• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Any reviews up yet? The embargo just ended then, supposedly.

6/10 for Push Square

Much like the Victorian city that it's based upon, you have to dig into Assassin's Creed Syndicate in order to identify its problems. The core gameplay loop is solid and it's built upon a sound structure, but familiarity and filler lessen the appeal of this open world outing. Vastly improved performance and all around impressive presentation mean that London's most definitely not burning – but there may be a little panic in the offices at Ubisoft.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/assassins_creed_syndicate

Karak

Now that we can talk about it. My lord the game is fun. The combat is fast and fluid and saving children from the evils of mankind never gets old lol

From videogamer review:

The look of London is great but image quality is generally low, jaggy, with inconsistent texture quality. There's major pop-in at close range (especially while in a horse and cart) and the frame rate tanks in crowd scenes, making those wonderful strolls a chore.

They downgraded the graphics and framerate is still shit. WTF are you doing Ubisoft....

Karak

From videogamer review:

The look of London is great but image quality is generally low, jaggy, with inconsistent texture quality. There's major pop-in at close range (especially while in a horse and cart) and the frame rate tanks in crowd scenes, making those wonderful strolls a chore.

They downgraded the graphics and framerate is still shit. WTF are you doing Ubisoft....

...I would say some of that must be a GFX occasional bug as that did NOT happen to me. In fact popin was changed over to a much more managable fade in versus popin and was noticeably improved and FPS was increased as well.

Karak

Thanks for the honest review. Seems like great sale material.

No problem. If they do a good bug patch this will be rereviewed and most likely be an instant buy. Honestly a very hard conclusion to come to as the games bugs hindered what is a massively enjoyable title and since they are bugs...your never sure everyone will get them. But I have to put my experience not my hope.

KORNdoggy

Videogamer.com review - 5 out of 10.

Incredibly buggy as they describe it.

reads an awful lot like a website trying desperately to justify their earlier comments about a game releasing in an unfit state, despite plenty of other review sites stating otherwise. basically they convinced themselves they wouldn't like it.

Question for the people who've played the game. How do you make money in this? Is it like AC2 where you could buy/upgrade shops, or more like unity?

Karak

Question for the people who've played the game. How do you make money in this? Is it like AC2 where you could buy/upgrade shops, or more like unity?

Pubs and upgrading pubs and the little fiction around them is hilarious like putting on little street soccer games out-front to get more people to stop and possibly drink. Enjoyable fiction actually.

This is silly, but will decide whether I buy this

How much of the game has a broody 'Jack-The-Ripperish' foggy atmosphere? That's the entire draw of Victorian fiction for me, and I haven't seen much of it in the prerelease stuff. The dirtiness and dinginess is there, but not the creepiness if you know what I mean

Lime

But let's be real, Ubisoft should've spiced things up a bit with a love story between the twins.

fc,550x550,royal_blue.u2.jpg

Lime

This is silly, but will decide whether I buy this

How much of the game has a broody 'Jack-The-Ripperish' foggy atmosphere? That's the entire draw of Victorian fiction for me, and I haven't seen much of it in the prerelease stuff. The dirtiness and dinginess is there, but not the creepiness if you know what I mean

Yeah I totally agree - the lighting and color tone of the presentation doesn't echo stuff like From Hell, for example. It's much more yellow-tinted, drab, and flat.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Aside from glitches, the game sounds outstanding. And glitches seem to be hit and miss. 15 hours til unlock... Can't wait!!!

Seems the mixed reviews are coming from the fact some people still enjoy AC, while others are burned out on it. I think an easy way to sum it up is this:

If you still enjoy AC, then this is a big improvement over Unity, yes there are still some bugs, but it's nothing close to being broken like Unity was. If you are burned out on the series then this won't change your mind.

But some of the improvements already sound much better than Unity:

No multiplayer
No crappy online server,
No companion app stuff,
More stable framerate,
Not as many major bugs,
London - well designed map,
Good characters / Story,

For me that's enough to pick this up.

No problem. If they do a good bug patch this will be rereviewed and most likely be an instant buy. Honestly a very hard conclusion to come to as the games bugs hindered what is a massively enjoyable title and since they are bugs...your never sure everyone will get them. But I have to put my experience not my hope.

I had one bug where I put a hijack victim in a carriage and then he disappeared.

That was my only major one. Two floating dudes, but those corrected themselves immediately.

Karak

I had one bug where I put a hijack victim in a carriage and then he disappeared.

That was my only major one. Two floating dudes, but those corrected themselves immediately.

Not sure if you saw my video but my favorite one was the world just turning completely black lol but still having to fight the enemies hahahah

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
My Best Buy is saying the game is ready for pickup. I thought the game was to be released tomorrow? I'll go after work and see if I can pick it up. Same happened with Tales of Zestiria. It was available for me a day earlier. I can't complain. ;)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is the whole "You got to play as the guy for 75% of missions" thing still apply? I heard you can do most missions with Evie. Would push me towards a purchase...

Skux

Is the whole "You got to play as the guy for 75% of missions" thing still apply? I heard you can do most missions with Evie. Would push me towards a purchase...

It's more balanced between the two, and in the open world missions you can switch whenever you like, although impressions say that there really isn't that much difference between them - both are equally competent in stealth and combat.

Generally, each character gets 2 or 3 story missions per sequence, though Jacob gets a later sequence to himself.

Out in the open world our in non story missions? You can play whoever.

Nori Chan

One of my favorite parts of each AC game is getting the master assassin gear/costume for the assassin of the game. I wonder how Jacobs and Evie's look like and the other costumes in it. They got some sort of destiny cloak for Evie lol

Morts

Was really disappointed in Unity, but after reading a few reviews I think I'm in on this one. Just not until I started and finish that Witcher 3 expansion...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Generally, each character gets 2 or 3 story missions per sequence, though Jacob gets a later sequence to himself.

Out in the open world our in non story missions? You can play whoever.

That sounds good. Add the fact that I skipped Unity, and I'm very tempted to shank some people in London...

Top Bottom