for a movie before shitting all over it.

Either way, I will be getting this game for the experience/story alone, no matter how it looks.

This thread is the epitome of what next-gen graphics have done to gamers now, turning most of them into graphic whores.

Once the trailer comes out, they'll still bitch and whine about it :(

StormyTheRabbit said:

Tread lightly little bunny.

Not too sure they'd appreciate reverse trolling either.

Before I even start, I want to separate myself from the haters. I'm not a graphics whore, I don't need HD video, I own a Wii, and I think it can make beautiful visuals.

That said, the colors used here are GARISH. Neon purple, pink, blue, green all mashed together with no sense of color design... It just looks bad. Maybe as an artist I'm more sensitive to this sort of thing, but... Bleck. This looks like just another ugly licensed game. Like that Disney skateboarding game last gen.

Now, it could be brilliant and fun and even still dark and twisted. But sorry, I can't play a game this garishly designed. It has nothing to do with the Wii's horsepower or the fact I saw the early rejected concept art. But I know for a fact if I never saw the old concept art, I'd have taken one look at one of the screenshots and thought "Eesh. Another eye-hurtingly colored Disney game. I don't know why the Wii fans are so excited about this."

But I did see the early designs, and THOSE had good use of color theory and got me excited. It's a clever original idea, and got my imagination pumping. And even if Disney rejected it as being too creepy, that's no excuse for this dayglow nightmare. Look at Wind Waker. Kid friendly AND well visually designed. You can have both.

Oh well. It could be awesome. But now, I'm skeptical. I would love to say I'm wrong, but urgh... This just looks awful visually.

At least I got some neat concept work out of this. That's more than I can say for most games.

Spike

7Th said:
I don't get why they decided to officially release extremely early screenshots that are supposed to look nothing like the final product.

How the hell could they release screenshots that look like the final product when there currently is no final product?

I mean, WTF is Spector supposed to do? Find a way to travel a year into the future to get screenshots of a finished game to show now?

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
stupid people making fun of this stupid game. what if the game came out and warren spector was dead from not eating because he didn't make any money from you buying the game? then you'd be sorry. you'd say, "oh no, why didn't we buy that game? why did we leave warren spector poor and destitute?"

and he'd be laughing. laughing from his grave at how stupid you were. "ah-ha-ha"

:lol

When Flanders Failed

7Th

Spike said:
How the hell could they release screenshots that look like the final product when there currently is no final product?

I mean, WTF is Spector supposed to do? Find a way to travel a year into the future to get screenshots of a finished game to show now?

Don't release anything until they have something that doesn't look shoddily put togheter?

Spike

BruceLeeRoy said:
Everything I have read about the game and Spectors vision for it sounds so fantastic. The very concept of Mickey and Oswald as a backdrop to the events happening in the game is just so damn cool. But man after the amazing concept art the screens really are a let down. I know its so petty because I am sure it will be amazing with Warren at the helm but I just really wanted to see those leaked concept pieces brought to life.

Everyone assumes that that concept art is over and done with. This is their first game, no? So who is to say that they won't use those pieces and create another Mickey game on the PS3/360/WiiHD?

Spike said:

why even show the game now? It's not like it's E3 or something.
Dennis Dyack atleast had that excuse.

Spike

7Th said:
Don't release anything until they have something that doesn't look shoddily put togheter?

There was so much hype building from those leaked concept pieces, that most of the magazines probably tried to latch onto it. It could be that they were not planning on showing the game, but GI made a deal with Disney IS and they needed something.

Take for example Splinter Cell Conviction. When it was first shown, Sam looked like a hobo. It was very early and looked nothing like the new version. Yet, so many months later, people see the newer version and how much better it looks. You get to appreciate the work that was done and the direction they went.

Hopefully it will be the same with Mickey. In a few months we should see some more screens, and a big blowout at E3 that will look much better.

markot said:
Any vids of it in motion >.>?
No. And given we didn't receive anything from GI (and cameras were forbidden at the little event they had) we can pretty much conclude we won't be seeing any until probably E3.

Calcaneus

Of course those huge pictures look terrible, the more normal sized screens put the game in a much better light. I liked the little animation clips. The game is not finished yet, and I'm more than willing to give Warren Spector the benefit of the doubt.

soco

Black-Wind said:
Thats just the Retro Style.
Mickey%20&%20Minnie%20AOD%20derren%20Willson.jpg

DS0037.jpg

yeah the problem is that the eyes look different in the picture. it's like the pupils are the wrong size or they're not far enough apart or something. something isn't translating well and it makes him like he has some birth defect.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Hopefully Donald or his robot version get the benefit of going batshit angry with quacking sound effects as Mickey sends him out ahead at command as his own personal killing machine.

The dark place in Oswald's soul is no match for the burning rage of a pants-less duck in a sailor uniform that has killed every man that has ever suggest anger management to his face.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
i've realized why this mickey model looks creepy to me while old drawings of mickey don't: that whole white upper area of his face registers as eyeball. that's not supposed to be the case in old mickey designs, is it? his eyes are just the black spots, right? oh who cares

The original title card, Plane Crazy, and the first couple of minutes of The Galloping Gaucho draw a line separating Mickey's eyeballs from his nose and mouth. I think it look creepy in those too. By the time Steamboat Willie was made (which was the first Mickey cartoon released, but the third made) that line is removed and that area because a hybrid area of face and eyeball. The white area is sometimes used like the whole eyeball, but in most cases the black dot makes up the actual eye... (when Mickey blinks the black dot becomes a line that doesn't extend across the entire white area.) The cartoons were black and white, so you can't really tell what's what. As the character design developed the white area was standardized as part of his face.

(However, early Minnie had a full sized eyelid that covers that entire area.)

soco said:
yeah the problem is that the eyes look different in the picture. it's like the pupils are the wrong size or they're not far enough apart or something. something isn't translating well and it makes him like he has some birth defect.
ffff

You know what it is?

DS0037.jpg

xlxocp.jpg

Those lines above his eyes!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Spike said:
There was so much hype building from those leaked concept pieces, that most of the magazines probably tried to latch onto it. It could be that they were not planning on showing the game, but GI made a deal with Disney IS and they needed something.

Take for example Splinter Cell Conviction. When it was first shown, Sam looked like a hobo. It was very early and looked nothing like the new version. Yet, so many months later, people see the newer version and how much better it looks. You get to appreciate the work that was done and the direction they went.

Hopefully it will be the same with Mickey. In a few months we should see some more screens, and a big blowout at E3 that will look much better.
The new Splinter Cell received a massive overhaul. It's wasn't just a simple iteration of their original plan.

Before then, everyone's criticisms of those original design decisions were completely warranted. Hell, the general negative reaction probably influenced the team in going back to the drawing board. It only helped in making the product better.

If Epic Mickey received a similar radical improvement, to the point where this current stuff is unrecognizable, I could see your point. I'm hoping against all odds that it will.

Firestorm

StormyTheRabbit said:

Christ. Get off your fucking high horse. The game doesn't resemble the concept art in neither visual fidelity nor theme. This doesn't really look thematically like the leaked concept art at all. Hell, we now have new concept art that really makes me think the old concept art was scrapped.

Also, I can want a game to look good if I want to. You value gameplay and don't give a shit about graphics. I want both to be of the highest quality I can get. I have limited time and if I see two good games but one is much more visually appealing, I'll take the one that has both. You can flip your coin all you want. Stop jumping down other people's throats because they're unhappy with how the game is turning out as they hear more about it.

Oh, and game in motion is such a bullshit line. I can't think of many games that looked so much better in motion that they completely discounted how the screens look.

The only good thing I can say is two of the screens do remind me of Psychonauts with their funky colours. And I really, really liked Psychonauts. If Spector can make something as creative and out there as the Milkman Conspiracy, I'll be there Day 1. If not, then I'll wait for the bargain bin as I play other games.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
StormyTheRabbit said:

So in motion the game WILL have atmosphere?

Splatt

That Hades robot enemy looks so dissapointing after seeing the early concept art of him. I think it's the red color scheme that ruins him. They should have left him with a more metallic color.

[Nintex]

I think it looks great and as Warren said some locations will be more twisted than others. I also like the Hero Mickey/Scrapper Mickey idea and I'm sure that the game will improve quite a bit considering it won't be out for another year.

It's also a good thing that they're showing some beta images and an early demo to the press. I'm sure they'll use the feedback to make the game even better.

So I'm assuming the edgy look is for the "older" Mickey audiences cause from those concept sketches I can't see this game getting a "E for Everyone" label....

Gagaman

ShockingAlberto said:
ffff

You know what it is?

DS0037.jpg

xlxocp.jpg

Those lines above his eyes!
Sometimes he had those lines under the eyes, but a lot of times he didn't.
1928-steamboat-willie-62.jpg

Based on the video commentary, I'm still rather excited for this. The fact they compared the 'scrapper' Mickey to how he was in Runaway Brain made me very, very happy. It sounds like a lot of love is going into it and theres a lot of potential in the gameplay ideas. They never did confirm those early steampunk concepts arts were approved designs anyway.

GDGF

Soothsayer
EricDiesel said:
That said, the colors used here are GARISH. Neon purple, pink, blue, green all mashed together with no sense of color design... It just looks bad.

My only complaint. And my only real fear is that this doesn't get "fixed", because apparently whoever is responsible for this doesn't know any better.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
do not read this thread IF:

- you are pregnant
- have a heart condition
- have recently drank in excess of 8 oz. of milk or dairy product
- you are shorter than 40" tall

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Thanks!
Did you have the opporunity at the end to ask some questions we put in here?

Unfortunately not, time was very short. But here are some rough answers based on things he said

To what extent is this game supposed to convey to a new audience the reasons early Disney is great?

He wants to get away from modern attempts to make Mickey "cool", and go back to the original 1920, 30, 40s style stuff. Also, explore things like Mickey's mischievous and slightly less babyish sides, that have been diluted in recent incarnations.
Can you ask for a little more information about the Pixar involvement?

He spoke with John Lasseter who gave him some real food for thought, and helped flesh out the more self referential sides of the game, and how the characters are aware they're in a cartoon. He asked Warren "what does a cartoon character want most?" and apparently that will be a big part of avoiding boss fights. He was quite cryptic, understandably.

If they brought in any Disney, or Pixar animators to either work on the project, or on a regular basis to comment on the animation.

Yes, they showed animation tests to Disney and Pixar people, who told Warren to push the animations even further. Introduce stretching and squidgyness to give a more cartoon like feel.

I would love if you asked why they chose to go for the "babble" instead of real voices. im pretty sure it said that the characters would talk all rare-like (bu-bu-bu-bu-buuuu) in the Gi article.

Yes, they do babble. I think it ties into the unfinished storyboard style of the animations. Plus, the 3D rendered cinematics have little to no voice at all, all visual gags and body language, which is very very nice.

-Just how long has this game been in development? It's been hinted at that it's been around for a couple of years now, and the GI article seems to insinuate the rights to Oswald were re-bought for this game (or at the very least Spector couldn't use Oswald until then), despite the fact that happened back in 2006

Yeah, the Oswald 2006 thing was to do with Epic Mickey. They bought in a bunch of game design students and film students to hash out new Mickey related projects (which actually involved the paint and thinner stuff), and then got Warren Spector in to head the project. It's been underway for a while now.

-How much can we expect the style/look to change level to level? Would he describe the game similar to, say, a 3D Mario platformer, where there's a hub world and different entrances/gateways to other worlds with drastically different environment and styles?

Seems like the game will have a linear progression, but each world exists in its own place, I think.

Seeing the talk about toon versus inert, I'm wondering if they'll attempt something approaching that, so the 'toon' content would look somewhat, er, otherworldly, when compared to the inert content. I would say cel-shaded, but we know that's not it.

Toon stuff is colourful and bubbly and marshmallowy, Inert stuff is dark and evil and static.

Ask him how his previous games are influencing this one? Will we see this as Warren Spector presents Zelda-Like or the natural evolution of Deus Ex and Thief?

Both, really. He mentions Zelda as an influence, but anything to do with moral choices and factions and genre blending comes back to Deus Ex.

5.-His thoughts about Wii hardware, it was enough to meet his vision for the game?

Yes, he can't be arsed to worry about pixel shaders and high definition, and would prefer to just focus on one platform. Then there's the obvious Wii Remote stuff.

Also ask him if what they are doing for Mickey in this game is a company wide change for him or just for this game.

Disney dude and Warren both said that Mickey Mouse is more of an icon, symbol or merchandise image nowadays - kingdom hearts is the only Mickey game they've allowed anyone to make in years, until now. Epic Mickey will be making him into a character people want to play/be, so that could be the start of something.

will we see Oswald anywhere else? Does the company plan to use him for other things along with this reinvented Mickey?

I'm sure you wouldn't go through complicated contract negotiations for one video game.

-are we going to see other disney rides, apart from disneyland, like Tower of Terror in DCA and Disney Studios, Horizons at Epcot, etc... If not, maybe in a sequel?

He is absolutely raiding the archives, so expect lots of crazy stuff, including early designs for rides.

-We know about music in the Its a Small World backstage is a version of it in reverse. Are we going to hear more versions of Disney ride and park famous music.

Like the world itself, the music is a slightly twisted/warped version of classic Disney/Mickey tunes.

I'd just stay away from asking questions with obvious PR answers. Like, he's clearly not going to talk any shit about the Wii's capabilities, so don't both

Lol, I just read this. Thanks for the advice, random NeoGAF guy! Don't worry, I wasn't interested in that shit, but someone bought up Wii and he was like "yeah, its Wii. If its 360 or Ps3, thats Disneys choice, not mine".

e question about a company-wide re-design is a good one. I might want to hear if anything from his previous games specifically informed development of Epic Mickey. And what are the narrative "themes" running through this game? Without getting into the games-as-art argument, the premise sounds like it's trying to say a little bit more than your average game usually does.

Read my feature ;) In short - its about sacrificing personal gain for friends and family, or other way round. Also, redemption plays a big role.

Q2: As Walt Disney company has been telling people of the last few years with the 'It all started with a mouse' speach, is this game a simple exercise for Walt Disney company to sell more branded Mickey goods and making a killing off of the introduction of merchandise with Oswald aswell, than care about the game itself?

Yes, I asked him this question and he said "Disney don't give a fuck 'bout this game, its all about the benjimins!" What are you on. I got a Mickey Mouse shirt, but its not Epic M related. It looks like someones been wearing it for like 10 years, but I guess fucked up clothes and scratched off designs are hip now.

Who came up with the awful name "Epic" Mickey?

Oh that was me, sorry.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
McBacon said:
Yes, they do babble. I think it ties into the unfinished storyboard style of the animations. Plus, the 3D rendered cinematics have little to no voice at all, all visual gags and body language, which is very very nice.
Hell yeah.

Davey Cakes

Dachande said:
This looks awful. A friend just pointed out that it looks like an early third-party Dreamcast game and it really does.
Looks awful, sounds great.

This is what it's like to watch a game's development.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I really hope they do something about that shadowing that separates Mickey's eyes and mouth area. At least town it down a little.

Here's a quick and dirty shop, but I think that not having that line there makes a pretty big difference.

mickey.gif

http://kotaku.com/5392525/disney-considering-movie-comics-for-epic-mickey

I think we already knew that Spector wanted a movie or a comic based off of this game, but some of his quotes in this article are interesting.

"We are putting a lot of muscle behind this. We have an advantage that no one has. You say Mickey and Disney and the whole world changes, everything changes. If anyone has a chance of really delivering something special on the Wii, Nintendo-level special, it's us."

"I certainly have big plans," he said. "Have they been approved? No. But I have had a lot of discussions about what is going to happen next. In my mind it's already a franchise."

"I really can't abide the thought that it will be OK or mediocre," he said. "We are going after Mario and Zelda, Ratchet and Clank, we all aspire to that.

"I don't always succeed, but we're always shooting for the moon," he said. "I'm a man of many motos and one of them is fail gloriously."

JCreasy

Ok, you all know I'm really want to be excited about this game.

But when I hear Spector say stuff like this: "I'm a man of many motos and one of them is fail gloriously."

That doesn't fill me with confidence.

The game graphically so far has failed to impress. I'm still hoping the animation blows me away. But between this statement and his reference to failure in the Game Informer article, I feel like he's well aware of how lack luster the project is already but doesn't care.

Is he open to criticism? Does he care how disappointed gamers are with the graphics? Or is he willing to fail even it means ruining Mickey videogame initiatives for another 10 years?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Looking forward to seeing this in motion as the stills so far are unimpressive. Looks like a mid-gen Gamecube game and the system and art direction can strive to achieve the look of the concept art more.

Im sure it will play fine though :)

Top Bottom